REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:45 PM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Woman guilty in 2 highway deaths after stopping for ducks

No good deed goes unpunished.

CBC News - Emma Czornobaj guilty in 2 highway deaths after stopping for ducks
Quote:
Quebec woman convicted of criminal negligence and dangerous driving causing deaths of Andre Roy, 50, daughter

The Canadian Press

Posted:Jun 20, 2014 11:35 AM ET
Last Updated:Jun 20, 2014 4:05 PM ET

Emma Czornobaj was convicted in the deaths of two people after she stopped her car on Highway 30, south of Montreal, to help some ducks. Graham Hughes/The Canadian Press

A woman who stopped to help a group of ducklings on the side of the road in 2010 has been found guilty of causing the deaths of a motorcyclist and his passenger daughter who slammed into her parked car on a Montreal-area highway.

Emma Czornobaj was convicted Friday on two counts of criminal negligence causing death and two counts of dangerous driving causing death.

Czornobaj, 25, was charged after Andre Roy, 50, and his daughter, Jessie, 16, were killed.

Roy's motorcycle slammed into Czornobaj's car, which was stopped in the left lane of a provincial highway in Candiac, south of Montreal.

His daughter was riding on the back of the motorcycle when the collision happened on June 27, 2010.

Quebec motorist accused in two deaths said she was helping ducks
Pauline Volikakis, the wife and mother of the two victims, was in court to hear the verdict.

She was following her family on her own motorcycle when the collision occurred.

"My feelings are that it is time that we go on. This will not bring back my loved ones," she said.

The trial heard that Czornobaj, who had three years of driving experience at the time, had stopped to rescue ducklings on the side of the road.

The professed animal lover told the court that she did not see the ducklings' mother anywhere and planned to capture them and take them home.

Czornobaj's lawyer said the defence will be pushing for no jail time because of the lack of criminal intent.
Advertisement
Old 06-20-2014, 12:49 PM   #2
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Great, now I'm fucking depressed and need alcohol and drugs
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:52 PM   #3
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,904 Times in 3,867 Posts
There has to be more to this story, how does a stopped car being rear ended result in the stopped car being guilty?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:56 PM   #4
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,036 Times in 276 Posts
When it says she stopped In the left lane, is that the left emergency lane or would that be like parking in the HOV on the highway?
1989 Yamaha Virago XV535 (sold)
1994 Ford Ranger (sold)
1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon (sold)
2014 Toyota Corolla (loaner)
1996 Isuzu Trooper (RIP🔥)
2003 Jetta Wolfie (sold)
1963 (T)rusty Stude Lark (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaznviper View Post
kunoman is still alive! not raped by oil riggers yet....
kunoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:57 PM   #5
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2014, 01:00 PM   #6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

i hope she's feeling an appropriate amount of guilt, but not enough to make her kill herself in the future.

i don't know how'd i'd feel if i was friends or family with the victims. talk about senseless tragedy.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:01 PM   #7

well this is pretty hard case.
it's not like she was texting, DUI, street racing or anything like that.

People do kill ducks because ducks do go across the street like this on the video.

if she stopped to help ducks and prevent people from crashing into it, ironically it worked out oppositely, well i dont know.
because she had no intention of making road more dangerous.

would you leave ducks there or stop your car and make sure other people don't run into it?
i know the video is not on highway, but still..

if she deserves jail time, maybe like 30 days or so. Not 5-10 years like DUI.

This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-20-2014, 01:04 PM   #8
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
There has to be more to this story, how does a stopped car being rear ended result in the stopped car being guilty?
There is more information in this article Emma Czornobaj found guilty for causing deaths of two bikers when she stopped to save ducks on highway | National Post

Quote:
During the trial, witness Martine Tessier testified that she saw Czornobaj on the left-hand side of the highway, bent over and motioning to some ducks.

Czornobaj, a professed animal lover, told the court that she did not see the ducklings’ mother anywhere and planned to capture them and take them home.

“I shouted to my [three] children: ‘What is she doing there? She’s going to get killed,’” Tessier said, adding that Czornobaj was standing on a portion of the highway not wide enough to be used as a shoulder.

Tessier said she noticed that the parked car did not have its hazards on and the driver’s door was open. As she looked back in her rear-view mirror, Tessier said, she could see the back end of Czornobaj’s car lift up in the air.

“I saw a body go over the car. It looked like a rag doll,” Tessier said. “I shouted to my daughter to call 911.”
Seems like she was found guilty because she stopped her car on a highway without hazard lights on, leaving the door open and in a dangerous manner I guess? I also wonder if this happened in the evening or dark/low light situation as the pictures from the article of the accident scene seems to be at night. That would be pretty stupid and dangerous to stop your car on a highway at night, blocking a lane without any hazard lights on.
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2014, 01:10 PM   #9
Welcome to Planet Power ///M

Thanked 2,979 Times in 527 Posts
bitch was probably thinking about all the likes on facebook she was going to get after saving the ducks. what a fucking moron.
CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-20-2014, 01:11 PM   #10

Guilty, but no jail time due to lack of criminal intent.

Emma Czornobaj guilty in 2 highway deaths after stopping for ducks - News - MSN CA
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-20-2014, 01:15 PM   #11
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Hmmm...

-3 years driving experience.
-Stopped car in fast lane.
-Without hazards on.
-With drivers door open.

For ducks.

She did end up the cause of death for 2 people, which should be punishable. Yet did it like any other mentally handicapped person would've. (Hmmm.. Doesn't say she's retarded though )

I vote probation and she is never allowed to drive again.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2014, 01:16 PM   #12

makes me rethink about getting this one.. I wonder if they have survived if they had this

Old 06-20-2014, 01:19 PM   #13
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
Guilty, but no jail time due to lack of criminal intent.

Emma Czornobaj guilty in 2 highway deaths after stopping for ducks - News - MSN CA

....her heart was in the right place. It really was...

...but goddamn that was a poor decision
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2014, 03:34 PM   #14
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

accused is pretty hawt

....that's all I have to say
StanleyR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-20-2014, 03:40 PM   #15
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Now here's a question... Suppose this woman didn't stop to help the ducks and kept going. The motorcyclist travelling behind her would then have come across said ducks as they were on the road. Would this have been one of those stupid Final Destination type of scenarios where the biker (and passenger) would have died anyway due to either hitting one of the ducks or from attempting to emergency turn around them? Obviously it's purely hypothetical but it's an interesting thought nonetheless.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:56 PM   #16
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
lesson learnt, she'll either not stop for ducks next time or know to pull over properly and have your signals on and all that crap.

going to prison will serve no purpose.

there are a lot of idiots in this thread.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2014, 04:13 PM   #17
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
I almost mowed into a family of ducks, yesterday. They are quite brazen in Langley, it seems. They were crossing over from Ricky's to the bank, and then I guess onto the liquor store. Stupid ducks. Bank was closed, and they'll give you cash back at the liquor store, too :P

Last edited by Presto; 06-20-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Presto is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2014, 04:35 PM   #18

Thanked 2,110 Times in 602 Posts
Sadly if someone anywhere ran over ducks especially if there were ducklings, even if it was unsafe to stop, that person would be vilified on social media and whatnot for being heartless and cruel and more than likely be charged with animal cruelty and do time.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:48 PM   #19
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
lesson learnt, she'll either not stop for ducks next time or know to pull over properly and have your signals on and all that crap.

going to prison will serve no purpose.

there are a lot of idiots in this thread.
Lesson learnt at the expense of 2 people... yah i don't think people are idiots because of their opinion. I mean if that was my family who died due to her dumb ass actions, I think she should be punished. If we aren't fully accountable for our conscious actions, then why even have laws. But yes, i do agree that going to prison wouldn't solve a purpose or help the victims family feel better. But there has to be some consequence sever enough to recognize the fact that 2 lives were lost due to her stupidity.
van_city23 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2014, 05:13 PM   #20
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Makes no sense how the motorcyclist didnt see the car at all.

If it was dark wouldnt the car's headlights be on anyways? Even car door being open would lead to interior lights turning on.

How fast was the motorcycle going for the "back end of the car to lift up in the air"

21' 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
23' VW MK8 GTI 40th Anniversary
18' Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
21' Ducati Streetfighter V4 S

--
16' Mineral Grey F80 BMW M3 6MT SOLD -11/22
22' Halo Toyota GR86 6MT SOLD -11/22
12' Phantom Black - B8 Audi S4 - SOLD 04/19
07' WDP Acura TL Type-S - A-Spec/ATLP/H&R - SOLD 12/17
18' Matte Silver Ice - Triumph 765 Street Triple RS - SOLD 4/21
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2014, 05:17 PM   #21
$_$
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by van_city23 View Post
Lesson learnt at the expense of 2 people... yah i don't think people are idiots because of their opinion. I mean if that was my family who died due to her dumb ass actions, I think she should be punished. If we aren't fully accountable for our conscious actions, then why even have laws. But yes, i do agree that going to prison wouldn't solve a purpose or help the victims family feel better. But there has to be some consequence sever enough to recognize the fact that 2 lives were lost due to her stupidity.
Isn't having two deaths on your conscience not consequence enough? She's going to have to live with that the rest of her life. The images of the car crash , the victims family, learning about who those people were and what they left behind burned into her memory.

That should be punishment enough for any normal, sane, non-socio/psychopathical person.
$_$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:24 PM   #22
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by van_city23 View Post
err yah, she was in the involvement of a scenario that caused the death of 2 people and didn't intend it. she has to live with that for the rest of her life. isn't that severe enough?

unless you assume her guilt functions differently and she feels nothing at all and you need to punish her so she can realise what she has done.

I don't think she's that stupid. I'm pretty sure she knows what she did and she doesn't intend to do it again.

that being said. she is only 50% responsible. it takes two to tango. this isn't a stray bullet case. this is a highway, where all motor vehicle operators are licenced and have met a level where the govt deems they are smart enough to be aware of their surroundings and able avoid collisions.

i don't know about you, unless this was at night and they were going really fast, and the parked car had no lights on at all. there isn't really an excuse.

she shouldn't of been parked.
but he should have seen her and avoided the collision.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2014, 06:00 PM   #23

Kinda curious how far back the motorcycle was when she had pulled over.
Quote:
Originally posted by phatboyWhat about the 2nd period?
flawless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:01 PM   #24
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,038 Times in 2,075 Posts
Unfortunate situation, but human life > duck life.

/thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:05 PM   #25
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I also think there's some details missing. If the posted speed was 90 than Emma was probably going that fast but she had time to stop her car, get out and tend to the ducks all before the motorcycle crashed into her car. The witness said she saw Emma on the side of the road so surely it couldn't have been pitched black. Unfortunately the motorcyclist was probably not paying enough attention (not to mention going way too fast with his child riding along) if he plowed into her car going between 105-121kms.