REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2014, 04:15 PM   #26
I bringith the lowerballerith
 
H.Specter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: y
Posts: 1,199
Thanked 4,569 Times in 572 Posts
your wife's insurance policy gets sued as a result of this incident. ICBC "jumps in her shoes" to defend her.
Advertisement
H.Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:15 PM   #27
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.
 
Mr.HappySilp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,550
Thanked 1,666 Times in 848 Posts
Is not that hard to fake injuries if you have the time. Just go to the doctors like once or twice a week and keep saying this hurt and that hurt and you can't sleep blah blah blah.

There are lawyers who live on ICBC claims because is easy money.
Mr.HappySilp is online now   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-16-2014, 04:21 PM   #28
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
Timpo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: ...
Posts: 20,379
Thanked 4,550 Times in 1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I thought they can't sue your wife directly since she is covered by ICBC or the insurance company you guys are using?
yeah, just contact ICBC, they will fight against the guy on behalf of your wife.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:33 PM   #29
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
Timpo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: ...
Posts: 20,379
Thanked 4,550 Times in 1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Is not that hard to fake injuries if you have the time. Just go to the doctors like once or twice a week and keep saying this hurt and that hurt and you can't sleep blah blah blah.

There are lawyers who live on ICBC claims because is easy money.
Just did a quick Google search

Why Frequent Doctor Visits Do Not Increase The Value of Personal Injury Claims | ICBC Personal Injury Claims Lawyer Erik Magraken | Victoria & Vancouver Island BC

Why Frequent Doctor Visits Don't Increase The Value Of Personal Injury Claims

As previously discussed, frequent doctor visits in and of themselves add no value to a personal injury claim. Seeing a doctor simply to ‘paper’ a personal injury claim really does nothing to add to the amount of compensation a claimant is entitled to receive not to mention that it creates a costly and unnecessary burden on the medical system. Reasons for judgement were released this week by the BC Supreme Court, Vancouver Registry, demonstrating that medical visits to address ‘inconsequential‘ matters with a view to assisting a personal injury claim are frowned upon.

In this week’s case (Hough v. Wyatt) the Plaintiff was involved in a 2009 collision. He sued seeking over $350,000 in damages. The Court largely rejected the Plaintiff’s claim finding that while the collision did cause some injuries these were little more than a ‘minor degree‘ of aggravation of pre-existing injuries. Non-Pecuniary damages of $15,000 were assessed.

In the course of the judgement Madam Justice Stromberg-Stein had provided the following critical comments:

[9] Mr. Hough was a very difficult witness. He is a poor historian, which is understandable given his extensive medical history. However, he bears the burden of proof. He was argumentative, abrasive, sometimes rude, often unresponsive, and many times inconsistent in his evidence. Mr. Hough clearly demonstrates an attitude of entitlement to insurance benefits, at one point indicating he doesn’t understand the problem here, it is only insurance money. He reports everything, no matter how inconsequential, even a broken fingernail, so if there is a problem in the future, he can get compensation. The trouble for Mr. Hough is he was a medical disaster before the accident, and the defendant is not obliged to pay for all that ails him or ailed him. Mr. Hough’s pre-existing medical condition, his original position, as outlined in the evidence of Dr. Waiz, and what Mr. Hough can recall, would have manifested debilitating effects in any event, regardless of the accident. His original condition would have detrimentally affected him even absent the defendant’s negligence. The defendant is not required to compensate him for debilitating effects not caused by the accident….

[14] Dr. Waiz’s evidence is unsatisfactory on many levels, not the least of which his manner in which he managed Mr. Hough’s care with increasing doses of narcotics. His records are unreliable. He blames computer programs and computer generated forms. He has been willing to fill out reports to benefit Mr. Hough, for example, claiming all Mr. Hough’s drugs were WCB-related so Mr. Hough could be compensated, and claiming a wrist fracture was a WCB injury due to ongoing weakness and pain in his right leg. This is the same broken wrist that Mr. Hough now claims was caused by the accident for the same reason. Where it has suited Mr. Hough, Dr. Waiz has reported to WCB Mr. Hough is unable to work in any capacity. Now he was reporting to this court that, because of the accident, Mr. Hough cannot work. The concern is he is parroting what Mr. Hough wants him to say.

While it is true that serious injuries warrant higher damage awards than minor injuries and that serious injuries typically result in more medical appointments, the mere number of doctor’s visits in and of themselves do not assist in valuing a personal injury claim. You can click here for a short discussion addressing the factors Court’s often consider when assessing non-pecuniary damages (money for pain and suffering) in a BC personal injury lawsuit.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:34 PM   #30
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
Timpo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: ...
Posts: 20,379
Thanked 4,550 Times in 1,368 Posts
Here's another one
http://bc-injury-law.com/blog/tag/medical-marijuana

Frequency of Doctor Visits

The last point of interest deals with the Plaintiff’s frequency of doctor’s visits I have canvassed this topic previously. In this week’s case the Plaintiff pointed to having 128 doctor visits as supporting his claim for injury. The Court, however, found that there was no reasonable justification for this and instead came to the conclusion that the Plaintiff was simply papering his claim. The following observation was made by Justice Sigurdson:

[65] Up to June 2012, the plaintiff saw Dr. Irene Chan, a general practitioner, 128 times for his injuries. From July 8, 2008 to June 2012, the complaints he made to her were virtually the same on each occasion. Dr. Chen was not called as an expert witness but testified simply with respect to some of the observations she made…

[107] It is difficult to know what to make of the fact that the plaintiff attended his general practitioner for 128 visits and appears to have repeated his symptoms almost without change on each visit. He explained in his testimony that he went to his doctor to report changes in his condition; however his doctor noted each of his attendances with the plaintiff reporting no changes. The evidence left me with the impression that the plaintiff was creating a record of his injuries for his claim as there appears to be no reasonable medical justification for the number of attendances before his family doctor. Rather than supporting his credibility, this evidence of the numerous attendances on his family doctor left me with the opposite impression.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:00 PM   #31
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: BC
Posts: 3,559
Thanked 3,813 Times in 957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
4.61 million (Jan 1, 2014)
British Columbia, Population

lol.

3.47million bucks each person eh?

I like that idea. HAH....

edit: i need a new calculator that goes up to 9 digits.
u need a calculator to tell u that ur number clearly made no sense?
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-16-2014, 05:52 PM   #32
I have named my kids VIC and VLS
 
Hondaracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Off-Topic
Posts: 27,742
Thanked 7,286 Times in 2,578 Posts
moral of the story? When you're gonna hit someone, make it count.
__________________
Dank memes cant melt steel beams
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-16-2014, 06:12 PM   #33
RS controls my life!
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: D
Posts: 767
Thanked 97 Times in 52 Posts
Instead of raising rates. Why doesn't icbc make it cheaper for drivers to purchase insurance if you buy a finevu camera.

This way, any small fender benders would be dismissed as fraud for the claimer.

But we should be proactively putting camera's on are our cars so are family members don't get sued by scammers.
FS1992EG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:39 PM   #34
I bringith the lowerballerith
 
Speed2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: yvr
Posts: 1,100
Thanked 497 Times in 202 Posts
Lol, am I the only one that saw the title and went, "F#$%, insurance rates are going up by 26%!!!!"

Then read the article and saw that insurance rates HAD ALREADY gone up by 26% since 2003. Not that it's much better.
__________________
www.instagram.com/alex.soo/
Speed2K is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-16-2014, 07:34 PM   #35
Ready to be Man handled by RS!
 
dangonay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 1,798
Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
They also seem to be more eager to write cars off now than before, but that could just be me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
I think that might just be due to the fact that cars are built more like disposable razors now, then they were many years ago.
Cars aren't built to be disposable - they're built to be sacrificial. For example, crumple zones are designed to absorb the impact of a collision so the forces applied to passengers are reduced.

Bottom line is cars are replaceable, people are not. Better to have a $30k car thrown away and passengers with minor injuries than a car that's still repairable and a passenger with $100K (or more) in medical bills and on-going physical therapy.

It is unbelievably expensive to "repair" people.
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-16-2014, 08:39 PM   #36
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!
 
Ludepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,365
Thanked 583 Times in 176 Posts
Shouldn't ICBC be a revenue neutral government insurance company?
Why are profits being siphoned out and used in other government expenditures.

Stupid rhetorical question I know...
Ludepower is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-16-2014, 08:57 PM   #37
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
Mike Oxbig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,143
Thanked 2,533 Times in 904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v_tec View Post


Y u no include GTR

Spoiler!
PLEASE post the picture of the driver sitting on the chair after the crash
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:10 PM   #38
what manner of phaggotry is this
 
RRxtar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Kelownafornia
Posts: 17,972
Thanked 4,933 Times in 1,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed2K View Post
Lol, am I the only one that saw the title and went, "F#$%, insurance rates are going up by 26%!!!!"

Then read the article and saw that insurance rates HAD ALREADY gone up by 26% since 2003. Not that it's much better.
yes, because no one actually read the article and took the threat title as fact for an easy way to jump into an ICBC shitting thread
__________________
STRENGTHaesthetics
RRxtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:23 PM   #39
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS
 
hotjoint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Surrey
Posts: 12,670
Thanked 649 Times in 352 Posts
I never understood why there was a ceiling for discounts. There should be no ceiling so if you're a good driver, you should have the opportunity to be insured for free one day by all the other dumb ass drivers that cause the accidents and claims. Make those people pay more to get their vehicles insured. There should be REAL incentives for people who are claim free. Fuck this 42% discount BS, gimme 100% discount. That's just my opinion.
hotjoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:46 PM   #40
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS
 
underscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kel-pwn-a
Posts: 11,983
Thanked 4,971 Times in 2,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post
Cars aren't built to be disposable - they're built to be sacrificial. For example, crumple zones are designed to absorb the impact of a collision so the forces applied to passengers are reduced.

Bottom line is cars are replaceable, people are not. Better to have a $30k car thrown away and passengers with minor injuries than a car that's still repairable and a passenger with $100K (or more) in medical bills and on-going physical therapy.

It is unbelievably expensive to "repair" people.
The same amount of energy is going into the car, so crumple zones or not the car is going to sustain roughly the same amount of damage, the crumple zones just help to ensure that the damage is directed away from the passengers.
__________________
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S // 1991 Toyota Celica GTFour RC FOR SALE // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:14 PM   #41
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 600
Thanked 353 Times in 166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjoint View Post
I never understood why there was a ceiling for discounts. There should be no ceiling so if you're a good driver, you should have the opportunity to be insured for free one day by all the other dumb ass drivers that cause the accidents and claims. Make those people pay more to get their vehicles insured. There should be REAL incentives for people who are claim free. Fuck this 42% discount BS, gimme 100% discount. That's just my opinion.
lol thats not how insurance work; the point of insurance is to pool and share the risk. There is always a non-zero probability that you might cause an accident as long as you are on the road. 100% discount means others are paying for your risk for free.
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-17-2014, 07:19 PM   #42
#deephouse
 
knight604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,196
Thanked 4,710 Times in 1,245 Posts
100% discount , thats not how monopolies work.
__________________
/// x AMG
knight604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:56 PM   #43
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO
 
Marco911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: US Bush-country
Posts: 7,738
Thanked 822 Times in 284 Posts
I think vehicle black boxes should start tracking accelerometer data. If you want to sue, be prepared to provide the data.
__________________
Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another.
Marco911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:05 AM   #44
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!
 
bing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: vancouver, B.C.
Posts: 1,842
Thanked 563 Times in 229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjoint View Post
I never understood why there was a ceiling for discounts. There should be no ceiling so if you're a good driver, you should have the opportunity to be insured for free one day by all the other dumb ass drivers that cause the accidents and claims. Make those people pay more to get their vehicles insured. There should be REAL incentives for people who are claim free. Fuck this 42% discount BS, gimme 100% discount. That's just my opinion.
Even if you are not causing any accidents, there are still administrative costs so why would you get a 100% discount?

Regardless, it only takes one costly accident with a payout in the millions to wipe out everything you've ever paid into the system.
__________________

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd (rip)
07' BMW 323iA (sold)
05' BMW Z4 5spd (sold)
06' BMW 330i 6spd (sold)
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5

Motorcycles:
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:47 AM   #45
Need to Shave n Shower, but I CANT STOP POSTING ON RS
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 19,768
Thanked 6,447 Times in 1,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
I work in the insurance industry, underwriting car insurance is part of my job.
Gold-coloured colloras, SUV are what we highly preferred.

We got Maybach, Bentley, Ferrari, Lambo application all the time, these are the models we send inspectors to check out the car.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:06 AM   #46
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy
 
ancient_510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: YVR
Posts: 347
Thanked 206 Times in 109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS1992EG View Post
Why doesn't icbc make it cheaper for drivers to purchase insurance if you buy a finevu camera.
+1

They already discount for a passive immobilizer, why not discount for a camera if you agree to surrender the video if you make a claim or a claim is made against you?
ancient_510 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:46 AM   #47
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: surrey
Posts: 2,036
Thanked 3,872 Times in 695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS1992EG View Post
Instead of raising rates. Why doesn't icbc make it cheaper for drivers to purchase insurance if you buy a finevu camera.

This way, any small fender benders would be dismissed as fraud for the claimer.

But we should be proactively putting camera's on are our cars so are family members don't get sued by scammers.
Because icbc makes more money when accidents are 50/50 and they can raise both rates.
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:08 PM   #48
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 4,479
Thanked 373 Times in 144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient_510 View Post
+1

They already discount for a passive immobilizer, why not discount for a camera if you agree to surrender the video if you make a claim or a claim is made against you?
How does having cam help icbc save money?
Cam doesn't prevent accidents, and icbc doesn't give a sht who is at fault, as long as someone takes the fault
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:37 PM   #49
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
Timpo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: ...
Posts: 20,379
Thanked 4,550 Times in 1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportPsycho View Post
How does having cam help icbc save money?
Cam doesn't prevent accidents, and icbc doesn't give a sht who is at fault, as long as someone takes the fault
It depends.

If you hit a kid in school zone today, you'll be in a lot of shit and parents are gonna sue your ass for multi million $$$.

It's even worse if your car is relatively flashy, have exhaust, etc.
Witness are gonna tell ICBC and Police you were driving like a complete idiot, you are going to have a criminal charge for mischief in public, etc.

Trust me, witness will actually tell everyone that you were driving aggressively, surf on Youtube and other car websites, people post videos how single dashcam saved their ass.

It is going to save ICBC a lot of money because your dashcam shows a kid running into the road without even looking and you had absolutely no time to stop within distance.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2014, 03:41 PM   #50
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 4,479
Thanked 373 Times in 144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
It depends.

If you hit a kid in school zone today, you'll be in a lot of shit and parents are gonna sue your ass for multi million $$$.

It's even worse if your car is relatively flashy, have exhaust, etc.
Witness are gonna tell ICBC and Police you were driving like a complete idiot, you are going to have a criminal charge for mischief in public, etc.

Trust me, witness will actually tell everyone that you were driving aggressively, surf on Youtube and other car websites, people post videos how single dashcam saved their ass.

It is going to save ICBC a lot of money because your dashcam shows a kid running into the road without even looking and you had absolutely no time to stop within distance.
I see your point there
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net