REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-09-2019, 11:18 AM   #1426
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
roughly early-mid dec for vancouver
https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca...gion-by-region
they dont sell tires, but they're not car people, take what you will from it
the harder question seems to be when to remove winters in the springtime...late march is probably safe guess
Advertisement
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:54 PM   #1427
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,733 Times in 954 Posts
I drive around in Richmond with DWS-06. Honestly, it's pretty damn good last winter dump.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:50 PM   #1428
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

When are you guys gonna swap out to winters? Planning to do mine on the last weekend of November. Would that be pushing it? Mostly city driving
jjson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:59 PM   #1429
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Nov 1st to April 1st
DavidNguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:58 PM   #1430
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
roughly early-mid dec for vancouver
https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca...gion-by-region
they dont sell tires, but they're not car people, take what you will from it
the harder question seems to be when to remove winters in the springtime...late march is probably safe guess
They’re just looking at when the historical average high temperature falls below 7°C, which probably isn’t the best method, IMO.

I would probably use historical average daily temperature at the very least and probably pair that with the current ENSO cycle (earlier for a La Niña year, later for an El Niño year).

Or watch NOAA’s CPC forecast maps, which are generally fairly accurate a week or two out in terms of general temperature and precipitation.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:39 AM   #1431
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
I've already got my studded winters on. It snowed yesterday. It's been -7 to -8 overnight past few nights. Winter is here for me already

Heading down to Kamloops this weekend and I debated taking them off for the long drive but fuck it better safe than sorry I guess.

Berz out.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:56 PM   #1432
Old School RS

Thanked 3,945 Times in 1,201 Posts
Just ordered my WS90 blizzaks... bring on that winter. . Some good deals on there for WS80 closeouts as well.

-Mark
Old 10-26-2019, 08:20 AM   #1433
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
how do you know when it's time to buy a new set of winters?

other than tread wear is there a shelf life for the rubber?

i've had my set since winter of 2011 and have used it for 2-3 months each year since. per those visual inspection sheets during oil changes, tires are marked "good" each time.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 08:33 AM   #1434
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
how do you know when it's time to buy a new set of winters?

other than tread wear is there a shelf life for the rubber?

i've had my set since winter of 2011 and have used it for 2-3 months each year since. per those visual inspection sheets during oil changes, tires are marked "good" each time.
Average of 7 years; could start cracking by 4 or 5 years if improperly stored.
BrokenEuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:37 AM   #1435
MiX iT Up!

i dont see any cracks.

stored in garage - on two 2x4's so tires not directly no ground and wrapped in plastic tire bag.

can i ride out another season?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 10-27-2019, 12:32 PM   #1436
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Thanked 1,393 Times in 191 Posts
Rubber can last pretty long when stored in warmish garaged conditions with little sunlight UV to degrade the material. Just make sure you feel good "flexibility" in the rubber and look for rubber rot/cracks in the tread/sidewall. If those check out you'll be good to go. Five to seven years is a good area to be aware of rubber condition especially if they are subjected to harsh sunlight daily but there is no "hard" rule.

If there are signs of minor cracking, your winter tires will still be grippier in snowy/icy conditions than all seasons but just be mindful about what road condition challenges you tackle as they may not get you up a certain hill as they once did one or two seasons ago. You may not stop as fast too so just be on the lookout for tire sales if you can't afford full

Here's a test of what winters vs all seasons are like in very cold "dry" conditions.

You'll see that winter's advantage is when it's everything other than dry. Again if you're forced economically or space-wise to only run A/S tires just pick your battles wisely.

I have PSS on my car and I usually swap them out when snow is in the forecast OR if I know I'll be driving in conditions with any chance of frost/ice, usually at night. I don't drive in places that are ridden with huge potholes or sharp impact bumps so I don't worry much about cracking/damaging my summer rubber from impacts like that. Michelin recommends to not use PSS in low temps but I believe that is advice for the general population who don't think of scenarios like that. In dry conditions, my PSS have far better grip than my Blizzak LM60s, even below freezing, until precipitation is anything other than wet. Just use good calculated common sense on how rubber works and you'll be a step ahead of the weather.
Old 10-27-2019, 05:14 PM   #1437

i would think most winter drivers could care less about lap times

if i were to do it again (not caring about warm dry performance as a year-rounder) i'd probably try all-weather like the michelin xclimate+

i keep getting new A/S3+ due to Costco flat warranty

Last edited by twitchyzero; 10-27-2019 at 05:22 PM.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:15 PM   #1438

My friend from Montreal ran 18” Continental DWS06 staggered on his E46 330i 6MT while living here in Vancouver for two years. He said he didn’t have one problem. He went skiing to Whistler, Mount Baker, and the interior without any issues. He might be a special case just knowing how to handle a RWD in eastern winters for six months out of the year and not make it a big deal. Now that he moved back with the car, he’s forced to run separate tires so he’s on Hakkapeliitta 8s now.

While on the opposite scale, a friend here has Michelin AS3+ day on his 1 series and ended up abandoning his car on a downhill while trying to escape a freak snow storm because he felt the tires weren’t biting into the snow/slush and he didn’t want to fully slide down the hill.

The tread pattern on DWS06 seem far better with more siping for snow to stick into compared to AS3+. The AS3+ is a better A/S tire for dry and wet winter temps if you want handling and if you only drive your car in those conditions for winter.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:24 PM   #1439
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Quote:
i dont see any cracks.

stored in garage - on two 2x4's so tires not directly no ground and wrapped in plastic tire bag.

can i ride out another season?
I'm in the same boat. I've had my current winter set for 7 years (20,000 km driven), still 9/11 tread life. No signs of cracking or degrading of the rubber as I store it in plastic bags and in a garage.

Only thing I do notice is, it doesn't grip as superb as when it was new. General Altimax.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 07:41 PM   #1440

Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverT View Post
The tread pattern on DWS06 seem far better with more siping for snow to stick into compared to AS3+. The AS3+ is a better A/S tire for dry and wet winter temps if you want handling and if you only drive your car in those conditions for winter.
Are the DWS06 and the AS3+ M+S?

I'll probably be getting full winters for my E46, but all seasons/weather's for the Civic.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:01 PM   #1441

Winter tire discussion for grown ups thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
Are the DWS06 and the AS3+ M+S?

I'll probably be getting full winters for my E46, but all seasons/weather's for the Civic.

Here is DWS06 on our 5 series:

AS3+ on my car:
Old 10-28-2019, 12:17 PM   #1442
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,212 Times in 188 Posts
I'm not up to speed on this thread minus this page but I saw the recent comments on DWS06 and want to give my 2 cents.

I had the DWS06 on my old '02 Lexus IS300 and they were fine in the winter for when i needed to drive (i only drive when necessary with fresh snow on the road) and even made it from Surrey to Richmond when we had that crazy snowstorm on new years eve a couple of years ago. I was impressed.

I had a new set of DWS06 on my '09 Lexus ISF last winter and they were absolutely horrible. I'm not sure if it's because the car is heavier or if they were perhaps over-inflated or if the extra power was contributing to it but i was sliding when coming to a stop and spinning when i got going, so bad that I had to ditch my car on the way home one day when there was about 2 inches of fresh snow during the afternoon commute. I'm not the most experienced with snow driving and generally avoid driving when there is snow on the road but this was something else. I still have the tires on now and going to use them through the winter this year but won't be driving if there's white stuff on the ground.
smaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-28-2019, 02:06 PM   #1443

Make sure rire pressures are low when you drive in snow. Don’t be running 35psi in the snow or you won’t have much traction especially with a powerful torquey RWD. It doesn’t take much to overwhelm traction and then it’s lost forever until you can get it back.

With RWD, my winters are on their last season and I was having troubles getting up an include last winter and forgot I was at just over 30psi. Once I dumped my pressure down to 22psi in the warming deep snow, I was fine and had no issue going up.

With AWD or FWD, pressure decrease is probably not needed. I didn’t have to when my tires had really thick tread so I pick my battles.

Once I got home and the streets cleared, I brought my pressures back up to what is was before so I didn’t wreck the tires and cause too much heat on a dry/wet surface.
Old 10-28-2019, 02:59 PM   #1444
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,212 Times in 188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverT View Post
Make sure rire pressures are low when you drive in snow. Don’t be running 35psi in the snow or you won’t have much traction especially with a powerful torquey RWD. It doesn’t take much to overwhelm traction and then it’s lost forever until you can get it back.

With RWD, my winters are on their last season and I was having troubles getting up an include last winter and forgot I was at just over 30psi. Once I dumped my pressure down to 22psi in the warming deep snow, I was fine and had no issue going up.

With AWD or FWD, pressure decrease is probably not needed. I didn’t have to when my tires had really thick tread so I pick my battles.

Once I got home and the streets cleared, I brought my pressures back up to what is was before so I didn’t wreck the tires and cause too much heat on a dry/wet surface.
Probably where i went wrong last year. I opted out of getting separate winter dedicated tires this year and continuing to use the DWS06 with plenty of life left so will try this if i absolutely need to go out in the white stuff this year.
smaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 05:49 PM   #1445

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaggs View Post
Probably where i went wrong last year. I opted out of getting separate winter dedicated tires this year and continuing to use the DWS06 with plenty of life left so will try this if i absolutely need to go out in the white stuff this year.

You’ll be fine. Your car is an auto so I think you might be able to take advantage of a winter mode?? which will start your car in second gear, faking a high range of a 4x4 truck, so your torque doesn’t instantly get put down, overwhelming rear traction. If not hopefully you can manually start in second gear when you use manual mode.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:00 PM   #1446

what's the speed limit on coq when it snows and what speed do people drive at?

big white in mid-feb on as3+ and carry chains just in case? (fwd)

will check traffic cam beforehand

had no problems with the twisties at baker 2 winters now
Old 10-28-2019, 06:15 PM   #1447

Quote:

80km/hr iirc. But we went 60km/hr hazards on stayed right as much as we could w/o ending up in the bank.

Semi's will go at 90km/hr+ and others 70/80(?). When semi's go by, you won't have visibility for at least 10 seconds.

We didn't get stuck on General Altimax in an E46 325ci. Chains would have been nice and wipers that didn't freeze would have been great too.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-28-2019, 08:08 PM   #1448
MiX iT Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
I'm in the same boat. I've had my current winter set for 7 years (20,000 km driven), still 9/11 tread life. No signs of cracking or degrading of the rubber as I store it in plastic bags and in a garage.

Only thing I do notice is, it doesn't grip as superb as when it was new. General Altimax.
I notice the same.
I have the same tires too!

Are you going to buy a new set? group buy LOL?

PM? serious. trying to decide buy or get by this season.

Old 10-28-2019, 10:25 PM   #1449
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,905 Times in 3,868 Posts
Quote:

big white in mid-feb on as3+ and carry chains just in case? (fwd)

will check traffic cam beforehand

had no problems with the twisties at baker 2 winters now
Depends entirely on the conditions, I've been on there doing nearly the old speed limit one way in 2WD and doing about 40 on the way back in 4WD seeing loads of vehicles in the ditch.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:38 PM   #1450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
Quote:
I notice the same.
I have the same tires too!

Are you going to buy a new set? group buy LOL?

PM? serious. trying to decide buy or get by this season.
I was gonna buy General Altimax .. should I not? I'm in for group buy, if it's cheaper than PMC Tires.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk