REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:25 PM   #26
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

What was the size of this guy out of curiosity? All bets usually are well off after some cocksucker kicks the car. I would aim to hurt someone somehow if they kicked my car. I would feel like a bitch not getting out of the car. Allthough staying in the car and avoiding this situation I DO REALIZE is the smart thing to do usually. Who wants to get hurt, or get an assault charge? Logically.
Advertisement
E-SPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:56 AM   #27
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
I reached out to a separate VPD officer (not the one who came to get my statement/evidence) and he told me that the guy is now in their system as a road rage suspect, court date would likely be sometimes next year (depending on whether he pleads guilty or not) and I may or may not have to testify. Sentence would likely be monetary but most likely just for the damages. It'd also likely be easier and faster to get compensated for damages through ICBC but that's not really what I'm after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-SPEC View Post
What was the size of this guy out of curiosity? All bets usually are well off after some cocksucker kicks the car. I would aim to hurt someone somehow if they kicked my car. I would feel like a bitch not getting out of the car. Allthough staying in the car and avoiding this situation I DO REALIZE is the smart thing to do usually. Who wants to get hurt, or get an assault charge? Logically.
Guy was maybe 5'9 white guy in his 50's, not jacked whatsoever just a grumpy old fart in a sweater vest. As temporarily satisfying as it might be for some to beat the shit out of someone a criminal record at my age would do way more harm to myself in the long run. Cutting your nose off to spite the face is never a good idea and I've built a pretty thick skin working retail for many years.

If you think you'd feel like a pussy you're definitely watching too many movies or playing too much GTA. I'd feel like a pretty big pussy IMO had my buddy and I got out and beat the crap out of a grumpy old fart in broad daylight. If your goal is to give the guy the impression you're not to be fucked with I think a much stronger point has been made with VPD and ICBC up his ass.

Last edited by ilvtofu; 11-22-2014 at 12:03 PM.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-22-2014, 12:04 PM   #28
I STILL don't get it

good on you to not get out of the car (according to posts from people who said have watched your vid). although it would have been badass to come out with a torque wrench or something...
entrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 01:03 PM   #29
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
I reached out to a separate VPD officer (not the one who came to get my statement/evidence) and he told me that the guy is now in their system as a road rage suspect, court date would likely be sometimes next year (depending on whether he pleads guilty or not) and I may or may not have to testify. Sentence would likely be monetary but most likely just for the damages. It'd also likely be easier and faster to get compensated for damages through ICBC but that's not really what I'm after.

Guy was maybe 5'9 white guy in his 50's, not jacked whatsoever just a grumpy old fart in a sweater vest. As temporarily satisfying as it might be for some to beat the shit out of someone a criminal record at my age would do way more harm to myself in the long run. Cutting your nose off to spite the face is never a good idea and I've built a pretty thick skin working retail for many years.

If you think you'd feel like a pussy you're definitely watching too many movies or playing too much GTA. I'd feel like a pretty big pussy IMO had my buddy and I got out and beat the crap out of a grumpy old fart in broad daylight. If your goal is to give the guy the impression you're not to be fucked with I think a much stronger point has been made with VPD and ICBC up his ass.

Gotta agree with this. You land a kick or a punch wrong and the guy's paralyzed for life, or you shove him and he falls into oncoming traffic and gets run over by a car -- then what?

Much better to go the legal way -- you know, assuming it's broad day light and all. Otherwise, yolo swag 420 blaze 'em
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-24-2014, 08:53 AM   #30
F**K YOUR HEAD

So, spoke with ICBC about not paying my $300 deductible and going with a dent repair shop that would probably be in the $100-200 range and they replied with this.

Quote:
The $300 deductible is what’s known as the “uninsured portion”. This means that the motorist is responsible for the first $300 and ICBC pays the rest. If anything is over the $300. We try to retrieve the money from the suspect but legally, we are not supposed to attempt to retrieve the uninsured portion that the motorist had to pay. We do it on a courtesy basis only…. If the damage is less than $300 (which I would go for that for sure!) then you would need to recover that portion directly from the suspect. You can do that through the RCMP by advising them what the amount was and they can put that down for the Judge when you formally charge the suspect. The RCMP will ask that amount in restitution.

Hope this makes sense. There is no sense in paying more than you have to. If you pay the $300 deductible and go through ICBC, your chances of getting that money back are still very slim. I would go the least expensive route. This is all very unfortunate for you, I realize.
The adjuster is from Kelowna so she probably just has vpd/rcmp mixed up but what I get from this is the guy is not obligated to pay ICBC back? or is it simply ICBC doesn't want to burn too many calories goiing after him?
Either way I'm heading down to dent king today to get a quote.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-24-2014, 01:12 PM   #31
F**K YOUR HEAD

So went to dent king which was great because the damage is actually worse than I originally suspected, up close I could only tell the 1" or so epicentre(?) of where he kicked and even then both myself and the VPD officer could barely see it.
When Raymond at Dent King took a look he could already see it from 5ft away

The smudged part is where I originally thought the extent of the damage was but it actually goes all the way up to the door handle pretty much as you can see from the reflection of the red golf. (the roof of that car is not actually caved in lol)

With that in mind the quote is still pretty reasonable considering the larger extent of the damage and I will forward this to VPD
Old 11-29-2014, 03:00 PM   #32
F**K YOUR HEAD

So timeline of events:
Nov 19: incident happens and report filed with VPD/ICBC
Nov 20: Constable from VPD comes to my place to pick up video/statement, and inspects the car for damage. Tells me they will speak to the suspect.
Nov 24: Go to DentKing for quote and e-mail same VPD constable the quote and pictures (previous post in this thread)
Nov 26: Leave voicemail to try and follow up with her as I haven't heard anything back from her yet.

At this point I don't even know if she's received my e-mail or my voicemail. She told me they would contact the suspect on the 20th but I have no idea whether they did or didn't. Should I keep leaving her voicemails and e-mails or is this the typical pace of things? Is there another number I should contact?
I was debating whether to call the general inquiries line or perhaps even the non-emergency line to follow up. At the same time I don't want to be a nuisance and feel like perhaps they have more important things to deal with.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:44 PM   #33
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I don't know the proper procedure is, since I have 0 experience with contacting Police.

But normally, if someone tells me they will do something on X day, and forget to contact me (Like after a Job interview where the interviewer says they will contact me in 2 days, but forgets), I will wait a few days more (week tops) and then contact them in a humble / well mannered way.

Ask them if there was any progress etc in a very well mannered way, with a bunch of "thank you for your time", and "sorry for troubling you" etc etc, typical stuff xD

Theres really no reason for them to feel that you are a "nuisance". In fact, from my experience, its usually the other party simply got busy and forgot. And you contacting them reminds them (and they usually are the ones who feel bad for not contacting you).

Really hope whatever you are doing about this case turns up good for you. Jerks like that really need to get a reality check.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:33 PM   #34
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
Quote:
So timeline of events:
Nov 19: incident happens and report filed with VPD/ICBC
Nov 20: Constable from VPD comes to my place to pick up video/statement, and inspects the car for damage. Tells me they will speak to the suspect.
Nov 24: Go to DentKing for quote and e-mail same VPD constable the quote and pictures (previous post in this thread)
Nov 26: Leave voicemail to try and follow up with her as I haven't heard anything back from her yet.

At this point I don't even know if she's received my e-mail or my voicemail. She told me they would contact the suspect on the 20th but I have no idea whether they did or didn't. Should I keep leaving her voicemails and e-mails or is this the typical pace of things? Is there another number I should contact?
I was debating whether to call the general inquiries line or perhaps even the non-emergency line to follow up. At the same time I don't want to be a nuisance and feel like perhaps they have more important things to deal with.
From my experiences from dealing with the Richmond/Surrey RCMP, they usually like to take their dear time with everything.

I was a victim of a road rage incident and was also wanting to pursue criminal charges and was going back and forth with a constable as well. The first few exchanges within the first week were all timely, however after things had been worked out to a certain point, it took the constable two weeks to return my call, they ended up telling me that the constable was away on vacation.

A prior situation in which I was also dealing with RCMP, I was told the same reason for a significantly delayed call, that the constable was away on vacation.

[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:11 AM   #35
I STILL don't get it

A asshole like this who's delusional enough to get out of his car, and chastise/flip-out at/get physical towards YOU after HE did something wrong; has had a lifetime of convincing himself that his twisted sense of right and wrong is correct.
A stern talking to from the VPD isn't going to do shit. Assholes like this guy live in their own world where everyone is an asshole and everyone has it in for them.
Pieces of shit like this won't learn until one of their bad decisions takes away their home, car, money, livelihood, and puts him on the street.

Charge him and post it all over social media. Chances are you aren't the only one who's had a run-in with this guy, and HOPEFULLY, multiple people including you will give him what he deserves.
wstce92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:22 AM   #36
RS controls my life!

Constables are always on vacation, cannot answer call although they are in their office, leave a message, will get back to you after 3 weeks etc... the backlog is horrible. Most people probably give up pursuing the offender encouraging bad behavior to continue.
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:02 AM   #37
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Sucks to hear OP has to go through this shit.

Where is batman when you need him?

Sadly, it looks like there is no clear cut way for you to walk out feeling you've won 100%.

It's going to cost you money to repair it yourself if you let him go or if you do pursue him it's going to cost you future resources.

The only thing you can really take away from pressing charges is you feel like you didn't let this asshole get away with it.

But yea like many have said props to you for not getting out of the car.
123654123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 05:14 AM   #38
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Don't listen to what the police have to say about the charges, do what your heart tells you to. I remember when i was assaulted after i got rear ender at a stop sign, the police that responded to the call told me not to press charges on the fellow. It's more "paperwork" for them.

BlAh~
LC21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:48 AM   #39
Need my Daily Fix of RS

rear ended then assualted?

the road rage is strong in some people
123654123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:21 PM   #40
F**K YOUR HEAD

Just wanna update by saying I called again on Dec 9 to the number on the business card the constable gave me which has a number to her voicemail, basically asking for any update on the situation and whether she even received my email with the quote from dent king. Almost 5 days later still not response.

Who is the next person in the chain of command for me to contact? Has been 3 weeks since I emailed the quote and still no response, even a simple 'got it' would be better than nothing. At this point I don't even know whether the attachment even made it through.

I'm going to call the general inquiries line tomorrow and see if they can be of any assistance but so far I feel like the wait is getting a little out of hand.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:00 AM   #41
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Don't give up!
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 12:05 PM   #42
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Just wanna update by saying I called again on Dec 9 to the number on the business card the constable gave me which has a number to her voicemail, basically asking for any update on the situation and whether she even received my email with the quote from dent king. Almost 5 days later still not response.

Who is the next person in the chain of command for me to contact? Has been 3 weeks since I emailed the quote and still no response, even a simple 'got it' would be better than nothing. At this point I don't even know whether the attachment even made it through.

I'm going to call the general inquiries line tomorrow and see if they can be of any assistance but so far I feel like the wait is getting a little out of hand.
Email her and ask her if she received your attachments and that you left her a voicemail as well. I know as a victim of this you want closure, but investigation, even simple ones take some time. She may be on vacation or hadn't had the time to check her messages/email. You could call the non emergency line, give them your file number and ask to speak to someone regarding that investigation as the lead investigator has not replied to your messages.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:11 PM   #43
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,904 Times in 3,867 Posts
Having seen the vid the way the guy acted it wasn't the first time he's done something like that, this guy needs to be punished to the full extent of the law.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 01:45 PM   #44
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Having seen the vid the way the guy acted it wasn't the first time he's done something like that, this guy needs to be punished to the full extent of the law.
Too bad it's Canada's legal system you are talking about.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2014, 03:07 PM   #45
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,904 Times in 3,867 Posts
True, but still better than nothing.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 01:59 PM   #46
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
This is the problem. It just takes way too long to resolve something like this.
Which is exactly why so many people feel more satisfied to just get out of the car and sock that guy in the face.

No, it's not a smart idea, nor is it something you should do. But at the end of this whole mess, it's taking up OP's time excessively just to deal with something that shouldn't take so long.

How do we encourage legal action when the results take forever?
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 03:26 PM   #47
F**K YOUR HEAD

Called the general inquiries line and they say she is on her shift today meaning she's not on vacay or out of town. Was also given the e-mail for her sergeant so that will be my next step if there is no update by Monday.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:40 AM   #48
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

One time, I called an officer on their cellphone by accident. He called to return my call but didn't block his number but he left me a message. Not realizing it was his cell phone, I called him back and he was quite surprised asking how I got the number.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:46 PM   #49
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,161 Times in 301 Posts
Just curious. What is the licence plate and car of this said person? I want to avoid any conflicts on the road and having to potentially deal with something like this if he road rages again
Galactic_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:52 PM   #50
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,689 Times in 1,624 Posts
...are you going to pull over, pull out your notepad, and see if the car whose driver is now kicking your car matches the licence plate you had written down previously?

You can avoid conflict by, I don't know, avoiding conflict. And if you feel threatened, call 911 while driving.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote