REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Relationship & Gender Discussion

Relationship & Gender Discussion THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The thin line between love and hate
Mature discussion about understanding the opposite sex...

Old 08-03-2021, 09:44 AM   #301
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
All is finished and done with now. Girl said yes.

Took the advice here and went better quality over size. Round, Cut - Ideal, Color - E, Clarity - Internally Flawless, Fluorescence - Faint, Polish/symmetry - Excellent, Culet - None. She's a thin short gal so went with a .7 which actually looks like a perfect size for her. Had the ring custom made by a jeweler I know.

Was able to score an am pass on Friday at 7am sharp to Golden Ears and went there right when the park opened at 7am on Saturday. Went to east canyon falls and did it there that way nobody would be around. Picked up the dog to prop her up to the wooden railing to make her look at the waterfall, crouched down to put her back down and did it then while I was already down lol.

A big thank you for everyone's advice and input!

stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 10:29 PM   #302
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,340 Times in 969 Posts
anyone with experience with lab diamond + shipping within Canada.

was going to pull the trigger, but I didn't wnat to get it from the US and then have to pay duties on it.

Sites?
6793026 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 07:20 AM   #303
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Synthetic diamonds (as classified by CBSA) dues not incur duty.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-co...1-2013-eng.pdf

You will need to pay appropriate provincial taxes however.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2021, 08:23 AM   #304

Now i'm really tempted. I was going to head down to a store locally. I gotta find one local before I try to order on a US website.
Old 09-05-2021, 08:49 AM   #305
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

In 2013ish, I bought the diamond from James Allen and brought it up. Note that a diamond ring is subject to duties but a loose diamond is duty free, iirc. A few years later we upgraded her diamond via JA’s trade in program and that was seamless too.
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 11:24 AM   #306
RS Veteran

Are you in the GTA now? IF so, there's a place in the Diamond District called I think Valour or something that deals with lab grown diamonds. That should save you a trip.
Old 09-05-2021, 12:05 PM   #307

Bcrdukes: I flew back to van to pack more shit back to Toronto, but secretly I'm also here to shop for a ring in BC and bringing it back to propose. I'll do some research.

Special: thx.. i want to get both ring + setting all at one place; get it done and over with..so just getting the diamond and getting it set elsewhere is too much for me...

As per site I'm researching.

"Taxes and Duties: We collects tax on your behalf, based on the province we ship to. The tax rate will be reflected in your cart at checkout. There are no additional import duties for orders shipped to Canada, so the total amount of your order is always transparent."

PERFECT.

They were nice to send me a ring sizer in the mail. Perfect. This way i just need to meaure her ring size when she's knocked out white girl drunk and I'm good to go lol.

Last edited by 6793026; 09-05-2021 at 12:22 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2022, 12:28 PM   #308

Question for you lads about your wedding band.

Overall I'm not a fan of good. I wear avery thin necklace with a few gold pendants on it, but that sits under my short where nobody can see. Looking for a band for myself now and seem to be finsing myself leaning more towards a carbon fiber ring. Was in a few jewelry stores and was a bit surprised on their prices and how cheap they are. They've minimal metal on them which explains why...

Anyone have any experience with them?
Personal opinions or pro's and con's you've had?
Old 01-16-2022, 02:05 PM   #309
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,134 Times in 7,146 Posts
I’m not sure about carbon, but if you work with your hands, have a look at what it takes to get them off. I’ve heard of certain “non traditional “ rings really fucking peoples shit up because they can’t be cut off in an emergency.
I need to go get my finger tattooed cause I was always taking mine in and off and lost like 7 wedding rings haha. I haven’t worn one in like 5 years now.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 04:32 PM   #310

I no longer have to work with my hands because I'm now sitting at a desk. Took years to get all the calluses off but I've got delicate hands now.
I'd have it just a tad bigger than needed or just drop an lb or two. As is now I remove everything when it comes to sports so I'd be needing to have ot cone off easily. Could always copy what my buddy does - he wears a fake cheap ring and keeps his real ring on a necklace.
Old 01-16-2022, 10:40 PM   #311
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,904 Times in 3,867 Posts
I have an inexpensive carbon one, I think it's a pretty common design now but I got it at Costco. I've heard of similar issues with the non-traditional rings like tungsten ones not being able to be cut off in an emergency but irrc the carbon fiber ones can be cut easily or I wouldn't have gotten it. It looks exactly like this.

One thing I noticed is it scratches fairly easily, I forgot to take it off a couple times while working on things and it has a couple marks now but I'm the only person ever close enough to be able to see them. I also noticed that it doesn't react much to temperature whereas my hand does, so I can go from not being able to get it off when I'm hot to it nearly falling off on its own when cold. I've never had any other rings though so idk how metal or wood ones compare in these regards.

I haven't worn it since my youngest was born last year, I was taking it off all the time when working on cars/the house/skiing/etc before too though. I planned to get my finger tattooed as well but I'm coming up on 5 years and still haven't done it yet lol.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-25-2022, 11:03 PM   #312
My homepage has been set to RS

Got an appointment with Diamond deals and a few other jewellers. Anyone have experience with Diamond Deals? https://diamonddeals.ca/

Was referred here by a friend.

I'm also open to bluenile which seems like a really popular option - however it seems like they don't sell lab grown diamonds? My gf and I have spoken about whether a lab grown or the real deal is better and her opinion is she doesn't mind as long as it looks nice and especially wouldn't mind if it can be substantially larger if it's a lab grown.
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 04:57 AM   #313
RS Veteran

I do recall Blue Nile offers lab grown diamonds.

You have to juggle between lab grown and real diamonds in terms of your 4Cs and cost. If you land a diamond dealer who can offer something close to a lab grown in terms of cost, then you have a good problem to pick and choose.

Having said that, if you and your fiancée are happy with the cost and how the ring looks, go for it. Some savings can be had with lab grown diamonds and truthfully, with inflation and all, put the savings towards other important things like wedding funds and whatnot. Just remember, as others have posted in this page and the past few pages - larger does not mean better. Size and proportion also make a huge difference on how a ring looks when worn, so keep that in mind. Good luck, happy shopping, and keep us posted!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2022, 09:20 AM   #314
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,774 Times in 1,171 Posts
Good luck on your search, and yeah, bigger isn't better. Had a friend show off her 1ct+ engagement ring recently and the stone was dull, no luster, no shine... just a big clear-ish rock. I kept my mouth shut but then looked at my wife's ring, big difference in diamond quality even though the rock is 2/3rds the size maybe.

For wedding bands, I started using a silicone outdoorsy one. I find that I didn't quite like the feel of a gold/metal band, this one doesn't quite bother me as much.
fml
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 09:47 AM   #315
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
I bought mines from Blue Nile 10 months ago. The overall selection process itself on the website is quite straight forward, the only thing challenging is the sizing. They sent me one of those ring sizer ruler that wraps around your finger to get the ring size, when I received the ring it was still loose. It was off by like 0.25, it made such a big difference. Yeah I could have sent it back to get it resized, but I didn't want to take the risk of sending a $5000 engagement ring in the mail and potentially it getting lost or damaged.
I ended up getting her one of those plastic ring sizer adjuster that wraps around the bottom of the ring, so it holds snug in her finger. This is the drawback buying online versus buying locally in store.

Wedding ring/band, went locally this time so we can ensure exact perfect fitment. Minichiello Jewellers in downtown. Glad her finger is tiny, can keep cost low LOL. Things add up fast hahaha.
Euro7r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 10:25 AM   #316
RS Veteran

If you plan on having kids, it's okay to have some space on the ring because naturally, your soon to be wife's hands/fingers will swell due to natural changes to her body and while bearing your child, so just keep that in mind.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2022, 11:21 PM   #317
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
My wife choosed the band and the shape of diamond she liked but i choosed everything else. If i were to do it all over again, i would probably sacrifice the Clarity i went with and put that money towards getting a slighty bigger diamond. In the end, girls will be girls and they will always compare diamond sizes and u dont want to ur wife to have a substainly smaller diamond compared to her friends. Luckily for me, me and my buddies all got married at the same time and we all got our wives around the same size diamond. But i do know 2 wives in particular who were not entirely happy with the rings they received and they rarely ever wear them. Its not a coincidence that the diamonds were noticeably smaller than the rest.

Last edited by RiceIntegraRS; 04-26-2022 at 11:28 PM.
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 04:43 AM   #318

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
If you plan on having kids, it's okay to have some space on the ring because naturally, your soon to be wife's hands/fingers will swell due to natural changes to her body and while bearing your child, so just keep that in mind.
i just found a person who said just come back in and we'll resize it... not worth the hassle righ tnow to get a ring that's too big.
Old 04-27-2022, 04:46 AM   #319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
I bought mines from Blue Nile 10 months ago. The overall selection process itself on the website is quite straight forward, the only thing challenging is the sizing. They sent me one of those ring sizer ruler that wraps around your finger to get the ring size, when I received the ring it was still loose. It was off by like 0.25, it made such a big difference. Yeah I could have sent it back to get it resized, but I didn't want to take the risk of sending a $5000 engagement ring in the mail and potentially it getting lost or damaged.
I ended up getting her one of those plastic ring sizer adjuster that wraps around the bottom of the ring, so it holds snug in her finger. This is the drawback buying online versus buying locally in store.

Wedding ring/band, went locally this time so we can ensure exact perfect fitment. Minichiello Jewellers in downtown. Glad her finger is tiny, can keep cost low LOL. Things add up fast hahaha.

had this issue. I was pressed for time. Don't worry. The girl would be 1000% happy that you got the ring. Just go take it to the jeweler to get it resized. They said it woudl take 1 week. Just CALL round town, find an actual jewler who does it on the spot.

If you're at a small town, the smart jeweler will say, if you're scared, I'll just take the diamond off, you keep the diamond and we'll resize it and we can re-set it once its done. This was a great suggestion (if you dont' have a direct relatoinship with a jeweler).

we met a hands on guy and he did it for us in under 15 mins while watching him work
Old 04-27-2022, 06:33 AM   #320
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,313 Times in 5,634 Posts
I went to the diamond deals when I was looking before going with blue Nile. Their diamonds were trash compared to blue Nile for what you got for the cost.

5 years later and my wife’s diamond still gets compliments all the time, the fire is still crazy especially when it’s been cleaned, it will catch the light even on cloudy days etc
Old 04-27-2022, 03:24 PM   #321
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
i bought my engagement ring from MJ Jewellers https://mjjewellers.ca/

sat down with the sales person and was able to learn all about diamonds. no pressure to buy from them either.

sales person brought out a couple of diamonds for me to pick in my price range when i decided i wanted to go with them. Was also able to do a custom band from them as well. also got our wedding bands from them as well.
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 08:31 AM   #322
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Forgot if I chimed in here LOL

Bought a engagement ring for le gf/finance/etcetc from a guy my friend used (literally hole in the wall, with a GEOCITIES website)

S/O is pretty plain jane, asked her about her opinions about real/lab grown and she didn't really care as long as it was plain and simple.

Ended up with a simple band,1.23 carat lab grown diamond, on a white gold band for about $8000 cash

Initially I wanted a high spec'd .7carat mined diamond at the same price range (8-10k) but the guy shilled me on lab grown
FOREVER is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2022, 06:28 PM   #323
RS Veteran

Bump for HonestTea

Old 08-09-2022, 06:55 AM   #324
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
This thread keeps getting more and more expensive.
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-09-2022, 06:22 PM   #325
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Bump for HonestTea
did i miss something?
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote