REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:49 PM   #101
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
I think the question should be families of all victims or hit and runs or other accidents start crowd fund campaigns?

Some people see a need and some people don't. I think it is best for the families / victims decide for themselves.. you don't have to contribute if you don't want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riff raff View Post
So should we crowd fund all victims of hit and runs or other accidents?
Advertisement
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:52 PM   #102
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Ovey's case from a legal perspective is quite complex. She is an entrepreneur and is both active in the community as well as the start up world. The grey area is that she has not reached her full potential yet and the start ups she joined is just beginning to grow and so the stock options she has is not worth very much. If a med student is injured the insurance adjuster can project the student's lost wages she should have earned based on her career path and has evidence from past court cases/rulings to back up claims for both the defendant and the plaintiff. An entrepreneur or people who join start ups have an uncertainty future in that the start up could liquidate or could be the next Facebook/Amazon/Snapchat or could be a company in between. No one case is similar and past court rulings might not help due to the uncertainty. When wages are projected into the future on potential earnings, there is so much uncertainty. If this case goes to court with ICBC if both sides could not reach a viable settlement, it would be a long one in that lawyers from both sides have to argue their case to get the minimum settlement for ICBC and the maximum settlement for the injured.
Terwg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-07-2014, 09:53 PM   #103
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,817 Times in 3,901 Posts

the last few pages of this thread can be summed up in one sentence:

No one is forcing you to donate.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-07-2014, 10:50 PM   #104
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

To be honest I was kinda annoyed why she needs donations for her medical expenses since we as taxpayers technically did contribute for her medical costs. A country that has universal health care shouldn't really have to get donations like the USA IMO. But Ronin explained the reasons why which is compelling but I don't agree cause ICBC will provide compensation eventually. In the end it's up to you if you sympathize and wish to help her in this tragic case.

PS she'll never get lost wages like a med school student from ICBC. Entrepreneur success rates are too low
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-07-2014, 11:06 PM   #105
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post
To be honest I was kinda annoyed why she needs donations for her medical expenses since we as taxpayers technically did contribute for her medical costs. A country that has universal health care shouldn't really have to get donations like the USA IMO. But Ronin explained the reasons why which is compelling but I don't agree cause ICBC will provide compensation eventually. In the end it's up to you if you sympathize and wish to help her in this tragic case.

PS she'll never get lost wages like a med school student from ICBC. Entrepreneur success rates are too low
+1.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:20 PM   #106
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
A VP and Publicist...sounds like she made good coin.
a VP of a start up = likely no actual income (bc the start up has no income) and publicist, that could mean anything in this day and age.

what a dumb comment - you must be so impressed by all these VP of bit.co.ly or lit.whatever.letters, all the BS no chance, no revenue start ups that splatter the market in this time of tech bubble. All these VP's are mostly 20 somethings that live in their parents' basements.

perhaps it will turn into something, chances are 95% of them won't. great thing about an online business, costs very little to establish.
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2014, 09:00 AM   #107
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,907 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xu.Vi View Post
There's actually a description in the webpage of where the proceeds will likely be going to. To quote:

Keep in mind, this isn't a plea from Ovey's family. Ovey's FRIENDS had put this together for her family to hopefully minimize financial burden.
Okay, so they confirmed that this is all based on expenses she may or may not incur. Normally people wait until it's known that she'll be facing things not covered by insurance etc but whatever.

But if this is for her friends/family to help her out that begs the question, is it appropriate to point this to strangers (ie post it on RS)?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:21 AM   #108
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
get a head injury and a new C class benz in return
Old 08-08-2014, 09:32 AM   #109
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,061 Times in 1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
get a head injury and a new C class benz in return

That is one of the stupidest things I have ever seen you post. And you post some stupid shit!
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:20 AM   #110
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post

That is one of the stupidest things I have ever seen you post. And you post some stupid shit!
He thinks apathy makes him macho.

A girl is fighting for her life and all he can focus on is the $$$ she's getting. Not that he'll admit it but i don't know what he's jelly for. I don't know anyone on this board that would trade places with Ovey just for a Mercedes C-class; So i highly doubt Ovey, if she comes around will be thinking the same.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-08-2014, 10:24 AM   #111
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Don't be jelly that people like her more than you.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-08-2014, 10:57 AM   #112

Lol..oh god

When I'm sitting out on a dock with a beer in my hand my only thought is that I wish I had more E-friends.

Last edited by Hondaracer; 08-08-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2014, 11:39 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
He thinks apathy makes him macho.

A girl is fighting for her life and all he can focus on is the $$$ she's getting. Not that he'll admit it but i don't know what he's jelly for. I don't know anyone on this board that would trade places with Ovey just for a Mercedes C-class; So i highly doubt Ovey, if she comes around will be thinking the same.
lol not Jelly, just kind of highlighting points others have made here re: actually "needing" the money.

Every bit obviously helps and no way in hell anyone is trading X amount for a life altering brain injury. I think it's just a statement to the sad state of this world when being popular on social media can benefit someone like this, where as people who are constantly in need, or groups which constantly need funds to operate for beneficial causes don't get a sniff.

As well, always find it funny how people get their panties in a knot over a little poke like that.. if I had said in in person around people it would be blown off as "hah what an asshole" but when people read it to themselves and stew on it, it gets to ya lol..

Just because people "know, or "know of" someone its SRS business but then a click away people are "lolling" at trucks driving over peoples heads in the NSFW forum

ohhhh dis world
Old 08-08-2014, 11:49 AM   #114
private modder

Thanked 2,646 Times in 740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by riff raff View Post
So should we crowd fund all victims of hit and runs or other accidents?
Says the guy who drives Bentleys and 7-series and everything else like it's NBD.

Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2014, 11:59 AM   #115
private modder

Following my accident less than two years ago, my personal expenses to date are $12,659 for treatments, prescriptions, etc and counting. Yes ICBC covers all that but that's after negotiating, bureaucracy, court, etc.

As a victim ICBC will award you a settlement as well for pain and suffering, but it's correlated to the % of liabilty they find you. If you're found to be partially or completely at fault, it reduces or eliminates your settlement. Let's say you were hit by a drunk driver but you were jaywalking, there goes a lot of your settlement. Another example is if you were in a crash that 100% wasn't your fault, but you weren't wearing a seatbelt, your settlement will be impacted because you were partly responsible for the severity your injury.

Point is, I'm pretty confident the family will need this money along the way and that's why friends are reaching out to support.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:43 PM   #116
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
well, if she wakes up and she makes a full recovery, hopefully she'll just donate the money or give the money back.

if she wakes up, and she's all fucked up, i'm 100% certain the money wont cover personal medical or "new way of life" related expenses over the course of her life.

lol, you guys can bitch if she wakes up fine and keeps the money. I would support your cause then, but as of now, I'm pretty sure she'll need the money.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2014, 01:52 PM   #117
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
Says the guy who drives Bentleys and 7-series and everything else like it's NBD.

Lol, you got what I was saying completely twisted.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:34 PM   #118
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
If you met her in real life then you'd know she'd be the first one to donate all of the proceeds to charity if she could.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:34 PM   #119

almost 6 pages and ppl here who actually knows what happened still won't dare to say whether she was jaywalking/texting/drunk/etc or just normal pedestrian

guessing then that it's safe to assume that she is a somewhat at fault for what happened
you! is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-08-2014, 02:53 PM   #120

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Wow, so much of this conversation is ignoring the fact that a young woman is lying in a medically induced coma, fighting for what was her life.

Can we just put the squabbles to bed and have some respect. Imagine of she read this page as either a fully recovered person, or in a potentially retarded state... Let's consider the human tragedy that has occurred here and that could easily happen to all of our mums, sisters, or girlfriends
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2014, 02:54 PM   #121
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,171 Times in 2,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by you! View Post
almost 6 pages and ppl here who actually knows what happened still won't dare to say whether she was jaywalking/texting/drunk/etc or just normal pedestrian
Cynical much?

It's nothing to do with 'daring to say' what happened; nothing has been announced publicly on Facebook, in media, or otherwise.

Unless one of us is a close family member in the know, or has access to that security camera, or are one of the witnesses who they say were at the scene of the accident, none of us who know Ovey have been made aware of what actually happened.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:00 PM   #122
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Less bitch'in on here...

Please update any info, like if the bastard was caught or any more info on the black civic...
Old 08-08-2014, 05:59 PM   #123
private modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by you! View Post

guessing then that it's safe to assume that she is a somewhat at fault for what happened
Because maybe nobody knows. We weren't there. Just like you weren't. Ever think of that?
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2014, 08:27 PM   #124
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,907 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
Following my accident less than two years ago, my personal expenses to date are $12,659 for treatments, prescriptions, etc and counting. Yes ICBC covers all that but that's after negotiating, bureaucracy, court, etc.

As a victim ICBC will award you a settlement as well for pain and suffering, but it's correlated to the % of liabilty they find you. If you're found to be partially or completely at fault, it reduces or eliminates your settlement. Let's say you were hit by a drunk driver but you were jaywalking, there goes a lot of your settlement. Another example is if you were in a crash that 100% wasn't your fault, but you weren't wearing a seatbelt, your settlement will be impacted because you were partly responsible for the severity your injury.

Point is, I'm pretty confident the family will need this money along the way and that's why friends are reaching out to support.
If you're found partly at fault you should be the one shelling out because you were the one who fucked up.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:59 PM   #125
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
If you're found partly at fault you should be the one shelling out because you were the one who fucked up.
That's essentially what happens. You "shell out" by not getting whatever award you would have otherwise.

So if your award would've been 100k, and you were 30% at fault, you only get 70k. It's an overly-simplistic example, but that's generally how it is.
Majestic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: