REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-12-2022, 09:46 AM   #701
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,474 Times in 543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bensta View Post
Most lordcos in the lower mainland have these in stock.

Revscene cost is $11.28 plus tax. Not a bad investment for a roadside emergency.
Sweet, thanks for the info!
Advertisement
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 09:54 PM   #702
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Digging this thread up. Recently put my second car back on the road, 2010 STi. It had quite a wobble at 97kmh but would mostly go away if you went faster. The oem wheels were old/curbed etc, tires were 10+ years old and they leaked. So I got new wheels and tires for it. Threw them on the other day but the vibration is still there. Less sure, and it’s moved up to about 105kmh. Let’s assume the wheels are correctly balanced.

Could a poor alignment cause a steering shimmy? [The alignment in my RS has always been shit but has not caused any poor driving characteristics, no vibes]. An alignment for the STi is not much money but I wouldn’t have it done until I replace the stock tophats that I can see some cracks in.

**edit**
Looking in the history I see some related bits. Probably more detail but I wrote down the abridged versions. previous owner kept every receipt, all dealer serviced so a while ago I made an abridged version on my phone. Some related stuff

- recently new motor/trans/shifter mounts and bushings. New wheels and tires
- 05/29/2020 winter swap, alignment,
- 07/18/2019 - oil change, LR wheel bearing/hub, front control bushings, sway bar endlinks/bushings
- 11/15/2018 - oil change, injector cleaner, oil additive, alignment, battery
- 03/08/2018 - ABDF oil change, oil additive fuel treatment, spark plugs, diff oil, lsd diff oil, “tune up kit”, alignment
- 01/23/2017 - RR wheel bearing/hub assembly

** edit 2**
I have no idea if this is normal. My STi has incredibly light steering. Single finger all the time and I don’t like it. It’s also extremely responsive steering with a quick rack ratio, so it feels like if I sneeze I could dart across four lanes of traffic. Even removing one hand to shift is enough to make the car wiggle within the lane. Is that normal for an STi? Or a big red flag?
Old 02-19-2022, 11:14 PM   #703
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,922 Times in 3,876 Posts
Seeing alignment, alignment, a bunch of bushings, alignment kinda sounds like the PO was chasing the same thing. Isn't it kinda odd to change control arm bushings and not do an alignment right after though?

If the top hats are shot how is the rest of the suspension? Also I'm just throwing out ideas but maybe take a peek at the CVs and driveshaft for a missing weight or debris?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 08:05 AM   #704
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

It's possible the tire balancer was out of calibration. Something most shops overlook.

Where is the vibration felt? Do you feel the vibration in the steering wheel? Seat?

The new tires are likely not bad, maybe a bent wheel. You could spin up the wheels and make sure they are all straight. You could have the wheel tire combo "roadforce" wheel balanced.

Or could be cv shafts, or driveshaft, maybe a driveshaft support bearing. Could be in the rear diff too, front diff is even possible. Check driveline for damage or missing weights, and check the diff and trans fluids.
Old 02-20-2022, 11:12 AM   #705

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
I suspect his balance is correct. He is the tire balancer. lol.

I hate weird handling issues. When I replaced my balljoints in my E36, steering tightened up big time. It could be a combo of things, your STi is fairly high mileage, no?
Old 02-20-2022, 01:43 PM   #706
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,507 Times in 4,310 Posts
Strut/shock mounts?
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 03:20 PM   #707

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Correct. Let me bullet point point answer

- alignment was done so frequently because he put 30+k km a year on the car and it was part of the service intervals. Fully dealer serviced and he just did what they said
- I feel it’s safe to say it did have an alignment with the LCA’s
- from my previous inspection all the bushings/components passed visual checks. Only bushing that needs replacing is one of the rear diff inserts
- vibration is felt through the steering wheel only. Granted I feel it may be exaggerated with the incredibly light steering
- doubt the wheels are bent as they’re brand new
- yes it’s high mileage, almost 280k now. I’d need someone who’s familiar with the GR chassis to take it for a hwy spin.
- original shocks and springs. I can see the front tophats have cracks in the rubber. I won’t do the alignment until those get replaced

For those interested here’s my abridged list I keep on my phone in the spoilers
Spoiler!

Old 02-20-2022, 07:13 PM   #708
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
** edit 2**
I have no idea if this is normal. My STi has incredibly light steering. Single finger all the time and I don’t like it. It’s also extremely responsive steering with a quick rack ratio, so it feels like if I sneeze I could dart across four lanes of traffic. Even removing one hand to shift is enough to make the car wiggle within the lane. Is that normal for an STi? Or a big red flag?
Low negative front caster.

Back to the vibration, I'd start with flipping tires front to back and see if it changes, even in the slightest. After that I'd try another set of front cv shafts. Tie rods, ball joints, everything else is okay up front? What brand tires?
Old 02-20-2022, 07:15 PM   #709
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I have to agree with @hud 91 gt...
Since you can feel it in the steering wheel, I would lean towards the front ball joints and/or inner/outer tie rods.

If cats always land on their feet, and toast always lands butter side down, what would happen if you strapped burnt toast to the back of a cat and dropped it?
boibuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 10:01 AM   #710
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,696 Times in 1,625 Posts
Question for y'all...

I have a 2021 Hyundai Palisade, and got winter tires+wheels+TPMS installed last November. When I drove off the lot, I noticed the tire pressures were reading 39 PSI at all 4 corners, so I checked with a gauge, and they were all at 36 PSI (recommended is 35).

So I figured it was just a 'reading error', and then checked again a week later, and found the same thing - I then forgot about it.

Yesterday I found a nail in a tire so while booking the appointment to get it fixed (same place I bought the setup), I asked about the TPMS, and they want $120 to 're-program'.

My understanding from Google is with newer Hyundai/Kias, there's no "programming" for the actual car. ie. the car will find each sensor and read/display them.

That said, is there a method of re-calibrating the sensors themselves? Reading 3~4 PSI over isn't a big deal, but it also does mean the sensor will trip later when the actual pressure is lower than the trigger point.

Any thoughts?
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 05:57 PM   #711
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
Question for y'all...

I have a 2021 Hyundai Palisade, and got winter tires+wheels+TPMS installed last November. When I drove off the lot, I noticed the tire pressures were reading 39 PSI at all 4 corners, so I checked with a gauge, and they were all at 36 PSI (recommended is 35).

So I figured it was just a 'reading error', and then checked again a week later, and found the same thing - I then forgot about it.

Yesterday I found a nail in a tire so while booking the appointment to get it fixed (same place I bought the setup), I asked about the TPMS, and they want $120 to 're-program'.

My understanding from Google is with newer Hyundai/Kias, there's no "programming" for the actual car. ie. the car will find each sensor and read/display them.

That said, is there a method of re-calibrating the sensors themselves? Reading 3~4 PSI over isn't a big deal, but it also does mean the sensor will trip later when the actual pressure is lower than the trigger point.

Any thoughts?
I work with Nissans but in general with all current models with direct TPMS, regardless of auto-learn or manual-learn, you should not need to re-program due to a low air code. Sometimes a hard code “flat tire” code will set if it really got that low and you need to use a scanner to clear but in general the light will clear once you have the correct pressure and drive around, or have a tool to activate the sensor.

Regarding sensor calibration, do you know if they used OEM sensors? I haven’t seen a sensor which you could calibrate... but what i’ve seen instead a BCM/TPMS setting to set which pressure to turn the light on. Checked the accuracy of your gauge with another, maybe?
Old 03-10-2022, 03:48 PM   #712
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,696 Times in 1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coneZONE View Post
I work with Nissans but in general with all current models with direct TPMS, regardless of auto-learn or manual-learn, you should not need to re-program due to a low air code. Sometimes a hard code “flat tire” code will set if it really got that low and you need to use a scanner to clear but in general the light will clear once you have the correct pressure and drive around, or have a tool to activate the sensor.

Regarding sensor calibration, do you know if they used OEM sensors? I haven’t seen a sensor which you could calibrate... but what i’ve seen instead a BCM/TPMS setting to set which pressure to turn the light on. Checked the accuracy of your gauge with another, maybe?
This was the reason. I am a stupid idiot.

But no, I don't think they used OEM. But they did use one that works, I know because I was quoted a $ for a set of monitors, but after they installed it they called (and showed me) that it was incompatible and I had to pay few more per sensor to get a different model.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote