REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:29 PM   #51
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
and to address your last comment, lets say white people did.. i mean history knows they havnt been outstanding in the past or other pats of the world but we are talking about canada.. u know, where 99% of RS's live, this has little to do with actual ethnicity or religion in general. its about respect. and this only being a drop in the bucket for now. but like i said before. the more acceptable this becomes the more often it will happen until its an actual issue.
Advertisement
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:45 PM   #52
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snails View Post
and to address your last comment, lets say white people did.. i mean history knows they havnt been outstanding in the past or other pats of the world but we are talking about canada.. u know, where 99% of RS's live, this has little to do with actual ethnicity or religion in general. its about respect. and this only being a drop in the bucket for now. but like i said before. the more acceptable this becomes the more often it will happen until its an actual issue.
Thank you......... 1001 times.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2014, 01:50 PM   #53
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
i dont live in richmond and have no reason to go there so this dosnt effect my life at all. and i also dont live in other parts of the world, but if i did and i planned to have my life there i would sure as hell adapt to their language and cultures. other wise i should gtfo. kinda like going to someones house.
YA right you would. History has proven otherwise. White people go to a Country then try to make it like the country they left. Just look at the name of our province.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:52 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
YA right you would. History has proven otherwise. White people go to a Country then try to make it like the country they left. Just look at the name of our province.
cuz you know.. i was born in 1991 and i had anything to do with any of that hahah man just stop

i dont chain up black people or throw bombs at japan incase you were wondering..
Old 03-17-2014, 01:55 PM   #55

Quote:
cuz you know.. i was born in 1991 and i had anything to do with any of that hahah man just stop

i dont chain up black people or throw bombs at japan incase you were wondering..
And guess what things change. What's next your going to be upset the guy on the radio is not speaking English or French or that the free news paper is in a language you don't understand?
Old 03-17-2014, 02:00 PM   #56

Quote:
And guess what things change. What's next your going to be upset the guy on the radio is not speaking English or French or that the free news paper is in a language you don't understand?
there we go, now you are getting it! that will be a problem then! i mean unless it was a language or channel or paper designated to that language and not a whole fucking city haha

see, i can change a channel, i can change a radio station.. or maybe pick up a different news paper. but i shouldnt have to avoid a whole city.. if i wanted to go to china.. i would go to china. not richmond.. starting to see my point? richmond should stay multicultural. hell any city can. but you dont segregate it
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2014, 02:09 PM   #57
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
i dont live in richmond and have no reason to go there so this dosnt effect my life at all. and i also dont live in other parts of the world, but if i did and i planned to have my life there i would sure as hell adapt to their language and cultures. other wise i should gtfo. kinda like going to someones house.

and if you wanna talk about "free speech" there is lots of stuff that is legal but is socially unacceptable. segregating communities should be unacceptable.
There are more pressing issues to deal with such as poverty and drug addiction. Whether or not your feelings are hurt because you cannot read a sign is at the bottom of the list.

Also, should asian newspapers such as Ming Pao be writing all their articles in English so you can learn about Hong Kong celebrity gossip? Should they print all their advertisements in english as well?

Last edited by twdm; 03-17-2014 at 02:14 PM.
twdm is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-17-2014, 02:11 PM   #58

Quote:
there we go, now you are getting it! that will be a problem then! i mean unless it was a language or channel or paper designated to that language and not a whole fucking city haha

see, i can change a channel, i can change a radio station.. or maybe pick up a different news paper. but i shouldnt have to avoid a whole city.. if i wanted to go to china.. i would go to china. not richmond.. starting to see my point? richmond should stay multicultural. hell any city can. but you dont segregate it
Do you read every single ad? If you don't like it turn your head. Every ad does not have to be about you. You get upset when you see a ad about tampons?
Old 03-17-2014, 02:15 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by twdm View Post
There are more pressing issues to deal with such as poverty and drug addiction. Whether or not your feelings are hurt because you cannot read a sign is at the bottom of the list.

Also, should asian newspapers such as Ming Pao be writing all their articles in English? Should they print all their advertisements in english as well so you can learn about Hong Kong celebrity gossip?
you can read, but clearly have a hard time understanding. i dont care, this isnt an issue i have to face. im saying long term if this is found acceptable then communities will become segregated to certain ethnicities. the complete opposite of what Canada is about.

ps i can use google if im curious about some hong kong gossip. thanks for the concern though!

and there are more pressing issues for others to deal with, but thats not what this thread is for so maybe you are confused
Old 03-17-2014, 02:16 PM   #60

Quote:
Do you read every single ad? If you don't like it turn your head. Every ad does not have to be about you. You get upset when you see a ad about tampons?
if every ad in richmond was about tampons im sure it would be an issue. same if more ads start popping up that wernt english to the point that it was majority.

see.. what your saying isnt proving anything

anyways i made my point, no reason to repeat it now
Old 03-17-2014, 02:19 PM   #61
My homepage has been set to RS

stuff like this just encourages people not to learn english and not to assimilate. i for 1 am glad that citizen ship exams can only be taken in english/french.
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-17-2014, 02:25 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool001 View Post
stuff like this just encourages people not to learn english and not to assimilate. i for 1 am glad that citizen ship exams can only be taken in english/french.
You thing your grandma could learn a foreign language right now? The people who immigrate here might not learn English but guess what their kids will.

Last edited by Manic!; 03-17-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Manic! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:28 PM   #63

Quote:
You thing your grandma could learn a foreign language right now? The people who immigrate here might not learn English but guess what there kids will.
i guess , my grandma can never become a Canadian citizen .
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2014, 02:32 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool001 View Post
i guess , my grandma can never become a Canadian citizen .
So she was a Grandma when she came to Canada?
Old 03-17-2014, 02:34 PM   #65

im being hypothetical, all my family members can speak/read English including my grandma
Old 03-17-2014, 03:18 PM   #66
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
I can understand maybe an 80 year old granny not giving a fuck about learning to speak the language, but anyone else should really stop being lazy and get on it. My grandparents both moved here in their 40's and learned to speak, read, and write the language while working full time as well so it's not some impossible task if you're willing to learn. I guess being Dutch and not having a whole city that catered to their culture helped the urge to want to learn.
Posted via RS Mobile
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2014, 06:03 PM   #67
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Quote:
Bigot.

As if white people are the only ones who have ever desired to conquer territory, that is a human trait that crosses racial boundaries. I don't understand how people can bundle a modern demographic with the imperialists of yesteryear and figure that they have the same intentions.

Last edited by Yodamaster; 03-17-2014 at 06:10 PM.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:44 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodamaster View Post
Bigot.

As if white people are the only ones who have ever desired to conquer territory, that is a human trait that crosses racial boundaries. I don't understand how people can bundle a modern demographic with the imperialists of yesteryear and figure that they have the same intentions.
It's still happening even in Canada. I still get Christians trying to convert me. Now instead of just having brochures and magazines in English they have them in every language including Punjabi. Now who's upset that it's not in English or French. At the end of the day who cares what an ad is in. Know one reads ads anyways.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:59 PM   #69
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Quote:
It's still happening even in Canada. I still get Christians trying to convert me. Now instead of just having brochures and magazines in English they have them in every language including Punjabi. Now who's upset that it's not in English or French. At the end of the day who cares what an ad is in. Know one reads ads anyways.
What if it told you that one religion did not represent an entire race?
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:39 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodamaster View Post
What if it told you that one religion did not represent an entire race?
Neither does language.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:03 PM   #71
$_$
I subscribe to Revscene

I think it all boils down to respect and acceptance. It's not the fact that businesses shouldn't be allowed to post signs in whatever language they choose, but that they are choosing to segregate and isolate a large portion of the population who speak only English. I was one of the stronger proponents in the last thread about businesses being able to have signs in whatever language they wanted, but after speaking to a lot of people about this issue I have a slightly different angle on it.

Everybody likes to feel included, and everybody wants to feel welcomed. But if you were someone that doesn't speak Chinese walking in Richmond sometimes you just feel like you were somewhere completely different. Maybe the service wasn't targeted at you, but everybody likes to know whats going on. A single small tag line in English wouldn't have hurt or changed the context of the advertisement at all, and a simple gesture like that would have made people understand what the ad was about and still convey that the service is probably not for them, instead of feeling confused and probably a little frustrated. Gotta keep in mind this isn't some sort of restaurant sign or a menu, but an ad space that's right beside public transport.

Being second or third generation immigrants we should know better than that.. All throughout school we were taught to respect the culture of the immigration population. I think it's not too much to ask to show the local culture a little respect.
$_$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:28 PM   #72
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Holy shit what is going on in this thread. You guys are way off topic. Try and compare these two scenarios.

1. As a white man i walk into a restaurant at lunch time in richmond. All the menus are in mandarin and none of the waiting staff speak English. I try my best but eventually have to leave because i am unable to order my food.

2. An ad is placed in public view aimed at new immigrants from Asia, published by a charitable company. It's focus is aimed at helping with the many problems that a new immigrant may face (such as gambling addiction?). It is written in their native script due to the fact they are newly landed immigrants. But it is placed in a public area where many different races of people walk by everyday.

ONE of those scenarios is what some people in this thread is calling segregation and an unwillingness to assimilate or become 'more canadian'. The fact is lots of immigrants that come to Canada from ALL OVER THE WORLD have no interest in assimilating, nor being a true Canadian. That's fine by me. Be friendly, abide by our laws and pay taxes. Done and done. But do not segregate yourself from Canadian society and build a shelter for yourself that makes it impossible for me to order lunch in a public restaurant in my own country.

The other scenario is a well placed and well aimed ad that is meant to help people who may be in need. It is possible that this was the most effective way to reach their clientele. They are not trying to sell me the latest cell phone or get me to invest in housing development. If you guys have such a hard time dealing with the lack of English on this signage, I URGE YOU to go visit Quebec and see how they live over there. It's far worse than Richmond is for being English unfriendly.

Anyways. My point is perhaps this should be seen as a case by case basis. They have lots of gambling commercials and radio ads and printed full colour pictures of "know your limits, play within it". But guess what, white folks ain't the only people that gamble.
Posted via RS Mobile
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2014, 09:20 PM   #73

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
^
im chinese & i lived in richmond since 94, i cant read chinese (i can barely even do english sometimes) yet i manage to order food very very well with english no problem in chinese restaurants (yes i can speak cantonese & mandarin)

if i go to a bbt place i would use mandarin as i always know what i want (for 25years i still order the same drink everytime), but everywhere else i sometimes use english just cuz i get confuse/mix with chinese translation in my mind (like dim sum, i know what i want in chinese but i cant read chinese & when i read the english it just doesnt sound right at all)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:38 PM   #74
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Yes, I do realize as i have lived in Richmond since always! I was just using it as an example, it was a fictional possible situation.

If you want a real situation, for a few years my friends and i would hit up #9 late at night. Even though the menus were printed in English* the wait staff had a very difficult time serving us. In a full restaurant there was one younger man who served and spoke English and he usually helped us. On about 3+ occasions we were seated, given tea, and then left alone. At 3am in a fairly empty restaurant it would take 30+ minutes for us to finally get a server over to us to slowly take our orders, usually incorrectly. We would watch Asian groups be seated and orders taken and given food while everyone else avoided our tables like the plague. And no we weren't young punks coming back from the clubs. More like hanging out playing video games and not wanting McDonald's at 3am.

*broken English being "gilled cheese sanwich" and my personal choice, "honey garlic rib all time favourite"
Posted via RS Mobile
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:08 PM   #75

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
lol at 3am & sober, i would not even walk in to no.9 for anything period

that place is just horrible period

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote