REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 07:44 AM   #776
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,812 Times in 8,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post
What do you mean "have to"?

If he does well in camp, sure.

If not, back to juniors/AHL.

For all we know he could thrive right into the NHL, we just have to wait and see.

The Canucks don't HAVE to put into BoHo into the lineup if he's not ready, just to prove a point
Typically teams won't play a rookie unless they are REALLY good.. if that's the case here, then great. Otherwise it would be an indication that they didn't build their team properly, and are forced to bring in prospects before they have the chance to develop properly
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2013, 07:59 AM   #777
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
He's a 2 way player so conceivably he could play in the bottom 6 but odds are you don't want a young prospect playing 6-10 minutes a game

Also regarding the Schneider thing Cherry came out on his twitter yesterday and essentially said the same thing, value was so much higher (potentially) when Corey was hot and on a roll in the regular season, the return probably would have been higher than but how much higher is up for debate

I'd say the return for schneids was better than what Bernier fetched
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-02-2013, 08:28 AM   #778
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

From Elliot Friedman's 30 thoughts blog:

30 Thoughts: Focus switches to NHL free agents, offer sheets | Hockey | CBC Sports

13. The Vancouver Canucks and Roberto Luongo: If organization and player could go back in time one year, how much differently would each side handle this? Luongo and Cory Schneider were blown away by the decision to trade the latter and there's really no other conclusion than Canucks GM Mike Gillis only committed to that course of action in the last few days. There is a theory that team owner Francesco Aquilini would not approve a buyout and, when it came to trading Luongo, it sounds like, at this time, Gillis was more concerned about future "cap recapture" penalties if Luongo retired early rather than a limited return.

14. Gillis made it very clear last Saturday that Schneider could be traded. Did either agent contact him looking for information? Good question.

15. I remember interviewing football coach Marv Levy once and asking him about retiring. He basically said, "Once you''ve decided to retire, retire. You can't postpone it until after a season because you've made your decision." I thought about this quote after the Schneider trade because there is no doubt that, mentally, Luongo is gone from Vancouver. He so badly wanted a fresh start. Ultimately, the contract will force him to return, but it would be a mistake to underestimate how much of an adjustment this is going to be. The first thing he's thinking is, "How many goals will I give up before people start saying, 'They should have kept Schneider?'" It's tough to be positive with that on your mind.

16. Aquilini visited him on the weekend and Gillis will make a trip, too. If I was them, I would be stressing that, right now, the Canadian Olympic goaltending job is wide open. If he comes back to Vancouver and plays well, he's got a superb shot at being the guy. That's a positive. You've got to get him thinking about good things.

17. What the Canucks do over the next couple of weeks will also have an effect. Bo Horvat is an enticing prospect -- one scout said, "When the trade was announced, the guys at our table were saying that he's involved in every big goal" -- but he does not help Vancouver right now. Can Gillis make a move that convinces Luongo the team will be better?

18. I don't have a problem with no-trade clauses, but sometimes they burn the player as much as the team. Luongo could have gone to the Toronto Maple Leafs at last year's draft, but he was focussed on Florida and declined. The Panthers, knowing they were in a position of strength, drew a hard line. Just before the lockout, it was believed both Toronto and Edmonton were possible destinations. Again, it didn't happen. Toronto left the picture once team president and GM Brian Burke was fired.

19. The Oilers kept their interest in Vancouver's goaltending decision, culminating in last weekend's conversations for Schneider. The Canucks asked for a lot (seventh-overall pick, a second-rounder and a prospect), but Edmonton wasn't going that far. If Gillis was going to send him to a potential playoff opponent, the cost was going to be huge.

20. I wondered if the Islanders would make a play for Schneider. Hard to see the Canucks doing it without New York's first-round pick, but there is a belief that Garth Snow was going to trade either Nino Niederreiter or that selection, but not both. Niederreiter, of course, went to the Minnesota Wild for Cal Clutterbuck.

21. I thought MacTavish was smart to wait. Everyone knows he is so eager to make moves. That's when you must be your most patient. You can make a very big mistake under those circumstances.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:12 AM   #779
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by nah View Post
Gillis could have had Bozak and Kadri last year for Luongo.

Which would you have?

Schneider
Bozak
Kadri

vs

Luongo
Horvath
Kadri was never offered. That proposal was rejected by Toronto....
Old 07-02-2013, 11:13 AM   #780

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Would coulda ship has sailed. Have to deal with today not what could have been last year. We could play the would have good have game forever, 2007 we could have PK Subban instead of Patrick White. 2008 Karrlson or Eberle instead of Hodgson and on and on.

Did he make mistake? Probably, no going back now and like my daddy always taught me only worry about what you can control. We need a GM that can see 10 years into the future, he'll make the bestest trades and draft like a fucking boss....find that guy and fire MG.
Nonis drafted White...Dave Perron was the projected pick that fell to the Canucks lap and Nonis decided to go off the boards to draft white a projected late second rounder....
Old 07-02-2013, 11:33 AM   #781
Rs has made me the man i am today!

FRENZY WATCH: TUESDAY'S FREE AGENT RUMOURS FROM THE NHL

Quote:

With the NHL's free agency period just days away from opening, teams are making decisions on how to build their rosters for next season. Check out today's rumours and speculation from around the NHL beat, and follow TSN.ca each day until July 5 for all the updates.

Be sure to tune in to TSN and visit TSN.ca on July 5 for Free Agent Frenzy, starting at Noon et/9am pt.

Vinny Love

According to TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun of ESPN.com, it's 'very possible, although not quite a guarantee,' that Vincent Lecavalier will choose his next team by the end of Wednesday.

Lecavalier, who's allowed to speak with teams earlier than other unrestricted free agents because his contract was bought out, has been deliberating with family on the best fit.

LeBrun reiterated that the Dallas Stars, Detroit Red Wings, Montreal Canadiens, Toronto Maple Leafs, Boston Bruins, St. Louis Blues, Washington Capitals, Philadelphia Flyers, Anaheim Ducks, Vancouver Canucks and Calgary Flames have all shown interest and that any deal with the Canadiens depends on whether he wants to 'go home' and deal with both the perks and detriments of playing there.

LeBrun adds that if the Habs are the team, it will not be for the same kind of money or term other clubs would have offered and that he would put on the bleu, blanc et rouge because he 'really, really wants' to be one.

While Nashville Predators GM David Poile suggested to his local media Tuesday that Lecavalier would prefer to stay in the East, LeBrun reports that it 'does not preclude him from playing in Dallas' and that the Stars are a 'solid possibility' if he wants to remain in a quiet, non-traditional hockey place like he did playing in Tampa.

Twin City Trim

The Minnesota Wild jettisoned Cal Clutterbuck at Sunday's NHL Draft, but the payroll trimming in light of last summer's spending spree could still continue as the team aims to fit itself within the confines of next season's shrinking salary cap.

The Minneapolis Star-Tribune's Michael Russo outlined some of the potential moves for the Wild to get their payroll in check including possibly letting free agent forward Matt Cullen hit the open market.

Russo also looks at the possibility of buying out defenceman Tom Gilbert as well as a troika of trade targets, including Devin Setoguchi, Zenon Konopka and – from the longshot bracket – Dany Heatley.

A New Jersey

One of the hottest names available this summer will undoubtedly be New Jersey Devils forward David Clarkson.

Devils beat reporter Tom Gulitti reported that Clarkson and his camp are prepared to move on and test the free agent waters after the 29-year-old forward officially hit the open market on Monday.

Clarkson's agent Pat Moriss was candid about the ball being firmly in New Jersey general manager Lou Lamoriello's court if he wants their bruising scorer back.

“We have no need to call him,” Moriss told Gulitti. “New Jersey is the one facing life without David.”
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #782

I honestly wished the Canucks picked Valeri Nichushkin over Bo Horvat. Valeri the offense skilled forward rather than the safe two way player the Canucks always seem to draft. We are missing players with flash and Valeri was a project top 6 pick by all accounts that fell.

It's not hindsight but I felt the same way the very day we passed on Kopitar who fell and picked Bourdon over him. Bourdon was projected to be a late 15-20 pick that year I believe but we picked him instead of Kopitar.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #783

Canucks basically are stuck with Booth at $4.2M...money we could've used towards bidding for Vincent Lecavalier's services.

Sad times.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #784

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuff99 View Post
I honestly wished the Canucks picked Valeri Nichushkin over Bo Horvat. Valeri the offense skilled forward rather than the safe two way player the Canucks always seem to draft. We are missing players with flash and Valeri was a project top 6 pick by all accounts that fell.

It's not hindsight but I felt the same way the very day we passed on Kopitar who fell and picked Bourdon over him. Bourdon was projected to be a late 15-20 pick that year I believe but we picked him instead of Kopitar.
Nichushkin has said that if he doesn't make the team he'd go back to the KHL, doesn't want to play in the AHL.

It's all in who you ask. Sure he may have been a top 6 pick by some accounts, but one GM also had Horvat as high as 4.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #785
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

There will always be the "would've could've should've" in drafts.. There's really no point of going back in time

like.. we couldve had kopitar,perron,karlsson,eberle etc. It's easier to say these things now when the players have panned out

Shinkaruk fell to us when some scouts had him in the top 10 or 15
Old 07-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #786
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuff99 View Post

inb4 Nichushkin pans out to be an Alexander Svitov

If Hovat, Gaunce, Kassian, Jensen, Mallet, Labate, Shinkaruk and Corrado all develop properly, our core will have a very, very different look than it does today

dat grit and character
Old 07-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #787
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Flames get TJ Galiardi from the Sharks for a fourth round pick in 2014. Tegra will be pleased
Old 07-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #788
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Bozak's camp puts eight-year proposal on table for Leafs

Bozak agent asking leafs 5mil @8 years. WTF? Bozak.am I missing something here? WhAts so good about this guy? Why are teams overpaying for mediocre players these days?
Old 07-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #789
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Bozak is only worth 2.5-3.5 lol
Old 07-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #790
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Come on. Clarkson and Pouliot to toughen up the team!
Old 07-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #791
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,172 Times in 2,405 Posts
Letang; 8-year, $58 million extension
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
Old 07-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #792

Kris Letang's $7.25-million cap hit will be third among NHL defencemen -- behind Shea Weber ($7.86M) and Ryan Suter ($7.54M).

The Pens have a lot tied up in three contracts, but the cap is expected to rocket up to $80M in 2-3 years.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #793

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_BIGGS View Post
Kris Letang's $7.25-million cap hit will be third among NHL defencemen -- behind Shea Weber ($7.86M) and Ryan Suter ($7.54M).

The Pens have a lot tied up in three contracts, but the cap is expected to rocket up to $80M in 2-3 years.
Go to 80M..you have facts behind that? Or just assuming?
Old 07-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #794

Thanked 7,318 Times in 647 Posts
Lecavalier to Flyers!
Old 07-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #795

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUUUUUUUU View Post
Lecavalier to Flyers!
TEAM Radio ‏@TEAM1040 6m
RT @tpanotchcsn: Source says 5 year $23.5 mill for Lecavalier as a Flyer. checking on that
Old 07-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #796

Quote:
TEAM Radio ‏@TEAM1040 6m
RT @tpanotchcsn: Source says 5 year $23.5 mill for Lecavalier as a Flyer. checking on that
Yep was just going to post that
Old 07-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #797
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 34s
5 years, $4.5 per for Vinny in Philly confirmed.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 07-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #798

TEAM Radio ‏@TEAM1040 1m

RT @davidalter590: The Leafs have officially bought out Mike Komisarek.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #799

good deal for vinny! cheaper than what Bozak wants
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #800
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
good deal for vinny! cheaper than what Bozak wants
When I read the tsn article about bozak wanting 5 for 8 years, I thought I misread the name or thought there was a typo. Who the hell is going to pay that much for bozak?!

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Closed Thread