REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2014, 12:13 PM   #76
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
BoostedBB6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,796
Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
I think in your example, they are correct.. the demographic of CLK500 chances are it will be an older driver.. vs 92 Exploder which will be some cousin Cletus or some family trying to get by and are always late to everywhere. So even the car worth more, the insurance risk will be lower.. Not to mention if the Exploder get into an accident there will be more than 2 person beside the driver claiming. The passenger payout is the main cost.

The fact is popular cars with large sample will always be more risky than smaller run cars, hence higher cost.

You want to save on insurance? put OBD logger in every one's car, automatically ticket any risky moves.. you will save on insurance.

Accidents down, but payout is up.. that's the problem.
I have also insured both identical cars as a mid 20's guy and no difference. A $40k car (new) vs a $20k truck (new), 12 years difference in age, huge difference in parts replacement cost yet the same $$ to insure both? Regardless of age or not, if the car costs more to replace parts or to purchase you should pay more to insure it.
Advertisement
__________________
08' G37S 6MT Coupe - For Sale or Trade (Motorcycle)
05' TL A-Spec
00' Celica GTS
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:57 PM   #77
Head Moderator
 
Lomac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1982
Location: Great White Nor
Posts: 22,593
Thanked 6,400 Times in 2,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 View Post
I have also insured both identical cars as a mid 20's guy and no difference. A $40k car (new) vs a $20k truck (new), 12 years difference in age, huge difference in parts replacement cost yet the same $$ to insure both? Regardless of age or not, if the car costs more to replace parts or to purchase you should pay more to insure it.
It's the risk game. Vehicle A may a low production, high end vehicle with virtually zero records of theft or high payouts, whereas Vehicle B may be a mass production work truck, but has a large history of being stolen.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:29 AM   #78
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS
 
underscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kel-pwn-a
Posts: 11,983
Thanked 4,969 Times in 2,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
I think in your example, they are correct.. the demographic of CLK500 chances are it will be an older driver.. vs 92 Exploder which will be some cousin Cletus or some family trying to get by and are always late to everywhere. So even the car worth more, the insurance risk will be lower.. Not to mention if the Exploder get into an accident there will be more than 2 person beside the driver claiming. The passenger payout is the main cost.

The fact is popular cars with large sample will always be more risky than smaller run cars, hence higher cost.

You want to save on insurance? put OBD logger in every one's car, automatically ticket any risky moves.. you will save on insurance.

Accidents down, but payout is up.. that's the problem.
The Exploder is also more likely to be driven (higher mileage racked up each year) and it's more likely to be driven year round (through the winter) and through rougher conditions (the Coq in the winter) than the CLK500. Then the CLK is also going to have a higher safety rating than the Exploder which means in an accident the payout is likely to be lower due to fewer injuries.

It's not that the Exploder costs as much as a CLK, it's more like the CLK costs as little as an Exploder. If both vehicles had the same safety and were driven equally by everyone the CLK insurance would shoot up and the Exploders would stay the same.
__________________
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S // 1991 Toyota Celica GTFour RC FOR SALE // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:55 PM   #79
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: East Vancouver
Posts: 247
Thanked 305 Times in 63 Posts
^^ Exploder? . . . Am I missing something here, or are you talking about an Explorer? haha
tr0ubl3s0m3x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:36 AM   #80
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS
 
quasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Cloverdale
Posts: 10,231
Thanked 2,279 Times in 827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr0ubl3s0m3x View Post
^^ Exploder? . . . Am I missing something here, or are you talking about an Explorer? haha
In the 1990's the tires use to blow up and they would roll over (way more then statistically possible for it to be a freak accident) and they got the nickname the Exploder. A different cause but not that dissimilar to the Pinto's bursting into flames when being rear ended.

__________________



“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:54 PM   #81
I STILL don't get it
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: im over here!
Posts: 466
Thanked 252 Times in 120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebacon View Post
so today my dad got a letter from icbc saying that he was underpaying them 12$ but they waived it so their sorry for the inconvenience. is it possible for these computer error to happen?
yeah, i got one too. Guess they undercharged me by $7 but it's funny, because they put it as a negative...so does that mean I get a reduction of $7 on my next renewal?

Yeah, this ICBC crap has gotta stop. I loved AB insurance for that. So much cheaper to own multiple cars and have them all insured at the same time
StanleyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:21 PM   #82
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!
 
Yodamaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Burnaby, BC
Posts: 1,324
Thanked 1,481 Times in 465 Posts
Imagine that, the company that has a death grip on basic insurance can do whatever it wants!
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:32 PM   #83
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS
 
underscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kel-pwn-a
Posts: 11,983
Thanked 4,969 Times in 2,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
In the 1990's the tires use to blow up and they would roll over (way more then statistically possible for it to be a freak accident) and they got the nickname the Exploder. A different cause but not that dissimilar to the Pinto's bursting into flames when being rear ended.

Ford Pinto gas tank explosion - YouTube
The problem was that they were changing the design of car tires when the Explorer was being designed and the factory tire pressure rating ended up being too low, so they have/had lots of blowouts and rollovers due to underinflated tires. I think the Blazer had the same issue.
__________________
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S // 1991 Toyota Celica GTFour RC FOR SALE // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net