REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 08:18 PM   #1
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Don Docksteader Subaru Service Department Scratched My STI Lip Kit.

Hey everyone, long story-short... I went to the dealer for a scheduled warranty service to take my Pioneer radio out to get it shipped to Pioneer HQ for a reflash because they could not figure out what the passcode was after I removed the negative battery terminal. They want to charge me $75 for the reflash even though it's not my fault from the beginning. Eventually if I end up getting a new battery or need to work on the car I always disconnect the negative to be safe... and eventually sooner or later this will happen.

To make matters worst, when I got back to the car after the service, the car was parked facing the curb. Immediately I knew something was not right (they even said they normally, as per policy, park backing up). Anyways, low and behold, I found nice scrapes underneath my STI front lip. How do I know I didn't do it? Well, I checked and took a photo of my front lip in my own garage before I headed down to the dealer on that very same day! Service Manager said that they refuse to fix it and do anything about it; what made me more upset was the fact that he said it is not a Canadian product (referring to the lip), and that if they scratched it, it would have left a mark on the concrete...Seriously?!

Now, I understand that if my car was lowered it would be my fault for putting it out of spec, but blaming the kit from overseas BUILT for the BRZ by STI is utter BULLCRAP. I also understand that scratches and scuffs of the underside of any lip is inevitable, but the fact that these guy did it and not admit to it is what ticks me off and unfair. Anyways here are some photos and videos for you to decide. Also I need some transcripts for the videos to make out what they are saying, I know you guys can be really good detectives... I have already emailed Subaru Canada about this and hope to get a response soon.

Any help would be much appreciated!

I am so paranoid that I took pictures of the front dash and front lip right before taking her into for service...

Before Picture in my garage on the same date.

After the fact, when I came back to the car after the service.

Technician, parked the car too close and you can hear the scrape right after he put it in Park.

Service Advisor and Service Manager talking amongst themselves while I was waiting in the waiting room.

Modded/Non-modded Subaru/Volvo owners BEWARE!

P.S. Date and time on dashcam are wrong.
Advertisement

Last edited by DaJo; 01-16-2014 at 02:04 AM.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-14-2014, 08:22 PM   #2
cho
sneaky beaky like

Thanked 4,512 Times in 638 Posts
i had to take my friends sti in for an inspection, i told the guys at the desk that its too low/heavily modified and i would rather them not look at it and have me pay the fee

took them 2hours to look around and tell me "exhaust has been modified, seat has been changed, brakes appear to be aftermarket"
Old 01-14-2014, 08:33 PM   #3
2-Wheelin' Mod

Honestly man ... scratches are just the reality of owning an aftermarket lip. Given that they are on the underside I wouldn't sweat a bullet. If it didn't happen now it would happen eventually. This is going to become a classic example of he-said-she-said... if the dealer is willing to compensate in some form (complimentary servicing, etc.) fantastic... otherwise, do you honestly have the time and energy to pursue this?

Also - I owned an STi for many years that sat low on coilovers and had a front lip amongst many other things. The dealer was supportive but uncomfortable with working on my car and I didn't blame them at all... aftermarket parts come with costs/risks beyond the initial purchase/installation.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfighter View Post
Honestly man ... scratches are just the reality of owning an aftermarket lip. Given that they are on the underside I wouldn't sweat a bullet. If it didn't happen now it would happen eventually. This is going to become a classic example of he-said-she-said... if the dealer is willing to compensate in some form (complimentary servicing, etc.) fantastic... otherwise, do you honestly have the time and energy to pursue this?

Also - I owned an STi for many years that sat low on coilovers and had a front lip amongst many other things. The dealer was supportive but uncomfortable with working on my car and I didn't blame them at all... aftermarket parts come with costs/risks beyond the initial purchase/installation.
It's more of their customer service ethics I am not happy with. The Service Manager had no remorse or any sympathy at all, gave me horrible attitude and refused to anything... Even chuckled when I told them I take before pictures just in case.

They also have a policy for not backing up a customer's vehicle into a stall for safety reasons. (What my salesman said)
Old 01-14-2014, 08:38 PM   #5
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

U wont even be able to see it..
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 01-14-2014, 08:41 PM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

Somebody call the waaaaaaaabulane
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-14-2014, 08:44 PM   #7
2-Wheelin' Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJo View Post
It's more of their customer service ethics I am not happy with. The Service Manager had no remorse or any sympathy at all.

I understand that but the it's very hard to substantiate what that conversation actually looked like ... certainly not suggesting that you are fabricating the context of the discussion but I'm sure everybody here can appreciate both sides of conversation.

I know dealerships do a thorough walk-around of the vehicle when it is being signed in (we do) but I have never known one to check underneath the car for damage... had the front of the lip been scratched or cracked I'm sure this would be an entirely different story.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfighter View Post
I understand that but the it's very hard to substantiate what that conversation actually looked like ... certainly not suggesting that you are fabricating the context of the discussion but I'm sure everybody here can appreciate both sides of conversation.

I know dealerships do a thorough walk-around of the vehicle when it is being signed in (we do) but I have never known one to check underneath the car for damage... had the front of the lip been scratched or cracked I'm sure this would be an entirely different story.
They did the check because I complained to them after I took a look. I always inspect my vehicle thoroughly before even getting into it.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:57 PM   #9
GC8
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 1,146 Times in 121 Posts
I may get my first fail posting this but oh well. Firstly I feel your pain... we are all car enthusiast here. I really hope they can do something to resolve this to your satisfaction.

I only post this because I hope it can ease some of your headaches.
Do you ever plan on lowering your car? do you drive it daily? is it wrong for me to say that it will eventually happen? but in this case you don't have to hate yourself or your GF. You can hate on them! *temporary hate*

I do not think I have ever seen a car *not suv* last its life without undercarriage scratches. I would be way more concerned if it was visible from the front or sides.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2014, 08:59 PM   #10

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
sorry, not a car expert here, but would the underside still scratch if the lip wasn't installed since they are blaming the lip. maybe go at it with that angle and see what they say. and if their policy is to back in, why didn't they with your vehicle?
Old 01-14-2014, 09:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby View Post
sorry, not a car expert here, but would the underside still scratch if the lip wasn't installed since they are blaming the lip. maybe go at it with that angle and see what they say. and if their policy is to back in, why didn't they with your vehicle?
I should have asked them that. Unfortunately I found out after I went to talk to my salesman. He even showed me the whole lot and about 98% of the cars were parked backed-in. The few he said are most likely driven and parked by customers. Their Techs are "supposed" to be trained to back into stalls.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:18 PM   #12
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

It's the underside of the lip. When will you walk by and look there? You would have done the same sooner or later.
I don't deal with Don Docksteader, I just don't like their customer service. Langley Subaru is much easier to deal with and more modfied car friendly.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 01-14-2014, 09:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
It's the underside of the lip. When will you walk by and look there? You would have done the same sooner or later.
I don't deal with Don Docksteader, I just don't like their customer service. Langley Subaru is much easier to deal with and more modfied car friendly.
Posted via RS Mobile
I understand that scratches and scuffs of the underside of any lip is inevitable, but the fact that these guy did it and not admit to it is what ticks me off.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:34 PM   #14
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,491 Times in 4,303 Posts
So, is this a public service announcement to avoid Don Docksteader or a thread simply to vent your frustrations and to share your experience?

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2014, 09:38 PM   #15
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
Posted via RS Mobile
its not for someone else to scratch first, he paid $2000 for the lip so he should be the one to scratch it first
Old 01-14-2014, 09:40 PM   #16
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,128 Times in 7,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
Somebody call the waaaaaaaabulane
What the fuck is a wabulane?
OP go there with 50 grit sandpaper and scratch the bottom of all their BRZ lips. But seriously, if that part of my car got scratched I'd never even look at it, never mind care, although I understand the frustration in them not admitting it. A simple sorry and I'd let it go, but since they can't even do that drag their name through the shit and let them know you are doing it.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2014, 09:46 PM   #17

$2000 for a lip lol! could have been worse, what did you expect them to do? buy you a new lip?
92 240sx - dd/project car
88 CRX - sold
98 DC2 - sold

Renting out pbm fender roller - pm for details.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
So, is this a public service announcement to avoid Don Docksteader or a thread simply to vent your frustrations and to share your experience?
All of the above, it seems.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:50 PM   #19
I am Hook'd on RS

Wow. $2000 for that stupid lip kit? You should get a home depot lip instead.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by satek View Post
$2000 for a lip lol! could have been worse, what did you expect them to do? buy you a new lip?
$2000 for the full lip kit. The front lip is about $400-$500.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:51 PM   #21
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by satek View Post
I'm pretty sure 2k is for the whole kit. The front lip if I recall is around 600 bucks or so
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2014, 09:52 PM   #22
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Wait, you spent $2000 on a lip kit?

edit: godamnit took too long to read through this stupid thread and got beat
Old 01-14-2014, 10:27 PM   #23
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
Wait, you spent $2000 on a lip kit?

edit: godamnit took too long to read through this stupid thread and got beat
SUBARU : ?????? > ??????? > SUBARU BRZ > ?????????? > STI???????

The lip is 42,000 yen ($441 Canadian @ today's rate)
+ shipping I guess?
Old 01-14-2014, 10:30 PM   #24

If you go on their website, New and Used Subaru Dealer | Vancouver, British Columbia | Docksteader Subaru

and it will lead you to this website. Docksteader Subaru Reviews, 8530 Cambie Street , Vancouver | Subaru Dealers, Auto Service, Used Car Dealers | n49.ca
Old 01-14-2014, 10:37 PM   #25

^ anyways what I was trying to show you was that you can probably give them crap ass rating, maybe post pictures or link you youtube videos if you can.

as far as scratch goes, unfortunately there aren't much you can do.
If you want to take it far and file a lawsuit, I suspect that you would win since you got both pictures and videos as an evidence.

However lawsuit like this is going to be very slow process just like we all know, even small civil claims will take up to few years.
I am not sure if you want to spend extra time and effort going through all this just so that they will pay the repair or replace your front lip.
For most people, it's not really worth it for a sake of few hundred bucks at most.

I know you're frustrated and everything but it's not really worth your time worrying about it. Life is too short.

What you can do is to let people know what they did to you, conveniently we have internet. You can go to business review sites and post it there.

To make a long story short, there aren't much you can do about it. Just forget it and move on. Lucky the damage isn't substantial.
This post thanked by:
Closed Thread