REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #101
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,380 Times in 3,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drow View Post
the media needs to lay off the poor guy

he can smoke all the crack he wants as long as does his job - and does it well

i duno much abt the guy but from what ive heard hes actually a good mayor...

society needs to stop being so butthurt over this guy.
How can you be a good mayor when you are smoking crack? What if something major happened while he was cracked out?
Advertisement
Old 11-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #102
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
I am pretty sure he is smart enough to not smoke crack while on the job..
Posted via RS Mobile
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebacon View Post
Posted via RS Mobile
As mayor you are on call 24/7.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #104
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,550 Times in 1,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
As mayor you are on call 24/7.
You love posting these square comments in Drug threads huh? You were spewing this same kind of garbage in the Marijuana legalization thread.

So what, you're saying this guy can't get drunk on his own time either? Get a life.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-08-2013, 10:47 PM   #105
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:21 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
You love posting these square comments in Drug threads huh? You were spewing this same kind of garbage in the Marijuana legalization thread.

So what, you're saying this guy can't get drunk on his own time either? Get a life.
When did I post garbage in a Marijuana thread?

The dude hangs around known criminals, gang members, is a alcoholic, and smoked crack. Getting drunk on your own time is one thing but being drunk at city hall is another. The dudes toast.

City hall security describes a drunk Ford on St. Patrick?s Day last year | CityNews
Old 11-09-2013, 12:31 AM   #107
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebacon View Post
Posted via RS Mobile
Really? I'm pretty sure he's not. It's not like he's doing it in his home away from prying eyes, the guy is mayor and dumb enough to get filmed smoking it, what makes you think he hasn't/won't do it when on the job?

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:01 AM   #108
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
the problem is hes got a crazy personal life, yet hes doing one heck of job being a good mayor & im betting that hes better then most of the mayors in canada (aleast better then most of them in bc)

not sure about u guys but my dad has mix.feelings for.this guy, while i support him all the way just like ralph kein
Posted via RS Mobile
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #109

I'm DJing a party in Nanaimo right now and the mayor did a speech. he made a Rob Ford fat joke.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #110
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
takes new meaning to "you smokin crack?"..
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #111
look at these diamonds, they shining

Thanked 1,813 Times in 553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
How can you be a good mayor when you are smoking crack? What if something major happened while he was cracked out?
If he let crack negatively influence his responsibilities then he would be a bad mayor.

I admit i havent done much research into how hes doing as mayor but ive heard nothing but good things. All the news outlets have only been ripping on his bad habits, getting drunk, or using provocative language but hey as long as he gets the job done he can be smoking crack live on national television for all i care.
Drow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #112
Banned (ABWS)

^agreed. Most people get their panties all tied up in a knot about his drug habits when it clearly has not affected his job performance.

Rather have a crackhead competent mayor than hippie, bike lane loving Gregor Robertson.
Posted via RS Mobile
twdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:08 PM   #113
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drow View Post
If he let crack negatively influence his responsibilities then he would be a bad mayor.

I admit i havent done much research into how hes doing as mayor but ive heard nothing but good things. All the news outlets have only been ripping on his bad habits, getting drunk, or using provocative language but hey as long as he gets the job done he can be smoking crack live on national television for all i care.
There's more to a public position of authority than simply getting the job done. Although a competent mayor is applaud-able, a respectable mayor that we can be proud of having elected into office is equally as important. He is a chosen representative of one of our nation's more influential cities and the whole world has their eyes on him. His actions, reputation and demeanor have made the City of Toronto a laughing stock but also he has made a mockery of Canadian politics.

A rebuttal will most likely be that no country is perfect and you will always find elected officials that are corrupt, have made poor personal decisions, etc. Although that has truth to it, it does not stop the rest of the world from judging us and it certainly doesn't mean that because other countries have shitty politicians that we can too.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #114

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Anybody ever wonder what would've happened if this never came to light?

Rob Ford would still be able to enjoy his recreational habits (whatever they are) and he'd still be a good fucking mayor. Ofcourse if his personal life and his career start to overlap, there would be issues. But this is just the media "doing their job" and prying into peoples lives.

I find it harsh that just because you move into a position of power, your personal life now gets to be scrutinized by everyone. The "media" will go into your past and dig up anything that seems like it could be news worthy. Realistically without the media consistently prying and trying to get something out of him. He probably would've never admitted to smoking crack.

To me this situation is exactly like a closed door police interrogation. Where they just poke and prod at you, to try and get answers out of you.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #115
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,283 Times in 2,503 Posts
It's exactly as melloman says -- the media is simply exercising its powers as the "4th branch of government" so to speak. It is doing its job to keep the other 3 branches in check.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
The "media" will go into your past and dig up anything that seems like it could be news worthy.
I always believed that anyone who thinks they have some God-given right or even obligation to do this, should first be subject to it themselves.

I want to start my own tabloid, whose content consists entirely on digging out every possible skeleton from the closets (or wherever) of the editors, publishers, reporters, and paparazzi who work for all the other tabloids. After all, their constant mantra is, "everybody has the right to know everything about everyone" - well, that includes you, dirtbag.

The biggest irony (or is it hypocrisy? or both?) is, how many of those calling for Ford's job because he did an illegal drug, have had a little puff-puff on their personal time? Because that's illegal too, despite being more widely accepted. By this logic, though, they should lose their jobs as well, regardless of whether it affects their work performance.
Quote:
Old 11-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
I always believed that anyone who thinks they have some God-given right or even obligation to do this, should first be subject to it themselves.
The biggest irony (or is it hypocrisy? or both?) is, how many of those calling for Ford's job because he did an illegal drug, have had a little puff-puff on their personal time? Because that's illegal too, despite being more widely accepted. By this logic, though, they should lose their jobs as well, regardless of whether it affects their work performance.
The difference is, with Ford being in office, a lot of stuff he does in his private life can lead to direct consequences in his work, and his work at the city hall has everything to do with public interest. When a person runs for public office, he is knowingly subjecting himself to this, and essentially accepts that certain parts of his private life will be subjected to public scrutiny.

On the other hand, with you, me, or any other average Joes out there, the overwhelming majority of stuff we do has nothing to do with public interest, so we are entitled to more personal privacy than public figures such as Mr. Ford.

Certainly you should be able to grasp and understand this simple concept?
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
The difference is, with Ford being in office, a lot of stuff he does in his private life can lead to direct consequences in his work, and his work at the city hall has everything to do with public interest. When a person runs for public office, he is knowingly subjecting himself to this, and essentially accepts that certain parts of his private life will be subjected to public scrutiny.

On the other hand, with you, me, or any other average Joes out there, the overwhelming majority of stuff we do has nothing to do with public interest, so we are entitled to more personal privacy than public figures such as Mr. Ford.

Certainly you should be able to grasp and understand this simple concept?
I grasp the CONCEPT, but I think it's WAY overblown and abused.
Quote:
Old 11-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #119
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,788 Times in 979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
I grasp the CONCEPT, but I think it's WAY overblown and abused.
I would rather have Ford that Robertson, but I also don't think that it's overblown or abused to call for the resignation of a crack smoking mayor.
"It's ok to break the law and do cocaine" isn't exactly the message I would want to be sent to kids.. or anyone really.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:32 AM   #120

If I were a Torontonian, prior to the crack cocaine alligations, I would mostly be embarrassed by the stupid hijinks that the media has dug up, and the resulting temper tantrums that Ford threw. The reading newspaper while driving incident pissed me off, and I think the police should have done something (say, investigate and/or fine him as necessary). But overall, I wouldn't have been too concern.

The crack cocaine allegations, on the other hand, are way too much to swallow. Cocaine is not marijuana, and its negative effects on a person are very well known. It isn't quite as bad as heroine, but if a mayor is addicted and dependent on this illegal substance, it is entirely conceivable that the drug dealer supplying this substance to the mayor is now in a position of power over the mayor. Is that something any sane citizen would find acceptable? Drug dealers don't operate on an individual level either -- there is always a network behind them, and this is organized crime we are talking about. Do we want some drug lord or criminal king pin calling the shots in Canada's biggest and most prosperous, instead of having an elected mayor that serves the city and its residents?

As some of the Toronto councillors have said, at a minimum, Mr. Ford needs to take a leave of absence to sort out his illicit substance problem, and to give the Toronto City Hall a chance to re-gain its trust from the public. Ideally, he should resign as an act of responsibility. By continuing to stay in office, he is damaging the Toronto City Hall's image and credibility. The allegations will not easily die down, and that will distract the municipal government from continuing with its usual businesses and operations.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:52 AM   #121
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,306 Times in 5,629 Posts
I'll take a crack smoking ford over a public money stealing clown like Brassaue, Duffy, or Wallin 10 times out of 10
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #122
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,125 Posts
Regardless of where you stand politically, anyone caught doing drugs or under the influence of drugs, or going into work drunk would be fired on the spot by any organization. Even offensive Tweets and pictures on Facebook get people fired. Why should any politician, regardless of what he/she has done, be held to a different standard? Because he's fighting the good fight and sticking it to the hippies?
Posted via RS Mobile
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-13-2013, 02:49 PM   #123

Thanked 2,733 Times in 696 Posts
AFAIK, he was never caught going into work drunk/high. Likewise, I do not think doing drugs during his personal time constitutes grounds for dismissal.

Also, because he is Mayor he is held to a different standard, one can't just fire him. The only way he can get fired or get thrown out is if he is convicted of a crime and actually serves time in jail OR his cabinet resigns, which would force a bi-election. He can't just be fired, i'm not sure about other political positions though.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #124
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,483 Times in 1,683 Posts
Wow, the Rob Ford story keeps getting better. Apparently, he had two women in his office who are suspected to be prostitutes.

-smoking crack and banging ho's! A St. Patrick's Day celebration for the mayor.

Court docs suggest Mayor Ford had prostitutes in his office | News1130
Old 11-13-2013, 03:04 PM   #125
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
AFAIK, he was never caught going into work drunk/high. Likewise, I do not think doing drugs during his personal time constitutes grounds for dismissal.

Also, because he is Mayor he is held to a different standard, one can't just fire him. The only way he can get fired or get thrown out is if he is convicted of a crime and actually serves time in jail OR his cabinet resigns, which would force a bi-election. He can't just be fired, i'm not sure about other political positions though.
The jury is out on whether or not he was drunk or high on the job, but there is enough evidence to suggest that he has been drunk at after-hours functions while representing the city as its mayor. If you're the CEO of a company and you're out there representing that company at some after office hours function, if you're caught doing something inappropriate like grabbing a woman's ass (which Ford did), I think it would be safe to assume that he would be forced to take a leave of absence, accept a demotion, or be fired. If you entertain clients after hours and say things that are inappropriate (such as badmouthing your boss, or perhaps talking about people in the industry), if the word ever got out, you would be fired. I highly doubt you could rely on excessive drunkenness as an excuse.

The mayor is held to a different standard - a higher one. It's what politicians should understand when they take office - you lose your privacy. If he can't keep off the bottle and can't smoke crack privately, then he should find a new profession that allows him to pursue those activities quietly.
Posted via RS Mobile
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: