REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Relationship & Gender Discussion

Relationship & Gender Discussion THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The thin line between love and hate
Mature discussion about understanding the opposite sex...

Old 11-09-2023, 10:06 PM   #351
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
Damn $300-$350?! That's it?! Your wife is a real one.

My GF showed me a damn ring for $6K and I laughed at her. Now I'm wondering if I'm being cheap
Wtf $300 - 1,000.

During thanksgiving, a convo amongst 8 - 12 girls in our group were laughing at the rings that the guys wanted to buy that were around $3 - 8K for mostly lab or smaller real. Had a debate between boys vs girl math that $3-8K labs were better than real at $13 - 25K. I speculate inflation takes into consideration though. $8K ring today is probably nowhere close to a $4K ring in 2013. I rather buy her a Miata before a $5K ring lol.

Out of all the 27 year olds girls, I know that got married so far
- $6K Lab - SWE
- $8K Lab - Plumber
- $40K Real - Doctor older dude
- $10K Real - Government admin clerk but lives in AB
- $5K lab - > Upgraded to $40K once the dude 10x his income

Friend is proposing tmr, I'll ask him how much it is when he's back.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]

Last edited by Gerbs; 11-10-2023 at 09:56 AM.
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2023, 05:49 AM   #352
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,346 Times in 973 Posts
1.32ct vvs1 E for lab grown is now at 7-8k CDN let alone a diamond
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 09:30 AM   #353
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,579 Times in 1,722 Posts
This is all good info, the ring she showed me was lab made (obviously).

I would never even consider buying earth mined, regardless. Would leave a woman happily that would demand that.

Fuck out of here if you think I'm paying thousands of dollars for a mineral mined out by an African brethren making pennies on the dollar
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2023, 10:01 AM   #354
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Quote:

My GF showed me a damn ring for $6K and I laughed at her. Now I'm wondering if I'm being cheap
That's what happens when you're marrying an accountant lol.

I would've been fine spending more but traditional engagement rings aren't her style. I looked at a bunch of rings at a bunch of stores and the only one I found that I knew she'd like ended up being a normal ring that wasn't too expensive.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2023, 10:02 AM   #355
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
What throws me off is the female nature and attitude towards the ring and weddings. If the relationship is solid and the future looks bright. I don't understand how the ring + wedding can shatter the women's view/opinion on their partner especially amongst their female social circle. Causes a lot of friction when there's compromises and imo that's a red flag and you should GTFO and run from engagement.

Boy math in me will pay the $5-15K for the ring to not worry/stress about it. Pay to win lol

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2023, 12:55 PM   #356
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,305 Times in 2,513 Posts
As with so many other things, society has romanticized (and commercialized) the notion of weddings and the associated stuff far too much, to the point that it became the end instead of the means or the on-going journey that will continually require work (to keep the relationship going and functional). But alas, we don't just do this with weddings. Even with cars, performance get romanticized to the point where having them becomes the end goal in and of itself, when the majority of car owners only tap into a fraction of that "performance" while straight line accelerating on the street.

From an (evolutionary) psychology's POV, women requiring commitment from their partner is part of their biological programming. Back in the caveman days, having a kid + child rearing means women won't be able to go hunt / scavenge / gather food, so commitment from men became essential to support the women as well as the offspring. In modern times, the animal instinct doesn't go away, but commitment morphed into that rock & ring, plus home ownership.

Back in my late 20's to early 30's, I know a few girls that were super fixated on finding a guy just so that they can have their dream wedding. I knew a Mainland Chinese girl in her late 20's at the time, and she married a guy she had no love for just bcos she was already way late on getting married by (Mainland) Chinese standards. I was never certain whether she did it just to appease her parents, to conform to her view of "societal norm", or whether there was some other reason, but it was whacked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
What throws me off is the female nature and attitude towards the ring and weddings. If the relationship is solid and the future looks bright. I don't understand how the ring + wedding can shatter the women's view/opinion on their partner especially amongst their female social circle. Causes a lot of friction when there's compromises and imo that's a red flag and you should GTFO and run from engagement.

Boy math in me will pay the $5-15K for the ring to not worry/stress about it. Pay to win lol
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-16-2023, 08:54 PM   #357
RabidMod

Thanked 1,100 Times in 408 Posts
Generalizing, I think women skew a little more sensitive to societal perception, and tend to be more judgmental and nosy amongst their circles. Can't blame them that that's how it is for them and they can't do anything about it.

Lucked out that my wife's circle of friends leans toward practical and even has one close MD friend she looks up to, who had insisted on getting a lab grown sapphire from her fiance for her engagement ring. That set us up for full freedom to go either lab or mined at a responsible price. Except her freaking mom came out of no where with random comments like "oh I'd be SO embarrassed if I had any lab grown anything. I was told by a jeweler that they won't even do adjustments on a ring if it has a dirty fake diamond in it because it could just shatter and that's a liability." Fml so in the end, my wife couldn't defy her meddling mom.

At least we were able to source a probably-not-blood diamond from a Canadian mine.
Old 11-17-2023, 12:13 PM   #358
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,579 Times in 1,722 Posts
Her mom sounds like a dumb bitch. That's not even true.

Places like Spence Diamonds sells lab grown, they'll do whatever alterations are needed at anytime.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2023, 08:57 AM   #359
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts
Quote:

happy wife = happy life

If you do your research, could probably find a very similar/better ring for cheaper... esp if its custom made local/Canada.

tons of info located in this thread. https://forums.redflagdeals.com/have...thing-1367216/

I proposed back in March and were getting married in February
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2023, 11:13 AM   #360
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,454 Times in 5,114 Posts
Way back when I got married before I spent $7,500 on a 1 ct diamond... frickin thing looked tiny compared to the rocks I see most girls getting nowadays and just form a societal pressure standpoint if I were to do that again, I would feel pretty sheepish about it. Used to be that 1 ct was the standard now it's just barely passable?? Also I think 1 ct costs a lot more than $7,500 in today money.

It's mental out there. Bros need to stick together and fight back against these ungodly demands.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2023, 09:30 PM   #361
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3mps View Post
Bump.

Anyone have experience with Pure Diamond in DT Van?
I have an appointment with him on Thursday as he's got a 20% promo and his diamond prices are very impressive.

Thanks
If his name is Alexei (sp?), I went with him back in late 2019/early 2020. Overall, the experience was very good he did mined and lab diamonds. Also, he does custom designs, which my wife did with him on the spot.

At that time we ended up with a lab grown 1.89ct for all-in for ~12k CAD.

We wanted to get our wedding bands with him too but he replied super late, we thought he ghosted us. Ended up going elsewhere.

DM me if you want more details.
badgerx3 is offline   Reply With Quote