REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > 4x4's and the Great Outdoors

4x4's and the Great Outdoors THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
When pavement meets dirt, Beautiful British Columbia
When life on tarmac isn't enough. This section is for 4x4 Offroad Events, Pics, Discussion. Places to test your truck, Techniques and Skills. Everyone of all skill levels are welcome. Got a wicked campsite you would like to share? Discover the great outdoors, gear discussion etc.
A little mud never hurts, so get down and dirty...

Old 04-24-2017, 01:23 PM   #1701
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Huntshield Gun Lock Combo, 3-pk | Canadian Tire

3-pack combo trigger locks for sale at CT for $16.99 per pack. Good deal!
Advertisement
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:50 PM   #1702
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
nice!
I need to grab a few more of those. They're far more convenient than using the cable locks.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:55 PM   #1703
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
I thanked him for coming back and telling us where he's been since he started the thread - I wondered where the OP was after starting an epic thread.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2017, 06:51 PM   #1704

I ordered a Burris Timberline 4.4-14 x 32mm for my sons' Scout. I decided that Dad better 'test it out' first, you know, to make sure it works. So I mounted it on my CZ 452 UltraLux and it just fit behind my rear sight using Burris Signature medium rings.

This post thanked by:
Old 04-25-2017, 09:00 AM   #1705
they call me the snowman

You sure love those tack drivers.
Nice wood on that CZ. The great thing about the rimfires is that you can plink all day without breaking the bank. Unlike my 5.56 rifles now. A filled pistol mag is costing me about $4.50 now, and that kind of hurts. But it's so much fun to shoot with the iron sights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
I thanked him for coming back and telling us where he's been since he started the thread - I wondered where the OP was after starting an epic thread.
Ah, that makes sense.
It's too bad that he is giving up. I haven't had the time to shoot for the last two weeks, and I'm missing it. Like any hobby, it's what you do when time permits.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2017, 10:32 AM   #1706

So I am interested in doing IDPA with my new pistol as I would like to do something more than just static range shooting. Is there a good way to start other than just showing up at a match and participating?

I noticed that Silvercore has handgun courses - Level 1, 2, and 3. Level 1 seems to be introductory and more about general shooting at a range, whereas Level 2 seems to be tactical (?) shooting basics. Has anyone taken them, and are they worth it? It seems like I will have to take the Silvercore Level 1 course before I can apply for the Level 2 course, and they're fairly pricey.
fml
Old 04-27-2017, 03:33 PM   #1707
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
Ah, that makes sense.
It's too bad that he is giving up. I haven't had the time to shoot for the last two weeks, and I'm missing it. Like any hobby, it's what you do when time permits.
I am not giving up. I am saying that I am not as interested as I was before. It's not at it's peak like it was a few years ago. This doesn't motivate me to spend more money, drive further, or participate in shooting as much.

I did not say this to demoralize or demotivate others who have a deep passion for this. I just wanted to offer my 2 cents on a topic that I've had a lot of interest in.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:50 AM   #1708

Managed to sneak out to the range today for an hour(ish) to try and zero that Burris on my CZ. The RCMP had the rifle range rented so I could only shoot the 25 yard .22 range.

The scope is probably a little too far back and creates a tight scope pocket or eye relief (whatever you call it), but the glass is impressively clear, making two eyes open scope shooting possible without issue (providing you found the eye relief first). Aquila was my rifle's preferred diet today - it was shooting better than CCI SV in the wind. Target grid is 1" squares. Shot using a front rest and shouldered.

Last edited by Zedbra; 11-17-2021 at 05:07 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2017, 09:45 AM   #1709
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Managed to sneak out to the range today for an hour(ish) to try and zero that Burris on my CZ. The RCMP had the rifle range rented so I could only shoot the 25 yard .22 range.
That drives me nuts when the police, corrections, or CBSA take up the whole range. That said, some of the guys shooting there are pretty easy going and have some great hardware. A couple of tactical officers were in Abbotsford last year shooting a suppressed AR, and a suppressed 338. Suppressors are about as cool as you can imagine, blowing off 5.56 rounds that sounded like a subsonic .22
Old 05-01-2017, 06:20 PM   #1710

Quote:
That drives me nuts when the police, corrections, or CBSA take up the whole range. That said, some of the guys shooting there are pretty easy going and have some great hardware. A couple of tactical officers were in Abbotsford last year shooting a suppressed AR, and a suppressed 338. Suppressors are about as cool as you can imagine, blowing off 5.56 rounds that sounded like a subsonic .22
From what I saw of their shooting, in the event of a firefight, the safest place is right in front of them as they try to double tap. Key word: try.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:18 PM   #1711

So this finally came in. So excited! I'm still waiting for my ATT to show up so I can bring it to the range.

fml

Last edited by roastpuff; 05-01-2017 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Fixed image link
This post thanked by:
Old 05-02-2017, 05:39 AM   #1712

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
So this finally came in. So excited! I'm still waiting for my ATT to show up so I can bring it to the range.
Your ATT or LTATT is now a part of your licence. You need to wait for your registration card in order to transport that specific pistol to the range.

Nice looking Glock.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-02-2017, 08:48 AM   #1713
they call me the snowman

Quote:
From what I saw of their shooting, in the event of a firefight, the safest place is right in front of them as they try to double tap. Key word: try.
I play hockey with a lot of cops, and like anything, some of them are great while others are not so much.

The tactical guys were nuts though. Typical attitude and ego from a cop carrying a suppressed AR, but these guys were really good. I think the further you get away from the beat cops, the more shooting skill and commitment you're going to see.

I still don't like hanging out with cops though. Nice folks, but I have too many skeletons in my closet to get close to the law.

Quote:
Spoiler!
now that is a nice pistol.
Glocks shoot so well. You're going to have some fun with it.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-02-2017, 07:55 PM   #1714

Quote:
Your ATT or LTATT is now a part of your licence. You need to wait for your registration card in order to transport that specific pistol to the range.

Nice looking Glock.
Okay I just knew I had to wait for something to come in the mail from Miramichi. Got the letter telling me the registration is coming in the mail today here's hoping it comes soon...

And thanks Zed I'm really excited about it.
Quote:

now that is a nice pistol.
Glocks shoot so well. You're going to have some fun with it.
Thanks hypa!

Just got back from trap shoot night at the Pemberton range. My shoulder is sore... Put two boxes through my shotgun.
fml
Old 05-02-2017, 08:14 PM   #1715
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

If Glocks shoot so well why do people always swap the barrel
incubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:46 PM   #1716

Quote:
Just got back from trap shoot night at the Pemberton range. My shoulder is sore... Put two boxes through my shotgun.
You should be able to put a lot more than two boxes through before the shoulder gets sore. Shotguns are all about fit - and recoil can be managed either with weight or some kind of semi-automatic action. Trap is a lot of fun - I wish I could get out to it more often but I have Dad duty on the weekends, when our range does their trap shoots.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:20 PM   #1717

Quote:
You should be able to put a lot more than two boxes through before the shoulder gets sore. Shotguns are all about fit - and recoil can be managed either with weight or some kind of semi-automatic action. Trap is a lot of fun - I wish I could get out to it more often but I have Dad duty on the weekends, when our range does their trap shoots.
Oh, it's not that sore, I can just feel it a bit when I rub that area - I've never put that many rounds downrange on the shotgun before, usually it's just 10-15 rounds in between handguns/rifles. It was a lot of fun - this was my first shoot at a proper trap range, and I'm getting more used to leading the clay during my 2nd round. The shotgun (Win SXP Trap) functioned flawlessly except when I forgot to fully chamber the round, didn't use enough oomph.

I think I need to pull the shotgun more into my shoulder too, I may have had some rounds where I didn't assume the proper firing stance/position.

It's every Tuesday night so I'm definitely going again next week! Right now my hands smell like Hoppes 9. How often do you guys clean your shotguns/how many shells before cleaning?
fml
Old 05-02-2017, 10:01 PM   #1718

You have to pull in that shotgun before every shot - you leave any slack in there and it just takes that one shot to punch your shoulder hard enough to give you pain; I think we have all made that mistake.

With my shotguns, when things don't cycle or work well, then I clean them. Some have gone years without cleaning. Hell, I just picked one up from the 70's that I don't think was ever cleaned; it was still firing but not ejecting without a fight!
Old 05-03-2017, 08:48 AM   #1719
they call me the snowman

Quote:

I love shooting my 870, but with a heavy load it will tenderize the shoulder after a while. That's why I don't shoot my 45-70 very often. That, and the fact it's now $3.25/round. ouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubus View Post
If Glocks shoot so well why do people always swap the barrel
My cars always had great brakes and suspension, but it never stopped me from messing around with those parts.

hahaha, really though I was impressed with how easy a Glock is to shoot well, right out of the box. You need to talk me into one of those.

Quote:
Some have gone years without cleaning.
I found that with my dad's old guns. He would take them out twice a year to hunt, and short of wiping muck off the stock he would put them away. Granted, back then they would be left on the top shelf of the bedroom closet.

I think leaving a gun in a safe in the basement is far more dangerous than not cleaning them. My poor SKS was cleaned religiously after shooting. But one winter in the unfinished basement did more damage than 1000 acidic primers every could.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:57 AM   #1720

I think several members here are members of the Squamish range? We should do a range day or afternoon, would love to meet all of you in person!

(and see/shoot your guns!)
fml
Old 05-03-2017, 11:18 AM   #1721
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Sent you a PM.

Glocks are great but sold mine to get a savage 10tr and a Ruger takedown stainless.
incubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:57 AM   #1722

I was looking for a Pelican case or similar to store/transport my new Glock as the original Glock case is too shallow to fit the gun with a trigger lock installed. I was on Canadian Tire's website and noticed these cases for sale!

They look like Pelican clones, seem to be constructed similarly, and come with pluck foam so you can shape it to your needs.

Small Case - Pelican 1400 equivalent - $49 (reg $99)
Medium Case - Pelican 1500 equivalent - $69 (reg $139)
Large Case - Storm 2600 equivalent - $99 (reg $199)
fml
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2017, 12:31 PM   #1723

I'd be in for a range day next week. I may go Friday when I get back.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:48 PM   #1724
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Those look beefy. I am going to check them out.

Quote:
I'd be in for a range day next week. I may go Friday when I get back.
Enjoy, gentlemen.
It would be good to get out to Squamish one day.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:54 AM   #1725

Anyone want to hit the Squamish range tomorrow?