REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:23 PM   #126
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 1,909 Times in 772 Posts
I don't get the mentality of teachers.

They are requesting 13% increase over 3 years because they feel they work more (lesson prep, committee participation etc). The last time I checked each and every teacher CHOSE the profession for a variety of reasons:

- the pension
- the benefits
- 2 months off in the summer
- reasonable job security
- best job available with an arts degree

Notice how 'for the kids' is not a part of it? Don't believe me? Ask any of your teacher friends or English or History majors what they plan to do after UBC and they will say "teacher". Ask them why?and if the first answer isn't listed above.. well then you have proved me wrong.. congratulations!

I highly doubt any of these teachers did it "for the kids". Lets cut the bullshit... seriously.

If you really care "for the kids" and want to keep up with cost of living ask for a 2-3% raise each year. Yes the governments are fucktards for not giving a cost of living adjustment for the past X years. However, my point is, Christy Clarke nor Mr. Campbell forced you into the profession, each and every teacher chose it on their own. As such they must live with what the job entails.

Example, I'm an accountant - I chose it for my own reasons but I also knew going in that if I end up in public practice I'll have no time for anyone from Jan - June. If I end up in industry, I'll probably be management so no OT. I will still have the same deadlines that I'll need to meet. If I don't like the inherent characteristics of my profession, I can chose to leave and become a burger flipper or electrician.

Same goes for the teachers. If you don't like the inherent characteristics of being a teacher, chose another profession- but oh wait the benefits and pension are too good. Anyone in HR will know this is called "Golden Handcuffs"...

I also wonder, some teachers complain about budget cuts and so on, but they have the tenacity to ask for 14% raise. WTF? I guess they didn't teach math in that arts program..
Advertisement

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:36 PM   #127
My homepage has been set to RS

So which one is it? I see a bunch of numbers being thrown around from 13% over 3, 10.75% over 4, and 15% over 3. Maybe we should get our facts straight before putting out an argument.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:39 PM   #128
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

^ it's called collective bargaining, they ask for 13% over 3, the government is offering 7.25% over 6.

They both know they have to meet in the middle, right now it's determining that middle ground.

Like I said in an earlier post, something like 1.5-2% a year for next 6 years and I'm sure there will be a deal.

and this shouldn't be a race to the bottom, that's how the corporate world mentality is becoming these days, everybody is working longer hours for less pay. and if you complain it's "if you dont do it, someone else will". it's already becoming like that for most CAs/ CPAs.

as time progress, the rate that incomes rise will be less than inflation, and we are working long hours, so effectively our real wage is lower.

as you get older, you see why and how unions form and get their powers, because without them, it is a race to the bottom. it's unfortunate because I hate the union mentality, just as I hate the corporate mentality.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:19 PM   #129

^ I am familiar with bargaining. The reason I posted that above was because they BCTF is not asking for 13% hoping for 10.75% It's all the Premier's fault - so says the BCTF about disruptions to schools | (CKNW AM) AM980. They are actively asking for 10.75% over 4 years which means the 13% over 3 years is outdated information.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2014, 12:17 AM   #130
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,179 Times in 2,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iEatClams View Post
as you get older, you see why and how unions form and get their powers, because without them, it is a race to the bottom. it's unfortunate because I hate the union mentality, just as I hate the corporate mentality.
Again I disagree about this "race to the bottom".

Like everything else in life the price of an employee to a company is determined by supply and demand. Like it or not employees are just a commodity to every company, they may smear family and all that bullshit in your face, but at the end of the day its just smoke and mirrors.

As the need for a particular type of employee goes up, the price employers are willing to pay for a person of that skill set will also go up. We see this happening in the trades industry right now.

As the need for a certain type of worker goes down, the price a company is willing to pay in salary to that employee will also go down.

Now the example for that second one is a little complex, part of it is because I rather not offend people, the other part is due to the fact that in our current day and age there are a lot of factors influencing this "market" price.

#1 - Decline of workers, with the baby boomers retiring and the decline in the general working force, demand is going up for workers, especially skilled ones.

#2 - The demand caused by number 1 is unequal, the baby boomers did a solid job of spreading the workforce across all different types of necessary workers. Whereas today there is a lot of white collar 9-5, bachelors degree type people being churned out all across the country.

So what we are seeing is, in some industries the price for workers is greatly increasing while, in other industries it is remaining stagnant because the number of people available to occupy that job is high. Hence why it is so difficult to break into some professions (I.e. Teaching).

Going back to your "race to the bottom" idealism, realistically unless you want to try and promote communism, you must realize that this world will always have winners and losers. There will always be a 1% and a 99%. The goal for everyone should be to make it to the 1%. Now I understand some people have different priorities and becoming part of the 1% falls far down on the list, for that debate I will spoiler my thoughts below, as it does not necessarily apply to the teachers situation.

This notion of 1% and 99% does not apply whatsoever to teaching as the teachers have more or less chosen ahead of time to be part of that 99%. Might sound harsh, but I mean come on, nobody goes into teaching thinking they are going to be making millions.

The teachers rely on the need for their services and the taxes paid by everyone else to dictate their salary. They rely on their collective power to bargain a better deal for themselves but at the end of the day the base price of their salary is still determined by that "market" price. They might be able to influence it a few percentage here and there, but by and large it will be a locked within a few points to that "market" price.

I hope this kind of makes sense on how I see it. It's late and I just finished working, so my mind is wandering a bunch thinking about this.

Spoiler!

TL;DR - Salaries are all about supply and demand. Want to be a teacher? You will make mediocre money. Want to make good money? Go be a dumb fucking tradesperson, so few people want to do it that you will be rich in no time...

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2014, 01:01 AM   #131
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,550 Times in 1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
I don't get the mentality of teachers.

They are requesting 13% increase over 3 years because they feel they work more (lesson prep, committee participation etc). The last time I checked each and every teacher CHOSE the profession for a variety of reasons:

- the pension
- the benefits
- 2 months off in the summer
- reasonable job security
- best job available with an arts degree

Notice how 'for the kids' is not a part of it? Don't believe me? Ask any of your teacher friends or English or History majors what they plan to do after UBC and they will say "teacher". Ask them why?and if the first answer isn't listed above.. well then you have proved me wrong.. congratulations!

I highly doubt any of these teachers did it "for the kids". Lets cut the bullshit... seriously.

If you really care "for the kids" and want to keep up with cost of living ask for a 2-3% raise each year. Yes the governments are fucktards for not giving a cost of living adjustment for the past X years. However, my point is, Christy Clarke nor Mr. Campbell forced you into the profession, each and every teacher chose it on their own. As such they must live with what the job entails.

Example, I'm an accountant - I chose it for my own reasons but I also knew going in that if I end up in public practice I'll have no time for anyone from Jan - June. If I end up in industry, I'll probably be management so no OT. I will still have the same deadlines that I'll need to meet. If I don't like the inherent characteristics of my profession, I can chose to leave and become a burger flipper or electrician.

Same goes for the teachers. If you don't like the inherent characteristics of being a teacher, chose another profession- but oh wait the benefits and pension are too good. Anyone in HR will know this is called "Golden Handcuffs"...

I also wonder, some teachers complain about budget cuts and so on, but they have the tenacity to ask for 14% raise. WTF? I guess they didn't teach math in that arts program..
Teachers are complaining about their wage?

Although they're not making Corporate Executive territory, I don't find it miserably low either.
Their salaries range from $43,790 to $81,489...and don't forget all the benefits mentioned above.

Teaching Salaries in BC's Metro Region | Make a Future

Step Cat 4 Cat 5 Cat 6/PA Cat 6/M
0 $43,790 $48,083 $52,019 $52,823
1 $45,981 $50,494 $54,663 $55,467
2 $48,172 $52,904 $57,307 $58,111
3 $50,363 $55,315 $59,950 $60,754
4 $52,554 $57,725 $62,594 $63,398
5 $54,745 $60,135 $65,237 $66,041
6 $56,935 $62,546 $67,881 $68,685
7 $59,126 $64,956 $70,525 $71,328
8 $61,317 $67,367 $73,168 $73,972
9 $65,414 $69,777 $75,812 $76,616
10 N/A $74,353 $80,417 $81,489
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:20 AM   #132
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I think the flaw in the argument from the BCTF side is that the issue at the beginning was class sizes (smaller class size = more teachers, which is what the union ultimately wants) and now it's also wage/salary increases. The last CBA with the BC Nurses had a 3% wage increase and I can't see the BCTF getting much more than that.

From a funding side, there's no way to really have both at the moment, without increasing sales tax or income tax. I'm all for raising taxes to fund education, but it seems the majority of the public wouldn't want that.

What is the average class size these days? Is it 25, 27 or 30? The BCTF would have you believe that class size is the issue, so that they can raise membership numbers. However the real issue is class composition, with more children with learning disabilities or other special needs being taught in the same classroom. I think the biggest impact would be additional funding towards support teachers and assistants for children with special needs.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:40 AM   #133
WOAH...shut the music off...

Thanked 4,708 Times in 1,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDTurboLuvr View Post
The last CBA with the BC Nurses had a 3% wage increase and I can't see the BCTF getting much more than that.
just curious - i remember the nurses wanted more staff as hospitals were understaffed as well, did they get that in the end?

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
Quote:
[04-06, 11:34]radiomanI'm doing happy hour with bj#3 today
[07-04, 10:27]radiomani need just the tip
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:40 AM   #134
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 2,048 Times in 812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
just curious - i remember the nurses wanted more staff as hospitals were understaffed as well, did they get that in the end?
If they didn't they should have. Every nurse I know racks it in with overtime!
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2014, 08:51 AM   #135
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
They did end up with more staff and the required hours went up to 37.5 hours a week.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:05 AM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
haha i was thinking more of the lines that not enough nurses on the floor eg. certain patients requiring 1 to 1 care but due to lack of nurses on the shift you'd see 1 to 2 or more care.

Quote:
Greenstoner
Quote:

Old 05-28-2014, 10:43 AM   #137
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

I totally agree with you that if there is a special needs child, having an assistance or support teacher looking after him/her will alleviate the teacher from being bogged down by that student. I would think class size and class composition goes hand-in-hand.

Having to deal with a special needs child almost takes exponentially amount of time. However, as for class size, I can see the argument for both sides. As an example, a class of 40 well behave kids, while very high and probably not ideal, may be fine but as a class of 20 dumbfucks or even 10 dumbfucks would be much to handle. Given no one knows how kids behave, they would need to make an average assumption. What that class limit should be is is probably arguable for both sides.

I want to mention that often times we tend to discard issues that do not directly affect us. I mean, like a special needs child. Unless you have a specially needs child, this issue is hard to understand for most people. Another example is peanut butter allergy. It is a huge issue for parents who have kids with this issue as the worse case is death. But to some parents whose child doesn't have this issue, they don't care or do think about other children who does. Their thinking is, well, my child is not allergic to peanut butter, so why shouldn't my child eat peanut butter? If everyone is more open minded and if their children doesn't have any issues, just be glad but not everyone is so lucky. People just need to put themselves in others shoes sometimes and think, and be less selfish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDTurboLuvr View Post

What is the average class size these days? Is it 25, 27 or 30? The BCTF would have you believe that class size is the issue, so that they can raise membership numbers. However the real issue is class composition, with more children with learning disabilities or other special needs being taught in the same classroom. I think the biggest impact would be additional funding towards support teachers and assistants for children with special needs.
Vulgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:30 AM   #138
I am grateful grapefruit

it's the 10/90 rule. 10% of your kids take up 90% of your time.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:23 PM   #139
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I was driving westbound on Hastings street in Burnaby this morning and saw teachers on strike. I got to thinking... How much sympathy/support do teachers expect by waving to people who are on their way to work. It's almost insulting. Especially when are fair percentage of the people they are waving to, in hopes of support, are heading to a job that does not include the salary, benefits or summer options that teachers are entitled to.

Last few strikes (cause they happen so often) there were plenty of honks of support. I did not hear a single honk of support as I drove by. I guess everybody had to get to work.

It doesn't matter what side you are on. The media loves a good strike or job action to divide the people.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:59 PM   #140
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,351 Times in 1,031 Posts
Came across this great read:

Dear Parent Of The Average Child: One B.C. Teacher's Confession | Genevieve Hawtree

and from chatting with the few elementary / high school teacher friends that I have, the general impression I got is that the recounts in the article are quite true, although at different grades, the problems / mini crisis the teacher faces are naturally somewhat different.

Before anyone jumps in to say that we all face difficulties and challenges in our own jobs on a daily basis, and how the teacher isn't the only one struggling in their profession, I want to bring up this cliche one more time -- as good or as bad as they may be, our children today are our future tomorrow, and that makes our public education system the backbone of our future. Can we really afford to allow it (our public education) to fester due to insufficient funding? (Notice how I said funding, not necessarily teachers' salaries.) As any loving and responsible parent will probably tell you, they would 110% be willing to sacrifice their own needs to fulfill the needs of their own children. As a whole, why is the province unwilling to channel more resources into our children and the public education system when we are giving pay raises to politicians, crown corp senior and middle management, already wealthy corp and the like?
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:16 PM   #141

Thanked 1,076 Times in 386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
As a whole, why is the province unwilling to channel more resources into our children and the public education system when we are giving pay raises to politicians, crown corp senior and middle management, already wealthy corp and the like?
because investing in children does not make them money presently
dachinesedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:54 PM   #142

Seriously fuck all those striking bitches. Seriously makes my blood boil driving by schools and seeing them sitting on their lazy asses with signs around their neck. IF they really cared about students they wouldn't use them as pawns in a game that everyone ends up losing. It's the same shit over and over again every time they go to the bargaining table. I want the Govn't to full on say screw you to them so they don't feel they can do this every time they want a raise. When the Govn't gives in, it's reinforcing the fact they know they can always get what they want (or close). Teachers deserve a raise, that I agree with. But what they are asking for is ridiculous and not on par with other public sector employees.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-29-2014, 06:45 PM   #143
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 1,909 Times in 772 Posts
rather interesting comment from a teacher... I wonder how many feel this way but have to stand in support for something they dont want to participate because of union solidarity..
--

All good issues.
The (my) BCTF needs to take salary off the table, go on strike on ONE issue being class size/composition. When the government legislates the teachers back to work, stay on strike until the ONE issue is fixed. Teachers: we get paid well. Get over it. Our issue should be the students in our classrooms. Parents and students need to take a break as well. The tied for first cause of grief a teacher faces today is the shite attitude of many students and MANY MORE parents.

Malcolm Chrystal
Teacher since 1992.
Currently TOC in SD37

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-04-2014, 06:32 AM   #144
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,410 Times in 2,053 Posts
Meant to post this earlier, but oh well.

Quote:
What started as an idea by a couple of Vancouver teens has spread to Kamloops — and it could see students walking out of school on Wednesday, June 4.

Students at Valleyview and NorKam secondaries have signed onto a Facebook page created to promote the walkout.

On the page, Victoria Barker and Mackenzie Timko of Vancouver write that many students have experienced the labour disputes between teachers and the provincial government “for our entire schooling.

“For some of us, that means our entire 13 years of education.

“The two sides are like parents who are divorcing and have stuck their children in the middle for the last 13 years.”

The pair has asked students to walk out on Wednesday at 9 a.m. and carry signs that speak from the student’s perspective and not the B.C. Teachers’ Federation or the B.C. Public School Employers’ Association (BCPSEA).

Jason Karpuk, president of the Kamloops Thompson Teachers’ Association (KTTA), said he’s heard rumours of the walkout, but hopes students don’t do it.

“This is between the teachers and the government and I don’t think they [students] should take more time from instruction,” he said.

Karpuk encouraged students who support teachers to join them as the second week of rotating strikes hits Kamloops on Thursday, June 5.

For students who do not support the teachers’ stance, Karpuk urged them to visit picket lines and discuss issues with teachers.

Kamloops-Thompson school district Supt. Terry Sullivan agreed with Karpuk in encouraging students to not walk out.

He said parents will receive a phone call from the district asking them to speak to their children about not leaving school.

Sullivan said this is particularly important for students preparing to write provincial exams or doing other assessments.

Sullivan said the automated phone message worked well last week when he sent out an update to parents.

Meanwhile, Karpuk said he planned to speak with South Kamloops secondary student Rylee Elfert, who has started a petition demanding teachers be allowed to attend the school’s graduation ceremonies.

Karpuk said the BCTF has told teachers they can attend as observers, but not as participants.

The BCPSEA maintains teachers can take part in graduations and Sullivan said he cannot see why they wouldn’t also be allowed at graduation banquets, which are not school functions, but organized by parents.

Elfert said by noon on Monday, June 2, more than 150 of South Kam’s 260 graduating students had signed her petition.

She said graduation “isn’t just for students, it’s for teachers, too,” noting students are unhappy teachers can’t hand out their certificates or take part in pre-ceremony banquets.

Students had voted for two of their teachers — Don Wilson and Blake Buemann — to give speeches at the banquet.

Elfert said she was taking the petition to the KTTA office at the end of the day in hopes the list of students might spark “some resolution.”

Karpuk said a grievance will likely be filed dealing with the pay reductions ordered by the BPSEA for teachers’ job actions.

He said he had received complaints from teachers that the five and 10 per cent reductions tied to the level of job action had been applied to benefits as well as gross pay.

The BCPSEA has already said only base wages will be reduced and all other costs, including benefits and sick days, “are to be provided/paid as usual and in full.”

The document outlining these provisions notes that positions will be reviewed if the BCTF calls for a full strike.

The pay reduction went into effect on May 26, the day the BCTF started its rotating strikes.

Sullivan acknowledged there were bound to be some mistakes that will need to be corrected later.

“Our computer system isn’t set up to make [this kind of] reduction,” he said, noting it’s likely teachers away on field trips, on medical leave or who work part-time might have had the wrong amounts deducted.

Karpuk said he was also looking into reports of security guards at Aberdeen and Juniper Ridge elementary schools in the evening.

Sullivan also expressed surprise when told of the reports.

“News to me,” he said. “I’d suggest people not get their information from social media.”
Students urged not to walk out | Kamloops This Week
Thoughts? One side of me thinks that students should get the most of the time they have with their teachers, but the other feels that it's pretty damn hypocritical of teachers to pull the "Do as I say, not as I do" card.

As much as I support proper wages and decent class sizes for teachers, I hate that they're pulling this shit at the end of the school year. This is the time when students need help the most, what with final exams coming up.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:52 AM   #145

Thanked 1,888 Times in 487 Posts
about 11 years ago when i was in grade 12, some stupid shit with them was happening..

we ended up doing a student walk out.

honestly...it does/did shit all except get us out of class...

(cant say it'll do nothing for them, but who knows...)
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:00 AM   #146
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,938 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
about 11 years ago when i was in grade 12, some stupid shit with them was happening..

sad thing is, i was involved in a teach strike (was it in 2000? i can't recall)

doesn't this all strike you as odd, that probably >50% of us has seen a strike whilst at school, not to mention the bus strikes, port strikes, etc.

i'm not from canada, and have lived in 4 different countries - canada, by far, is the most strike prone place i've ever lived, and that tells me something is inherently wrong with either the government and/or our union structures/powers.

fundamentally, the big losers here are the tax paying citizens.

i'm sick of seeing shit like that
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-04-2014, 09:04 AM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post

this happened when i was in HS as well. all the schools in the city walked out and marched on city hall. really all it did was cause damage (some convenient stores were looted and bush shelters smashed, and time out of school.

Quote:
Greenstoner
Quote:

Old 06-05-2014, 09:00 AM   #148
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
BCTF President Jim Iker is threatening a full-scale teachers’ strike within the next two weeks if the government doesn’t put more money on the table.

Iker says teachers will take a strike vote on Monday, June 9 and Tuesday, June 10 to get a mandate for escalated job action.

Rotating strikes will also continue next week, with the schedule released Thursday.

“The time has come to apply even more pressure — it’s time to exert the maximum pressure,” says Iker. “Taking job action is never easy and these decisions are not made lightly. The rotating strikes show that parents understand what we are fighting for, and why we must take it forward.”

Iker says there’s still time for the province to avert a full-scale strike.

He says the government remains unwilling to move on key issues including class size and composition, and the number of specialist teachers for students with special needs.

“There are more than 16,000 classes in BC with four or more children with special needs,” says Iker. “Christy Clark’s lock out has created a lot of chaos in B.C. schools. We remain focused at the bargaining table and continue to persuade this government for a fair deal for teachers and better supports for our students.”

Education Minister Peter Fassbender says the government wants to get an agreement “by the end of June.”

“A full strike is only going to keep more students out of their classrooms, create more disruption for parents, while teachers and support workers caught in the middle will lose even more in wages. There is no bottomless pit of money, and the rotating strikes are certainly not going to help teachers’ and support workers’ pocketbooks,” said Fassbender in a statement.

Earlier today, the Labour Relations Board has ruled that the government’s 10 per cent wage to teachers during rotating strikes is not illegal, and can proceed.

Iker says the BCTF will be looking at all of its legal options in response to the decision.

The province says the wage cut saves them more than one million dollars per school day, but teachers argue it is just a tactic to escalate the dispute.

The province countered the rotating strikes with a partial lockout and docking teachers’ pay by 10 per cent starting May 26.

The government contends teachers shouldn’t expect full salary when they’re no longer fulfilling all their duties.

But the union’s lawyers argue employers have no authority to refuse wages.

Meanwhile, more than 10,000 B.C. students say they will walkout today in protest of the ongoing dispute between the BCTF and the provincial government.

Today is the only day this week the BCTF is not holding rotating strikes in B.C. The strikes will resume tomorrow.

The full schedule of rotating strikes this week can be found here.

READ MORE: Wage Comparison: how B.C. teachers compare to others in Canada

With files from the Canadian Press
BCTF threatens full-scale teachers? strike in next two weeks - BC | Globalnews.ca
(604) White 2014 BMW 335i xDrive M package, 05/15 - 01/17
(604) Blue 2017 BMW 240i xDrive, 01/17 - Current
ntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:48 PM   #149
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Bumping this to the top, gonna make two separate posts in order to organise my thoughts a bit better.

New update from the government:
Province moves to make exams, report cards essential services

Quote:
Province moves to make exams, report cards essential services

Application to LRB asks for ruling to prevent ‘serious and immediate danger’ to affected students

The B.C. Public School Employers Association has applied to the Labour Relations Board to designate Grade 10 to 12 exams and report cards for secondary students as essential services.

Earlier this week, Education Minister Peter Fassbender promised parents that exams and final marks would go ahead, but he said he wasn’t sure how he would make it happen.

Friday’s letter of application to vary the existing essential service order asks the board to designate supervising and marking exams and recording final marks as essential services.

“The basis for this application is the serious and immediate damage which would be caused to the education programs of secondary students if they are not able to complete end of year examinations (both provincial and school based), to have these examinations marked, and to ensure that final grades be compiled and entered into the relevant systems,” the letter states.

The results for Grade 12 students are necessary to enable graduation, to complete registration of students into post-secondary schools, to determine scholarship eligibility or to enter the workforce, the letter states. For Grade 10 and 11 students, the assessments are necessary to determine if students are ready to move to the next grade and “final grades based only on work to date may skew grade results unfairly, resulting in potentially inaccurate, and unfair assessments of student progress.”

The application also asks the board to say that designating new special needs students and getting payrolls ready on time are essential services.

The essential services order governing the teachers’ job action says any decision on variance will be made within 48 hours of referral to the board. The order defines as essential those services that prevent serious danger to the health, safety or welfare of people or that immediately and seriously disrupt the provision of educational programs.

Teachers have been on rotating strikes, closing schools one day each week in each district, since May 26. Parents and students should know by about 8 p.m. Tuesday evening whether teachers will be on a full strike the following week.

Voting will take place Monday and Tuesday, although some advance polls were already open on Friday. Teachers will be voting whether to strike knowing they will not be paid for any days they walk the picket line. As The Vancouver Sun reported yesterday, the union told its members its strike pay fund is running dry.

“The impact on the (Collective Bargaining Defence Fund) after 12 years of defending teachers’ rights on so many fronts, and such a prolonged struggle to make gains since the contract stripping in 2002 has been significant,” the BCTF said in an memo to its members. “The CBDF is able to finance up to three days of strike pay (as of June sixth we have already incurred two days of strike pay), after which the CBDF will not have the necessary funds to cover additional strike pay days that may well be necessary in order to achieve a collective agreement.”

A BCTF memo seen by The Vancouver Sun Friday says that teachers were asked at the BCTF’s annual general meeting to change its strike pay formula to give a lower amount at first, increasing with the number of days on strike, but that plan was not approved. At that meeting teachers also agreed to increase the portion of their dues that goes to this fund for next year to build the fund up again. In response to the rotating strikes, the employer instituted a partial lockout, which restricts teachers from working during recess or lunch hours, or from arriving at school any earlier than 45 minutes before classes start, or staying 45 minutes after they end and includes a 10-per-cent pay cut. The LRB ruled Wednesday that the lockout is legal, and teachers have not yet decided if they will appeal the decision or refer it to arbitration. The employer is offering a 7.3-per-cent wage increase over six years. Teachers on Tuesday reduced their wage demand by one per cent, now calling for 9.75 plus a portion of cost of living over four years.
So having previously said that the government would lock teachers out on the days when the teachers would be marking the graduating tests and that they would 'ensure that the work was done' regardless, we now know that the default move is not to find a compromise, but instead to simply pass a law saying 'you have to do this regardless'.

As much as I understand the resistance that people feel to negotiating with the Teachers, given the demands which people perceive as 'extreme', defaulting to legislating in contracts is very much not a sign of good faith for anyone.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:06 PM   #150

Thanked 2,351 Times in 1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
So having previously said that the government would lock teachers out on the days when the teachers would be marking the graduating tests and that they would 'ensure that the work was done' regardless, we now know that the default move is not to find a compromise, but instead to simply pass a law saying 'you have to do this regardless'.

As much as I understand the resistance that people feel to negotiating with the Teachers, given the demands which people perceive as 'extreme', defaulting to legislating in contracts is very much not a sign of good faith for anyone.
The few teacher friends that I have talked to pretty much expected this right from the start -- they were totally expecting the BC Liberals government to not take the negotiations seriously, and simply legislate them back to work, and perhaps even forcing a CBA down their throats once again. Legislating school teaching as "essential service" has already happened in the past with this government -- I forgot when, and I am too lazy to look it up. The BCTF as well as the teachers have pointed this out many times in the past -- they have repeatedly claim that the government is negotiating in bad faith.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote