REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2014, 06:43 PM   #76
I subscribe to Revscene
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Victoria
Posts: 1,977
Thanked 185 Times in 129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
The fact that you are even comparing laminating glass, to tinting glass is ridiculous.
Explain to me why it would be so different.
Advertisement
__________________
Consider reading the research before commenting on photo enforcement: http://thenewspaper.com/

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:03 PM   #77
The Brown Reason
 
BrRsn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Whalley
Posts: 4,594
Thanked 5,847 Times in 1,521 Posts
you guys sure do like to have arguments about technicalities/tangential items, are you sure neither of you are politicians?

huehuehuehue
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes
fuck this shit, i'm out
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:38 PM   #78
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
meme405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,625
Thanked 7,175 Times in 2,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
Explain to me why it would be so different.
I don't know why I bother sometimes, but i'll bite.

Laminated glass is made up of 3 layers, 2 outer layers of glass separated by a PVB layer sandwiched between them. The end result is one bonded material which will not separate from one another, under any reasonable circumstance. Whereas tinting a window is simply applying a layer of tape to the outside of a pane of glass.

Further to that, the PVB layer in laminated glass is on average .4mm thick. By comparison a layer of tint is only 1 thou thick (.0254mm).

The end result is that laminated glass and tinted glass are similar much like how Kevlar is similar to hemp.
__________________

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:29 PM   #79
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
I don't know why I bother sometimes, but i'll bite.

Laminated glass is made up of 3 layers, 2 outer layers of glass separated by a PVB layer sandwiched between them. The end result is one bonded material which will not separate from one another, under any reasonable circumstance. Whereas tinting a window is simply applying a layer of tape to the outside of a pane of glass.

Further to that, the PVB layer in laminated glass is on average .4mm thick. By comparison a layer of tint is only 1 thou thick (.0254mm).

The end result is that laminated glass and tinted glass are similar much like how Kevlar is similar to hemp.

Bet most people have never smoked kevlar.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-28-2014, 07:59 PM   #80
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
meme405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,625
Thanked 7,175 Times in 2,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Bet most people have never smoked kevlar.
Seberry should be a trendsetter.
__________________

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-28-2014, 10:51 PM   #81
I subscribe to Revscene
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Victoria
Posts: 1,977
Thanked 185 Times in 129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
I don't know why I bother sometimes, but i'll bite.

Laminated glass is made up of 3 layers, 2 outer layers of glass separated by a PVB layer sandwiched between them. The end result is one bonded material which will not separate from one another, under any reasonable circumstance. Whereas tinting a window is simply applying a layer of tape to the outside of a pane of glass.

Further to that, the PVB layer in laminated glass is on average .4mm thick. By comparison a layer of tint is only 1 thou thick (.0254mm).

The end result is that laminated glass and tinted glass are similar much like how Kevlar is similar to hemp.

So what you're trying to say is that due to the tint's weakness, it shouldn't interfere with the way the glass shatters?

Once shattered, laminated glass will often bend and warp around whatever caused it to shatter in the first place. Since the individual fragments of glass are held in place by that PVB interlayer, they still pose a significant laceration hazard to any body parts that come in contact with it.

So again remind me why laminated glass is permitted for front-side windows and tint isn't?
__________________
Consider reading the research before commenting on photo enforcement: http://thenewspaper.com/

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:11 PM   #82
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
meme405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,625
Thanked 7,175 Times in 2,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
So what you're trying to say is that due to the tint's weakness, it shouldn't interfere with the way the glass shatters?

Once shattered, laminated glass will often bend and warp around whatever caused it to shatter in the first place. Since the individual fragments of glass are held in place by that PVB interlayer, they still pose a significant laceration hazard to any body parts that come in contact with it.

So again remind me why laminated glass is permitted for front-side windows and tint isn't?


Nice try with the straw man argument, but I'm not biting.

I'm going to cut my losses here and end with saying:

Tinting any one of your 3 front windows is illegal, take this as formal notice. Tinting your windows does NOT create a safe in vehicle environment. Using that excuse in court will likely end up with you looking like a complete dunce.
__________________

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2014, 07:26 PM   #83
I subscribe to Revscene
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Victoria
Posts: 1,977
Thanked 185 Times in 129 Posts
... and nobody has demonstrated how it creates a dangerous environment.

EDIT: Need I point out the illegal mods on your FX35?
__________________
Consider reading the research before commenting on photo enforcement: http://thenewspaper.com/

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:35 AM   #84
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS
 
underscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kel-pwn-a
Posts: 11,969
Thanked 4,956 Times in 2,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
EDIT: Need I point out the illegal mods on your FX35?
WHat des that have to do with anything?

Oh right, it doesn't. Next.
__________________
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S // 1991 Toyota Celica GTFour RC FOR SALE // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:52 AM   #85
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
Soundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Abbotstan
Posts: 20,730
Thanked 12,143 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
The fact that you are even comparing laminating glass, to tinting glass is ridiculous.

If that is your best argument for why window tint should be legal you are not going to get much traction.

Your better off with the "it's a pointless law argument".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
It is Sebberry, after all.
See my sig...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
Does anyone know how many to a signature?
..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:27 AM   #86
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
meme405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,625
Thanked 7,175 Times in 2,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
EDIT: Need I point out the illegal mods on your FX35?
LOL.

You want to see illegal, wait till next week...
__________________

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:21 AM   #87
Head Moderator
 
Lomac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1982
Location: Great White Nor
Posts: 22,586
Thanked 6,400 Times in 2,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
... and nobody has demonstrated how it creates a dangerous environment.
Seriously?

Laminated glass has the film sheet (polyvinyl butyral... basically a bonding resin) sandwiched between the layers of glass. When an impact hits the glass, that inner film helps to hold all the shards in one place.

Tint is stuck on the outside of the glass. When an impact hits, the potential for the tint peeling off is relatively high. This causes shards to still fall everywhere.

Yes, both methods have the possibility of allowing glass shards to fall onto someone inside a vehicle, but the latter method will allow it to happen far more often.

There's a reason why the laminated process is used for creating bullet resistant glass instead of using external layers of film.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2014, 01:33 PM   #88
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
meme405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,625
Thanked 7,175 Times in 2,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Seriously?

Laminated glass has the film sheet (polyvinyl butyral... basically a bonding resin) sandwiched between the layers of glass. When an impact hits the glass, that inner film helps to hold all the shards in one place.

Tint is stuck on the outside of the glass. When an impact hits, the potential for the tint peeling off is relatively high. This causes shards to still fall everywhere.

Yes, both methods have the possibility of allowing glass shards to fall onto someone inside a vehicle, but the latter method will allow it to happen far more often.

There's a reason why the laminated process is used for creating bullet resistant glass instead of using external layers of film.
His argument changed over the course of this conversation. At first he was trying to say that having tinted windows is safer then not having tinted windows, this is where he compared tinted windows to the process of laminating windows.

Then when I proved him wrong by explaining to him that the to processes are not even remotely similar his argument changed to the fact that adding tint does not make the glass any more dangerous then not having it.

Classic straw man argument.
__________________

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2014, 01:05 AM   #89
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: /
Posts: 2,899
Thanked 1,308 Times in 380 Posts
How much is the tint ticket?
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:33 PM   #90
Survivor MOD
 
T4RAWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Richmond
Posts: 2,031
Thanked 1,504 Times in 525 Posts
did you pay or dispute?

OP i'm curious about the outcome.
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:58 AM   #91
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 511
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Samething, had a very very light tint as well and it's been on my car since 2003 when I brought my car from out of province, I had the mandatory vehicle inspection and everything. Officer said they should have caught it and that I should go back to the inspection garage and get them to pay the fine.. honestly how does one prove that?
__________________
FEEDBACK (7-0-0)
shimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:40 PM   #92
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
I have encountered numerous Vehicle Inspectors who regularly approved cars with illegally tinted windows...and dealerships who sold the cars that way. Some of the same inspectors worked for the dealerships...some didn't. The inspection was defective...however you must have known it was illegal some time in the last 11 years. Why did you not go back to the inspection centre and ask them that question? I can name 5 dealerships I reported for selling illegally tinted cars and at least double that number of inspectors willing to ignore the regulations and pass defective vehicles. Due to the fact that I no longer have the proof, I won't.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:07 AM   #93
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: /
Posts: 2,899
Thanked 1,308 Times in 380 Posts
Anyone know the price of the ticket for front tints.
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:50 AM   #94
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
ninjatune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: LMD
Posts: 3,145
Thanked 228 Times in 71 Posts
^ I believe it's $109
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:51 PM   #95
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: /
Posts: 2,899
Thanked 1,308 Times in 380 Posts
^ lol brother just got a ticket for front tinted windows today.

Any body recommend a shop?
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:43 PM   #96
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
^ lol brother just got a ticket for front tinted windows today.

Any body recommend a shop?
To re-install it...or remove it?
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-24-2014, 04:11 PM   #97
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: /
Posts: 2,899
Thanked 1,308 Times in 380 Posts
remove, probably just going to do it myself.
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:52 PM   #98
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
meme405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,625
Thanked 7,175 Times in 2,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
remove, probably just going to do it myself.
Just do it yourself, if you can remove your inner door panel, makes it way easier.

Mighty Car Mods has a good video on removing film, but basically; heat it up with a heat gun, lift a corner and pull it off, then remove the adhesive with a razor blade, and clean up what remains with a rag and goo gone.
__________________

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 08:12 AM   #99
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
Spoken like a man who has been there before!
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:35 AM   #100
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 15
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No tint allow for front windows
dotdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net