REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:23 AM   #1
KO7
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Possibility of Tint Ticket Reduced to Warning in Court?

Last month, I got pulled over by an RCMP officer just as he exited the RCMP headquarters in Richmond. I was nothing but polite and respectful during the exchange, but still got a ticket despite some of the factors listed below.

Even though any front tint is illegal, given that I explain to the judge that:

- I chose a relatively modest 75% to allow for (officers') ease of visibility into the cabin.
Everyone that I talked to about my tint said they didn't even notice any front tint at all.

- Given the light transmission of the tint, they were only done to block most UV rays and to protect the interior.

- I was not speeding or driving erratically, and have no other illegal mods on my vehicle (he went over my vehicle thoroughly before handing me the tint ticket).

- First offense for tint.

- I paid $67.20 to have the tint removed the same day that I got the ticket and have receipt proof of it.

What are the chances I have the ticket reduced or given a warning instead? Surely if there's instances of anyone getting a warning for tint, my case should qualify? Not intended to be a whining thread, if there's no change to the ticket fine, then I will pay it and move on.
Advertisement
KO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:32 AM   #2
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 2,708 Times in 364 Posts
how much is the ticket?

I believe if the ticket is over $50, you can reduce it by $25 if paid within 30 days, other than that, there's no wiggle room. You can always go to court to reduce it. Dunno if you can have it reduced anymore from ICBC
Old 09-18-2014, 06:35 AM   #3

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Pic of the car+tint.
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-18-2014, 06:36 AM   #4
KO7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkthind View Post
how much is the ticket?

I believe if the ticket is over $50, you can reduce it by $25 if paid within 30 days, other than that, there's no wiggle room. You can always go to court to reduce it. Dunno if you can have it reduced anymore from ICBC
Sorry forgot to clarify, the ticket was definitely over $100 and I've already started the process to dispute it.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:38 AM   #5
KO7

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_tec View Post
Pic of the car+tint.
http://www.revscene.net/forums/69160...ml#post8496469
Old 09-18-2014, 06:53 AM   #6

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Not that it's matters, but what % are the rears?
Maybe that's what attracted the police's attention?
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:00 AM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
I got pulled over years ago when I was driving my old C43 and I had purchased it from North Vancouver Mercedes Benz with tint on all windows.
I had owned the car just under a month at this point, was working 7 days a week 12-16hrs a day and had no time to deal with it.
I got pulled over and the officer asked about it, I said I just bought the car and had not had time to remove it. He said I will have to write you a ticket for it, so I ripped the tint off right in front of him...he laughed and I was on my way with no ticket.

If you know it was illegal and got a ticket for it why are you disputing it?

"I know its illegal but....."

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-18-2014, 07:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO7 View Post
Last month, I got pulled over by an RCMP officer just as he exited the RCMP headquarters in Richmond. I was nothing but polite and respectful during the exchange, but still got a ticket despite some of the factors listed below.

Even though any front tint is illegal, given that I explain to the judge that:

- I chose a relatively modest 75% to allow for (officers') ease of visibility into the cabin.
Everyone that I talked to about my tint said they didn't even notice any front tint at all.

- Given the light transmission of the tint, they were only done to block most UV rays and to protect the interior.

- I was not speeding or driving erratically, and have no other illegal mods on my vehicle (he went over my vehicle thoroughly before handing me the tint ticket).

- First offense for tint.

- I paid $67.20 to have the tint removed the same day that I got the ticket and have receipt proof of it.

What are the chances I have the ticket reduced or given a warning instead? Surely if there's instances of anyone getting a warning for tint, my case should qualify? Not intended to be a whining thread, if there's no change to the ticket fine, then I will pay it and move on.
The only chance of having the fine amount reduced by the JJP would be to plead guilty and ask for a fine reduction, providing the information you've provided above. You won't get any sympathy for the reasons for putting it on/the % that you used, but you may get leniency with respect to you having immediately paid to have the tint removed. Dispute it and go to trial, you'll have to pay the full amount if/when found guilty.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:04 AM   #9
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Nothing may be added to the window which reduces the light...that is what you did and that is the charge you will be convicted of. You may attend court, plead guilty and offer an explanation of what you did after you were caught. You may be asked by either the JP or the Police why you chose to tint the windows, knowing it was not legal. The JP may give consideration to the fact you have removed it. The fact you paid to do that is a consequence of your decision to have the tint there....or he/she may not?
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-18-2014, 07:09 AM   #10
KO7

Thank you for the comments. I am aware now that it is illegal, but I will look for leniency on above factors I listed above since I hear about people getting warnings for a first offense.

I mentioned the cost of the removal as money is tight and the judge/officer might want to hear that I used the money towards removal rather than paying the fine and keeping the tint.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:21 AM   #11
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Just so you are aware, there are clear films that are designed to cut out UV light without effecting the optical clarity of the windows.
It is still illegal as you are not allowed to put the tint on any front windows, but it is 100% clear so they would never know.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-18-2014, 08:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO7 View Post
Thank you for the comments. I am aware now that it is illegal, but I will look for leniency on above factors I listed above since I hear about people getting warnings for a first offense.

I mentioned the cost of the removal as money is tight and the judge/officer might want to hear that I used the money towards removal rather than paying the fine and keeping the tint.
Just because one person gets a warning doesnt mean everyone does. These "arguments" you're planning on presenting are excuses, not valid defenses or arguments.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-18-2014, 08:18 AM   #13
KO7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_bc View Post
Just because one person gets a warning doesnt mean everyone does. These "arguments" you're planning on presenting are excuses, not valid defenses or arguments.
I'm aware of that, that's why I said "look for leniency". Asking for leniency doesn't mean I'm demanding something I'm entitled to, nor is it a legal reason or defense.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:20 AM   #14
KO7

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_tec View Post
Not that it's matters, but what % are the rears?
Maybe that's what attracted the police's attention?
The rear windows are 20% 3M Color Stable.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:51 AM   #15
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
I received a VI here in north van from an RCMP officer.

I had to remove the tint, and then go to the detachment with the VI for them to make sure it was removed. No ticket involved. Never had to pay a penny.

I would say its not worth the time to go to court and do all that work, but then again I don't know your situation. For me the risk of paying an extra $25, and wasting half a day going to court, far outweighs the benefit of having a ticket potentially be reduced by $50 or $100. Not to mention the fact that shit like this just plugs up traffic court and adds no real value for anyone considering the fact that you were guilty, and plan to admit it...

Seeing as how you already said you are disputing, all I can say is good luck, but you have an uphill battle ahead of you.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-18-2014, 09:20 AM   #16

I got a ticket for front window tint even though I didn't have any. It just looked like I did cause my rear 20% tint make the front look darker. Officer cancelled the ticket in court for me cause I went back to see him the next day during the day and him and his supervisor looked at my car and said it was their mistake.

Since you removed the tint and have receipt, you can call up the officer and plead your case to him. There is a possibility that he would be willing to cancel the ticket.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:21 AM   #17
KO7

Thanks, it's worth a shot to me.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:50 AM   #18

Might take a while to get a hold of the officer but just keep trying. You'll never believe how nice some of them really are when they aren't talking to you at the side of a road.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:45 PM   #19

Ill tell 3 ways to possibly get the ticket removed.

#1: Explain to the officer who gave you the ticket what you did and want and see if he will budge.
#2: Dispute the ticket(not the fine), and wait and see if the court system fucks up and you don't get the court date at all.
#3: If you do get a court date, show up for court and see if the cop shows up. If he does show up, don't even go to court. Just go home and pay the ticket.

I've had 2 separate tickets disappear on me via #2, so chances are pretty good.
Also, if you get a far off court date, it might even be grounds for not being heard in timely manner. (this is something i heard somewhere though, so cant say for sure.)

Personally, I think the tint law is bullshit.
Increases risk at night? ok fine, but clear UV tint being illegal? Such bs. Why is it illegal for me to take measures in preventing skin cancer. the shatter pattern/for your safety excuse cops gives is bullshit too. for the safety of cops? if they were in danger, forget a bone breaker to your window, theyd already be shooting at you lols. Id even argue that the tint holding the glass pieces together when it shatters is safer for the driver.
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-18-2014, 07:43 PM   #20
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Id even argue that the tint holding the glass pieces together when it shatters is safer for the driver.

You know, maybe, just maybe, all the safety engineers & car manufacturers in the world overlooked that point????
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-18-2014, 07:48 PM   #21

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeknerd View Post
Id even argue that the tint holding the glass pieces together when it shatters is safer for the driver.

Spoiler!

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-18-2014, 08:16 PM   #22
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
I got pulled over by the VPD today for front window tint. The officer told me that if I removed it and dispute the ticket, he would cancel the fine on court day in 4 or 5 months. Yeah. I'm just gonna pay the fine.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:12 PM   #23

Thanked 2,421 Times in 918 Posts
Anyone have front tints and didn't get ticketed yet?
Gerbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:29 PM   #24
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

going on 8 years and nothing. My car is dirty though
Adorkami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:47 AM   #25

Thanked 2,421 Times in 918 Posts
what car
Gerbs is online now   Reply With Quote