REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:23 AM   #151
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
Fall into a lower tax bracket? lol
Tax season 2016: 10 myths that mislead Canadians - Business: Tax Season - CBC News

Myth 4: I should have refused that pay raise because it will bump me into a higher tax bracket.

Federal tax brackets for the 2015 tax year:
  • Up to $44,701 — 15%
  • $44,701-$89,401 — Tax rate 22%
  • $89,401-$138,586 — Tax rate 26%
  • Over $138,586 — Tax rate 29%
​​Source: CRA

Canadians face four federal tax brackets and up to six brackets provincially. But "bumping into the next bracket" just means that one's excess income in the higher bracket will be taxed at the higher rate. The higher rate does not apply to all of the person's income.

"All of the money you earned below the new tax bracket remains taxed at the lower rates," points out Edmonton-based financial educator Jim Yih in his Retire Happy blog.

"The bottom line is you should never, ever, ever turn down money. Enjoy every pay increase you receive without tax worries, and remember that those higher paycheques mean more money in your pocket."
Advertisement
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:27 AM   #152

If you have Netflix account, chances are, you are cheating on your GST/PST.

However, the tax compliance is "virtually zero"

Read e-books? Watch Netflix? You're probably a tax cheat - Business: Tax Season - CBC News
Old 03-01-2016, 11:36 AM   #153
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
Does anyone know with the T2200 form, work related expenses etc, can you claim parking?
Old 03-01-2016, 05:05 PM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Does anyone know with the T2200 form, work related expenses etc, can you claim parking?
https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tax-resou...d-expenses.jsp

Other Employment Expenses

In some circumstances, you might be able to claim “other” employment expenses as well. However, to qualify for this additional deduction, the CRA wants you to meet two special conditions. The first condition is that your employment contract requires you to pay the expenses, and the second is that you don't receive an allowance to pay the costs; or if you do receive an allowance, that your employer adds it to your total income. If you meet these two conditions, examples of some of the expenses you can claim include accounting and legal fees, transportation costs, office rent, supplies and the price of electronic devices -- and maybe even a rebate of any GST or HST taxes you paid when you purchased these items. Just note that allowable expense amounts differ based on whether you’re a salaried or commission employee: The CRA website provides a detailed breakdown of how much can be deducted for both employee types in a wide range of categories, from meals to lodging to parking.

Unlike the Canada employment amount credit, you must keep track of expenses for this deduction. Vancouver tax professional Darryl Francis reminds us that the expenses “must be directly related to your employment – for example, if you purchase supplies, they must be used for work and not for another purpose. You want to make sure you have documents, such as receipts or invoices, to prove your expenses so they can be verified if you’re ever audited.” If you claim expenses under this category, it's a deduction from income, which ultimately reduces your taxable income and can lower your total tax due. If you’re eligible, you can claim expenses under this category, plus the general employment amount credit.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2016, 10:03 AM   #155

What the heck...

more details: Canada Revenue offered amnesty to wealthy KPMG clients in offshore tax 'sham' - Business - CBC News

I hope Justin Trudeau will fix this mess.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:41 PM   #156
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
did my tax this time with turbotax, literally had to punch in 4 boxes as its a basic t4 (income, ei premiums, cpp contributions, cpp earnings) and this time it says im only getting 80 cents back LOL havent filed it but did the steps to see what i would get in return.

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:45 PM   #157

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XplicitLuder View Post
did my tax this time with turbotax, literally had to punch in 4 boxes as its a basic t4 (income, ei premiums, cpp contributions, cpp earnings) and this time it says im only getting 80 cents back LOL havent filed it but did the steps to see what i would get in return.
atleast you're getting something back... did mine and i owe them $15 apparently