REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:30 PM   #301
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
We all know exactly what the problem is, and how you all want more money for the kids. We get it. The problem is there is no more money. That's it, and we don't want to up our taxes to pay for more.

Take a pay cut, and we will fund your 225 million.

Contrary to teachers belief, government money doesn't grow on trees, those of us out here actually trying to make a living fund everything the government pays for, and in this economic climate, many of us are stretched to the limits as well.

Meanwhile teachers who work 9 months out of the year are averaging $74,000. You do realize that extrapolated out to a full year that is equivalent to almost 100k?

As stated on every page since like page 6, the supply of able bodied and adequately trained teachers is evident. The demand IS NOT. Therefore the market price for your services is declining, and yet because of your unionisation you guys are artificially pushing the price of your salaries upwards. This has been happening for the last decade, this time around we have finally reached a point that the government has finally said "enough is enough, we can't afford this any longer".

EDIT: When I say "we" I mean me, but my opinion is a prevalent one, so it may very well be more of a "royal we".

Also don't think I say any of the above from a position of disrespect to the role teachers play, I am saying this from a purely economic standpoint. I have a good deal of respect to those who teach, I just don't see the need to pay them more in this current market.
Again, you need to stop thinking only about salaries. A cost-of-living increase is not the reason that the government is saying "enough is enough". The government has priorities and is choosing to put money into ventures other than education. Every government has and has had limited funds but ours has chosen to reduce their funding for education from 300 million to 75 million dollars per year. And because of their spending habits I am supposed to take a pay cut? Business owners can spend their funds as they please (let's take a vacation!) then have employees pay for it? I can take my limited funds and spend them as I please and then ask the bank to reduce my mortgage? I'd like to think that teachers are pretty darn altruistic already, so let's not take advantage of that and ask us to give up our money, that supports our families, to make up for the government's spending habits. I realize that money is not plentiful, which is why I already stated that we will probably not get the 225m/year we are asking for. We are looking for negotiation and compromise (I hope).

Also, keep in mind that a teacher's workday is 9 or 9.5 (I can't recall which is the actual number) according to the government. That puts us very near the number of yearly working hours for 9-5ers. If you include the time spent coaching sports or clubs, then we work more hours per year than 9-5ers. If you include the hours many teachers (including myself) spend at work in the evenings, on the weekends, over the summer...you get my point.

But I should take a pay cut. To show that I really care. And because all teachers think money grows on trees.

*I fully admit that I am writing this a little tired and cranky
Advertisement
Old 06-20-2014, 07:04 PM   #302
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrophobia View Post
Also, keep in mind that a teacher's workday is 9 or 9.5 (I can't recall which is the actual number) according to the government. That puts us very near the number of yearly working hours for 9-5ers. If you include the time spent coaching sports or clubs, then we work more hours per year than 9-5ers. If you include the hours many teachers (including myself) spend at work in the evenings, on the weekends, over the summer...you get my point.

But I should take a pay cut. To show that I really care. And because all teachers think money grows on trees.

*I fully admit that I am writing this a little tired and cranky
Look we are going to disagree until we are both blue in the face.

Here are more facts to show you how much a teacher makes:

Starting salary for a teacher: just shy of $50k.

AVERAGE salary for the rest of the province (for those who are 18 and older): $45k

My point is NOT that teachers should take a pay cut so that the government can save a few bucks. My point is that the teachers should take a pay cut so the government can use those funds to help correct the other issues that are plaguing the system.

Also on the number of hours a teacher spends throughout the year:

I always see this argument about coaching sports and volunteering their time. You know that regular people do this as well right?

I volunteer at telethons (both sponsored by companies I have worked for and not), I used to coach a kids hockey team, and I assisted a young boys soccer team, and I also helped out with my family members scout troop fairly often.

^NONE of this counts towards working hours. It's great teachers do this, and I applaud those that do, but there are those that don't do these things either.

And no you shouldn't take a pay cut to show you care, you should be taking one because if you otherwise weren't part of a union, I would have fired your ass and hired any number of the other willing applicants for the MARKET PRICE.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-20-2014, 07:12 PM   #303
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
^^I have friends who are old school teachers and they talk shop all the time when they are just hanging. It never ends "Oh, I can us this in my socials class." They are always looking for deals on shit- they're married to their job. Those kinds of teachers are becoming extinct. Like I mentioned, the newer ones are less likely to be that dedicated. Having said that, a lot of the good teachers over the years have given up. They're just tired of the same ol' teacher bashing shit that goes on all the time September rolls around or job action is in progress. They just put in their time and go home to mark and prep for the next lesson. Sad.

I remember all the teachers I had when I was a kid. Man, they were like gods to me. They inspired me with their passion for learning. I'm sure all of us had those teachers at one time or another (unless you were a moron or a slacker). It's always easier, however, to remember the lazy-ass fucktards who made school boring and painful as hell.

achrophobia, you give me hope. If I ever have grandchildren (hint, hint, hint), I hope you're one of their teachers. BTW, pease tell me there are still dedicated teachers out there. I always said it's not the delivered curriculum that makes a difference, but the other stuff that a good teacher brings to their class day in and day out.

Honesty, integrity, ethics, life long learning, attitude, compassion, inclusion, open minded and critical thinking, etc. Not grammatically insync, but you get the idea.

Mr. Parmar, Mr. Madhosingh, Dr. Goldberg, Mr. H. King, thanks for being my teachers.

Addendum: Dr. Theo Goldberg was my grade 4-7 music teacher. I just found out he passed away not that long ago. He was an awesome individual. Had a German accent, drove a mustang, and was ahead of his time as far as music education was concerned. I remember a musical he wrote and directed. It was amazing. "Flute Island" I think it was called. Lord Strathcona Elementary was like 98% Chinese. He used traditional Chinese music and used it to create a modern musical. Later on, I bumped into him at UBC of all places, where he was a prof there. Sadly, he passed away in 2012. I will have to see where his final resting place is.

Last edited by MG1; 06-20-2014 at 07:26 PM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:30 PM   #304
MG1

Quote:
And no you shouldn't take a pay cut to show you care, you should be taking one because if you otherwise weren't part of a union, I would have fired your ass and hired any number of the other willing applicants for the MARKET PRICE.
Wow, and you volunteer and work with kids? Hockey coach, eh?

On that note, I'm outta here. The thread was fun. It's RS............. Nuff Said.

god bless
Old 06-20-2014, 08:02 PM   #305
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:

I always see this argument about coaching sports and volunteering their time. You know that regular people do this as well right?

I volunteer at telethons (both sponsored by companies I have worked for and not), I used to coach a kids hockey team, and I assisted a young boys soccer team, and I also helped out with my family members scout troop fairly often.

^NONE of this counts towards working hours. It's great teachers do this, and I applaud those that do, but there are those that don't do these things either.
I knew this argument was coming. The type of community volunteer activities you mention are the ones that we also volunteer for. I was referring to the plethora of high school sports teams and clubs that are sponsored almost solely by teachers, because many consider these activities 'part of the job' (but don't like to include them when discussing how 'little' teachers work).

meme405- We can agree to disagree. Do remember that the vast majority of teachers work their tails off to make their classrooms safe and engaging for all of their students, while funding dwindles and expectations increase. Like me or hate me, I'm going to make sure that your kids have a blast in my science class

MG1- I work with many amazing teachers that are entirely dedicated to their craft; these folks make up the majority of my colleagues and I'm willing to bet that it's not like this at only my school. I don't often have the opportunity to experience other teachers' lessons first hand, but based on the discussions I hear between students and the hard work behind the scenes that I do observe, I leave my school every day believing that I have an exciting and special job, staff, and school. Teaching is not the same as it was in the 90s when I went through, and the change has certainly been for the better.

Last edited by acrophobia; 06-20-2014 at 08:13 PM.
acrophobia is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2014, 09:59 PM   #306

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Wow, and you volunteer and work with kids? Hockey coach, eh?

On that note, I'm outta here. The thread was fun. It's RS............. Nuff Said.

god bless
Sorry.

Seriously Sorry Acrophobia, I didn't mean like you yourself I would fire, I meant that as in teachers in general. I operate on a strictly financial level, so sometimes when talking about that, something comes off in a way I don't intend. In my world of management and business ownership, dollars and cents do 90% of the talking.

I'll be honest teachers like you and traum seem to be the ones on here actually defending others, in my opinion you guys probably represent the upper echelon of teachers...aka...those that actually care. (this is my opinion after never having sat in your classes, but just going by your words on here). While other teachers are simply using the strike time to just dick off, you guys are here defending them and trying to further people's faltering opinion of teachers.

I will agree to disagree with you, although I don't think our mentalities are very different I think our perspectives are just too far apart.

I will stop posting as I have cluttered this thread plenty, and I think i've made my point a few too many times.

Sorry everyone.

EDIT: oh and MG1, I have lots of younger kids in my family, and I love kids. Believe it or not, I'm not just a keyboard warrior, I do other things as well.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:57 AM   #307
MG1

Yeah, I said I would stop posting but I had to respond. Meme, you're a good shit as far as shit goes, just kidding. At least you were good enough to apologize to acro.

Me, on the other hand......... I'm just an old miserable fart. I'm at Gardenworks for their annual sale and I'm getting coffee. This middle aged Canadianized Chinese lady has two cups stacked together. I knew why, but I tell her she has two cups stuck together. She tells me she does this on purpose to protect her hands. I tell her she's no gardener, then. She gets all defensive and husband starts chuckling. I've been apologizing all my life. It's time to be the true Azzhole I am.

Anyway, thanks, meme, I won't have to ask the mods to change your user name to Mean405.

Last edited by MG1; 06-21-2014 at 06:44 AM.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:25 PM   #308
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Look we are going to disagree until we are both blue in the face.

Here are more facts to show you how much a teacher makes:

Starting salary for a teacher: just shy of $50k.

AVERAGE salary for the rest of the province (for those who are 18 and older): $45k

My point is NOT that teachers should take a pay cut so that the government can save a few bucks. My point is that the teachers should take a pay cut so the government can use those funds to help correct the other issues that are plaguing the system.

You do know that a lot of parents expects teachers to do these type "Volunteers work" right? Even though is not part of the their job. Let's see how will the sports team, yearbook club, camping trips, band trips, gard party are without teachers to volunteer their time. Those events or activites won't happen.

I volunteer and I can tell you some of these so call volunteer activites won't run without teachers being there. Ex. Sports team, some of the teachers even drives their students to such events (happen to me when I was in high school) Will parents be willing or let a totally stranger drive their kids or trust a teacher?

I make decent money and have friends who are teachers who makes maybe about the same. Their workload is way way more than mine. See after work for me is no work if I do need to do work well that's OT. Teachers, good luck, you have prep, mark exams, call parents, pay, stay OT if there are still kids in the classroom asking questions. These are all not included in their salary. Sure let's get teachers to take a pay cut but in order for them to do anything after school they are paid OT. How's that?

Tons of teachers volunteer because they feel is part of their job. Sure fire all of their ass and let's see if you prepare school can actually open in Sept.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:45 AM   #309

Thanked 2,461 Times in 1,127 Posts
If I were a teacher, I would advocate for cutting back volunteer hours for sports teams, field trips, etc. If the public isn't willing to pay for the time, then let the parents takeover.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:35 AM   #310
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
does it even matter in the long run?

i remember as a kid teachers went on strike and shit. all that meant for me was more vacation time.

decades later, i don't think those strikes affected me as a student that much. i still had to write and do all those exams eventually. and i still eventually graduated elementary and HS and all that.

yeah i had some cool teachers that taught "better" than others. but in the end i still had to study and "luckily" i had a billion different after school study programs such as tutors and group studies and other crap... i didn't really do much "learning" in school (i went to public school).

i basically went to school to hang out, and get my assignments and try not to fall asleep in class. all the studying was done outside of school.

i think in the end it doesn't really matter. as long as you have a few good teachers that's all that matters. the rest is still in the parents hands.

i think parents still have a huge % of the responsibility of encouraging their kids to learn.
they shouldn't depend on schools for that. school is just a really complex text book that gets thrown at the kids.

now as i get older, i realise why parents get pissed at these strikes and shit...

but really, i'm still a kid, so hooray for extended holidays!

playing in the back yard, following ants around and climbing trees, throwing eggs at buses... that's where the real learning is at. haha...
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:38 AM   #311
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
If I were a teacher, I would advocate for cutting back volunteer hours for sports teams, field trips, etc. If the public isn't willing to pay for the time, then let the parents takeover.
I'm totally OK with that, my son plays a bunch of sports that take up a lot of not only his time but ours and none of them through the school. My wife and I volunteer all the time, I help with coaching and my wife volunteers to help with team management. He's our kid, I have no problem paying for it and pitching in it only makes sense. School sports although I'm sure great for some are easily trumped by all the community stuff out there, hockey, football, baseball, lacrosse, swimming ect.....We had our last Lacrosse game yesterday afternoon and Football starts next Thursday so we have no problem finding things to keep him active.

Teachers should concentrate on teaching and spend their free time with their own family just like everybody else, no disagreement from this guy.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:17 PM   #312

^ This supports my point. It seems that parents today, for whatever reason, trust teachers less. If I were a teacher, I would just throw my hands up and say, "My role is to help your child learn the province's curriculum and to pass exams. Nothing more, nothing less." If you want your kid to be a superstar, it's your responsibility. Teachers then wouldn't have to fight the province and public opinion on their importance to public education - they can simply focus on the hours worked in the classroom and test results as metrics. An average of 70K after 10 years for 8 hours a day of work and 2 months off is a pretty good deal. If parents want their kids to play sports or put together a yearbook, they can organize sich activities on their own. Things like grad and recitals should be entirely volunteer driven too. If kids want to use schools for activities after hours, they should have their parents to sign waivers and make their families liable for any damage done to school property, injuries, etc.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:18 PM   #313
MG1

Quote:
Most of the teachers who do the extra-curricular stuff do so because they love to. It's their passion. It's how they connect with the kids. It's one of the most rewarding parts of the job. This job action hurts them way, way more than the ones who get there just before the bell rings and then beats the kids out to the parking lot.

As for field trips, districts have a strict teacher to student ratio. Parents, more often than not, end up causing some problems. They are not great at discipline, and in all fairness, aren't expected to. It's more for good PR and to have the adult to student ratio met at some venues.

Coaching and volunteering local teams and clubs are cool for parents, because their kid and their kids' friends are known to them and vice versa. School teams are a little different. In higher grades, parents coaching is not a big deal, but in lower grades, there has to be a sponsor teacher involved. Not always in capacity of coach. Accountability when at other schools (tournaments).

As for curriculum, it doesn't matter what they teach - school is about socializing, learning to get along with each other, and learning to deal with shit. Not all parents are there for their children. There are some really ugly situations out there. For some kids, school is the only escape from a shitty home life. School is the only place where they feel safe and the teachers become the role models they don't have at home. School offers structure for some really needy kids. Without good schools (great teachers, effective administrators, and good support from the community), these kids will be out on the streets.

Again, most people on RS grew up with great parents and a good home life. Not talking about money and shit, but a place where there was something called love and caring for one another.

There are kids who fall through the cracks and there are lots of other complicated issues. One thing is for sure, the ministry of education is always the last to figure things out. We put people in charge who have absolutely no idea what the hell happens in classrooms, let alone schools.

Fassbender? Yeah.......... when's the last time he was in a classroom? Does he know the children of today and the big issues?

Why do I keep posting in this thread, LOL.

I miss being involved wth the PAC. It was great being able to work with teachers, principals, district staff, and parents in general, to make a difference in our children's lives. "Community of Learners."

Last edited by MG1; 06-23-2014 at 02:40 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-23-2014, 02:37 PM   #314
MG1

Also, for those kids on the other end of the spectrum, being involved in local organized sports is on the difficult side. School sports is probably the only alternative for them and in most cases, is a game changer (pun not really intended). Their parents wouldn't care less if their kids were having sex in the bushes, smoking pot, into crack, whatever......... as long as mom can fuck around with boyfriend (fifth one in as many weeks) or do drugs and turn tricks. Kids are just a fricken nuisance to them. Some parents out there are pretty scary, but that's our society. You'll never see those parents out on the fields with their kids on weekends. People from West Van, Point Grey, Shaughnessy, etc. have no clue what types of shit goes on in other parts of the province. It's actually better not to know.

Teachers on the other hand cannot turn a blind eye.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-23-2014, 02:41 PM   #315

MG1:

You make some great points about the role that teachers can play. There are always bad apples who punch-in and punch-out and administer multiple choice exams, but I definitely appreciate teachers who go above and beyond what's expected to make a difference.

With that said, I think teachers have to be in touch with the public's sensibilities. The general public no longer values nor trusts public institutions to the same extent as 10-20 years ago. People are being squeezed and want everything for nothing. The teachers will never win the war of public opinion if they emphasize the role they play when Joe Average doesn't value education and thinks he can do a better job raising his child. Sure, there are many kids who come from broken homes, but such families don't vote, nor do they pay their share in taxes. It's a deeply cynical view, yes, but considering the passionate posts from those in this thread, what I've described about the public's attitude is not far off-base. Ultimately, the teachers have to look out for themselves.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:43 PM   #316
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
I wonder how many RS-ers are from Templeton or Britannia? IMO, those are probably the 2 schools with the highest percentage of dysfunctional families. It doesn't mean they don't have good, smart kids -- of course they still do. But there are some really fxxked up families out there, and as MG1 was saying, school and school-based activities are really their only escape and their guides to a proper and more structured world.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:55 PM   #317
MG1

Yes, but the good ones don't really care about what Joe Public thinks. I can guarantee you some are deeply hurt by the teacher bashing that goes on, but in the end, that is what teaching is all about.

They used to say in times of war, certain people are always shot first. Teachers are one of the first. It's not like that here, of course, but if everyone bowed to public opinion all the time, all shit goes to hell or is it all hell goes to shit.......... my brain hurts and it's only like afternoon.

And those kids who's parents don't vote or give a rat's ass........... something has to be done for them. Hopefully, when they grow up and have kids, they will not prepetuate what they are used to at home and remember what their school did for them.

Like I said previously, I've had the good fortune to encounter some really stellar educators growing up the the DTES. I will always support public education. Not bash it like others like to do, but rather work with everyone to make it better. "It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness."

Last edited by MG1; 06-23-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:04 PM   #318
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I wonder how many RS-ers are from Templeton or Britannia? IMO, those are probably the 2 schools with the highest percentage of dysfunctional families. It doesn't mean they don't have good, smart kids -- of course they still do. But there are some really fxxked up families out there, and as MG1 was saying, school and school-based activities are really their only escape and their guides to a proper and more structured world.
Having attended Britannia myself and having cousins who attended Templeton back in the 60's, those two catchment areas were awesome. Britannia being predominantly Chinese and Italian, where family is a big deal, there were no dysfunctional families. Mind you, during that era, the kids from the worst of families probably never went to school, LOL.

I did visit Brit not that long ago and things have changed. Okay, quite a bit, but I see more issues at schools out in areas like Abbotsford, Mission, and dare I say, parts of Surrey. New West isn't a bed of roses, either. More Guns than Roses (okay, bad joke). Of course, there are some good areas in these communities, but a community and how it rallies around its schools is so important.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:06 PM   #319

^ My point is that teachers should care what Joe Average thinks to a certain extent because they are paid by taxpayers. If your position can resonate with what Joe Average is thinking, then the politicians will notice (eventually). The days of being a public servant in an altruistic ivory tower are over, unfortunately.

I feel the same way as teachers do when people bash arts majors. People are becoming less and less accepting of perspectives other than their own. My point is that teachers and their union have to speak the language that Joe Average is speaking. You can't win hearts and minds if you talk about helping kids in the DTES. Most people, especially middle class families, would rather not think about such people at all.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:09 PM   #320
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
^ This supports my point. It seems that parents today, for whatever reason, trust teachers less. If I were a teacher, I would just throw my hands up and say, "My role is to help your child learn the province's curriculum and to pass exams. Nothing more, nothing less." If you want your kid to be a superstar, it's your responsibility. Teachers then wouldn't have to fight the province and public opinion on their importance to public education - they can simply focus on the hours worked in the classroom and test results as metrics. An average of 70K after 10 years for 8 hours a day of work and 2 months off is a pretty good deal. If parents want their kids to play sports or put together a yearbook, they can organize sich activities on their own. Things like grad and recitals should be entirely volunteer driven too. If kids want to use schools for activities after hours, they should have their parents to sign waivers and make their families liable for any damage done to school property, injuries, etc.

For me it's not that I don't trust teachers, my son has a had some really good ones so far. I don't feel I need to rely on the school or the teachers to provide him with extra curricular stuff after school. I'm happy if they teach him what he needs to learn to move to the next grade and we'll take care of the rest and help guide him along the way.

My elementary school growing up we we're able to go to the school 2 nights a week and play in the gym it was organized by parents completely volunteer. Mind you that was a different time before people we're sue happy and school boards were worried about some kid tripping and suing them.

It's hard to compare how things are now to when I was a kid. Even things like daycare are so much different. When I was a kid I went to some ladies house down the street, we had to sit in her living room all summer long, not allowed outside no cable only a bunch of old coloring books it was the closest thing to prison I can think of. My son goes to daycare, during the summer they take them to Science World, Playland, waterparks, waterslides, Granville Island, movie theatres just to name the first bunch of things off the top of my head. Then again when I was young we could hop on our bikes and take off wherever our parents wouldn't worry about bad shit happening to us, I don't let me son further then the front yard without an escort.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:16 PM   #321
MG1

Quote:
My point is that teachers and their union have to speak the language that Joe Average is speaking. You can't win hearts and minds if you talk about helping kids in the DTES. Most people, especially middle class families, would rather not think about such people at all.
Politicians will never get it. And when shit gets their attention and they basically have to do something about it, they rarely come up with real solutions.

Middle class families should care......... who are the ones breaking into their cars and homes?

Also, as mentioned by a few others in this thread, the BCTF are out to lunch and out of touch. I have this feeling the teachers voted with a yes majority to show support for their union, sending a message to the BCSPEA....... ugh, whatever they're called. That very same union is now taking that mandate and screwing things up.

Stop messing around and let the teachers vote on the last offer by the government. All that greedy little union wants is more members' dues. Smaller class size = more teachers = more union dues.

As far as DTES reference, that was my situation. There are ghettos everywhere. Also mentioned elsewhere, it's not always about poverty but attitudes. There are plenty of poor neighbourhoods with great schools. The community reaps what it sows (or doesn't).

I think Joe Average doesn't get it and may never get it, but those with kids, do, or better yet, can if given the opportunity. That, is what the PAC is there for. To educate and promote parental involvement.

Last edited by MG1; 06-23-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:18 PM   #322

When I mentioned Templton and Brit earlier, I was really only thinking in terms of the VSB. I am not familiar enough with the other school districts, so I can't say too much about those.

As recent as the late 90's, I'd say Templeton still had a good number of Italian kids attending the schools, but the Chinese population seemed to have given up a bit of its size to the Vietnamese groups. School fights and stuff, especially those involving the Italian kids, generally follow an unspoken protocol (some will undoubtedly call this an unspoken code of honour) -- you duke it out 1-on-1 with little else other than your fists and your body, and you solve your differences / issues there. But with the smaller stature and fierce character of the Vietnamese kids, 1-on-1 duels just didn't make sense. So the rules of the game got changed a bit. Knives, batons, plumbing pipes, and sometimes even guns came into the picture, and things just got a lot more complicated...

Damn, I feel old...
Old 06-24-2014, 02:19 PM   #323

Followers in this thread probably already knows my anger and hatred towards the BC Liberals government in the current government-BCTF labour dispute. Naturally, as the government-appointed arm in this bargaining / negotiation, my hatred towards the BC Liberals government extends to the BCPSEA as well, and there are numerous reasons why.

BCPSEA and the BC Liberals government are doing everything they can in their mud-slinging smear campaign to try and make public believe that teachers are demanding a wage increase that is unreasonable. What BCPSEA is not telling you is that they are using calculations that are completely wrong to deceive the public in the hopes to sway public opinion in the government's favour.

In a nutshell, percentages in wage increase demand and benefit demands cannot be just added up to give a grand percentage. The total amount of wage and benefit increase, when divided by the current sum of wage and benefits, is actually right in line with what other government employees have been given in recent contracts. This government continues to paint teachers in the public education system as greedy and lazy. Unfortunately, too many people simply just take everything the government and BCPSEA feeds them at face value, and arrive at a mis-informed understanding of what is really happening.

The use of these dirty tactics is one of the things that pisses me off. Shame on this POS government.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-24-2014, 02:30 PM   #324
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
School districts across B.C. planning deep cuts to balance budgets

And the BCTF isn't equally full of shit? $5000 signing bonuses? Up to $3000/yr allowance for fucking massages?!

Let's not forget the BCTF has butted heads with EVERY government since their inception, not just these Liberals. What's the common denominator in this equation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-24-2014, 02:38 PM   #325

The BCTF is certainly full of shxt at least part of the time, but as far as signing bonuses are concerned, didn't the other public sector union get some sort of signing bonus as well in their last round of CBA negotiations? At a minimum, I thought the medical staff (nurses and doctors) did, and they haven't been put on the same 6-year 0% wage freeze as the teachers have.

But again, salary increases isn't the important thing to me. It is the BCPSEA / Liberals gov tactics of portrayal that disgust me, and it is the re-injection of education funding (not salaries) that should be the focus of the discussion.