REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:36 AM   #26
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebacon View Post
Some people actually think he's doing a great job as a mayor. Smoking crack isn't a big deal. Maybe he only does it to release stress. Not anyone can be a major..
Posted via RS Mobile

He's doing something that if you or me were caught doing would be sent to jail for. The video could have been easily used to black mail him.
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2013, 06:24 AM   #27
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
When your in public office your personal life matters. On top of that he was breaking the law.
Allegedly. Was just watching an item about this on the morning news, in fact, and even the cop on the podium made note of the fact that any charges would have to be proven in court.

Quote:
If your boss found out you were smoking crack would you still have a job?
He's been accused of a LOT of shit during his term. So far it doesn't seem anything has stuck, at least not sufficiently to cost him his office. And that's the catch: like I said above, it does LOOK like him in those clips... but can it be proven in court that that's him and not someone else?

When you're in public office, your personal life matters ONLY as much as your constituents decide it SHOULD matter. As long as he's doing things IN office that keeps the vast majority of people happy, they'll be a lot more forgiving of what he does OUT of office.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:25 AM   #28

Quote:
He's doing something that if you or me were caught doing would be sent to jail for. The video could have been easily used to black mail him.
This latest video looks like something from surveillance cameras, not the original claimed cell-phone video... much less likely someone bent on blackmail would even have access to this video.
Quote:
Old 11-01-2013, 07:33 AM   #29
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Can you please refer me to the most recent case where a Canadian was sent to jail for appearing on a video smoking something resembling crack?

Yes, if he was arrested buying/selling or using illegal narcotics on the street, we have a different story.

One thing does not equal the other, and the ability to prosecute someone, makes a HUGE difference.

This is the reason we have a justice system, and while a mayor should be held to a higher standard, I doubt there are any legal grounds to push him out of office at this point.

Additionally, it doesn't really seem like the majority of Toronto is calling for his head.

A guy can go out and get pissed drunk, act stupid - no harm no foul. But if his drug of choice doesn't happen to be alcohol, his career should be taken away from him, he should be shamed publicly, and kicked onto the street.

Just because 'crack' has such a negative stigma associated with it, doesn't mean it couldn't possibly be enjoyed responsibly.

Maybe an extreme viewpoint, but I echo the sentiment, if its not effecting his ability to do his job, it shouldn't be so relevant.
Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:44 AM   #30
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
Can you please refer me to the most recent case where a Canadian was sent to jail for appearing on a video smoking something resembling crack?

Yes, if he was arrested buying/selling or using illegal narcotics on the street, we have a different story.

One thing does not equal the other, and the ability to prosecute someone, makes a HUGE difference.

This is the reason we have a justice system, and while a mayor should be held to a higher standard, I doubt there are any legal grounds to push him out of office at this point.

Additionally, it doesn't really seem like the majority of Toronto is calling for his head.

A guy can go out and get pissed drunk, act stupid - no harm no foul. But if his drug of choice doesn't happen to be alcohol, his career should be taken away from him, he should be shamed publicly, and kicked onto the street.

Just because 'crack' has such a negative stigma associated with it, doesn't mean it couldn't possibly be enjoyed responsibly.

Maybe an extreme viewpoint, but I echo the sentiment, if its not effecting his ability to do his job, it shouldn't be so relevant.
Have you seen his list of fuck ups? LOL
Posted via RS Mobile
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:51 AM   #31
RS controls my life!

Why do bike lanes piss you guys off so friggen much? Not attuned to change or something? I'm a big mayor moonbeam fan. All you guys seem to focus on is the friggen bike lanes, most of which have hardly ruined traffic in this city. And the viaducts being torn down is the result of the years of complaints of the strathcona residence. The public in the area is highly in favor of getting rid of them, and adding more bike lanes as well. Why the beef?
Everymans is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everymans View Post
Why do bike lanes piss you guys off so friggen much? Not attuned to change or something?
Because they're slapped in with little consultation, and apparently little thought of traffic flow? Because they fuck up traffic for tens of thousands of drivers for the benefit of a few dozen cyclists, most of whom only ride six months out of the year?

I don't think anyone here has an issue with bike lanes, or bikes in general (except for idiots like Critical Mass and bike couriers)... it's Vancouver's implementation of them specifically that drives people nuts.

Quote:
I'm a big mayor moonbeam fan. All you guys seem to focus on is the friggen bike lanes, most of which have hardly ruined traffic in this city.
Okay, how about other retardedness like backyard chickens and front lawn wheat fields IN THE FUCKING CITY. I wonder how many of the people who were convinced to grow wheat in their front yards, realized they would have to actually do some work to HARVEST it if it was to be used for anything other than a layer of hay to keep the snow from hitting the ground in the winter?

Quote:
And the viaducts being torn down is the result of the years of complaints of the strathcona residence.
Just wait until the hear the complaints from the residents around all the other access routes to downtown, when all that traffic is crawling through their neighborhoods.

But of course, this appears to be typical of Vision: cow-tow to one group whining for something without looking far enough ahead to see how it's going to affect a couple dozen other groups.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 11-01-2013, 10:16 AM   #33
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everymans View Post
Why do bike lanes piss you guys off so friggen much? Not attuned to change or something? I'm a big mayor moonbeam fan. All you guys seem to focus on is the friggen bike lanes, most of which have hardly ruined traffic in this city. And the viaducts being torn down is the result of the years of complaints of the strathcona residence. The public in the area is highly in favor of getting rid of them, and adding more bike lanes as well. Why the beef?
I don't know if you're trolling or not, but here goes...

This is a car enthusiast website where people have a huge attachment to heir cars. If someone in power does something that in anyway affects their ability to enjoy something people are attached to, then people here will naturally be upset. I've worked downtown for the last 8 years and have commuted by public transit and by car. Sure the bike lanes are an annoyance, but they're a very minor one. The bike lanes, for me anyway, actually make it very tempting for me to commute by bike.

The problem is that bike lanes have been framed as a "war on cars". They shouldn't be. Bike lanes aren't taking away your right to drive. Even if you razed every house and warehouse on Prior and built a freeway into downtown, the traffic problems still wouldn't be solved. In fact, traffic along Prior moves pretty well; it's just that once you get into the core that traffic becomes an issue.
Posted via RS Mobile
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #34

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Because they're slapped in with little consultation, and apparently little thought of traffic flow? Because they fuck up traffic for tens of thousands of drivers for the benefit of a few dozen cyclists, most of whom only ride six months out of the year?
I drive along the viaduct every morning and to be fair, a lot of people use the Dunsmir bike lane. Honestly, traffic is not that bad into downtown; IMHO pedestrians with IPods who jaywalk and don't pay attention to signals are a bigger cause of traffic problems than bike lanes.
Posted via RS Mobile
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #35
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Also the businesses and residents directly around the bike lanes have been opposed to them as it has harmed their businesses. There is currently a battle brewing in Kits, with the point grey bike lane (already rammed through) and the bike lane they want to put right through Kits beach park land when there is absolutely no need for it and a majority of the residents against it. Spending millions on snow clearing equipment for the bike lanes is just the dumbest thing I've heard of also from Gregory. Mayor Ford at least had the sense to rip out some of the bike lanes in Toronto that were fucking up traffic and harming businesses bottom line.
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #36
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
I drive along the viaduct every morning and to be fair, a lot of people use the Dunsmir bike lane. Honestly, traffic is not that bad into downtown; IMHO pedestrians with IPods who jaywalk and don't pay attention to signals are a bigger cause of traffic problems than bike lanes.
Posted via RS Mobile
My office looks straight down Dunsmuir St and bike lane, I also drive it daily into downtown. Yes in the Summer months, for 2 or 3 months, there are a decent amount of users, however the majority of the year and Vancouver weather, there aren't many.

The major problem of putting a bike lane on Dunsmuir is that it was absolutely the worst street to do so on. Dunsmuir is used by delivery trucks, garbage trucks and taxis (that stop in front of the St. Regis hotel, since there is a valet and taxi pickup zone there), to service the businesses and offices there. When these vehicles stop they have no parking lane or side lane to pull into, so that effectively turns a major busy artery into downtown Vancouver into a one lane disaster, I witness this everyday. Multiple times a day I see garbage and delivery trucks that have to stop dead in the middle of one lane, then pull into the other lane, block both lanes and flow of traffic, so they can reverse into alleys to service businesses. Add in that there are major parking restrictions and spots for these businesses on Dunsmuir, it is just the worst street to place bike lanes in.
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-01-2013, 01:19 PM   #37
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,751 Times in 700 Posts
Mayor Ford is fiscally responsible. He saved the city $248 million dollars in 2012($248-million surplus ?positive proof? of Ford?s cost-cutting, budget chair says - The Globe and Mail).

If I were a resident of Toronto, I could care less that he smoked crack a few times/recreationally. His policies and decisions in office are great. I would over look this if it meant saving our city money.

And i'm pretty sure he won't be able to get away with, "nah, that wasn't me in those videos/pictures". He'll probably have to admit it was him and just take the heat for it. Whether he'll still keep his position as mayor is still up in the air. I can't see him keeping it though, he will surely need to resign after this, unfortunately.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #38
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post

If I were a resident of Toronto, I could care less that he smoked crack a few times/recreationally. His policies and decisions in office are great. I would over look this if it meant saving our city money.
So, you are cool using your tax dollars to pay a crackhead to run your city?

Is there a crackhead spectrum we should be referencing to know when it IS time to give him the boot? Like....1-2 times a week is cool, but 4-5 is not. What about when his hands start to shake? His gait changes? When does he transition from mayor/crackhead to crackhead/mayor. Like, for realz?!

There has to be a fucking standard here...that base standard should be "Looking for a Mayor who isn't smoking a crack pipe".

On the surface shit may look legit....but no crackhead can functionally run a city...give it a bit, I am sure shit will begin to surface. I'd like to see his allowances and write-offs, etc.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #39
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,751 Times in 700 Posts
^Well considering he saved the city $250 million, one could argue that he's earned his salary?

I agree though, if he's a crack head, he probably shouldn't be running the city. Though, if he was a crack head i'm sure people would notice. He's in the media daily and i'm sure his family would notice. That being said, I don't think he's a crack head. He probably just goes on benders once in awhile? Or he just tried it once? I don't know. If he's coming to work and doing his job, I could care less what he does in his spare time. And yes, I agree this looks pretty bad for the city, but I mean there are worse things that could be going on. At the end of the day, if the powers at be are saving my family money by not increasing taxes, I would be happy.

You would be surprised how many doctors do hard drugs in Vancouver. And these people take care of the most vulnerable people... Just because you do drugs in your spare time doesn't mean you can't do your job properly. That's my opinion anyway.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-01-2013, 09:05 PM   #40

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
I would argue that a crackhead is as capable of governing as a religious fundamentalist. You don't often see politicians being taking to task for believing the earth is 6000 years old, dinosaurs shared the earth with humans, an ark containing every species on the planet surviving a worldwide flood, etc. They are openly batshit crazy.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:04 AM   #41

So now a couple hits on the pipe automatically makes one a "crackhead"? Going out late one night getting high doesn't always equate to being butt-fucking stoned while at workl. And when's the last time you saw a 350lb crackhead? Dude looks he probably ATE a couple crackheads for breakfast.

And BTW, just reminder, everything so far is just ALLEGATIONS. So far he hasn't even been charged with anything crack-related, let alone convicted. There are videos showing someone who LOOKS like Mr. Mayor, APPEARING to take a hit from a crack-type pipe, which may or may not actually contain crack.
Quote:
Old 11-02-2013, 12:14 AM   #42
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
just because somebody (allegedly) smokes crack, does not automatically make them a crackhead. some of you sometimes..
Posted via RS Mobile
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:32 AM   #43

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
It's likey he did smoke crack but I've seen nothing to indicate an addiction or a negative effect on his responsibilities as mayor.

There is no concrete evidence to explain why some people have addictive personalities and why some don't. For many, they find out which personality they are through drug experimentation. Sometimes once is enough to set you down a destructive path. I've dabble enough in the drug culture (never crack) to know I don't have an addictive personality.
I was very fortunate in that sense. People can go on about personal responsibility (in a society where we feel it necessary to legislate common sense) but walking a mile in a man's shoes isn't always going to give the whole picture. There are just too many variables for me to judge someone for ending up an addict. Sure some decisions amount to playing with fire but we wouldn't be human if we didn't.

Last edited by Bouncing Bettys; 11-02-2013 at 02:43 AM.
Bouncing Bettys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:01 AM   #44
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
It's likey he did smoke crack but I've seen nothing to indicate an addiction or a negative effect on his responsibilities as mayor.

Really?

A chronology of controversies involving Rob Ford | CP24.com

How does he even have time to be mayor with all those scandals going on.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:17 AM   #45

Waiting for the announcement from the police that they've figured out the whole "smoking crack" thing was a fully orchestrated publicity stunt by Ford, just to get everyone riled up...
Quote:
Old 11-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #46
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
So now a couple hits on the pipe automatically makes one a "crackhead"? Going out late one night getting high doesn't always equate to being butt-fucking stoned while at workl. And when's the last time you saw a 350lb crackhead? Dude looks he probably ATE a couple crackheads for breakfast.

And BTW, just reminder, everything so far is just ALLEGATIONS. So far he hasn't even been charged with anything crack-related, let alone convicted. There are videos showing someone who LOOKS like Mr. Mayor, APPEARING to take a hit from a crack-type pipe, which may or may not actually contain crack.
Thank you!

At best he is a crack enthusiast.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:40 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
So, you are cool using your tax dollars to pay a crackhead to run your city?

Is there a crackhead spectrum we should be referencing to know when it IS time to give him the boot? Like....1-2 times a week is cool, but 4-5 is not. What about when his hands start to shake? His gait changes? When does he transition from mayor/crackhead to crackhead/mayor. Like, for realz?!

There has to be a fucking standard here...that base standard should be "Looking for a Mayor who isn't smoking a crack pipe".

On the surface shit may look legit....but no crackhead can functionally run a city...give it a bit, I am sure shit will begin to surface. I'd like to see his allowances and write-offs, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Thank you!

At best he is a crack enthusiast.
This must be an interesting time in the DinoGrid household...
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 11-02-2013, 08:58 AM   #48
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
oh, people, come on.

"Crackhead" was tongue in cheek...

Although, it now begs the question: what is the difference between a crack user and a crackhead?
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #49
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
oh, people, come on.

Although, it now begs the question: what is the difference between a crack user and a crackhead?
A mouthful of teeth.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #50
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
oh, people, come on.

The same as someone who spends his entire welfare check on ricewine and mouthwash to get blind drunk all the time, and someone who has a few glasses of wine with dinner.
Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: