REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 10:40 AM   #12826
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhanger33 View Post
So fun fact, Torts when coaching TBL had been in a very similar situation as last night. TBL was up 3 goals in the third and they blew the tire, and let in 6 in the third against BUF. Check out game summary of that game:

Game Summary
Dang what a blast from the past. Karri Ramo was the losing goalie, with Mike Smith as a backup. And that was when Vanek was an elite player.
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2014, 10:40 AM   #12827
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,553 Times in 1,706 Posts
My company actually handles the benefit consulting for Aramark. Aramark employees I believe are part of Local 40, which is the unionized hospitality industry. So this change is simply union busting, the Canucks are likely looking to get away from Unionized workers in order to hire $9 hour temp employees, with little to no benefits. Just another example of the greed of this ownership group. I bet you one thing too, after they make these changes and hire non-unionized employees, the food and drinks prices won't drop, nor will the ticket prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
Aquilini is probably thinking that he can make more money by hiring foreign workers to work in his arena's concession stands. Pay these workers lower wages and fewer, if any benefits so that he can count more dollar bills.

He treats the Canucks like one of his blueberry farm businesses. An arrogant, egotistic guy who knows nothing about running a NHL team. He micromanages it to make it profitable at the expense of the quality of team's play.

Based on the previous post about that Canucks ownership article, Gaglardi would have been a better owner in terms of letting a veteran GM build the team.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:02 AM   #12828
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
ya got the email regarding aramark yesterday from HR.

I wonder if event staff will be unionized after the cba expires this september.

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Old 03-11-2014, 11:08 AM   #12829

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Buddy, fuck the Canucks y0

/surrey jack voice
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2014, 11:12 AM   #12830
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
My company actually handles the benefit consulting for Aramark. Aramark employees I believe are part of Local 40, which is the unionized hospitality industry. So this change is simply union busting, the Canucks are likely looking to get away from Unionized workers in order to hire $9 hour temp employees, with little to no benefits. Just another example of the greed of this ownership group. I bet you one thing too, after they make these changes and hire non-unionized employees, the food and drinks prices won't drop, nor will the ticket prices
not only will the ticket and drink prices won't go down at all but shouldn't it go up to compensate for the lost attendance (sales) which will most likely happen next season if current trend continues? that is of course if the canucks management wants to keep the same profit they're making now.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:48 AM   #12831
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
Mike hit the spot ^. My gf works at Rogers but she also has other jobs. It's gonna be hard for her to find a place that will hire her , paying her 13-15$ an hr for a shift or two a week. Which works perfect with her schedule. She's worried , but some of the people she told me that just got hired or work once a week because it fits with their schedule, were so heartbroken since they know it'll be hard to find a job that will accept that. She's choked but I feel even worse for others that work there. She's not reapplying to work minimum wage with no benefits
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-11-2014, 12:06 PM   #12832
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,486 Times in 1,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post

All these changes with Aramark and Aquilini lowering his concession staff payroll may impact some of my colleagues who render decisions on the hiring of foreign workers through a government HR department. He needs work permits, eh?

Food counter attendant applications from Aquilini Investments coming my way. He makes worker harder for people even when they are not directly working for him. Fuuuuu!

Should refuse those applications to hire these foreign workers so that Aquaman cannot get what he wishes.

Officer Rationale: "The owner is a micromanaging, egotistical person who is ruining the Canucks" LOL. Just Kidding.

Last edited by pastarocket; 03-11-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:28 PM   #12833
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS1992EG View Post
We drafted well in the past:

Alex Edler, Ryan Kesler, Sedin's, Mason Raymond, Cody Hodgson, Micheal Grabner, Cory Schneider.

Don't think we can't pick up someone that we can build from.

Forgot JUICE... He's going down with our ship.
It's nice to know that in 14 years of drafting, we yielded 10 NHL caliber players

Ya bro, lets bank on our great drafting to turn things around!
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-11-2014, 02:11 PM   #12834
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS1992EG View Post
We drafted well in the past:

Alex Edler, Ryan Kesler, Sedin's, Mason Raymond, Cody Hodgson, Micheal Grabner, Cory Schneider.

Don't think we can't pick up someone that we can build from.

Forgot JUICE... He's going down with our ship.
Hockey News just reviewed the prospect pool for each team and Canucks ranked 28th. Not sure where drafted well came from?
Old 03-11-2014, 02:37 PM   #12835

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
this organization cant draft so just tank. JFC

Its easy for people who jumps on the bandwagon to say make the playoffs. For those who watches every game is heart breaking without a top 3 pick to watch
Posted via RS Mobile
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-11-2014, 02:46 PM   #12836
Big Drama Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Earl View Post
this organization cant draft so just tank. JFC

Its easy for people who jumps on the bandwagon to say make the playoffs. For those who watches every game is heart breaking without a top 3 pick to watch
Posted via RS Mobile
Ya bro, since we don't draft well, let's tank and draft some more shitty players!
Old 03-11-2014, 03:26 PM   #12837
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XplicitLuder View Post
Mike hit the spot ^. My gf works at Rogers but she also has other jobs. It's gonna be hard for her to find a place that will hire her , paying her 13-15$ an hr for a shift or two a week. Which works perfect with her schedule. She's worried , but some of the people she told me that just got hired or work once a week because it fits with their schedule, were so heartbroken since they know it'll be hard to find a job that will accept that. She's choked but I feel even worse for others that work there. She's not reapplying to work minimum wage with no benefits
Posted via RS Mobile
Well to be honest it doesn't take a lot of skills to work there. I bet a ton of people will line to work for min wage though.

This reminded of when working at PNE. Getting pay more than Min wage and doing jack -D
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2014, 04:00 PM   #12838
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Need to change up the scouts, get early pick but can still mess it up and draft shit
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-11-2014, 04:50 PM   #12839
My homepage has been set to RS

At this point, I'd be happy with a 8-10 pick this year as long as we don't go off the board like retards. I can't see us making the playoffs, and even if we do, we wont make it anywhere.

Brendan Perlini, Jake Virtanen, Michael Dal Colle, and Nick Ritchie are all guys I'd love to snag.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:51 PM   #12840
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts

Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-11-2014, 05:18 PM   #12841
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristianhay View Post
At this point, I'd be happy with a 8-10 pick this year as long as we don't go off the board like retards. I can't see us making the playoffs, and even if we do, we wont make it anywhere.

Brendan Perlini, Jake Virtanen, Michael Dal Colle, and Nick Ritchie are all guys I'd love to snag.
Not looking forward to this draft. Our only good scouts were in Sweden (Head scout - Gradin) and the OHL (Head scout - Gagner) and Gagner left to join Hockey Canada at the beginning of the season.

I'm not even sure who our head OHL scout is now.

And how Delorme is still our Chief Amateur Scout is just a mind-fuck. Snepsts handles the WHL (+ BCHL, AJHL, and other western leagues) ... quite poorly, I may add.

Quote:
Spoiler!
Old 03-11-2014, 05:43 PM   #12842

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare604 View Post
Ya bro, since we don't draft well, let's tank and draft some more shitty players!
tanking meaning getting top 5 pick, potentially 1st overall... and if it turns out to be a bust we're just bad luck
Old 03-11-2014, 05:51 PM   #12843
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
They played much better when MG was still the coach, Especially in the playoffs.

Totally the coaches fault, IMO. I bet if they fire him tomorrow, they will go on a huge run the rest of the way, and make the playoffs. From there, they will probably go all the way and win the cup.

The team is built for a cup run, it's just that we don't have the right coach.
Aware me on where I clearly said or implied that Torts is to blame for absolutely everything and he should be fired and that we would go win the cup with anybody else. Anybody with a brain knows that this team is not going to go anywhere soon.

Coaches true "power" and "influence" are truly seen when a team is in a terrible slump, not when a team is on a winning streak. That being said, Torts did not do any damage control at all last night. As soon as the third goal (second in 2X seconds) went in, a time out should have been called, it should almost be a GIVEN for this team, because its happened time and time again this season. As stated before, his bitching with all his veins popping out is STALE, so he should consider other options. Perhaps tell Juice/Kesler/some other leader on the team to say a couple things, or let his assistant coach say a couple things, or even just tell the team to relax, keep it simple etc. His infamous "rage" gets to a point of no return and no effect. During this T/O he could have also could have communicated with Lack a bit too.

By the time the 4th one went past Lack, he should have pulled him regardless of whether he wanted to stay in or not. Even when Lu used to get lit up AV would pull him even if he said I want to stay in. Last night was the best recipe to destroy Lack's confidence.

So what does it come down to? It's the system, as people have hinted in recent months. We don't have Torts type players (Callahan, Kane, Wheeler, etc) to carry out this shot blocking, collapsing system. It isn't a coincidence that we have seen more lower body injuries this season either, also has anybody noticed that numerous players have been seen walking with a boot as well? Torts is guy that rarely blames shit play on injuries, and he did last week in a post presser, waving the proverbial white flag.

It's also mismanagement when you consistently have four players under 10 minutes a game. Last night it was against NYI, who don't have Moulson/Vankek/Tavares(i) anymore and we were up a couple goals playing well, yet they still didn't get minutes. As they play less, the Sedins have played more with a defensive role as well which technically should be fine cause of their endurance BUT, their offensive game is going down the drain because of this coupled with the fact that they are declining. Notice that their possession game is bad now (before Danny got hurt), they can't string together passes, they don't have ANY transition game (remember they used to catch defenders out of position and throw a pass/shoot and somehow get a goal). So what have they done? Dump and chase, dump and chase, dump and chase, and now the whole team is doing it. Defensively, all we do is chip the puck out, lose possession a lot of the time and its fired or carried back in. Were we not a puck possession, transition team before?

Now, if we had three lines of Higgy Kesler Santo, this system might actually have a chance, but we don't so that's that. Now that we are in a slump, the team has given up on Torts and his system. As stated before, he's benching guys more often so what does everybody do? Do "safe"(which isn't safe anymore because everybody knows it) defensive play, dump and chase, chip it out, and we are stuck in a conundrum, take a bad penalty? make a bad play? look back at the bench and your coach is facepalming you. This body language isn't the best for a team in the predicament we are in now.

So either we lose Torts, or we lose the system, or we rebuild to facilitate the system (not happening).

Before anybody rages, Torts is a good coach - if he has a group of players that complement and buy-into his system, but our players don't fit that mold.

tldr;
THE SYSTEM DOES NOT WORK.

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2014, 06:31 PM   #12844

Thanked 3,486 Times in 1,686 Posts
I agree that Torts' system does not work well with our team
roster. The problem is that it is too late into the season for a coach to implement a new system
even if Torts has something else in his bag of tricks. It takes most teams an entire season to fully understand a coach's new system.

If Aquaman acknowledges a proper rebuild is needed with new players and a new system, then a new
coach and GM need to be hired. Is the puppetmaster willing to let go of his micromanaging ways
to let a veteran GM do his job?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-11-2014, 06:59 PM   #12845

IMO, we need to trade Sedin's, Kesler, Edler, etc. while their value is still high to teams that could use one more piece to put them over the edge as top playoff contenders in exchange for their top prospects....

We're not the Detroit Red Wings - we can't build on the fly....we have some solid players, though most are probably nearing the ends of their primes...We're best off sending them out for some solid young dudes and doing a total rebuild.

As of right now, I don't see anything to look forward to EXCEPT the thought of trading our established dudes for a bright future.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:06 PM   #12846
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not really racist! View Post

Before anybody rages, Torts is a good coach - if he has a group of players that complement and buy-into his system, but our players don't fit that mold.
A good coach would work with what they have at hand and make adjustments. Still, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. The team is not horrible. They just need a good leader. IMHO, the C is on the wrong person. In fact, the team has no real leader. I cannot think of one person on the roster that can fit the bill.

Where's Trevor Linden when you need him?
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:09 PM   #12847
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,312 Times in 5,633 Posts
fail all you want, IMO a team in Canada needs a canadian captain, or at the very least a North American who plays the Canadian way

lean back on "oh there's been Euro captains who've won"

yea, you mean Chara and Lidstrom? argueably one of the best Dman of all time? yea.. thats not hank.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:10 PM   #12848

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
IMHO, the C is on the wrong person. In fact, the team has no real leader. I cannot think of one person on the roster that can fit the bill.
Again, the "C" doesn't mean shit.....A captain will act as a captain regardless of who has the "C"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
fail all you want, IMO a team in Canada needs a canadian captain, or at the very least a North American who plays the Canadian way

lean back on "oh there's been Euro captains who've won"

yea, you mean Chara and Lidstrom? argueably one of the best Dman of all time? yea.. thats not hank.

It has nothing to do with where they are from.....That's the dumbest shit I've heard....It's as simple as the fact that they aren't enforcers, they both seem like quiet guys that just go out and do their thing....Chara, Lidstrom, etc....Those guys are enforcers. It has nothing to do with whether a guy is Canadian, American, Swedish, or African...

I, personally, couldn't see the Sedin's getting me fired up for anything....They seem very passive.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:20 PM   #12849
Big Drama Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballguy View Post
I, personally, couldn't see the Sedin's getting me fired up for anything....They seem very passive.
Which is why they played so well under AV

"Guys, lets just go out there and do our best."
Old 03-11-2014, 07:23 PM   #12850
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare604 View Post
Which is why they played so well under AV

"Guys, lets just go out there and do our best."
Early in the year, the Sedins were allowed to go out there and play their game

then something happened and nothing is clicking
Closed Thread