REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 10:16 PM   #1176
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
the entire team underperformed with torts

thats kinda shitty
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2014, 10:22 PM   #1177
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I've got no problem, but like I've expressed before, until Somone does what MG did, everyone else is trash comparatively IMO

Obviously a lot of the Lu shit etc was at least partially on ownership, with a bunch of other shit probably on them as well

MG came into van, laid out a plan, and banged it out nearly to a T. He said were gonna build a team that plays up tempo hard forechecking possession hockey backed by a good D

He did exactly that, won two presidents trophies, and was 4 goals away from a cup. Relatively speaking he's by far the best GM we've ever had because when Quin was GM he didn't promise shit, nor did he build the "best" team, he got lucky and the team over preformed.
Let's get something straight here, MG inherited that team. The core was in their prime and the coach he also inherited.

Did he do some good things that put us over the top to get to the finals? Yes. Adding Ehrhoff for that steal of a trade was fantastic for the twins. Key signings like Sammuelson was great.

But the thing is MG fucked up more then he did good. Letting Ehrhoff walk instead of Bieksa, trading for Ballard and Booth, that Sturm fiasco and that whole Hodgson mess. He almost let the twins walk as UFA's that year he got hired stating on radio "I'm not sure they're the core guys we want to build around". If they walked I guarantee you that finals run would never have happened and MG would have been gone a lot sooner.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-02-2014, 10:29 PM   #1178
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,814 Times in 8,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0unce. [?] View Post
For what we pay Burrows and last season aside, he's reliable and consistent. I'd like him to stay. He had one bad season production wise and it was plagued with injuries. I'll let it go for now.
I agree, that's why I said "if anything"... as in, if he's not going to play for the Canucks, it won't be because he was traded. He's not a liability but at the same time, I don't see why anyone would be interested in him right now.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:33 PM   #1179
I don't get it

If it's true benning asked burr to waive his ntc, I hope that won't affect burrows commitment to the team. Not a superstar, but does everything and play with heart and grit each game, I think he's actually one of the better bang for the buck player on the team.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2014, 11:09 PM   #1180
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
I still can't fucking believe that Higgins and Hansen both got limited/modified NTC
another gillis turd move. Both making $2.5M as third liners too.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:14 PM   #1181

Quote:
Originally Posted by cow20xx View Post
If it's true benning asked burr to waive his ntc, I hope that won't affect burrows commitment to the team. Not a superstar, but does everything and play with heart and grit each game, I think he's actually one of the better bang for the buck player on the team.
judging from all the plugs that got over $4M+ yesterday during UFA, Burrow's contract is a steal now.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:20 PM   #1182
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuff99 View Post
judging from all the plugs that got over $4M+ yesterday during UFA, Burrow's contract is a steal now.
It's a steal if he can go back to his 20 goals 50 pt days. If he continues his poor form from last year, that contract is a mess.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:25 PM   #1183
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
Burrows should stay just because of the 4 years $2 million contract he had before.

I believe Burrows will come back strong next season. Last year was just shitty for him with all the injuries...

As for tanking to "rebuild", that shit never works, you always need to have a winning attitude and don't end up being the oilers.

Look at Anaheim, after Pronger/Neidermeyer left, after their cup win, they missed the playoffs during those times, they restock with prospects, develop them, and they are there to challenge again. Did they tank?

Look at Detroit, similar style, kept their old guys in Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Now they don't need Bertuzzi and Alfredsson cuz their kids can come and play. Did they tank?

They all took their time with their prospects. Let them slowly learn the game and how to be a professional. That's why Benning is signing all these guys, so players compete for spots. Kassian needs to fight for top 6 mins. Horvat needs to fight to get on the team. Same with everyone else. Remember that one season where Colorado tanked like crazy, and I think it was Giguere who said some ppl (referring to younger crowd) were more excited to go to their "Vegas" trip than thinking about ending their season on a winning streak. That's the crap you don't want on the team.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:56 PM   #1184
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
Burrows should stay just because of the 4 years $2 million contract he had before.

I believe Burrows will come back strong next season. Last year was just shitty for him with all the injuries...

As for tanking to "rebuild", that shit never works, you always need to have a winning attitude and don't end up being the oilers.

Look at Anaheim, after Pronger/Neidermeyer left, after their cup win, they missed the playoffs during those times, they restock with prospects, develop them, and they are there to challenge again. Did they tank?

Look at Detroit, similar style, kept their old guys in Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Now they don't need Bertuzzi and Alfredsson cuz their kids can come and play. Did they tank?

They all took their time with their prospects. Let them slowly learn the game and how to be a professional. That's why Benning is signing all these guys, so players compete for spots. Kassian needs to fight for top 6 mins. Horvat needs to fight to get on the team. Same with everyone else. Remember that one season where Colorado tanked like crazy, and I think it was Giguere who said some ppl (referring to younger crowd) were more excited to go to their "Vegas" trip than thinking about ending their season on a winning streak. That's the crap you don't want on the team.

Werd. Honestly, Burrows is the only player in the team that still "contributes" wether he's scoring or not; and that's why for better or for worse, he's still one of the fan favourites.

I know with that kind of price tag, people only measure value with one metric, but at least when that metric is not satisfied, he can at least give a lot in consolation.

Let's take a look at the Sedins in comparison. When they're not scoring or registering points, what else is that $6M buying you? Defense? Forechecking? Digging up loose pucks? Goalie screen? Penalty Killing? No, nada. And honestly, I'm in the camp that believes a huge part of the Sedin's succes is in part because of Burrows' work. Because he's the one that does all of the above.

Last edited by Noir; 07-03-2014 at 12:01 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-03-2014, 04:11 AM   #1185

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Vrbatas contract comes with a ntc of 8 teams

will always remember him as the guy who slashed henrik and ended the iron man steak
Old 07-03-2014, 05:03 AM   #1186
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post
Vrbatas contract comes with a ntc of 8 teams

will always remember him as the guy who slashed henrik and ended the iron man steak
I thought it was Hanzal?
This post thanked by:
Old 07-03-2014, 05:47 AM   #1187
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
IMO you don't turn your back on a player like Burr due to one poor season. Hopefully he'll bounce back.

Higgins was one of our most consistent players, I hope he stays as well. It seems like every week there is a new witch hunt around here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
This post thanked by:
Old 07-03-2014, 06:29 AM   #1188

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdizzle_996 View Post
I thought it was Hanzal?
You're right it is Hanzal

Guess Vrbata is good in my books....for now
Old 07-03-2014, 06:31 AM   #1189
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,814 Times in 8,189 Posts
... for now
Old 07-03-2014, 06:43 AM   #1190
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

So we have 6.7mill in cap left and still have Kass/Tanev/Vey to sign... I kinda want Legwand/Ott as well or take a chance at MDZ IF we had more cap space
Old 07-03-2014, 07:16 AM   #1191
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 411ken View Post
So we have 6.7mill in cap left and still have Kass/Tanev/Vey to sign... I kinda want Legwand/Ott as well or take a chance at MDZ IF we had more cap space

lol we're swimming in bottom six forwards already

i wanna see them sign Kassian and Vey first cus I know their contract will be relatively easy to negotiate.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:23 AM   #1192
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
Markstroms 1.2m or whatever it is will come off the books. So they have 7.Xm to tinker with. I still think that one more salary dump move is coming
Old 07-03-2014, 08:01 AM   #1193

Looking at contracts handed out this year Tanev will prob get around 4mil, kassian around 2.5mil.. Lots of ppl gonna be pissed if it ends up being burrows that gets dumped, wasn't even given a chance by torts last year
Old 07-03-2014, 08:10 AM   #1194

Tanev's contract is pretty tricky, especially by the way negotiations went last year but $4M is pretty much the maximum worth.

Kassian at $2.5M ... lol maybe but at a short term deal i'd guess at around $2M per give or take $200k

I dunno about Vey, guy put up some pretty solid AHL numbers but no NHL experience so probably gonna be at $1.5 give or take $300k depending on term.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:22 AM   #1195

if you dont think kassian can get 2.5mil when bolland just got 5.5, pouliot got 4 as ufas... then look at what power forward rfas usually recieve, backes 2.5, brown 3.1, berglund 2.1, stewart 2.8, . yea he may not be as good as the first 2 but include inflation and its there
Old 07-03-2014, 08:23 AM   #1196
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
perfect music to go with the kid being drafted

Old 07-03-2014, 08:38 AM   #1197
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
lol we're swimming in bottom six forwards already

i wanna see them sign Kassian and Vey first cus I know their contract will be relatively easy to negotiate.
haha true that.. I know it's a long shot but imagine if we get another top 6 (like E. Kane)

Sedin/Sedin/Vrbata
Kane/Bonino/Kassian
Higgins/Vey/Burrows
Matthias/Richardson/Dorsett

I'll be happy with that line up.. but we all know Benning hates "me first" players
Old 07-03-2014, 08:46 AM   #1198

Kane has such a good contract lol but the price would be pretty steep. I'd rather we hold on to our picks and prospects.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:47 AM   #1199

How much would it cost to resign Linden Vey?
Old 07-03-2014, 08:50 AM   #1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
Kane has such a good contract lol but the price would be pretty steep. I'd rather we hold on to our picks and prospects.
Kane is worth it.