REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 12-27-2013, 10:53 PM   #1351
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Awesome! thanks
Advertisement
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:27 PM   #1352
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drow View Post
just find it stupid how for each nexus i have to root and install a custom kernel in order to have proper sound quality from auxiliary cables
Could you please elaborate on what you have done? I noticed the headphone out is not as clean and full sounding as the headphone out of my iPhone 4 when connected to my car deck.

Would prefer a dedicated line out from the microusb port but I don't think that's possible?
jlo mein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:28 AM   #1353
Glorious Gaming PC Master Race

gah i forgot i had these phones at home cuz of holidays and work so tempted to just say "Fuck it" and start flashing shit on them for fun
Old 12-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #1354
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Not sure if these are good battery stats.. but going 2 days is pretty good for me... Im a light user so its mostly on standby...
Old 12-29-2013, 04:02 PM   #1355
Bieksa eats bears for breakfast...

you can get a dedicated line out for the 30 pin connector ebay it or go to he Headphone Bar on Broadway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlo mein View Post
Could you please elaborate on what you have done? I noticed the headphone out is not as clean and full sounding as the headphone out of my iPhone 4 when connected to my car deck.

Would prefer a dedicated line out from the microusb port but I don't think that's possible?

Your balls are sensitive things!! They shouldn't be played around with, at least not like that, and you should NOT BE DIPPING THEM IN AFTERSHAVE! Oh my god, I feel sorry for your balls!"

ODC: "Wrong, a roots type blower will produce max boost from 0rpm to redline."

Iceman_19: "A roots makes zero boost at zero rpm, lol"

Ulic Qel-Droma: "haha go google image big black dick. or black cock. i forgot which term i used. it's one of the many."
Iceman_2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #1356
look at these diamonds, they shining

Thanked 1,813 Times in 553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlo mein View Post

its true. with headphones its fine... but plug it into the car aux then sound quality is chit...

i just rooted, and then installed franco's kernel. after i installed it, the sound output became normal again

i had to do this for my nexus 4 too
Drow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:47 AM   #1357
I STILL don't get it

Anyone use Nexus 5 with wind? If so, hows the signal on stock rom in richmond area?
Posted via RS Mobile
604Sparda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:21 PM   #1358
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Is there a way to take the data usage thats built in KitKat and make a persistent notification out of it?
Posted via RS Mobile
areyounoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:18 PM   #1359
Got MOD?

You'll need to install another app to get that
My Feedback (50-0-0)

!MiKrofT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:47 PM   #1360
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by areyounoob View Post
Is there a way to take the data usage thats built in KitKat and make a persistent notification out of it?
Posted via RS Mobile
I used to use 3G Watchdog until I got the N5. Maybe that'll give you what you're looking for?
Posted via RS Mobile
yogenfruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:52 AM   #1361
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Thinking about getting a Nexus 5 to replace my iPhone 4, mostly because I'm not all that impressed by the iPhone 5s and $399 is a heck of a lot more attractive than $800+ for a 32GB phone.

Primarily, all I do on my phone is Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Google Hangout/Whatsapp and I'm likely to go back to Apple if the iPhone 6 is a step in the right direction. I'm already conflicted because the iPhone 5s camera is pretty damned amazing, especially with 720/120 but I'm curious enough about Android that a cheap flagship phone is an attractive option.

Mostly, I'm worried about apps and how well the Nexus 5 works with my MacBook Pro and a MP3 library on iTunes.

Any advice?
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:43 AM   #1362
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,843 Times in 8,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Mostly, I'm worried about apps
don't be. The apps you use are well developed for Android. Even the stupidest developers (like Instagram before they were bought out) finally clued in that they need to make Android their lead development platform, considering there are now way more people using their apps on Android phones than iOS phones.
Quote:
and how well the Nexus 5 works with my MacBook Pro and a MP3 library on iTunes.
This I don't know... If you use itunes to manage your music, you are doing it in a really convoluted way that Apple wants you to do... With Android you just drag and drop the files over. The meta info in the files themselves are what the software uses to do the sorting (the same way itunes works).

For things like auto syncing and stuff like that, I don't know. But if all you want to do is move some music over, drag and drop.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:00 AM   #1363
R5x
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Camera experience is subpar on this phone if you're used to iPhone camera UI. Android 4.4.2 helps, but the app needs a total redesign because the sensor is quite decent.
Posted via RS Mobile
R5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:40 AM   #1364
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Quote:
Thinking about getting a Nexus 5 to replace my iPhone 4, mostly because I'm not all that impressed by the iPhone 5s and $399 is a heck of a lot more attractive than $800+ for a 32GB phone.

Primarily, all I do on my phone is Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Google Hangout/Whatsapp and I'm likely to go back to Apple if the iPhone 6 is a step in the right direction. I'm already conflicted because the iPhone 5s camera is pretty damned amazing, especially with 720/120 but I'm curious enough about Android that a cheap flagship phone is an attractive option.

Mostly, I'm worried about apps and how well the Nexus 5 works with my MacBook Pro and a MP3 library on iTunes.

Any advice?
I was in your exact position. So far Instagram on iphone > android. It loses the gesture functionality on the android version which was a little irritating for me.

Facebook is the same/better on Android. Whatsapp is the same, maybe a bit better because it has better push notification permissions.

Camera on iphone >>>> N5. I get really frustrated with how slow it is and how bad the colours are captured compared to my old 4S.

Lastly, I use a MBP too but don't really sync it with my phone so I can't help you there.. Dragging and dropping is pretty straight forward though. I'll probably end up going back to iphone if the 6 is actually "innovative"
JKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:31 PM   #1365
...in the world.

That's exactly it, really. The 5s isn't very exciting and it's double the price so it's a good time to try Android out while I'm waiting for my current contract to expire Feb 2015.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:53 PM   #1366

I thought I was set on selling my Galaxy Nexus and getting the Nexus 4 as an upgrade, but having looked at the Nexus 4 specs, I'm having second thoughts.

From cost effective POV, would it make more sense to pay $250 to get a Nexus 5, or $100 to get a Nexus 4?
trd2343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:56 PM   #1367
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,315 Times in 2,518 Posts
^^ From a cost effectiveness POV, it would make more sense to stick with your Galaxy Nexus.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-02-2014, 05:02 PM   #1368

^True, but battery life on the Galaxy Nexus is horrible. And it's starting to feel sluggish at times.
trd2343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:07 PM   #1369

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKam View Post
So far Instagram on iphone > android. It loses the gesture functionality on the android version which was a little irritating for me.
Really, I use it on both systems and I had no idea that one had gestures that the other doesn't... I guess if you don't use them it doesn't matter

Instagram used to be shit on android when it first came out, but it got better. The devs are a bunch of hipster losers anyway, or at least were before the buyout.

BTW the one thing I miss on the iphone was the really fast location service... firing up maps would target me instantly usually.. at least in Japan where I had an iphone. Here in HK with the N5, the location service sucks.

For cameras, I don't care.. It's a camera phone. Either one is good enough.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:46 PM   #1370
...in the world.

I would prefer to have a good camera on my phone since I don't carry a DSLR every day but I'm okay with an okay camera since it's a phone...

I don't really use gestures either. I prefer buttons just like I prefer to type by tapping the screen instead of swiping around it like I'm playing Fruit Ninja.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:53 PM   #1371

Well it's a "good" camera, not a "great" one, I guess you could say. It's not bad at all IMO
Old 01-02-2014, 06:06 PM   #1372

For a phone, I think it's good. Considering most photos I take with it would go on Facebook or Instagram, the quality is just fine.
Posted via RS Mobile
yogenfruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:52 PM   #1373
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Really, I use it on both systems and I had no idea that one had gestures that the other doesn't... I guess if you don't use them it doesn't matter

Instagram used to be shit on android when it first came out, but it got better. The devs are a bunch of hipster losers anyway, or at least were before the buyout.

BTW the one thing I miss on the iphone was the really fast location service... firing up maps would target me instantly usually.. at least in Japan where I had an iphone. Here in HK with the N5, the location service sucks.

For cameras, I don't care.. It's a camera phone. Either one is good enough.
Agree on the god comment 100%. The location service on both my iPhone 4 and 5s loads really fast and accurate. When I had the note2 and the 4s it seems to take a lot longer to load also sometimes when using the GPS it would go crazy like it just keep re-routing or Asus no gps signal. No issue on iPhone. Do you think is the OS or just phone itself?
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:55 PM   #1374

It's weird that you have had so many bad experiences.. for me the only really bad one was the N5. The N4 was good, and most of the other phones I've had have been fine.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:48 PM   #1375
Got MOD?

Nexus 5 has been the best android experience for me so far. Camera has been the best of any phone I've owned so far. After the firmware updates the camera speed is fine.
My Feedback (50-0-0)

!MiKrofT is offline   Reply With Quote