REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:20 PM   #1
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Vancouver woman badly injured in hit and run (Indiegogo for medical costs)

I think I should post this thread to let u guys split the post

Young woman badly injured in hit and run | CTV Vancouver News

EDIT: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/we-love-ovey

Indiegogo campaign for her medical bills. -Ronin
Advertisement
ah gon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:44 PM   #2
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

saw lots of police by that area today around 7am when i was heading to work hope they find the honda civic
iHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:45 AM   #3
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Saw this being shared by many friends on facebook who knew the girl that was hit, seen her around on campus at SFU, her wall was literally flooded with best wishes comments. Really hope she pulls through.
kouki_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:48 PM   #4
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Be on the look out for a black Civic with frontal damage.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:02 PM   #5
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Won't ICBC and MSP pay for her medical costs?
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-05-2014, 10:49 PM   #6
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
The least you could do is stay after you hit someone. Beside is Vancouver even if you hit someone most likely not much will happen to you.

People these days~~ too afraid to face consequence. Do the crime face the time.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-05-2014, 10:54 PM   #7
...in the world.

As someone currently dealing with ICBC for an accident where I was not at fault (got rear ended), it's a pain in the ass and they don't pay for it all up front. My physiotherapy costs are covered 50% now and 50% later, apparently. ICBC takes a long time to get you a cheque.

Also, prescription drugs aren't cheap and even if you're covered, you aren't covered 100% most of the time. I have family members paying $800 a month for prescription drugs despite having MSP coverage.

No one is going to go bankrupt on medical bills like they do in the US. If this was the US, $10k wouldn't even be a drop in the bucket. She'll be taken care of but there is still a financial burden on the her and her family that they shouldn't have to deal with because some douche ran into her.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-05-2014, 11:01 PM   #8
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Let's all hope for the best and that Ovey recovers soon.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:11 PM   #9
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,151 Times in 2,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
As someone currently dealing with ICBC for an accident where I was not at fault (got rear ended), it's a pain in the ass and they don't pay for it all up front. My physiotherapy costs are covered 50% now and 50% later, apparently. ICBC takes a long time to get you a cheque.

Also, prescription drugs aren't cheap and even if you're covered, you aren't covered 100% most of the time. I have family members paying $800 a month for prescription drugs despite having MSP coverage.

No one is going to go bankrupt on medical bills like they do in the US. If this was the US, $10k wouldn't even be a drop in the bucket. She'll be taken care of but there is still a financial burden on the her and her family that they shouldn't have to deal with because some douche ran into her.
Thanks, I was wondering about the MSP/ICBC as well.

As for Ovey, I am acquainted with her and have many mutual friends though not very close. She has always been super outgoing and friendly; definitely well liked and has a bright career future ahead of her.

She had liked a few of my pics I had posted on FB the afternoon prior to the accident, it's kind of unnerving to see it now realizing what tragedy she would encounter mere hours later.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:36 PM   #10
private modder

Thanked 2,620 Times in 734 Posts
Quote:
Actually they do pay 100% of everything on an ongoing basis. I was also injured from a rear end collision and not out of pocket for anything.

Ovey is a friend of mine and I ask everyone to keep your eye out for the black civic and pray for her full recovery.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:39 PM   #11
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
I want to see a bounty on the civic.
Similar to Cops.

Information leading to the arrest and conviction.
A cunt who will run away from this probably has cunt friends as well.
We just need to entice one of them to sell-out his cowardly buddy.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:59 PM   #12
...in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
Actually they do pay 100% of everything on an ongoing basis. I was also injured from a rear end collision and not out of pocket for anything.

Ovey is a friend of mine and I ask everyone to keep your eye out for the black civic and pray for her full recovery.
I'm currently paying 50% of my physio costs, which they will reimburse me for later.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:03 AM   #13
private modder

Thanked 2,620 Times in 734 Posts
That's too bad. They reimburse me 100% for physio, chiro, massage, prescriptions, Tylenol, you name it. Yes you'll be reimbursed eventually for the difference but I rather not deal with that if I don't have to.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:25 AM   #14
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
i wonder what she was doing at 4am to be involved in the accident (what i mean is, was she crossing at an intersection, or jay walking, etc. - i'm not attesting blame, just interested in the circumstances) - regardless, the driver of the civic is guilty of something as he left the scene. accidents do, sadly, happen, but to leave, that either says you were doing something wrong or you're an idiot.

i'm a little confused as to why there is a need for raising funds. I thought Canada had free healthcare. The victim in question worked, correct? so wouldn't she have extended healthcare through that, above and beyond MSP, ICBC... i think that raised money shouldn't be needed from the perspective of this free healthcare system and her insurance should be sufficient... i guess the truth comes out when something serious happens, as has been supported by Ronin's case and others.

i do wish her well, as one human to another (don't know her personally) - no one deserves this.

edit: i hope they find the civic driver quickly and throw the fucking book at him/her. unfortunately one cannot prove if they were drunk or high subsequently, but i want all the powers available to throw at this person. they've had enough time to come forward now and say it was a terrible knee jerk reaction to leave, and show remorse - clearly this isn't happening.

sadly, they'll get a suspended sentence and license taken away for 12 months, or less, just like the drunk driver that killed my friend's family...
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2014, 12:38 AM   #15
nah
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:

MSP doesn't cover prescription drugs, it only covers your care with doctors and hospitals. Extend health insurance through work or out of pocket covers prescription drugs.
nah is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2014, 05:55 AM   #16
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
hope the best for her.

but i just need to know...why does everyone care so damn much about this? this happens all the time and nobody else sets up a donation for medical bills for that person. ive actually never even heard of this girl before so really ive no emotional attachment to her/this scenario. i see person after person on my facebook feed posting this saying "lets help her" or "shes the best" etc etc, yet not a single one of them are friends with her (or so their friends list says).
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:07 AM   #17

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
hope the best for her.

but i just need to know...why does everyone care so damn much about this? this happens all the time and nobody else sets up a donation for medical bills for that person. ive actually never even heard of this girl before so really ive no emotional attachment to her/this scenario. i see person after person on my facebook feed posting this saying "lets help her" or "shes the best" etc etc, yet not a single one of them are friends with her (or so their friends list says).
because some people are valued higher than others in society because they are popular, with the in crowd, etc.

i agree with your sentiment exactly, nothing against this girl, but just that all life is equal.

that's not to say i don't wish her well, i wish her well as much as anyone else unfairly hurt or injured.
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:26 AM   #18

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
I hope the indegogo campaign actually only uses what is necessary to help her. If there is any leftover, donate it to charity or something. This can easily become a Filipino Charity Scam. That being said, I don't know the severity of her situation and don't know if the money raised will be enough either. Just expressing my concerns on donating to people I don't know on the internetz.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:55 AM   #19
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
shits messed up.

i noticed there's been a lot more stories of hit and runs in the news this year.
it's a pretty disturbing trend that it seems like more and more people are choosing the coward's way after causing accidents.
kinda makes me wonder if we need to revisit and maybe put more effort into how we deal with hit and runs

i absolutely hate these type of people, sure you have options, sure you may have been scared but fuck you for running...you have it easy, just think of the person you left injured/dying. I hope your family member/loved one suffers the exact same fate.

god forbid if this ever happened to a loved one, they better pray the authorities find them first if they decide to run away, cus i will spend my every waking moment and I will run myself to dust looking for this fucker and when I find them, they'll wish for the rest of their short lives that they'd stayed.
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:19 AM   #20
i like gifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenmecar View Post
I hope the indegogo campaign actually only uses what is necessary to help her. If there is any leftover, donate it to charity or something. This can easily become a Filipino Charity Scam. That being said, I don't know the severity of her situation and don't know if the money raised will be enough either. Just expressing my concerns on donating to people I don't know on the internetz.
This definitely won't be a filipino charity scam.

Last I heard, she was in an induced coma, so the situation is pretty severe.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2014, 08:59 AM   #21
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post

Last I heard, she was in an induced coma, so the situation is pretty severe.
Her sister posted: in an induced coma with severe brain and bone damage.

Quote:
Originally posted by european
i'd say its a bear... from what i've learned from winnie the pooh. you should be able to lure it with some honey.. and it'll be your friend for life!! then you'll meet his friends.. that crazy owl!! and that lazy ass donkey.. whats his name.. Eore or something.. if you meet his llitte piggy friend.. roast him and eat some ribs!! hahahaha.. wtf am i on!! hahaha i'm going nuts over here!!!
Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:05 AM   #22

Thanked 7,151 Times in 2,395 Posts
UPDATE: It was a two door newer black Honda Civic coupe
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2014, 09:10 AM   #23
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,239 Times in 5,600 Posts
Quote:
hope the best for her.

because she's Asian, goes to SFU, and this is revscene.

seems like the typical equation.
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-06-2014, 09:20 AM   #24

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
hope the best for her.

Because social media.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:21 AM   #25
i like gifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
because she's Asian, goes to SFU, and this is revscene.

seems like the typical equation.
Fuck off with trying to bring race into this.

It's about someone getting run over to the point where she's in a medically induced coma. Doesn't matter if she's asian, white, black, brown, ubc, sfu, langara, kwantlen.
This post thanked by: