REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-21-2017, 11:37 AM   #751
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,187 Times in 360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuHua View Post
Tire rack's test puts the XI3 ahead in dry and wet and cornering in snow, the Blizzaks are better for snow/ice.
Thanks for the info! I found the link to the test: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=193
Advertisement
AstulzerRZD is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-21-2017, 11:51 AM   #752
Cool beans bro

Thanked 1,054 Times in 231 Posts
Picked up 215/60r16 Haka R2s in the US from Discount Tire by phoning in and getting them to pricematch other retailers on eBay. They sell them for $149 USD a piece vs $170 CAD at Kaltire which alone wasnt a good deal at all. But I managed to get them down to $110 USD each shipped to Blaine. Blows Kaltire's monopoly out of the water.

If you can find the R2 sizing on Discount Tires eBay site, you get $100 off $400 purchase which sweetens it even more. Yes I know you "Potentially" pay taxes but if you head down for a day or two chances are slim.
JordanLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:41 PM   #753
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkhomer View Post
when you guys thinking of putting on winter tires this year?
Got mine on last week after it hailed all over South Surrey/White Rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 04:12 PM   #754
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
I just went to CT and ordered the WinterContact SI. I booked an appointment to get them mounted and balanced later this week. Cost me $87 for mount/balance, tire disposal fee, and shop supplies fee. I probably could have saved money by just picking up the 4 tires and getting it installed elsewhere, but whatever. Time is money too. Don't want any more hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkhomer View Post
when you guys thinking of putting on winter tires this year?
I'll wait until temps are consistently below 7°C, and I mean as in it's that cold when it's during the day, and closer to freezing at night.

IMO, It's "Too soon, Junior"
But if you don't want to work in the cold (if you DIY) or have even longer line ups, it wouldn't hurt to get it done earlier. Once it gets cold enough like in mid-late Nov, I can imagine lineups for wheel installing will be even worse than now.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-21-2017, 06:01 PM   #755
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
This thread gets more views than the snowboarding one, so im going to ask in here.

Yes I'll have winter tires, but how are the roads to any of the interior mountains (big white, silverstar, hemlock, rev, etc) and mt. baker in terms of vertical car clearance? Or irrelevant because all the roads are typically paved. For example, will a stock height sedan run into any issues vs a stock height suv (both having winter tires).
Old 10-21-2017, 06:23 PM   #756
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,923 Times in 3,876 Posts
I can only comment on Big White, but I've seen a lowered VW up there. They're usually good about plowing it, the only spot I imagine you might have problems is the parking lots since they're just dirt with plowed snow on top but even those usually aren't bad. I'd suggest avoiding the Black Forest (last) parking lot in a car though.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-21-2017, 07:40 PM   #757
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Anyone using WinterContact Si?
I just got these installed on my Accord. My initial impressions on the drive home are that they are superior to the Dunlop Wintermaxx on wet weather performance. It took a lot more effort to break them loose and cornering ability was more confidence inspiring rather than treacherous. Mind you the Wintermaxx are 4 winter seasons old and wet weather performance greatly diminished year by year. Another thing to note is that the WinterContact SI are also much quieter on road. I will post an update once we get deeper into winter.
Spaceship_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:57 PM   #758
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
This thread gets more views than the snowboarding one, so im going to ask in here.

Yes I'll have winter tires, but how are the roads to any of the interior mountains (big white, silverstar, hemlock, rev, etc) and mt. baker in terms of vertical car clearance? Or irrelevant because all the roads are typically paved. For example, will a stock height sedan run into any issues vs a stock height suv (both having winter tires).
I’d say hemlock is not acceptable for a lowered car. It’s a gravel road similar to an FSR but more beat up due to the snow plows that run on it. And I believe you NEED chains regardless of whether you have winter tires or not. I may be wrong on the last point, haven’t been there in two years *edit* chains in the car, not necesssrily installed
Old 10-22-2017, 10:06 PM   #759
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,532 Times in 1,519 Posts
Anyone have experience with Antares tires? Reviews look pretty good online. I just found out my WRG2s have a slash in the side wall (and are 9 years old), so I'm in the market for tires.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:25 PM   #760
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Quote:

Can only comment on Sun Peaks and Big White, but they are fine with a lowered car (had VW GTI with coil-overs), and generally well-plowed as they want to keep their clientele safe.

I had tons of fun with my GTI at 2AM in the morning, hooning and taking the corners way too fast. Definitely good learning some car control on packed snow.
fml
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2017, 11:49 PM   #761
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:

Been to mt. baker multiple times, no problems in my lowered accord with snow tires.
anjewree is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2017, 09:42 AM   #762
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanLee View Post
Picked up 215/60r16 Haka R2s in the US from Discount Tire by phoning in and getting them to pricematch other retailers on eBay. They sell them for $149 USD a piece vs $170 CAD at Kaltire which alone wasnt a good deal at all. But I managed to get them down to $110 USD each shipped to Blaine. Blows Kaltire's monopoly out of the water.

If you can find the R2 sizing on Discount Tires eBay site, you get $100 off $400 purchase which sweetens it even more. Yes I know you "Potentially" pay taxes but if you head down for a day or two chances are slim.
$110 USD is currently $140 CDN. If Kaltire is charging $170, I dunno if that exactly blows it out of the water. Especially if you could potentially be charged with duty coming back up. And the time to go down and pick them up.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:59 AM   #763
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
$110 USD is currently $140 CDN. If Kaltire is charging $170, I dunno if that exactly blows it out of the water. Especially if you could potentially be charged with duty coming back up. And the time to go down and pick them up.
Totally lol. Plus you get warranty thru kal tire. Better to keep your money in Canada anyways.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:34 AM   #764
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Quote:
Nokian's tires are made in the US. Until Trump nixes NAFTA, you won't have to pay duty on them. GST/PST on the other hand yes. I'm not sure where the tires ended up getting sourced from but you might have to pay the local sales tax as well which might even out any savings. Since JordanLee mentioned $110 shipped, I'm assuming this with taxes, shipping, etc included.

Assuming that he's not paying taxes after staying a couple of days, $110 ($140CDN) vs $170+taxes ($190CDN) means he's saving $200. For $200, I think it might be worth it.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:23 PM   #765
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,923 Times in 3,876 Posts
If you want them as cheap as possible but still want a warranty I'd order them from PMC and pay the extra couple bucks for the road hazard coverage. For a vehicle I take on road trips I'll stick to Costco as much as possible (Kal Tire as the backup choice) for the warranty and availability. Most places you go you're close to one of those shops.

On sort of a side note I went offroading with a couple buddies yesterday, we weren't expecting to find snow so two of us stayed on newer BFG KM mud tires (M+S rated) and the other had some fairly worn proper winters (25% front, 50% rear). It was good to test out the tires at low speeds and see just how bad they were on snow. The results made it very clear, the Jeep on worn out winters never had a problem and both Jeeps on mud tires got stuck going up different hills that really weren't very steep. At one point my Jeep just started sliding straight backwards and there was nothing I could do to stop it, which was a bit alarming.

This morning the brand new KO2's went on, which I'll be much more comfortable on when it snows.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2017, 04:14 PM   #766
GC8
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 1,146 Times in 121 Posts

tirerack special

18x8 Black Painted MOTEGI RACING MR118 +32mm
225/45R18 Continental WinterContact SI
GC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:19 PM   #767
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,532 Times in 1,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GC8 View Post

tirerack special

Did you get taxed?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:31 PM   #768
Cool beans bro

Thanked 1,054 Times in 231 Posts
Quote:
Forgot to mention I qualified for the $100 off 400 promo after the fact

Dude on the phone hooked it up and let me buy them through eBay. Retail was 110 USD each, 440 total - 100.

Unreal deal. Heading to Portland this month and will bring them back tax free.
JordanLee is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2017, 08:22 PM   #769
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
I priced out tires on costco.ca, they add Tire Installation ($60) and Tire Levy ($20) and then tax. But is the Order Total the final cost including putting the tires on rims I provide and putting them on the car? Balancing? Or when they call you to make an appointment, they will tell you the additional costs after? Never purchased from Costco before, thanks!
Old 10-23-2017, 08:57 PM   #770
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
haven't provided them with wheels not already on the hubs but I'm assuming it's the same...your online total is it
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:12 PM   #771
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Quote:

Dude on the phone hooked it up and let me buy them through eBay. Retail was 110 USD each, 440 total - 100.

That's an awesome deal. I got a set of WS80's for my folks last year for about the same price and had the $100 off too. Also got them mounted and balanced while I was down there since it was cheaper and I didn't have to fight for an installation time.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:42 PM   #772
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC8 View Post

tirerack special

My old neighbourino! Heh motegis on a c43

D-Built 2.0 LSVTEC TURBO
beatdownvictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:45 PM   #773
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
I priced out tires on costco.ca, they add Tire Installation ($60) and Tire Levy ($20) and then tax. But is the Order Total the final cost including putting the tires on rims I provide and putting them on the car? Balancing? Or when they call you to make an appointment, they will tell you the additional costs after? Never purchased from Costco before, thanks!
Speaking of Costco... my tires arrived last week. Costco and I have been playing phone tags. Richmond never pick up their call for an appointment. Should I just "show up"?
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:45 PM   #774
not the mod you're looking for

Thanked 1,537 Times in 556 Posts
Quote:

I just jumped on this deal too. Picked up a set of Altimax Arctic 12's for $344 USD.
FN-2199 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:30 PM   #775
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:

The roads leading up to the mountain resorts typically tend to be clear, or at least kept to a minimum amount of snow on the road. Where you'll come across an issue is the highways leading up to the mountains, especially those where you have to hit the Coquihalla first (Sun Peaks, Revelstoke, Big White, etc.) While the 5 and 97c are regularly plowed and maintained, it's not uncommon for either highway to get large dumps of snow. I almost got my old Nissan Pathfinder high centered late one night near the Coquihalla Summit from the amount of snow that was dumping. 97c around the mine can be a crapshoot at times as well when it comes to ground clearance.

Just an FYI.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: