REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2014, 02:39 PM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: East Van
Posts: 13
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hit & Run, need help finding a car.

My friend was hit over the weekend by a 2008ish gold/bronze mustang while he was skating boarding home. The guy hit him and just floored it right off, didnt leave any info or said sorry. He left my friend with a super swollen knee and bruised calf. This happened around 1st and Renfew. If anyone has information or seen this car please let me know. His wife yelled out his first name, Ronald. Police claim has been filed, still waiting for his license plate to file an ICBC claim.
Advertisement
ImFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:05 AM   #2
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO
 
Marco911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: US Bush-country
Posts: 7,738
Thanked 822 Times in 284 Posts
Was the Mustang driving on the sidewalk? If he wasn't, it's a valuable lesson to your friend that skateboarding is a dangerous activity on public roads.
__________________
Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another.
Marco911 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2014, 05:22 AM   #3
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
Was the Mustang driving on the sidewalk? If he wasn't, it's a valuable lesson to your friend that skateboarding is a dangerous activity on public roads.


I agree with this part of what you said. I also agree that many skateboarders display a complete lack of traffic sense and responsibility while using roads designed for vehicles.....however, the Mustang driver is required by law to stop, render what assistance he can, identify himself and report the incident. That is unacceptable.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2014, 12:34 PM   #4
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: East Van
Posts: 13
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
Was the Mustang driving on the sidewalk? If he wasn't, it's a valuable lesson to your friend that skateboarding is a dangerous activity on public roads.
Vancouver laws states that bicycles and skateboards are suppose to be on the road if there isn't a line. How is skateboarding on the road anymore dangerous than bicycling? He was just on his way home from the bus stop, serves him right to get by a car? I don't get your logic. Maybe you should pull away from your mental bandwagon of skateboarding is bad and actually focus on the main point of identifying a hit and run.
ImFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2014, 02:35 PM   #5
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Richmond
Posts: 4,992
Thanked 7,941 Times in 2,061 Posts
Do you think there was any damage done to the mustang?
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:30 PM   #6
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!
 
Tone Loc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 872
Thanked 1,418 Times in 403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImFlying View Post
Vancouver laws states that bicycles and skateboards are suppose to be on the road if there isn't a line. How is skateboarding on the road anymore dangerous than bicycling? He was just on his way home from the bus stop, serves him right to get by a car? I don't get your logic. Maybe you should pull away from your mental bandwagon of skateboarding is bad and actually focus on the main point of identifying a hit and run.
Nobody is saying the Mustang driver wasn't being a douche by leaving an injured person lying on the side of the road, and nobody is saying that serious charges should not be filed if this person is caught.

That being said, skateboarding is much more dangerous than cycling and even walking because there is no brake - IMO, this alone is enough reason for me to believe they do not belong on the road. It's a good reminder for people to leave skateboarding to emptier side streets and skate parks, not on busy roads that see large amounts of traffic.
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:57 PM   #7
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 18
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PARANOiA-R34 View Post
Nobody is saying the Mustang driver wasn't being a douche by leaving an injured person lying on the side of the road, and nobody is saying that serious charges should not be filed if this person is caught.

That being said, skateboarding is much more dangerous than cycling and even walking because there is no brake - IMO, this alone is enough reason for me to believe they do not belong on the road. It's a good reminder for people to leave skateboarding to emptier side streets and skate parks, not on busy roads that see large amounts of traffic.
It really annoys me when people say you cant stop on a skateboard. Fact is skateboards can stop just as fast as a bike. Skateboards aren't just used for skateparks, they're a mode of transportation just like bikes, scooters and roller blades. Should we say bikes should only be used at bike parks?
YamFries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:09 PM   #8
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
meme405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,625
Thanked 7,179 Times in 2,177 Posts
Without regard to anything else in this thread, or the actions of the driver (which were obviously completely out of line), or any of that.

This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamFries View Post
It really annoys me when people say you cant stop on a skateboard. Fact is skateboards can stop just as fast as a bike.
Is complete and utter bullshit.

I am willing to come to your neighborhood and show you how even on a slight incline at a moderate 20km/h pace how I on my mountain bike can come to a controlled stop and how you on your skateboard simply cannot.

Go read this thread:

http://www.revscene.net/forums/69444...-pd-video.html

And you can apply every single one of the topics discussed to a regular skateboard as well, i'd argue probably even to a greater degree given that regular skateboards are most definitely not built for speed.

Also before you think we are singling out skateboarders, I am 100% positive if we started seeing a sudden influx of grown ass men riding scooters down hills or rollerblading through the streets those would become part of the same discussion we are having here. In an emergency situation those are just as uncontrollable as a skateboard.
__________________

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2014, 10:16 PM   #9
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
meme405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,625
Thanked 7,179 Times in 2,177 Posts
Also my feelings when you say skateboarding is a mode of transportation:


__________________

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2014, 12:20 AM   #10
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 1,488
Thanked 1,499 Times in 415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamFries View Post
It really annoys me when people say you cant stop on a skateboard. Fact is skateboards can stop just as fast as a bike.
You have got to be kidding me right? What braking mechanism do skateboards have? What braking mechanism do bikes have? Which has braking mechanism has higher friction, hence stopping power?

It doesn't matter the incline, the bike will always stop faster and with a shorter stopping distance required.

Or even simpler yet, you stop a skateboard with one feet, where as a bike has 4 pads to stop 2 wheels. 4>1.
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2014, 12:26 AM   #11
My homepage has been set to RS
 
SpeedStars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,494
Thanked 3,690 Times in 857 Posts

Spoiler!
__________________
'16 WRX

'93 GSR
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2014, 02:37 AM   #12
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO
 
Marco911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: US Bush-country
Posts: 7,738
Thanked 822 Times in 284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
I agree with this part of what you said. I also agree that many skateboarders display a complete lack of traffic sense and responsibility while using roads designed for vehicles.....however, the Mustang driver is required by law to stop, render what assistance he can, identify himself and report the incident. That is unacceptable.
I agree that it would be the right thing to do. However, without knowing what happened, it's impossible to say if the driver was even aware that the skateboarder was injured.

If the skateboarder filed a claim with the police and ICBC he is clearly looking for compensation for his injuries. Skateboarders are clearly lacking a sense of personal responsibility for the risk they decide to take when riding on roads that are not meant for them.
__________________
Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another.
Marco911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:39 AM   #13
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO
 
Marco911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: US Bush-country
Posts: 7,738
Thanked 822 Times in 284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImFlying View Post
Vancouver laws states that bicycles and skateboards are suppose to be on the road if there isn't a line. How is skateboarding on the road anymore dangerous than bicycling? He was just on his way home from the bus stop, serves him right to get by a car? I don't get your logic. Maybe you should pull away from your mental bandwagon of skateboarding is bad and actually focus on the main point of identifying a hit and run.
Skateboards have tiny little wheels and have less control than a bike and may have a large speed differential with vehicles on the road. They should be banned from public streets and only allowed in designated skateboard areas.
__________________
Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another.
Marco911 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2014, 02:40 AM   #14
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO
 
Marco911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: US Bush-country
Posts: 7,738
Thanked 822 Times in 284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamFries View Post
It really annoys me when people say you cant stop on a skateboard. Fact is skateboards can stop just as fast as a bike. Skateboards aren't just used for skateparks, they're a mode of transportation just like bikes, scooters and roller blades. Should we say bikes should only be used at bike parks?
For the last time, skateboards are nowhere as safe or controllable as bikes.
__________________
Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another.
Marco911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:01 AM   #15
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
[QUOTE=Marco911;8468408]I agree that it would be the right thing to do. However, without knowing what happened, it's impossible to say if the driver was even aware that the skateboarder was injured.

If you re-read the OP, that should indicate that the driver was aware.

The guy hit him and just floored it right off, His wife yelled out his first name, Ronald.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:41 AM   #16
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Richmond
Posts: 4,992
Thanked 7,941 Times in 2,061 Posts
What the fuck is going on in this thread?

Zulutango, i don't even know why you bother sometimes with these people...
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2014, 01:25 PM   #17
WOAH...shut the music off...
 
GLOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,799
Thanked 4,706 Times in 1,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PARANOiA-R34 View Post
It's a good reminder for people to leave skateboarding to emptier side streets
as long as they are careful and safe. i see guys take up the entire street zig-zagging down a hill and blow through stop signs.
__________________
Feedback
http://www.revscene.net/forums/showthread.php?t=611711

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
Quote:
[04-06, 11:34]radiomanI'm doing happy hour with bj#3 today
[07-04, 10:27]radiomani need just the tip
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:50 PM   #18
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
What the fuck is going on in this thread?

Zulutango, i don't even know why you bother sometimes with these people...
I don't know why.......maybe I just miss the aggravation or something?
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2014, 01:57 PM   #19
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: burnaby
Posts: 1,871
Thanked 471 Times in 151 Posts
[quote=zulutango;8468424]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
I agree that it would be the right thing to do. However, without knowing what happened, it's impossible to say if the driver was even aware that the skateboarder was injured.

If you re-read the OP, that should indicate that the driver was aware.

The guy hit him and just floored it right off, His wife yelled out his first name, Ronald.
the lady could have just yelled at him because she thought they were really close to the skater.
__________________
Feedback 24-0-0
Hot Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:29 PM   #20
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: vancouver
Posts: 559
Thanked 248 Times in 87 Posts
absolutely no problem stopping quickly on a skateboard. "just use the friction of your dick against the concrete."

46_valentinor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2014, 06:19 PM   #21
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!
 
Inaii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: MoI
Posts: 6,554
Thanked 1,408 Times in 668 Posts
That's great that they show how to stop going slow, I want to see how they prove that skateboards can stop just as effectively as a bike on a hill. The nice thing about Poco is there's a skatepark where all the kids go, you hardly ever see them on the streets here.
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:46 PM   #22
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
[quote=Hot Karl;8468603]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post

the lady could have just yelled at him because she thought they were really close to the skater.

There ya go 320 1car!
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:46 PM   #23
Throw yo paws in da air!
 
XplicitLuder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: State of Trance
Posts: 5,035
Thanked 2,721 Times in 934 Posts
you guys need some common sense or should i leave ?
__________________

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts


2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:57 PM   #24
Old School RS
 
lowside67's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Port Moody
Posts: 4,124
Thanked 3,103 Times in 942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XplicitLuder View Post
you guys need some common sense or should i leave ?
As long as you aren't bringing any common sense like "skateboards can stop as fast as bikes" to this thread, it should be fine...
__________________
2011 BMW 128I
lowside67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:19 PM   #25
Throw yo paws in da air!
 
XplicitLuder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: State of Trance
Posts: 5,035
Thanked 2,721 Times in 934 Posts
maybe if they crash into a wall it might stop just as fast

in all seriousness...no, just no
__________________

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts


2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net