REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Lululemon says pants do not work for some women's bodies.

Here is a link to one of many articles that have been circulating today regarding a statement Lululemon's founder had made when addressing an issue with the brand's clothing.

The controversy that has popped up on Facebook and other social media is that the company, founder and clothing is discriminating against women of a particular shape/size.

Reason why I address this is somewhat similar reasoning behind the "Asian Fit" controversy. So now there is a presumed right to wear spandex pants and if a company fails to provide adequate sizing for plus-sized women, then we should all be up in arms about it?

http://globalnews.ca/news/950626/lul...womens-bodies/

Quote:

Lululemon Athletica founder Chip Wilson is facing more controversy after saying that their pants do not work for some women’s bodies on an American TV show.

Wilson made the comment when he and his wife Shannon were interviewed on Bloomberg TV’s “Street Smart” program.

Earlier this week, it was reported the company is facing new complaints about their yoga pants. Some customers are complaining they are pilling after only a few months of wear.

“The thing is women will wear seat belts that do not work, or they will wear a purse that does not work,” said Wilson. “Or quite frankly, some women’s bodies actually do not work for it.”

When the show host asked if it was more likely the pants will be see-through with some women’s bodies than others, Wilson replied, “Even our small size will fit an extra large. It is really about the rubbing through the thighs, how much pressure is there over a period of time, and how much they use them.”

The comment comes just months after Lululemon pulled their yoga pants from shelves because they were too sheer, costing the company millions of dollars in sales.

In July, the company said customers could still be sporting see-through yoga pants because they’re buying sizes that are too small for them.
Here's another article from a different feed:

Lululemon co-founder on too-sheer yoga pants: Not for 'some women's bodies' - TODAY.com

I fail to see what the controversy is here and why this has become such a prevalent story? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that body-forming, shaped clothing aren't designed to be worn for all shapes and sizes. That doesn't prevent someone from wearing them but it doesn't guarantee them the same results as someone slimmer/fitter.
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
it isn't a big deal.. women who are offended by it are probably the same women that shouldn't even be wearing the largest sizes lulu has to offer. you don't see men complaining about not being able to fit into skinny jeans made for guys that are 100 lbs
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

only people complaining would be fat chicks

probably another self over valuating fat head

instead of looking for warfare on companies on this discrimination against "big beautiful woman": drop the mcdicks and lose some fucking weight

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #4
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
I've seen stretchy pants labelled "skinny fit", maybe Lululemon should do the same with some of their pants.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #5
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
They should've kept using the Luon material for their Yoga Pants..but people complained that it was too "transparent"
HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2013, 03:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancehead View Post
instead of looking for warfare on companies on this discrimination against "big beautiful woman": drop the mcdicks and lose some fucking weight
Or continue eating the McDicks and embrace your body and not blame society for your shortcomings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Disick View Post
I've seen stretchy pants labelled "skinny fit", maybe Lululemon should do the same with some of their pants.
Fair suggestion but I think it's general knowledge that Lululemon and Yoga Pants, TNA pants etc. are meant for a particular body and shape. AKA #notfatchicks. All there products are "stretchy" so in theory "skinny fit." What would be the point of labelling every product from gloves, socks to jackets and pants to "skinny fit" lol.

Wearing yoga pants is a PRIVILEGE not a RIGHT!
Old 11-06-2013, 03:57 PM   #7
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Kidnapman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
In other news no one wants to see fat chicks in spandex. The shit that causes controversy these days lol
Posted via RS Mobile
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #9
Banned (ABWS)

2muchButthurt
maksimizer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #10
Rs has made me the man i am today!

haha.. I saw that interview on Bloomberg.

The female commentator made a big deal about it.

The male commentator just brushed it off.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #11
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
No, Lulu pants aren't for every woman. But the ones they are for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #12
RS Veteran

I haven't and won't buy Lululemon mainly because of the price... but for those who do buy them, do they come in sizes which reference your body size? ie. small = 25inch waist, etc? If not, maybe they should... so women who have a 40" waist won't cram themselves into a small
Old 11-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #13
kwy
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,715 Times in 595 Posts
I bet some of the women still complaining about the pants being too sheer are trying to stuff their too-fat asses into way undersized pants..and you wonder why the material is being pushed to its limits..
1989 BMW 525i
2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
2006 Mazda 3
2008 Jeep Liberty
2003 Infiniti G35
1995 Eagle Talon
1984 Chevrolet Corvette
1981 Pontiac Trans Am
1992 BMW 535i
kwy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #14
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,186 Times in 239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
I haven't and won't buy Lululemon mainly because of the price... but for those who do buy them, do they come in sizes which reference your body size? ie. small = 25inch waist, etc? If not, maybe they should... so women who have a 40" waist won't cram themselves into a small
are you a girl? I know lululemon makes male pants too but...
is350 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #15
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwy View Post
I bet some of the women still complaining about the pants being too sheer are trying to stuff their too-fat asses into way undersized pants..and you wonder why the material is being pushed to its limits..
"Oh my god, my 'diet' must totally be working. I fit into a pair of small LuLuLemon pants!"
yogenfruz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #16
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx1 View Post
are you a girl? I know lululemon makes male pants too but...
I don't understand what you are asking? Why would it make a difference whether I was a man or woman, and asked that question?
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
I don't understand what you are asking? Why would it make a difference whether I was a man or woman, and asked that question?
He's trying to be funny...a little uncomfortable about his manhood and implying that somehow wearing lululemon pants makes you less of a man.

On a side note, Spidey I agree that they're too expensive but they sure do last a long time. I end up justifying making a purchase every now and then for something I really like because they always last me years without any sign of wearing or degradation.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #18

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
I don't understand the controversy... The sizes they offer are up to 14 iirc. That's fking huge. If the founder believes certain body shapes fit his product, so what? I'm pretty sure the founder of Ferrari doesn't want his product driven by spoiled 17 year olds. WEAR THEM IF YOU THINK YOU SHOULD.(even when others think you shouldn't )

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #19
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Lululemon is crazy over priced, but it is good quality. They advertise and the sales people really push the "non-pilling" and pre-shrunk fabric/materials. I've never had a problem nor have any of my friends but because their quality it so good, I have not bought anything new from them in about a year and a half. Maybe they changed materials?

Also, they don't sell xs-xl....their pants and hoodies are sizes 2 to 12...like other stores.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #20
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
He's trying to be funny...a little uncomfortable about his manhood and implying that somehow wearing lululemon pants makes you less of a man.

On a side note, Spidey I agree that they're too expensive but they sure do last a long time. I end up justifying making a purchase every now and then for something I really like because they always last me years without any sign of wearing or degradation.
The only thing lulu lemon I have owned was a dri fit t shirt, and track pants... Yup track pants.. they had them when they were about 3 years open.... I personally would buy some of the pants for men, but I wear shorts to the gym, and they are too expensive for "lazy sunday" pants. I won't deny they are good quality and worth the money if you do wear them out a couple times a week.

Now that you got me thinking.. I might check out the store and pick up a pair.. damnit!!
Old 11-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #21
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post

I get what he's saying. Lululemon still has that very feminine aura about it. Like owning a car model driven predominantly by the female gender. However, at the end of the day, if you're not harming anyone or anyone's property, just do you.

I wonder if this will have positive effect on the revenue for U. I can see heavy-set women going "Oh yeah, I can still wear your clothes....".
Old 11-06-2013, 06:45 PM   #22
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Some styles/clothing simply don't work for everyone. As someone mention skinny jeans aren't for everyone. Should I go to the store and complain about it? No I simply get something else I look good in......
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:45 PM   #23
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
yeah Pilling is a big problem with their pants and it's nothing to do with the size of the wearer or anything, My gf has a couple pairs and the pilling happens after a few months, and my gf is definitely wearing her size, actually she made sure the pants were a looser fit because thats how she likes her yoga pants.

After buying her first pair she saw the pilling happen and then went to the store to ask about it, the person helping her told her how to take care of it and how to wash it and shit. She bought another pair and she took care of it like the girl told her, pilling still happened. My gf really takes care of her clothes in general to make sure they last a long time. After that she never bought a pair from LuLu again. The quality and longevity is just not the same as it used to be back when I worked at LuLu, I have a pair of trackpants that I still wear to this date back from 2007.

/rant
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #24
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Lululemon should make a similar tag and attach this to every piece of clothing they sell

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

Last edited by bing; 11-06-2013 at 08:10 PM.
bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #25
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
dude I even know fit chicks who shouldn't wear this shit.. the requirement should be to have an ass..
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote