REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:10 PM   #26
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
I've used StudioTax for 3 years now and it's been great. I actually duplicate work on TurboTax to "check my work" as the software wizard is better on the latter. I just submit via netfile using ST. I continue to use ST as my previous years' information are all stored in their file formats.
Advertisement
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:38 PM   #27
nns

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
I'm a little confused. I received 2 T4s from my employer. Each T4 having different #s. I'm guessing I should file both?
Old 03-03-2014, 03:44 PM   #28
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I use studio tax. Its not the nicest tax software to look at but gets the job done.
Posted via RS Mobile
saveth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:01 PM   #29
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,830 Times in 877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy89 View Post
Question:

How do I know or find out whether I claimed my T2202A (tuition/books)? I graduated 3 years ago and I can't recall if I claimed any T2202a's because I was told to "save it" until I get a larger annual income.....

Will I need to call the CRA to find out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancehead View Post
sign up for an account on the CRA website and you can view how much you have left remaining.
The remaining amount shown is not an indication of whether you reported your previous T2202a, nor is it an indication of how much had been claimed before.
ie. if my remaining amount is $10000, how do i know if its from last year or the year before? how can i tell which year i forgot to include the t2202a?

The only way to check is to look at each year's Tax Return and see whether there was anything reported in each of those years. If you are not sure how to figure that out by looking at it, you will need to call CRA to be certain (or pay somebody).
bobbinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:03 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I'm a little confused. I received 2 T4s from my employer. Each T4 having different #s. I'm guessing I should file both?
Yes, you include both. Some employers issue multiple T4s for different types of payments. For example, my overtime pay is on a separate T4 than my regular pay.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-03-2014, 05:11 PM   #31
nns

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
Thanks.

Maybe you can help me answer this, what's "13 - RRSP contributions you are deducting for 2013"?

I'm guessing that's the amount of money out of the sum total that I've put into RRSPs, which I've decided to claim in income taxes in an effort to get a return back?
Old 03-03-2014, 05:31 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
Thanks.

Maybe you can help me answer this, what's "13 - RRSP contributions you are deducting for 2013"?

I'm guessing that's the amount of money out of the sum total that I've put into RRSPs, which I've decided to claim in income taxes in an effort to get a return back?
Precisely.

I can contribute $1000 in RRSPs this year, but it doesn't mean I need to claim all $1000 right away. Maybe I only want to claim $200 this year and save the other $800 for next year. (note* You'd still need to report you contributed the total $1000, so CRA knows how much unused amount is left over for the future)
This post thanked by:
Old 03-03-2014, 06:36 PM   #33
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,760 Times in 902 Posts
I'm surrpised people still pay and buy tax software when CRA themselves list all the free programs on their bloody website.

NETFILE - Certified Software for the 2014 NETFILE Program (2013 tax return)

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:44 PM   #34
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
I'm surrpised people still pay and buy tax software when CRA themselves list all the free programs on their bloody website.

Once your taxes get a little more complicated, such as owning a business, you have to start investing in better tax software.

However for the vast majority of people you are correct, I have no idea why they pay for tax software...

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:01 PM   #35

Judging from what I've seen at the retail level, there are a lot of people who are wary of free software thinking there's some catch. While working at Staples I would sometimes quietly mention that there are always free alternatives, but I would always get a "I don't trust free software/Nothing is free" rebuttal.

Also, some people (I know because I see it in my own family) simply don't know how to use the internet. They would rather just go into a store and buy the program that they can simply find just by doing a Google search. I know it's hard to believe in this day and age, but it's true.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:08 PM   #36
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
I had to pay around $600 last year, hopefully this year I get a decent return though I'm still waiting for my T4 =/
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:11 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
Judging from what I've seen at the retail level, there are a lot of people who are wary of free software thinking there's some catch. While working at Staples I would sometimes quietly mention that there are always free alternatives, but I would always get a "I don't trust free software/Nothing is free" rebuttal.

Also, some people (I know because I see it in my own family) simply don't know how to use the internet. They would rather just go into a store and buy the program that they can simply find just by doing a Google search. I know it's hard to believe in this day and age, but it's true.
lol fair enough. I can think of countless time I'm talking to a citizen on the phone trying to direct them to our City website vancouver.ca

Conversation goes like

me: Ok go to Vancouver.ca
citizen: ok I'm on google now where do I go
me: *face palm*

Old 03-03-2014, 10:08 PM   #38
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Quote:

Isn't it only free if you are a student or making low income?
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:09 PM   #39
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
I owe about $1k. Cra can wait till deadline before they see money from me lol
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:19 PM   #40

Quote:
lol fair enough. I can think of countless time I'm talking to a citizen on the phone trying to direct them to our City website vancouver.ca

Conversation goes like

me: Ok go to Vancouver.ca
citizen: ok I'm on google now where do I go
me: *face palm*
Oh man I seriously think that the majority of the 45+ demographic is like that. Not everyone is happy with change, and a lot of that has happened in the last 20 years. It's easy to be left behind with the sort of progress we've seen.

My mom who is turning 50 this year (and was never a technical person to begin with) uses a computer every day for work. But "using" a computer is not the same as using a computer. Case and point- I was using my mom's computer the other day (it's in the living room, has linux because it's been a pain maintaining Windows for her) and I noticed "facebook.com" in the google search bar just beside the URL bar in Firefox.

I asked my sister what the hell that was all about, and she replied that putting "facebook.com" in the google search was how my mom logged on. Sure it's an extra click, but god damnit you'd be surprised what people don't know with respect to newer technology. You just can't assume they know lol

Back on topic- I'm expecting a healthy return as I've been putting RRSPs away for use for a first-time home buyers' credit. The refund will just end up in my TFSA to continue saving for said home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
Yep it is. I forget what the income cut off is (I think 20k or something).
Old 03-03-2014, 10:57 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
No, Studio Tax for example is straight up free regardless. I've been using it for a few years now. Some of the free options I believe have a criteria but some are just straight free.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:12 AM   #42

^I was thinking he meant for paid programs like TurboTax. StudioTax is free free free.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:53 PM   #43

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Me and my friend was discussing that if you get a professional to do your income tax, you can possibly get more back.

My question is, under what circumstances should you pay someone to do it for you? I've been filing my own income tax for several years now using studiotax, I just hope I'm not missing out on more money by not having someone with income tax knowledge to file it.

I'm just an average employee doing 8 hour shift 5 days a week.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:13 PM   #44
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Most tax programs are more than sufficient to maximize your return and claiming of any credits if you have a simple income such as those from a T4 or a T5. The only time I would consider maybe getting a professional on board would be when you have multiple sources of income including business, property and commission, since there are many things that are deductible and non-deductible or 50% deductible and the whole deal. Also if you run your own business, I would probably recommend getting an accountant to handle your tax as well
Bring some RS people with you to help u GANG BANG the guy!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:05 PM   #45

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Damnit, looks like I will be owing $4.00.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:20 AM   #46
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
pretty annoyed at CRA for 2012 reassessment
they said review/processing my T2202A takes 6-8 weeks...for one friggin form
so I thought to upload documents electronically to speed up the process because i'm in a crunch to get to my 2013 taxes filed

nope...they want to send you a security code by slow mail before you can even register...seriously what kinda backwards ass country do we live in
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:02 AM   #47

^It's the worst. My first code didn't come in so I called in to ask if they could give it to me over the phone. I understand that it's a security feature, but given I answered all the security questions over the phone, I don't see how that's safer than getting a code in the mail for someone to potentially steal (likely by accident).

Anyways the code took the whole 5 BDs. Thankfully I wasn't in a rush to get things done, but yes you're right it's quite backwards.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:48 AM   #48
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
I am actually getting $1200 back after RRSP and school credit =D. Time for a new phone!
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:23 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
pretty annoyed at CRA for 2012 reassessment
they said review/processing my T2202A takes 6-8 weeks...for one friggin form
so I thought to upload documents electronically to speed up the process because i'm in a crunch to get to my 2013 taxes filed

nope...they want to send you a security code by slow mail before you can even register...seriously what kinda backwards ass country do we live in
The onus is on you to file your taxes correctly on time, which would've been last year. Since you are only doing/fixing it now, you can't really blame anyone else. It's tax time right now, for 2013 taxes. Your 2012 return has no priority.

Just because it's one form doesn't mean they just slip it into a folder under your name and call it a day. Your entire return is redone. The credits from your tuition don't just affect that year's tax return, but also future tax returns.

Identity fraud. That's why. I don't even know why this would need to be explained.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-10-2014, 08:09 AM   #50
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

I use Quicktax/Turbo Tax every year..

Torrent the newest (CAD) version and good to go.. gets all the updates.. never been an issue.. been doing it every year. for the last 8 years or so.

i also do the Tax's with it for my Sisters/ and couple friends.