REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2014, 07:05 AM   #26
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
meme405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,625
Thanked 7,179 Times in 2,177 Posts
People are really saying this is expensive?

I mean can understand feeling ripped off if and when they screw up the puzzles and combo codes. But 25 bucks for an evening out is not that bad. The people that think this is expensive are cheap asses.

To put it into perspective, Revs on a weekend is the same price for three games, 3 races at TBC (about 25 minutes) is double that, a dinner is easily that same price assuming you do not go to mcdonalds, the casino could be an utter disaster. My point is that for 50 bucks, you could have a nice dinner, and then some good fun... Comparatively you could blow triple that and still have a shit night in any club... Your choice...

But feel free to stay home and play go-fish... You can get a deck of cards for free at any casino...
Advertisement
__________________

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-13-2014, 10:14 AM   #27
My homepage has been set to RS
 
SpeedStars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,494
Thanked 3,690 Times in 857 Posts
Just a note though, the games are all at least 4 players, so it isn't really a thing you can do with your SO
Posted via RS Mobile
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:12 AM   #28
bcrdukes
 
TOS'd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 9,051
Thanked 5,121 Times in 1,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStars View Post
Just a note though, the games are all at least 4 players, so it isn't really a thing you can do with your SO
Posted via RS Mobile
Double date
Posted via RS Mobile
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:50 AM   #29
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
meme405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,625
Thanked 7,179 Times in 2,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStars View Post
Just a note though, the games are all at least 4 players, so it isn't really a thing you can do with your SO
Posted via RS Mobile
Well I mean you can, they will just pair you with 2 other people, but yeah if you were looking to get locked into a room with your SO for 45 minutes, then look elsewhere...

Perhaps a drive somewhere secluded...
__________________

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:09 PM   #30
I don't get it
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: burnaby
Posts: 419
Thanked 58 Times in 40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
Vancouver needs ktv joints. Ones where you pick out your girls.
vancouver has a handful of ktv joints
suzuka84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:15 PM   #31
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
meme405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,625
Thanked 7,179 Times in 2,177 Posts
See post below.
__________________

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread

Last edited by meme405; 01-14-2014 at 11:20 AM.
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-13-2014, 05:15 PM   #32
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
Xu.Vi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: vancouver
Posts: 578
Thanked 697 Times in 163 Posts


Will be trying it soon. Hopefully playing all the "100 floors" on my phone will help
Xu.Vi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:56 PM   #33
I subscribe to Revscene
 
k3mps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: vancity
Posts: 1,929
Thanked 1,315 Times in 385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
My post above would get failed by someone who makes stupid posts like this:



For the record, if you are too dumb to realize that you should probably move past a free credit card if you put 20K a year on it as you say. Then you would be the type of person to stay at home and play go fish with your imaginary friends.

Then again, you probably meant: "What's the best free credit card, for someone who only makes 20K a year."

Cheap ass.
Why are you attacking people that disagree with you? Do you think your opinion is the only one that matters and every one else is an idiot?

Your alternatives are barely comparable.

When you talk about Revs, TBC, Dinner with friends etc, you're talking about just going out, spending money and having fun. Just plain old going out and having fun.

Exit is about using your brain, with teamwork, to solve a puzzle and conquer the game; it's a different kind of fun. It's not suppose to be the first thing that comes to mind when you think "Oh I have $25 to spend, I think a great way to have fun is to go to Exit".
It's just not the same kind of fun as going bowling or go karting.

Yes $25 isn't all that much for a night out, but when the clues are missing / staff don't check or set up room properly before next group goes in / make it incredibly hard as a lot of people are saying, then how can you not be upset about value per dollar?

Is $25 expensive? No.
Is $25 expensive considering your experience was ruined / dumbed down as a result of stuff being missing / wrong, and spending another $25 if you want to retry when everything goes as it should? Yes.


Quote:
For the record, if you are too dumb to realize that you should probably move past a free credit card if you put 20K a year on it as you say. Then you would be the type of person to stay at home and play go fish with your imaginary friends.

Then again, you probably meant: "What's the best free credit card, for someone who only makes 20K a year."

Cheap ass.
Really buddy? All that because he failed you?
Grow up.

inb4 I get failed by Meme405
k3mps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:52 PM   #34
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
meme405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,625
Thanked 7,179 Times in 2,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3mps View Post
Why are you attacking people that disagree with you? Do you think your opinion is the only one that matters and every one else is an idiot?

Your alternatives are barely comparable.

When you talk about Revs, TBC, Dinner with friends etc, you're talking about just going out, spending money and having fun. Just plain old going out and having fun.

Exit is about using your brain, with teamwork, to solve a puzzle and conquer the game; it's a different kind of fun. It's not suppose to be the first thing that comes to mind when you think "Oh I have $25 to spend, I think a great way to have fun is to go to Exit".
It's just not the same kind of fun as going bowling or go karting.

Yes $25 isn't all that much for a night out, but when the clues are missing / staff don't check or set up room properly before next group goes in / make it incredibly hard as a lot of people are saying, then how can you not be upset about value per dollar?

Is $25 expensive? No.
Is $25 expensive considering your experience was ruined / dumbed down as a result of stuff being missing / wrong, and spending another $25 if you want to retry when everything goes as it should? Yes.
Actually I like when people actually post as to why they fail someone else. I do not just willy nilly fail people. So no you will not be receiving a fail, because you actually contributed something to the conversation and voiced an intelligent opinion.

Also 50% of your post relies on one thing, the experience being ruined by the staff members incompetency, and I addressed that 100% in my post by stating:

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
I mean can understand feeling ripped off if and when they screw up the puzzles and combo codes.
The problem I see is the people in here stating it is overpriced and expensive, most of them havnt visited. They are simply bashing it cause they are cheap. Of course if they screwed up on the clues or locks, then that is BS and could very well ruin the experience and seem like a rip off.

The other part of your post I do not understand, you are distinguishing E-Exit from karting, and bowling because you actually have to use your brain?

There are plenty of people who solve puzzles (like jig-saw puzzles) for fun, or they read a book. In your mind do these not count as fun activities because they might use moderate amounts of brain activity?

This was not meant to be condescending by the way, just wondering for conversations sake.
__________________

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:19 PM   #35
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: vancouver
Posts: 3,304
Thanked 1,107 Times in 271 Posts
Let's be honest. Everyone who said it was expensive really meant that it doesn't seem like it's worth it. Why are you putting so much thought into it?
KingDeeCee is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2014, 09:52 PM   #36
I subscribe to Revscene
 
k3mps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: vancity
Posts: 1,929
Thanked 1,315 Times in 385 Posts
Quote:
The other part of your post I do not understand, you are distinguishing E-Exit from karting, and bowling because you actually have to use your brain?

There are plenty of people who solve puzzles (like jig-saw puzzles) for fun, or they read a book. In your mind do these not count as fun activities because they might use moderate amounts of brain activity?
I never said puzzle solving wasn't fun.
I am distinguishing Exit from karting and bowling because the latter two do not require puzzle solving to have fun for many people.

Exit requires problem solving. Karting and bowling do not.
Nobody says to their friends, "Hey I know what we can do tonight, we can play real life escape room!" unless everyone is genuinely interested in doing it, or wants to try it once. What I'm trying to say is, the people who are paying the $25 are not doing it for the same reason why others are paying $25 to go karting or bowling.
They are doing it because they haven't been before or because they find enjoyment in it. That's why people are calling it "a place you visit once just for the record".
It people considered it cheap, don't you think they would have a large amount of return customers?

If you can understand that people would feel ripped off as a result of incompetency, then why are you calling them cheap? In order to have felt ripped off as a result of these problems, they would have actually done it. Which means they aren't cheap because they paid.

And I don't think I'm a cheap person; I don't mind paying more for premium features / advantages, but $25 to play real life escape room? And people on this forum and many of my friends have said it takes more than 1 try to succeed? Psh, please, I have more entertaining stuff to spend $25 / $50 on if I'm looking for a night of, what I and many others consider fun.

If I was to try something new, then ya I would do it.

To put it in perspective, I went to Sushi Nanaimo once, just to try something new and to say I went there. I hated the place and I don't plan on going back.
For the same money, I could have had a nice burger, but I didn't because I wanted sushi. If my friends said to me "let's have some delicious food tonight! Where do you want to go?", you think I'm going to be saying Sushi Nanaimo again?
k3mps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:52 PM   #37
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
Xu.Vi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: vancouver
Posts: 578
Thanked 697 Times in 163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post

The other part of your post I do not understand, you are distinguishing E-Exit from karting, and bowling because you actually have to use your brain?

There are plenty of people who solve puzzles (like jig-saw puzzles) for fun, or they read a book. In your mind do these not count as fun activities because they might use moderate amounts of brain activity?

This was not meant to be condescending by the way, just wondering for conversations sake.
Probably because many don't pay 25 dollars to half complete a puzzle and most likely pay another 25 to get slightly further.
Xu.Vi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:31 PM   #38
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
meme405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,625
Thanked 7,179 Times in 2,177 Posts
I was really just thinking this is another great activity to get a group of friends together.

If your friends are anything like mine, sometimes it can be tough to find activities that don't involve the club, or the other more common past times like karting, bowling, the movies, a bite to eat, etc.

I like stuff like this because it is different, much like that zombie paintball park. Sure it is a gimmick just tacked onto paintballing, but it can be hugely entertaining if you and your friends go into it with the right mindset.

To be fair it sounds like me & you operate pretty differently. I did literally say to my friends "Hey how about we do E-Exit tonight", and posted the link for everyone to look at it. Pretty much everyone came back and said something along the lines of, "yeah why not looks pretty cool".

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3mps View Post

If you can understand that people would feel ripped off as a result of incompetency, then why are you calling them cheap? In order to have felt ripped off as a result of these problems, they would have actually done it. Which means they aren't cheap because they paid.
I stated exactly why, because most of the people in here who said its expensive have never been, and therefore did not have it ruined for them by the staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss6o4 View Post
Probably because many don't pay 25 dollars to half complete a puzzle and most likely pay another 25 to get slightly further.
Have you been? Because I have been twice, with two different groups of friends, and the second time I was the only one who had been before. We made it out that second time.

TBH after you kind of see the process involved, you can make it out the second time no problem (this is of course if they don't screw up the locks, which they havnt either time for me). Also to be clear I did two different scenarios... So it is not like I had to do the same scenario to make it out.

Either way, your logic is not very sound, that's like saying you shouldn't play COD because you don't win everytime or, not to go karting because you won't have the fastest time. You go because it is FUN. Even the first time when my friends didn't win, we didn't leave the place bitter or anything, we left with a smile on our faces, cause we still had a good time.

LOL maybe I am in the minority here though. I also love to try and do jigsaw puzzles by completing the border last...
__________________

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread

Last edited by meme405; 01-13-2014 at 10:42 PM.
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:19 PM   #39
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS
 
Okami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 1,587
Thanked 8,460 Times in 791 Posts
Did the prison like 2 weeks ago.. got the second room and got stuck on this 6 of spades clue.. PM with answer if you have it haha..
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange7 View Post
you not take me serious! This thread is seriouses! Me want serious answers.
Okami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:02 AM   #40
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 857
Thanked 1,067 Times in 228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Then again, you probably meant: "What's the best free credit card, for someone who only makes 20K a year."

Cheap ass.
reading your posts are just hilarious cause you try so hard to come off as a baller all the time.

you need to understand the difference between thinking something is EXPENSIVE, and not being able to AFFORD it. 2 different things.

for myself, i don't think that spending $25 bucks to solve a puzzle is worth it. for one thing, puzzles don't have that much overhead. like, once you buy/design the puzzle initially, they just sit there and all they need is to hire employees to set it up etc.

whereas i'm willing to spend $20 bucks to watch a movie, cause they have big ass screens and crazy sound systems.
and i'm willing to pay $40 for go-karting cause they have go-karts and a track and they use gas etc.
and dinner is dinner cause there's a food cost plus the chef's time etc.

no, i've never been there, but to me the idea of it doesn't sound like its worth $25 at all. to some it may be, but not everybody has the same opinion as you.
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:16 AM   #41
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
meme405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,625
Thanked 7,179 Times in 2,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorn View Post
reading your posts are just hilarious cause you try so hard to come off as a baller all the time.
I don't try to sound like a baller at all. If you mean in this thread, then I can see how you may think that since I am defending what I believe to be a fair price for an entertainment service that is provided, but feel free to go find other posts of mine where you believe I come off as a baller.

I might come off as a smart-ass 95% of the time, but that is just because that is my attitude on this forum. I actually read most of the posts in the sections of this site that I frequent, which means that when I post it is because I have an opinion, and generally it will be a well thought out one. You will notice that I come back and semi-intelligently defend that opinion, and in a lot of cases I recognize the counter arguments; however, that does not mean I have to agree with them. What is frustrating is receiving fails, from random people who do not even share their own opinions or encourage the conversation. Had you or K3mps failed me then made your posts, I wouldn't have complained at all, but Carisar still has yet to come in here and make the arguments you guys have. So I stand by my opinion that he is just a cheap ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorn View Post
you need to understand the difference between thinking something is EXPENSIVE, and not being able to AFFORD it. 2 different things.
I understand the difference, I do not believe anyone on this forum cannot afford $25. I am simply making the argument that I do not believe $25 is all that expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorn View Post
for myself, i don't think that spending $25 bucks to solve a puzzle is worth it. for one thing, puzzles don't have that much overhead. like, once you buy/design the puzzle initially, they just sit there and all they need is to hire employees to set it up etc.
I can respect that, it is not something you are into doing, that is fair. Besides staff and some basic maintenance the running costs of E-Exit are probably pretty low, yes that is true. However if you actually go there you will notice that the puzzles go far beyond "buying" the puzzle. The rooms are pretty intricate and well detailed (I would argue much more than any movie set). So I am sure this costed whoever started the venture a good chunk of change.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorn View Post
not everybody has the same opinion as you.
I know that not everyone has the same opinion as me, however there were a bunch of people stating their opinion that it was super expensive. So I decided to state MY opinion that I believe the price is pretty much in line with other entertainment offerings in Vancouver.
__________________

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2014, 09:39 AM   #42
Banned (ABWS)?
 
AzNightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 16,915
Thanked 2,133 Times in 1,027 Posts

wtf happened to this thread


I thought it was an alright experience for $25. I may go again, but probably not any time soon. And I wouldn't try the same one. From other friends that have already tried it before me, I already knew chances were slim of escaping to begin with. So we all went in with that expectation. Escaping would have felt like a big achievement, not so much of an expectation.

So it has nothing to do with "winning". The experience was different, and although things could have been better, such as more item-finding puzzles rather than just unlocking luggage locks to get more clues to unlock other luggage locks, it was still fun IMO. Note that I was actually the dead-weight in my group too, cause the method of approach I had tackling these puzzles were off.

$25 isn't a big number, but it's enough to make people think twice about spending it without thought.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorn View Post
for myself, i don't think that spending $25 bucks to solve a puzzle is worth it. for one thing, puzzles don't have that much overhead. like, once you buy/design the puzzle initially, they just sit there and all they need is to hire employees to set it up etc.

whereas i'm willing to spend $20 bucks to watch a movie, cause they have big ass screens and crazy sound systems.
and i'm willing to pay $40 for go-karting cause they have go-karts and a track and they use gas etc.
and dinner is dinner cause there's a food cost plus the chef's time etc.
I think the money amount and overhead has no justification. Especially when you use "movie (theatre)" as a good example. You just need some guy to play a movie on the projector, and sit back.

E-Exit's money is spent on decorating all the rooms to create an atmosphere. Like picture one of those fright night haunted house stuff. You're not just in a white room with a set of these:


I get it though, $25 is a steep price to pay if you have no interest in these escape games.
I would even say, 45 minutes is a steep price to pay if you have no interest, no matter how baller someone is.
__________________
__________________________________________________
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:58 AM   #43
bcrdukes
 
TOS'd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 9,051
Thanked 5,121 Times in 1,532 Posts
I wish on the boxes it would tell me which room it belonged to

The second time I went, we made it into the second room, no cheating, and we were stuck for awhile in the second room. I called for a hint and the person was like how did you get in here, and also she was like these 4 puzzle boxes you don't need, they were for room one. Lol
Posted via RS Mobile
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:07 AM   #44
rebuild you say?
 
Not really racist!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,150
Thanked 3,532 Times in 1,172 Posts
__________________

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2014, 10:44 AM   #45
HELP ME PLS!!!
 
carisear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: South Central V
Posts: 5,505
Thanked 509 Times in 204 Posts
wow, how long did it take you to look through my posts from years ago to find something that was a valid question for that thread?

btw, I failed you because of your attitude calling people out for having a different opinion of you. If someone thinks $25 is expensive for that experience, then they must have a reason for it. You also come across as being a baller-know-it-all. Not everyone is in the same socio-economic situation as you may be in.

personally, I really want to try this place at it looks kind of cool, and thought $25 was a reasonable price. Hell, even before I read this thread, I said the exact same things as you to my gf as to why $25 was decent -- TBC costs way more than that.

but hey, apparently I'm a cheap ass because I failed you. You are entitled to that opinion. Don't worry, I won't take it personally, and wont look at all of your other posts to try to pick them apart.

I didn't even want to write this, as the point of having a thanks/fail system is so that you don't fill up the thread with off topic posts. Sorry to the other people reading who are just trying to look at relevant posts about Exit!
__________________
Visit my food blog! http://jaxandcs.com/

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2014, 11:19 AM   #46
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
meme405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,625
Thanked 7,179 Times in 2,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carisear View Post
wow, how long did it take you to look through my posts from years ago to find something that was a valid question for that thread?

btw, I failed you because of your attitude calling people out for having a different opinion of you. If someone thinks $25 is expensive for that experience, then they must have a reason for it. You also come across as being a baller-know-it-all. Not everyone is in the same socio-economic situation as you may be in.

personally, I really want to try this place at it looks kind of cool, and thought $25 was a reasonable price. Hell, even before I read this thread, I said the exact same things as you to my gf as to why $25 was decent -- TBC costs way more than that.

but hey, apparently I'm a cheap ass because I failed you. You are entitled to that opinion. Don't worry, I won't take it personally, and wont look at all of your other posts to try to pick them apart.

I didn't even want to write this, as the point of having a thanks/fail system is so that you don't fill up the thread with off topic posts. Sorry to the other people reading who are just trying to look at relevant posts about Exit!
I literally only looked at the first page of your posts and found one post where you said "Richmond night market is Cheeeaaaaap" and the post I chose. You don't post that often anymore...

Either way, maybe I was a bit aggressive, post above removed.

I do agree I come across as a know it all, that's is just my attitude when I post on RS. Like I said, when I post it is usually in threads where I have an opinion, or an opinion on a given topic, and normally its not just on a whim, it is something well thought out. I definitely do not mean to come off as a baller though.

BTW most of these posts were related to Exit, as we were discussing the price. Maybe only a couple got OT. Either way without the conversation between us, this thread would have just died anyway, and atleast this way people won't complain about RS being "dead".
__________________

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2014, 01:19 PM   #47
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 857
Thanked 1,067 Times in 228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post

I think the money amount and overhead has no justification. Especially when you use "movie (theatre)" as a good example. You just need some guy to play a movie on the projector, and sit back.

well you don't think the projectors they use are expensive? you think maybe you can just pick one up at office depot or something?

besides the initial cost, there's also a major ONGOING cost for theatres: the movies themselves.

no, i don't know how much it costs the theatre to buy the rights to show a movie.. so i looked it up. and generally howstuffworks has pretty reliable information.
HowStuffWorks "How Movie Distribution Works"

you can read more about it there, but this picture is pretty informative:


so your movie ticket is really not making them that much money, being profitable only half the time and not even that much.

also:
Quote:
The movie itself is considered a loss leader by the theater owner: It is meant to get people into the theater. The theater makes its money selling refreshments to the movie audience. That's why concessions are so expensive -- without the profits generated by things like popcorn and soda, most theaters could not afford to stay in business.
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:27 PM   #48
Banned (ABWS)?
 
AzNightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 16,915
Thanked 2,133 Times in 1,027 Posts
No, the point is, you don't like escape puzzles and would not pay $25 to experience one, which is fine. I just found using "overhead" to justify spending irrelevant.
People will spend on what they like/want to do, without writing a list of that places' overhead expenses to see if it's worth while.

Otherwise every Starbucks would be out of business. Not to mention, there's a lot of places to get coffee, and only one escape place in Vancouver.
If more escape places start to open up, I can see the prices coming down. Even with the price coming down, if people don't like these things, they still won't go.
__________________
__________________________________________________
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:28 PM   #49
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
Xu.Vi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: vancouver
Posts: 578
Thanked 697 Times in 163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Have you been? Because I have been twice, with two different groups of friends, and the second time I was the only one who had been before. We made it out that second time.

TBH after you kind of see the process involved, you can make it out the second time no problem (this is of course if they don't screw up the locks, which they havnt either time for me). Also to be clear I did two different scenarios... So it is not like I had to do the same scenario to make it out.

Either way, your logic is not very sound, that's like saying you shouldn't play COD because you don't win everytime or, not to go karting because you won't have the fastest time. You go because it is FUN. Even the first time when my friends didn't win, we didn't leave the place bitter or anything, we left with a smile on our faces, cause we still had a good time.

LOL maybe I am in the minority here though. I also love to try and do jigsaw puzzles by completing the border last...
Simply because not everyone finds the fun factor vs price worth it. Just as how I wouldn't go mini-golf even if it were to be free. And yes, I am going later this month so I do get where you're coming from .
Xu.Vi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:04 PM   #50
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS
 
JSALES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 11,577
Thanked 2,738 Times in 776 Posts
I remember my friend sent me the invite for the group/page and I remember browsing through the photos and I thought she had invited me to some international student club or something at her school. I only thought that because all I saw were a bunch of Asians with long hair holding up signs because I didn't take the time to read lol
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net