REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-27-2018, 10:05 PM   #576
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,182 Times in 478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peturbo View Post
pitch black even in daytime? Sounds like display is working(changing display mode and detecting vehicle is in reverse) but not receiving a data signal from camera.
Replacing the camera seems to be the first thing to try. Other than the camera, all that's left is the wiring harness and display unit.
black in all situations. daytime, night time, lo-beam on, lo-beam off.
Display on the dash shows its normal info when not in reverse, so i don't think it's the display. Another reason why i don't think it's display is because the guidelines show up.

Anyone with a 2015 civic willing to let me test my camera on their car? I'll take mine out, then plug it into your car to test. Mine is a sedan, but I don't think that matters for testing purposes.
Advertisement
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 01:29 AM   #577
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Is it out of warranty already?... damn.
try checking the wires inside the loom, where it flexes where the trunk hinge area is. Anywhere the wire loom normally bends is a possible chance of broken wire.
I'm not familiar with any service menus or self-diag procedures, but i found this https://www.civinfo.com/forum/how-gu...ll-models.html and maybe it can help if you can check it before you replace anything...

if the wiring checks out ok, i agree the likely failed part may be the camera itself. Low chance of being the screen/audio unit assembly.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-28-2018, 09:12 PM   #578
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,904 Times in 3,867 Posts
Depending on how accessible things are I'd check the continuity of the video signal wire from the camera to the head unit and check for power and ground at the camera.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:46 AM   #579
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,582 Times in 4,317 Posts
What shops still test alternators, out of the car?

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 11:24 AM   #580
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Oh. I had my alternator checked by a guy off 12th near maintstreet. Tested and new components installed in an hour or two. I was
So fricken impressed. Good price too. I’ll google maps it. Middle eastern guy ran the joint, but what he called “the surgeon” I think was a Vietnamese guy. I forgot to leave a google review I was so impressed haha.

Edit

Ashnat Starters and Alternators
541 E Broadway, Vancouver, BC V5T 1X4
This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2018, 05:23 PM   #581
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,800 Times in 3,897 Posts
^does your receipt say how much for the test by itself?

i ran into insufficient juice to start the motor even with only 5-10 minutes of HID low-beam on
changed the battery
now not enough juice even after 2 minutes of radio?!
dash cam parking mode cuts off after battery drops below 12.4v

how do I investigate what's draining my battery vs an alternator dying
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:36 PM   #582

Thanked 1,182 Times in 478 Posts
You have a multimeter? If so, idle the car, should be around 14 volts.
What you using to cut off dash cam? I've had a power magic pro fail, causing parasitic draw
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:42 PM   #583
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,800 Times in 3,897 Posts
it's a higher end Lukas unit and has the cut-off built in, I will turn off parking mode and observe
edit: at most though, it records maybe an hour or three in parking mode...so unless it's still drawing power when off it's likely not the issue

Last edited by twitchyzero; 09-17-2018 at 06:06 PM.
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:14 PM   #584

Thanked 14,753 Times in 3,868 Posts
Brighouse electric in Richmond near the river rock should still bench test IIRC
Old 09-28-2018, 08:57 PM   #585

2005 Matrix XR automatic (1ZZ-FE) is refusing to crank. Trying to jump it had no effect, the battery puts out 12V, there's 12V to the main starter post at all times and 12V on the trigger wire when turned to Start, but the starter does absolutely nothing (no clunks or clicks or anything). I tried triggering the starter directly (jumper from main post to trigger) and adding a temporary ground from the block to the battery and nothing at all from the starter.

Is it safe to say the starter is pooched and buy a new one or is there anything else I should try first?

edit: I yanked it out since it's super easy, using some wire and the battery the solenoid seems to work fine as the gear moves in and out? The thick wire from the solenoid to the actual motor is pretty corroded though.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:

Last edited by underscore; 09-28-2018 at 10:42 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:41 PM   #586
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

There should be a starter solenoid replacement contacts kit you can get from Toyota, iirc....
I never knew until after i replaced a few starters lol...
Common click but no crank on the Corollas and Matrixes with the 1ZZ-FE
Old 09-29-2018, 08:57 PM   #587

I don't even get a click, just the auxiliary circuits shutting off and the hum of the fuel pump.

Looking at the online list price for the solenoid and knowing how much the dealer here marks stuff up I can get a complete Denso reman'd starter (Denso is the OEM supplier) from RockAuto for the same price. I can find solenoid kits on RockAuto but they're brands I've never heard of and the Denso starter is only $35 more. They also don't look to come with the cable to connect the solenoid to the motor and with how corroded the old one looks I don't want to reuse it.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-30-2018, 05:42 AM   #588
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,582 Times in 4,317 Posts
Sounds like the plunger disc or contacts in the solenoid are bad.

If the solenoid actuates with 12v and the motor spins with 12v, independently but not simultaneously, the disc or contacts in the solenoid aren't connecting 12v from the batt terminal to the starter motor.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:11 PM   #589

My life seems to be constant mechanical issues, this time it's an AN fitting going to an oil cooler and I know nothing about AN stuff. I didn't build these lines so I can't speak to how it was put together, but basically the seam in this picture marked by a 3 (where #1 and #4 meet) seems quite sloppy and the leak will vary as I move the cooler around. Is there anything I can adjust or do I need a new line/fitting? I tightened up #4 to #7 but looking at the diagram I don't think that would have any impact.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-25-2018, 10:02 AM   #590
I don't get it

Looks like you will have to replace the fitting. I'm not familiar with the type of fitting you have but I would say that #3 is a steel ring to allow #1 to pivot independent on the #4 and 7 body. The heat from the transmission probably has hardened the #2 o-rings and they are leaking. You will need to replace the hose too unless you have enough length to cut for a new connection.
sleepywheel is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2018, 01:11 PM   #591

That's what I figured, the stupid thing is that it's the ones that are at the cooler end that are leaking, and my oil temps typically stay pretty low. I need to shorten these lines anyways so it's not a huge deal, just annoying.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-25-2018, 11:39 PM   #592
I don't get it

Yes, it is a pain to have to remove the hose and change the fitting, but it's something to keep you busy in your spare time .

Don't forget to use compressed air to blow out the hose after you change the fitting. Some hydraulic places shoot a foam plug through the hose to clean out the rubber grit from installing the main part of the fitting.
sleepywheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:43 AM   #593

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
This is an aftermarket AN fitting?

The ones I built, are literally a rubber hose (steel braided cover), which slides over #4. Then #7 is slide over top of the hose and tightened down. If it’s a swivel joint, and leaking from the “swivel”, I’d say your in for a fitting replacement.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:40 PM   #594

My problem is I have no spare time haha. It's taken me months to get the time to get done what I used to bang out in a day in the garage. I've had to assemble a couple fittings before but not one of these swivel ones, I usually flush them with some cheap version of whatever fluid it's for to get the crud out. If I'm lucky I can let gravity drain some oil out to flush it and I won't have to fully remove the line.

$@hud I think that's how these lines are too, looking at it and this diagram more they're the same as the 2 piece fittings, just with a swivel piece instead of a solid lump with male or female threads for #4. It's an aftermarket fitting so I assume they're all designed roughly the same way.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-21-2018, 04:56 PM   #595

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
Hoping some of you Honda gurus can help me. My Integra had an intermittent start issue where sometimes it wouldnt start when it sat in the rain for a while or it would stall when I drive through a car wash (unless I rev it up).

I was going to drive it out the other day and it drove fine for the first trip and I parked it at home. 2nd trip, I drive it out, rpm dips and it stalls outside my driveway. Now, I am unable to get it to start. There is no spark coming to the spark plugs. I've replaced the distributor cap, checked the grounds on top of the thermostat and the one on the valve cover (frayed ground wiring) and still no luck.

I noticed there was some brown rust like corrosion in the dizzy behind the dust cover. I'm thinking I might need a new one?

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 06:06 PM   #596
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

There's a bunch of youtube videos on how to check your ignitor module and ignition coil both can be replaced instead of buying the whole distributor.
blackGS? is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-21-2018, 08:08 PM   #597

I'm just wondering if there might be another issue other than the dizzy? It just sounds strange cause I haven't had any misfiring issues.

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
Old 12-22-2018, 08:03 AM   #598
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

try lightly sanding that "brown rust" off the contacts and see if it makes a difference. if no spark plugs are getting spark, it has to be the ignition coil or module, unless its the bad ground... uve already narrowed it down so run some tests before u blindly throw some money into it.
i-vtecyo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-22-2018, 09:00 AM   #599

If you want to rule out grounding, use jumper cables to make a couple temporary grounds right to the battery.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 12-22-2018, 11:13 AM   #600

Just made a ground from the valve cover to battery since the wire was frayed but still no luck. Going to order a new ICM and coil. Hopefully that fixes everything.

Note: I just checked the ICM and coil again, the metal around the ICM has this fiberous reddish brown corrosion around it. I'm guessing water may have gotten in

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION