REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:53 PM   #26
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
Keep in mind, companie are allowed to discriminate to target their customer or employee as long as it does not violate the charter of rights, while some may argue having a Chinese only sign is a discrimination based on race (not allowed in the charter or rights), it is actually a discrimination based on language.

For example, a Chinese restaurant may post an ad saying "hiring, mandarin speaking required", but they may not say "hiring, chinese people only" Because the ability to speak mandarin does not mean you are Chinese.

So in the case of advertisement, having a Chinese only sign, is targeting Chinese reading customers, I myself is Chinese however I would not fit into the targeted marketing because I do not read Chinese, and likely will converse in English when visiting a business. However, if a caucasian customer can read Chinese, then the Ad would be targeting the as well.
Advertisement
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2014, 10:13 PM   #27
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ae101 View Post
if ever come back & start a business here, im gonna make sure my bloody ads are fucking "CHINESE & FRENCH", screw english im gonna just gonna troll on everyone in richmond
As long as it has either English or French I'm happy. I may suck at French, but that would just give me more of a reason to learn our other national language. However, I will not even attempt to learn Chinese(or any other language for that matter). If I want to learn I'd either take a course or travel and learn a language first hand. Shouldn't have to be smothered in fully foreign ads on streets while minding my own buisness. Private ads or not, they should contain either English or French in my mind.

If they don't want my buisness that's fine, but this isn't your old country, so it's time to learn your new language.
Posted via RS Mobile
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:21 PM   #28

she is probably as white as sliced bread and does not know even her own origins.

Nor does she even speak a second language i bet

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2014, 10:25 PM   #29

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
如果我在這裡寫中文呢? 有人理嗎?
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-16-2014, 10:29 PM   #30

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
I remember in grade school the supervision aide would command us to speak English
what a miserable witch
if you aren't in the group or i'm not speaking directly at you why the fuck does it matter...as long as i'm not yelling/cursing
if the teachers say "ENGLISH ONLY", this i can understand simply because they're responsible for the kids in their class, they might be planning some dangerous prank or about to do something jeopardizing their safety.... like "let's go to that white van marked 'free candy' after school" the teacher's gotta know

also robs the teacher of authority if they don't know everything going on in their classroom
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2014, 10:38 PM   #31
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafanculo View Post
I think this is a tad too much. I'm fine with the larger portion being in Chinese, but they should still have English on there as well. If not for simply being out of respect, but just so non Chinese know what it means. For all I know it could be spreading propaganda against Canada.

Plus, things start with baby steps. First one sign, then 2, eventually it's the norm. This is Canada not (insert non Canadian country).
Posted via RS Mobile
Exactly this. It's a slippery slope, once we "let" a few Chinese-only ads run, it'll be only a matter of time before an area like Richmond caters exclusively to Chinese. Remember what Richmond was like 10, 15 years ago? Very very different from how it is now.

& FWIW Kerry Starchuk sounds racist as fuck, it's funny how being Caucasian essentially voids your right to voice your opinion in some cases. Whereas if I were to utter the same complaint people would (likely) applaud me for choosing to assimilate and join the greater Canadian culture
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2014, 10:49 PM   #32
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiiipi View Post
Keep in mind, companie are allowed to discriminate to target their customer or employee as long as it does not violate the charter of rights, while some may argue having a Chinese only sign is a discrimination based on race (not allowed in the charter or rights), it is actually a discrimination based on language.

For example, a Chinese restaurant may post an ad saying "hiring, mandarin speaking required", but they may not say "hiring, chinese people only" Because the ability to speak mandarin does not mean you are Chinese.

So in the case of advertisement, having a Chinese only sign, is targeting Chinese reading customers, I myself is Chinese however I would not fit into the targeted marketing because I do not read Chinese, and likely will converse in English when visiting a business. However, if a caucasian customer can read Chinese, then the Ad would be targeting the as well.
From a Caucasian male living in Richmond for 25 years i couldn't have said it better myself.
Posted via RS Mobile
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:50 PM   #33
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
The context of the ad needs to be considered. They are promoting a service that is specifically designed for Chinese speaking people. So why not advertise in Chinese? Another example is say you're a company and you want to advertise to Indian people that you have Punjabi-speaking staff who can help you. Then of course it makes sense to advertise this message in Punjabi. That's why ethnic media exists like REDFM, OMNI TV, and Fairchild Radio, Sing Tao, etc...

I personally believe this is different when you hear about businesses that have signage in Chinese only. Or a restaurant doesn't have English menus. It sends a message that says if you don't speak Mandarin or Cantonese, you are not welcome in my business. I can see how some Canadians might be upset about that. The easy solution is bilingual signage.

Advertising in a certain language is not the same. What if you were in China and wanted to specifically sell a product or service to English speaking people, would you pay to advertise in Mandarin or English? English of course.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2014, 11:46 PM   #34
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PARANOiA-R34 View Post
Exactly this. It's a slippery slope, once we "let" a few Chinese-only ads run, it'll be only a matter of time before an area like Richmond caters exclusively to Chinese. Remember what Richmond was like 10, 15 years ago? Very very different from how it is now.

https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-r...CSD&GC=5915015

49.4% of Richmond speak English at home. Businesses are not going to stop serving 49.4% of the market. If that number changes the market will follow accordingly.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:17 AM   #35
Banned (ABWS)

To settle this dispute once and for all, ads shall be neither in English, French, nor Chinese, but in the mother tongue of the first nations. Thereby avoiding the "I was here first" argument and so that no one understands the ads except for the non-existent first nations in Richmond.
twdm is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2014, 01:51 AM   #36
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twdm View Post
To settle this dispute once and for all, ads shall be neither in English, French, nor Chinese, but in the mother tongue of the first nations. Thereby avoiding the "I was here first" argument and so that no one understands the ads except for the non-existent first nations in Richmond.
LOL.
Posted via RS Mobile
Xu.Vi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:27 AM   #37
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafanculo View Post
I think this is a tad too much. I'm fine with the larger portion being in Chinese, but they should still have English on there as well. If not for simply being out of respect, but just so non Chinese know what it means. For all I know it could be spreading propaganda against Canada.

Plus, things start with baby steps. First one sign, then 2, eventually it's the norm. This is Canada not (insert non Canadian country).
Posted via RS Mobile

I'm Chinese and I can't read this either but I don't see a problem with this. The ad placement was paid for by the business that put the ad there, so they can put whatever they want on it as long as it's not obscene or not suitable for a public place. Putting ads in all chinese is a smart advertising move because it targets their clientele which looks to be, chinese. I see ads in China and other foreign countries that's english only but I don't hear people complaining about not understanding it. IMO somethings should be regulated when out of hand, this however is not a problem in my eyes. So according to these protestors, should all signs in Canada be in every single language in the world, since there are canadians that were originally from every nation in the world?

On the other hand, it's a stupid advertising move and waste of money to put that ad at a bus stop. Since no chinese mainlander that's into gambling would ever take the bus...

Last edited by J____; 03-17-2014 at 02:35 AM.
J____ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:07 AM   #38
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
i see why there is concern about it. .the more socially acceptable the more often it will happen and before you know it large communities wont be "bilingual" they will be only accepting of certain races..

i dont think the "its their ad they can do what they want" thing flies here.. it their ad in a PUBLIC setting so it needs to be respectful to the public.

if i cant say Merry Christmas cuz some immigrants dont feel its accepting as they move into this country i dont think i should be able to walk past an ad i cant understand.

before i go off on the subject ill just make it simple. this is canada. the main language is English and if you dont wanna learn is then you shouldnt be here. i would not move to china (or any other country) unless i was planning to accept the culture and learn the language if i planned to build a life there.
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2014, 10:11 AM   #39

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Step 1: Learn Chinese
Step 2: Tell them to fuck off (In Chinese ) when they do things like this.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2014, 11:07 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by snails View Post

if i cant say Merry Christmas cuz some immigrants dont feel its accepting as they move into this country i dont think i should be able to walk past an ad i cant understand.
That's B.S. no immigrant is telling you to stop saying Merry Christmas. The only people bringing it up are white people, manly atheists and republicans. Immigrants don't care except for the overtime they will be getting.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:09 AM   #41
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
i seriously doubt china would give a fuck about ads in english if it was posted there....

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:24 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
That's B.S. no immigrant is telling you to stop saying Merry Christmas. The only people bringing it up are white people, manly atheists and republicans. Immigrants don't care except for the overtime they will be getting.

quite the assumption, but ive actually heard it on the news and radio talk shows where callers say its unacceptable because they are Muslim (for example)and its not welcoming because Christmas is Christian. why even argue about it. the world is heading toward a more politically correct place and more multiculturl. i think if you go somewhere you should adapt to their language at the very least and not seclude yourself off
Old 03-17-2014, 11:32 AM   #43
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J____ View Post
I'm Chinese and I can't read this either but I don't see a problem with this. The ad placement was paid for by the business that put the ad there, so they can put whatever they want on it as long as it's not obscene or not suitable for a public place. Putting ads in all chinese is a smart advertising move because it targets their clientele which looks to be, chinese. I see ads in China and other foreign countries that's english only but I don't hear people complaining about not understanding it. IMO somethings should be regulated when out of hand, this however is not a problem in my eyes. So according to these protestors, should all signs in Canada be in every single language in the world, since there are canadians that were originally from every nation in the world?

On the other hand, it's a stupid advertising move and waste of money to put that ad at a bus stop. Since no chinese mainlander that's into gambling would ever take the bus...
I'm not upset at the ad, but more at people that approved it. I love living in Richmond, it's great. It's funny how people say Canada is multicultural. However, Richmond to me is starting to feel like the Quebec of Canada.

North Vancouver has a huge Persian culture. Burnaby has Italians. Coquitlqm has Koreans. All those districts however have the same feel. Like you are in Canada but at the same time embracing different cultures. Living in Richmond on the other hand, I feel I can probably move to HK and feel at home.

Richmond is losing that Canadian "multicultural" feeling that Canada so proudly boasts. Its now become directed at one culture only.

Now this isn't coming from just an Italian guy living in richmond. My wife is flip and it bothers her way more than me. Its cool that richmond has lots of Chinese. Being Canada and all, you can live anywhere you want..but at least embrace multiculturalism and realize you aren't living in China.

(Typed on a phone so it probably reads a bit sloppy)
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2014, 11:46 AM   #44

Quote:
quite the assumption, but ive actually heard it on the news and radio talk shows where callers say its unacceptable because they are Muslim (for example)and its not welcoming because Christmas is Christian. why even argue about it. the world is heading toward a more politically correct place and more multiculturl. i think if you go somewhere you should adapt to their language at the very least and not seclude yourself off

Just because a person is a Muslim does not make them an immigrant. Also do you know the ethnicity of the caller for all I know it could have been some white convert. Again I state this is a white people problem, I'm not assuming just watch the news.

Atheist victory in California as surf city loses its nativity display | World news | The Observer

Lynch v. Donnelly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_controversy
Old 03-17-2014, 11:49 AM   #45
Jet
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Someone should create a billboard ad with all 0 and 1's that spells out that they're recruiting a programmer or some such person. Or something that's so completely techno babble that no one but a hardcore computer person would understand.

Wonder what she'd think about that.
That reminds me of that time EA put a billboard ad right in front of Radical a few years back ...

Old 03-17-2014, 11:52 AM   #46
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiuYi View Post
if the teachers say "ENGLISH ONLY", this i can understand simply because they're responsible for the kids in their class, they might be planning some dangerous prank or about to do something jeopardizing their safety.... like "let's go to that white van marked 'free candy' after school" the teacher's gotta know

also robs the teacher of authority if they don't know everything going on in their classroom
it was during the break in the school yard...not in a classroom setting
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:13 PM   #47
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
public transit ?
Old 03-17-2014, 12:26 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Just because a person is a Muslim does not make them an immigrant. Also do you know the ethnicity of the caller for all I know it could have been some white convert. Again I state this is a white people problem, I'm not assuming just watch the news.

Atheist victory in California as surf city loses its nativity display | World news | The Observer

Lynch v. Donnelly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Christmas controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
well you could hear the accent in their conversation, lets not derail the thread over this. my point stands. this is canada. english speaking canada and entire cities should not be unwelcoming to other canadians. if they are that hard pressed on richmond being china then maybe they should go back to china, if they want the life here so bad then they need to adapt. i know what im saying is very exaggerated but it all starts somewhere. it should not be socially acceptable because before you know it there will be more and more examples of things like this until its actually a problem
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-17-2014, 01:20 PM   #49

Quote:
well you could hear the accent in their conversation, lets not derail the thread over this. my point stands. this is canada. english speaking canada and entire cities should not be unwelcoming to other canadians. if they are that hard pressed on richmond being china then maybe they should go back to china, if they want the life here so bad then they need to adapt. i know what im saying is very exaggerated but it all starts somewhere. it should not be socially acceptable because before you know it there will be more and more examples of things like this until its actually a problem
So you are basing this on one person who called a radio show. It's a free country I can talk and advertise in any language I want. You tell if ever in history when a bunch of white people have gone to a another country and tried to force to local population to learn English and become Christian. That's never happened.

Your just buthurt it's happening and not the other way around.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:24 PM   #50

i dont live in richmond and have no reason to go there so this dosnt effect my life at all. and i also dont live in other parts of the world, but if i did and i planned to have my life there i would sure as hell adapt to their language and cultures. other wise i should gtfo. kinda like going to someones house.

and if you wanna talk about "free speech" there is lots of stuff that is legal but is socially unacceptable. segregating communities should be unacceptable.