REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:27 AM   #1
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Whether to proceed with Criminal Charges

Looking for advice about what to do

So long story short:
- I'm driving on W 12th ave
- guy cuts me off as we're both accelerating to get through the yellow light
- forces me into oncoming traffic (no contact was made) and I honk at him
- we stop at the next red light with him in front of me
- he gets out yells at me and kicks my door
- I don't get out and he takes photos of me and my car
- We continue down 12th and he continues trying to pass people on the right until he turns off on Oak and we go our separate ways

All this is on video which I've shown to both ICBC and VPD, at the end of the day there is a minor dent on my door and everyone involved knows who caused it. But the VPD officer basically told me she didn't see any damage and if I don't choose to proceed with criminal charges or send her an estimate from the body shop the case will basically be closed.

The main reason I reported with VPD non-emergency and ICBC is that I wanted to get my side of the story and my evidence out there to avoid some messed up fabrication from this driver. (and also to get my door fixed)

I was told by VPD when I called not to publish the videos on social media so I took the links down, PO's of RS feel free to PM me for an unlisted link to the video.

Here is the damage which is admittedly minor

The charge VPD suggested was mischief which I can agree with, the man wilfully and maliciously damaged my property and as a matter of principle I understand why we might want to go through with charges. However I did notice the officer I spoke to was a bit hesitant and as a Criminology student at SFU I understand the mountain of paperwork these officers already have to do it. It's also been quite a stressful 24 hours for me going back and forth with VPD and ICBC and I don't know if this means even more stress on myself as well.

Will a stern talking to from a VPD officer be enough justice for the 50+ year old man to clean up his act? I would be interested if he has any history with road rage etc. which would definitely influence my decision but not sure how I can obtain that.
Advertisement
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2014, 09:34 AM   #2
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
This might be helpful: Laying Charges - JusticeBC - Criminal Justice Information and Support - Province of British Columbia
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:46 AM   #3
F**K YOUR HEAD

Definitely stuff I've studied before in university and in my opinion based the letter of the law this might be worthwhile.
His aggressive and confrontational nature is why I think it would be in the interest of the public, as many have already pointed out not everyone would have my level of restraint and the situation could have escalated much further had I or any other driver gotten out.
It can even be said to be in his own self interest to learn a valuable lesson as you don't know who is in the other car when you get out and confront someone.

My question is whether people with first hand experience think this is worth taxpayer dollars/police time/my time to proceed with.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:56 AM   #4
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,141 Times in 385 Posts
Man, kudos to you for not getting out of the vehicle after he kicked your door.

I don't think I could have done the same. Best of luck with your decision!
Old 11-20-2014, 10:05 AM   #5
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TjAlmeida View Post
Man, kudos to you for not getting out of the vehicle after he kicked your door.

I don't think I could have done the same. Best of luck with your decision!
Ilvtofu a lover, not a fighter.
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:25 AM   #6
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,753 Times in 3,868 Posts
Are you not able to go through icbc with this?
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:01 AM   #7
cho
sneaky beaky like

Thanked 4,512 Times in 638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgresch View Post
Ilvtofu a lover, not a fighter.
ifighttofu?
Old 11-20-2014, 11:05 AM   #8
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Follow through -- I saw the video and was seething with rage after I saw it

Fuck him man, people need to realize that they can't be 'tough guys' on the road -- sooner or later you will either meet someone that will set you straight (kick your ass), or has the financial means to pursue charges (this being the best way to deal with it obviously -- you heal from an asskicking within a week. Criminal charges stay with you forever).

You have video proof -- this is a pretty cut and dry case IMO. I think you should follow through -- one less asshole on the roads of Vancouver.

He should, at the very least, have to pay for paintless dent removal + your time spent dealing with this (taking you away from your studies, the stress on your personal life, etc)

Think about it this way -- right now he's probably at work/at home and has already gotten over what happened. Compare that to the past 24 hours you've been thru

Last edited by BrRsn; 11-20-2014 at 07:02 PM.
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:45 AM   #9
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Charge the bastard.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:56 AM   #10
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
just do what you feel is necessary dude. just keep in mind that if you go ahead with charges you might have to take time off work/school to go into court as a witness.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2014, 12:06 PM   #11
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
This, if you have the financial means and the time I would personally charge the fucker. And even if I didn't.... I probably would take out a credit line and add it to my list of damages lol.

Wannabe tough-guys need to learn a lesson one way or another, if he doesn't reap any kind of consequence he'll probably do it again and again to someone until something REALLY bad happens. Think of it as doing him a favour
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2014, 12:08 PM   #12
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,689 Times in 1,624 Posts
I would proceed with charges too, even though it'll take up my/other's time/resources.

I think there's a line that needs to be drawn. If it's so petty that it makes YOU feel like an ass for pursuing it, then don't. If the asshole's actions are weighing you down, then proceed.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:15 PM   #13
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
Think about it this way -- right now he's probably at work/at home and has already gotten over what happened. Compare that to the past 24 hours you've been thru
i was thinking the exact same thing. he'll probably do it to someone else that will piss him off...i'm imagining him doing that to someone with kids in the car.

but ultimately it's your time...

any reason why VPD says not to post on social media?

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2014, 12:43 PM   #14
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,290 Times in 2,507 Posts
My recommendation is to go with whatever you feel most comfortable with. You already know that pursuing charges will eat up a bit of your time. Depending on how much value you place on that estimated and drawn out amount of time trial will require, you can probably come up with a decision.

If you do not pursue with charges, is there any way for you to get some assurance from the police that they will seek this guy out and have a stern talk with him?
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:48 PM   #15
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
I say charge him and teach him a lesson... He's responsible for his own actions he should be held accountable for everything he did. It's great you stayed in your car but think about what could of happened if you didn't or if he has done the same to someone else in the past.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2014, 01:22 PM   #16
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 5,279 Times in 603 Posts
Whatever you decide to do, don't act upon your emotions. Proceed objectively; and if you truly feel that this guy is in need of a good censuring, go for it. Otherwise, it's only gonna stress you out even further and be a waste of time and resources
Old 11-20-2014, 02:10 PM   #17
F**K YOUR HEAD

Wow really great responses guys, I think I need to ask the VPD officer more questions
@pinn3r exactly why I wanted opinion, acting on emotion I think the obvious choice is tearing him a new one through the criminal justice system. At the moment my schedule is flexible enough to be a witness/make statements but knowing how long something like this would take to get started that might be a year or two down the road?
Old 11-20-2014, 02:15 PM   #18
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 2,708 Times in 364 Posts
Guy needs a new asshole. Tear one up by proceeding with criminal charges for hit n run
Old 11-20-2014, 02:30 PM   #19
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Just curious here, not trying to be an ass, but I'm not sure what the CRIMINAL charges would be in this case? Assaulting your car? Cutting you off isn't a criminal offense. I'm no lawyer, but it seems to me something like misdemeanor vandalism is the most you could pin on him here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 03:07 PM   #20
F**K YOUR HEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Just curious here, not trying to be an ass, but I'm not sure what the CRIMINAL charges would be in this case? Assaulting your car? Cutting you off isn't a criminal offense. I'm no lawyer, but it seems to me something like misdemeanor vandalism is the most you could pin on him here...
Not sure if I wrote it in the op as I'm on mobile but vpd recommended mischief. No one is trying to throw him in jail here
Old 11-20-2014, 03:48 PM   #21
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 5,279 Times in 603 Posts
yeah courts are clogged to shit. if you decide to proceed, document all details so you won't forget by then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Mischief

430. (1) Every one commits mischief who wilfully

(a) destroys or damages property;
(b) renders property dangerous, useless, inoperative or ineffective;
(c) obstructs, interrupts or interferes with the lawful use, enjoyment or operation of property; or
(d) obstructs, interrupts or interferes with any person in the lawful use, enjoyment or operation of property.

Punishment

(4) Every one who commits mischief in relation to property, other than property described in subsection (3),

(a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years; or
(b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

Criminal Code
Old 11-20-2014, 05:31 PM   #22
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
I say go for it. Like most members on here I love my car more than anything, if you have the balls to do any damage to it I will do everything in my power to make your life hell.

IF the guy was a younger kid i might reconsider screwing up his future but the guy is 50 already and still road raging . Would send a message telling people they can't always get away with shit they do and will have to face consequences.

21' 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
23' VW MK8 GTI 40th Anniversary
18' Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
21' Ducati Streetfighter V4 S

--
16' Mineral Grey F80 BMW M3 6MT SOLD -11/22
22' Halo Toyota GR86 6MT SOLD -11/22
12' Phantom Black - B8 Audi S4 - SOLD 04/19
07' WDP Acura TL Type-S - A-Spec/ATLP/H&R - SOLD 12/17
18' Matte Silver Ice - Triumph 765 Street Triple RS - SOLD 4/21
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 05:31 PM   #23
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I agree with everyone else. Charge him! What has ICBC said about fixing the damage?

I'm not familiar with the procedures but after the charges are laid, if you feel a message has been sent, can you drop the charges thereafter?
Old 11-20-2014, 05:35 PM   #24
F**K YOUR HEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed2K View Post
I agree with everyone else. Charge him! What has ICBC said about fixing the damage?

I'm not familiar with the procedures but after the charges are laid, if you feel a message has been sent, can you drop the charges thereafter?
I pay the deductible and use my comprehensive coverage ($300), they go after him for the deductible for me.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:31 PM   #25
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,290 Times in 2,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
I pay the deductible and use my comprehensive coverage ($300), they go after him for the deductible for me.
That sounds pretty good. There is no way ICBC will be unable to track him down, and if this other guy still wants to drive around with a valid licence, he better pay ICBC off.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote