REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #5376
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
So with that recapture they moved the age to 35? Cause it used to be 32 no?
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
Old 10-29-2013, 03:41 PM   #5377
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
My guess is that Gillis is trying to keep the core of our team intact, and hope that Torts can improve the development of our young players like Kassian and Santorelli so that we have a balanced team on offence.

-sort of trying to emulate San Jose with its veteran stars Thornton and Marleau, and the young guys like Pavelski, Couture, and Burns.

This season and the playoffs will be used to determine whether the Sedins are worth it in the long run to be Canucks in terms of our playoff success. Do you keep the twins or do a complete rebuild of the first line?
Santorelli is hardly a young guy. He turns 28 in December so he's already developed. He just needs to show he deserves top six minutes.
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by MR_BIGGS; 10-29-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:50 PM   #5378
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Posted via RS Mobile
Cap Recapture is brand new.

Have fun ...
Quote:
Spoiler!
Old 10-29-2013, 04:00 PM   #5379
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Worst scenario = Sedins unable to sign before the deadline, similar to alfie and losing them for nothing.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #5380
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Anyone wanna bet on it? Im willing to bet $100 the sedins will re-sign with the Nucks
Old 10-29-2013, 04:57 PM   #5381

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS View Post
Anyone wanna bet on it? Im willing to bet $100 the sedins will re-sign with the Nucks
I'll take that bet at 100:1 odds ... Loonie for you if they don't
Old 10-29-2013, 05:06 PM   #5382

The brand would take such a PR hit it wouldn't happen

Only highly educated hockey fans would get the move, everyone else would think the world is over. Nucks fans are fairly smart but not enough to perceive a move like that
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-29-2013, 06:44 PM   #5383
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Canucks can see the backlash that the Send and Melnyk got with the whole Alfie situation, so I don't think they'll pull the same stunt on the Sedins
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-29-2013, 07:04 PM   #5384
kwy
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,715 Times in 595 Posts
amateur hour at comcast sports

1989 BMW 525i
2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
2006 Mazda 3
2008 Jeep Liberty
2003 Infiniti G35
1995 Eagle Talon
1984 Chevrolet Corvette
1981 Pontiac Trans Am
1992 BMW 535i
This post thanked by:
Old 10-29-2013, 07:17 PM   #5385
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
tfw i got chirped for picking martin st. louis for my pool

and by pool, I mean swimming pool

wat
Old 10-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #5386
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Posted via RS Mobile
basically cap recapture closes the old LUPOL of gm's throwing huge money to players in the first few years, then pennies towards the end of the contract with the expectation that they will retire before their contract ends, thereby decreasing the average annual salary (caphit) to the team.

with the new/current cba, annual salaries cannot deviate by more than 10% each season I believe, which eliminates a gm's ability to front load a contract. and contracts can only be a max of 8 years long so the money can't be spread out as long as before (ie. 13 years) so we'll end up seeing higher average annual salaries as a result.

so the only risk a team has now by signing a player long term and having them retire before the contract is over is if the player is 35+ when signing the contract which was a carry over from the old cba (i think). the entire remaining contract counts against the team's cap. so you won't see guys 35+ signing the 7-8 year deals, but 34 and under for sure, since there isn't really any risk to the team.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:55 PM   #5387
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Canucks can see the backlash that the Send and Melnyk got with the whole Alfie situation, so I don't think they'll pull the same stunt on the Sedins
Posted via RS Mobile
the Sens losing Alfie for nothing will be nothing compared to losing the Sedins for nothing. Alfie is into the moonlight years of his career, by all accounts this will be his last year in the league before calling it quits. His old contract with the Sens was structured the way it was in anticipation of him retiring after 2011-12; the Sens got his services last year for 1M. For perspective, that is the same as what Maxim Lapierre was paid last season. The Sens didn't really lose a whole lot asset-wise by letting Alfie walk, aside from their longtime captain and heart and soul of the franchise.

The Sedins are arguably still in the primes of their careers. by the way things are looking they can have 2-3 elite seasons left in them, and another 2-5 solid 2nd/3rd line worthy seasons after that. These assets are not something you would let walk away for nothing. So if you don't sign them, you have to trade them. But nobody would be willing to pay the equivalent of what they would be worth to us over the next 8 years since they'll need to be moved as a pair, if you could even place a value of what they would be worth on the trade market. So really, the only option you're left with is to sign them for 3 years and swallow a high cap hit then re-sign them again after that or let them walk; or re-sign them to the max 8 years to save 2M caphit, which will in all likelihood be the last meaningful contracts of their careers.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:01 PM   #5388
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
If only.... Sedins for Malkin?

Kunitz Crosby Dupuis
Sedin Sedin Neal

Malkin does not play up to his maximum potential when crosby is in the line up. He goes beast mode when Crosby is injured or during playoffs...
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-29-2013, 11:49 PM   #5389
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Wooooo Kessel with 4pts and Reimer with 43 save SO

Optimus Reim vs Mega Jon - win win really
Old 10-29-2013, 11:53 PM   #5390

At this point, I think the Marlies could beat the Oilers in a best of 7 quite handily.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:34 AM   #5391
My homepage has been set to RS

lol looks like the flames are fairing better at this point than the oilers

tegra_devil

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
Old 10-30-2013, 02:48 AM   #5392
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

This post thanked by:
Old 10-30-2013, 04:16 AM   #5393
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
All that talent on the Oilers and they still suck so bad. I really thought the Oilers would be much better this season and this awful. I do feel that at some point in the near future this Oilers team will explode like the Avs and be a dominate team. The two key areas I see for improvement for the Oilers is their defense and a need for a solid goalie. They might have to trade a prospect to get to the next level, lets see how ballsy McTavish is.

And as for the Sedins, I personally don't see them leaving Vancouver. They love the city, their the faces of the Canucks franchise and even though they have their ups and downs it would be very hard to replace both of them and I personally think it would mess up the team chemistry if they every left. And when I think of the Sedins leaving, I think of the Flamers without Iginla. It feels weird not seeing Iginla in a Flamers jersey because he was the face of the team.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #5394

It's a telling stat that the Leafs' top line was plus 4 and the Oilers line was minus 4. They simply got dominated. The rebuild that Tambellini did has not worked out so far at all. I don't think they will explode in the near future. That's been the thought for almost four years now. Until they get a top dman and a goalie who can stop a beach ball, they will continue to suck.

Someone might have posted this some pages back, but pretty cool feature on Bure.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/page.htm...id=DL|VAN|home

Last edited by MR_BIGGS; 10-30-2013 at 07:09 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-30-2013, 09:11 AM   #5395

I take quite a bit of joy in seeing the oilers fail
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 10-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #5396

I don't even think it's a personnel problem in Edmonton. It's been the same story for years; terrible culture. Coach after coach after coach has gone through the franchise saying the same thing. MacT, Pat Quinn, Tom Renney, Ralph Krueger, and now Dallas Eakins have all got the same result because it's a problem the coaches have no control over.

MacT called out the players for being lazy, refusing to listen, etc.
Quinn ditto.
Renney ditto.
Krueger never did, but you could see the results were the same.
Eakins benched Yakupov and Oilers fans went nuts.

On Penner
Quote:
"He's not competitive enough or fit enough to help us, so why put him back in? He's never been fit enough to help us," Oilers head coach Craig MacTavish told the Sun. "We signed him to be a top-two line player and that's kind of where it ended. The difference was we thought the contract was a starting point, and he's viewed it as a finish line.

"What we've seen is inconsistency, we need him to be a better player," MacTavish told the Sun. "You can't just continue to throw gratuitous ice time at a guy that is that inconsistent. Something's got to change.

"The frustrating thing for me is that he's got the game and he just can't find it. You have to put the work in. He's got the game. He's got a great set of tools, he just lacks the horsepower."
We've heard the same of Hemsky, Horcoff, etc. and now we're hearing it with Yakupov. RNH signed to a $6M/year long-term contract for doing nothing. Yakupov knows he'll get the same regardless of performance because of his pedigree.

Souray nearly had his career ended because he called the organization out.

Exclusive: Sheldon Souray asks to be traded - Sportsnet.ca
Quote:
"I got challenged by management on the very first day of my first training camp. The very first day," he said. "They said, ‘When are you going to play?’ I said, ‘I have a six month (shoulder) injury and I’m at five months.’ But I played.

"I’ve had the experience of playing in great organizations (in New Jersey and Montreal), and experienced a vastly different approach to things like that. I was a captain in Montreal. I never had my character questioned there, or in New Jersey. I feel that’s all I’ve had since I’ve been here.’"

“You talk about Prongs (Chris Pronger) and guys like that, and it should raise an eyebrow when players who leave town are skipping out with a smile on their face.”
Is it any wonder that Hemsky, Horcoff, and now RNH are always injured?

Is it any wonder that as soon as guys leave the Oilers, they start playing substantially better with substantially more effort?

Edmonton will never be a contender until they clear out upper management. The day Kevin Lowe gets canned is the day I'll be afraid of the Oilers.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-30-2013, 09:37 AM   #5397
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
These are terrible hats

Old 10-30-2013, 09:38 AM   #5398

^^ Very good points.

Maybe after the new arena is built they will feel even greater pressure to show success. A lot of people are angry with the city for approving funding.

The old boys club at the executive level does need to be cleaned out. It would never happen, but can you imagine if Gretzky was part of the the management team.

Another obstacle for the Oilers is the lack of interest from players in wanting to play in Edmonton. That in itself creates a lot of issues. They need to draft their own players, develop them and resign to long contracts.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:01 AM   #5399
CPE
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Well when most people don't like the city itself AND the organization is not run well, its a double edged sword, nobody is going to want to go there. They have the power to fix one of those things to make Edmonton seem slightly more attractive to some players.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:02 AM   #5400

The city is a hugeeee factor, honestly in this day and age of pro sports players can pick and choose as they like, especially when your a top 6 forward. Look at edmontons bottom six even, a lot of overpayment

When you could go to Edmonton or phx, la, fla, Tampa, the list goes on, even at 75% of what Edmonton is offering why would u go to Edmonton?

That's probably why half their team looks like their night job is on the rigs
Posted via RS Mobile
Closed Thread