REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:49 PM   #101
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
This is so true. Guess what? The world is unfair, get over it.

Success people usually had "turning point" in their life. Life event or something that changed their life. Sudden cash flow, meeting someone big, like anything.

If you keep working hard like slave for no reason, without vision, goal, inspiration, luck, and all the other factors, you probably won't go anywhere.

Have you ever seen people who have been working at McDonalds or same grocery store, restaurants, etc. for last few decades?

Sure, you can be a hard working employee, but you will be probably be stuck there for few decades and that's would probably be it.
Yeah, life can be unfair sometimes. So, for the ugly and short people, people who have poor communication skills, people who have no connections, etc., we should just say, "Fuck them. I win in life and I got mine. Darwinism prevails."

$15/hour as a minimum wage is a foolish policy, but some people here are so ignorant of the fact that they've probably been the beneficiary of so many advantages compared to other people in this city and country who are just as "hard working" and smart as they are (probably even more so).

To all the hard workers out there: when I in my 20s, I had a Joe-job working as a clerk in a retail store. I was probably one of the hardest working people there, I never made any mistakes, I always looked presentable, and I was personable with customers. However, I was the first to get canned during layoffs because I didn't play the political game and I didn't have fake tits. So much for being hard working, eh?
Advertisement
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:30 PM   #102
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seven View Post
Raising minimum wage to $15 an hour, absolutely not, 100% against that. We should be reducing costs and hindrances to do business and providing more incentives to corporations and businesses to setup in BC and Canada if we really want to improve the job market.

I'm sick of all these people complaining that they can't make a living wage because they have 2-3 kids to support or can't find a better job with their BA degree. Those people have no accountability, who told them to have kids when they aren't financially ready for that responsibility. No one forced them to go to school for a general BA degree with not much of a career prospect.

IMO, the bottom line is, if you are worth more than minimum wage, your employer will happily pay you more than that to retain you. You want a better wage or career, be smart enough to specialize and choose an education or trade in a field where there is a need and demand. No "McJob" should be $15/hr.
Totally agree

What bothers me the most is listening to post-secondary graduates who can't pay their student loan (amongst other bills) because they're working a minimum wage job despite having a degree/certificate.

These people obviously have some degree of talent/intelligence/work ethic as those are pretty necessary to succeed at the post-secondary level, yet they just expect to be handed their dream job in whatever fantasy-land field they chose.

The smart thing to do is to choose a field that's in demand and caters to your strengths, even if it's not your dream job.

Once you're making decent money, you can always save up for a few years and go back to school to get your dream job, plus you have something to put on your resume that separates you from the pack of kids. ... And, of course, if it doesn't work out, you still have a decent-paying industry to go back to.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-26-2014, 09:50 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Yeah, life can be unfair sometimes. So, for the ugly and short people, people who have poor communication skills, people who have no connections, etc., we should just say, "Fuck them. I win in life and I got mine. Darwinism prevails."

$15/hour as a minimum wage is a foolish policy, but some people here are so ignorant of the fact that they've probably been the beneficiary of so many advantages compared to other people in this city and country who are just as "hard working" and smart as they are (probably even more so).

To all the hard workers out there: when I in my 20s, I had a Joe-job working as a clerk in a retail store. I was probably one of the hardest working people there, I never made any mistakes, I always looked presentable, and I was personable with customers. However, I was the first to get canned during layoffs because I didn't play the political game and I didn't have fake tits. So much for being hard working, eh?
Ultimately, at the end of the day, the higher-ups are going to keep the people that give them the most of what they're looking for. It's up to you to make yourself as valuable as possible in the eyes of the people who control your fate. Not everyone sees hard work as valuable (in fact, it can be detrimental in certain cases).

The other thing is, if what's valuable to them isn't in line with what you have to offer (or are willing to offer), it's probably best that you find another employer, anyways.

You sound bitter, but you really shouldn't be, IMO. I think most of us have had those jobs where our boss(es) doesn't appreciate and/or value us and, ultimately, we'll never be happy and/or successful in that environment. It's best to move on in that case.

Last edited by Jmac; 11-26-2014 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:55 PM   #104
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Once you have money and your divorce is finalized in your 40's you can bang the shit out of "struggling" female university students

UVic students flock to ?sugar baby? website
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-26-2014, 09:59 PM   #105
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
You sound bitter, but you really shouldn't be, IMO. I think most of us have had those jobs where our boss(es) doesn't appreciate and/or value us and, ultimately, we'll never be happy and/or successful in that environment. It's best to move on in that case.

He's right. (Tapioca)

Start your own businesses and become as anti-fragile as you can become

Life is all about stepping on others to rise above. When you're on top you can take breaks from counting your money and fucking the hottest women who line up to ride your dick to point down at the struggling masses and say:

"$15 an hour minimum wage? Drop it to $8! Work harder, suckers!"
Old 11-26-2014, 10:03 PM   #106
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:

One last thing, good looking people, especially good looking women, are almost never, ever broke.

The DTES is full of the absolutely ugliest and generally shorter people.

Don't forget this fucking asshole who probably grew up with a silver spoon in his ass:

Poloz?s prescription for unemployed youth: Work for free - The Globe and Mail
Old 11-26-2014, 10:09 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
He's right. (Tapioca)

Start your own businesses and become as anti-fragile as you can become

Life is all about stepping on others to rise above. When you're on top you can take breaks from counting your money and fucking the hottest women who line up to ride your dick to point down at the struggling masses and say:

"$15 an hour minimum wage? Drop it to $8! Work harder, suckers!"
You go off on the weirdest tangents.

I also disagree. I've gotten success primarily by helping others. If you're insecure about your abilities, you step on people. If you're confident in your abilities, you know if won't hurt you to help others better themselves.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:29 PM   #108
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Uliq I'm all for improving everyone's lives but I honestly think raising the minimum wage to $15/hr will cause more harm than good. We don't have a handful of huge industries (labour/manufacturing) that capture the majority of the minimum wage jobs. If that were the case it might be acceptable since only those several companies would receive a hit in a form of reduced bonuses for those at the top of the pyramid. But the situation is vancouver is relatively a small business and a service based economy. If the minimum wage suddenly jumps from $10.25/hr to $15/hr a lot of places would cut their staff or close. People that jump quickly to support this idea because they don't realize the consequences. The campaign for this should really be "we'll raise the minimum wage to $15/hr but half of you might become unemployed, glhf". Yes it sucks for those struggling to support a family but you have an option to get a second job. It's not ideal but you gotta do what you gotta do. Options. There are a lot more options available to those immigrants to make a living here than they ever had in their home country. Options. Probably more life options than they ever had in their lives. When you're given options people need to educate themselves about it. Those poor and overpopulated countries have limited options or lack the education when it comes to birth control, or it's something that's frowned upon on in their culture.

So my point is options. Options, options, options. There a lot options to fixing the problem but there is no one option that will fix everything. There are also options for people to stop bitching about their current situation and head towards greener meadows. I feel like this cry for $15/hr minimum wage is trying to place a single band-aid on a wound that clearly needs several stitches. I agree with raising the minimum wage but only on par to Ontario's $11. The petition should really just be looked at like a craigslist ad. Post your item up for more knowing you're gonna get less than your asking price.

The job market is fcked but really no matter how good it is we'll never be satisfied. The job market is different from what it was before because of technology. Before people we're skilled/specialized to do one or two things and stay in that field until they retired. Also everything back then required greater man power. Today everyone's a jack of all trades, changing careers many times in a lifetime, all this made possible by technology. Technology is our greatest resource because like money it allows us to do whatever the fck we want and it allows us to do pursue it efficiently and effectively.
123654123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:59 PM   #109
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
To answer Timpo's question...

I don't think the quality of education has gone down if you are talking about post-secondary education, I don't have any kids so I cannot comment on elementary, secondary education.

I think the choices that are made by students for their post-secondary education need to be smarter. BUT I also agree that education is getting more and more unaffordable across the board. I cannot believe that my gf is paying upwards and over of 3000 a semester at SFU for 4 or so classes. That's INSANE! And I believe it's more expensive for other people.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:29 PM   #110
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScizzMoney View Post
I sometimes feel alone in thinking it's not the governments job to educate children about everything. I agree that educating people about money is a good thing. Why can't parents teach their kids this? My father taught me. Stop blaming the government because people can't talk to their kids. Also, the public library doesn't cost dick. Read a fucking book and learn shit on your own and don't expect hand outs because by chance you were born here or born into a family of people that moved here. Take control. Pussies.
I think you're wrong tbh, simply because the entire point of education is to prepare youth for adulthood. And managing money, basic economics, proper budgeting, is a HUGE part of what separates "money-savvy" people from those who are drowning in debt. I'm a firm believer that education breeds understanding, which breeds smart choices. Look at pregnancy/STD rates before and after schools made sex education (think Planning 10) mandatory.

I think it's ridiculous that Economics 12 - which was IMO more useful to me than any other course - was an elective, while everyone was expected to do Math, Science, all that other stuff. When was the last time you had to factor a polynomial equation and wasn't allowed to get a computer to do it for you? I am willing to bet, for most people not since the Math 12 provincial exam lol.

That's what I mean when I say our education system is fucked. Like Big Sean said (and I can't believe I'm quoting this atm lol) "Why can't schools teach more mathematics, less trigonometry and all about taxes.. they at the chalkboard be teaching us ass-backwards, how 'bout preparing us for life instead of lab ratters?" My point is that education system should be less about teaching all that abstract BS and more about stuff that applies to how 99% of people live their daily lives. Not that there's anything wrong with knowing abstract stuff, but people should know the basics first. Which is why I also think basic Home Economics should be part of a mandatory curriculum...

And post-secondary education (or the inflation of it, rather) is a HUGE economic problem IMO. You have people who are thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands, of dollars in debt before they even move out. Not to mention a university degree doesn't guarantee a good job, plenty of people at my previous McJobs had degrees and were still making $12-14/hr...
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 12:14 AM   #111
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

^ A degree alone won't guarantee a job because the job market today is very competitive. Universities offer a lot of extra-curricular activities such as clubs, volunteering, exchange programs, co-op (internships), case competitions, and networking events to gain experience. The people you knew that took 6 courses/semester to graduate early, did they do anything else aside from going to school during the 4 years?

The good thing about trades is that it forces you to gain working experience before you can move onto second or third year, etc. If you're getting a degree, no one is going to force you to do extra-curricular activities, and the responsibility lies upon the individual.
Purely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 06:08 AM   #112
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
It's not that hard to make $15/hour.. if you're worth $15/h, you'll get $15/h. If you're not worth that much, you won't..
I never needed a job or education only if I want to, I always had $ because im 6'1 and good- looking. Feel sorry for the guys 5'7 under and need to work for $15.

Imo guys making min. wage should not reproduce, women should go for real men making $250,000 year and over
p6rf1ct_s$m$n is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-27-2014, 06:39 AM   #113
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
This is a bit of a silly idea, of course, but of course, this thread has turned into a shit-fest on people who do fall through the cracks.

I think some people are naive in thinking that hard work gets you to where you want to go in life. A lot of other factors come into play - family connections, people skills, luck, physical appearance, etc. Sure, it's important to hustle, but hard work and smarts (however you define them) can only get you so far. You often hear about rags-to-riches stories because people who had to work hard tend to speak up. However, lots of successful people didn't necessarily get to where they are today because of "hard work".
its 90% luck, 10% hard work.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-27-2014, 06:46 AM   #114

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p6rf1ct_s$m$n View Post
I never needed a job or education only if I want to, I always had $ because im 6'1 and good- looking. Feel sorry for the guys 5'7 under and need to work for $15.

Imo guys making min. wage should not reproduce, women should go for real men making $250,000 year and over
Oh Diesel_Test you so crazy.....no really, you're elevator gets stuck halfway up. Whatever happened to the rule about one account? Ban this idiot again please.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-27-2014, 06:47 AM   #115
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
U want more money, get a better joab
getting a job to make more money is if you only want to stay regular and date regular _____
Old 11-27-2014, 06:49 AM   #116
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Oh Diesel_Test you so crazy.....no really, you're elevator gets stuck halfway up. Whatever happened to the rule about one account? Ban this idiot again please.
im giving honest mature opinions on the subject
Old 11-27-2014, 06:55 AM   #117
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
its 90% luck, 10% hard work.

Also a lot to do with who you know rather than what you know.

How many people here have worked with someone or under someone who got their position simply for being friends with the owner of the company?

People will say it is "bitter" to think like that, but the truth is often hard to swallow so people just eat up pleasant lie after pleasant lie.

"Work hard, go to school, you'll make it!"

Yes, you'll make it alright... venti americano please
Old 11-27-2014, 07:13 AM   #118

Thanked 4,768 Times in 1,750 Posts
Quote:

Don't forget this fucking asshole who probably grew up with a silver spoon in his ass:

Poloz?s prescription for unemployed youth: Work for free - The Globe and Mail
This guy has a point though.

If an employer has two candidates for a job, both are fresh University grads from the same program, grades are close, one candidate has volunteer experience in a related field and the other doesn't, guess who the employer is going to choose?

My sister is a good example, she's a recent university grad. Two of the biggest contributing factors to her getting hired in her latest job is:

1. Volunteering at the Children's Hospital
2. Coaching kids soccer

I'm willing to bet that those two things did more to get her hired than her UBC degree.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:41 AM   #119
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
one candidate has volunteer experience in a related field and the other doesn't

What field did your sister get hired in?
Old 11-27-2014, 08:19 AM   #120
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,245 Times in 274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PARANOiA-R34 View Post
I think you're wrong tbh, simply because the entire point of education is to prepare youth for adulthood. And managing money, basic economics, proper budgeting, is a HUGE part of what separates "money-savvy" people from those who are drowning in debt. I'm a firm believer that education breeds understanding, which breeds smart choices. Look at pregnancy/STD rates before and after schools made sex education (think Planning 10) mandatory.

I think it's ridiculous that Economics 12 - which was IMO more useful to me than any other course - was an elective, while everyone was expected to do Math, Science, all that other stuff. When was the last time you had to factor a polynomial equation and wasn't allowed to get a computer to do it for you? I am willing to bet, for most people not since the Math 12 provincial exam lol.

That's what I mean when I say our education system is fucked. Like Big Sean said (and I can't believe I'm quoting this atm lol) "Why can't schools teach more mathematics, less trigonometry and all about taxes.. they at the chalkboard be teaching us ass-backwards, how 'bout preparing us for life instead of lab ratters?" My point is that education system should be less about teaching all that abstract BS and more about stuff that applies to how 99% of people live their daily lives. Not that there's anything wrong with knowing abstract stuff, but people should know the basics first. Which is why I also think basic Home Economics should be part of a mandatory curriculum...

And post-secondary education (or the inflation of it, rather) is a HUGE economic problem IMO. You have people who are thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands, of dollars in debt before they even move out. Not to mention a university degree doesn't guarantee a good job, plenty of people at my previous McJobs had degrees and were still making $12-14/hr...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gYU View Post
^ A degree alone won't guarantee a job because the job market today is very competitive. Universities offer a lot of extra-curricular activities such as clubs, volunteering, exchange programs, co-op (internships), case competitions, and networking events to gain experience. The people you knew that took 6 courses/semester to graduate early, did they do anything else aside from going to school during the 4 years?

The good thing about trades is that it forces you to gain working experience before you can move onto second or third year, etc. If you're getting a degree, no one is going to force you to do extra-curricular activities, and the responsibility lies upon the individual.
Godzira is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-27-2014, 08:24 AM   #121

Thanked 4,768 Times in 1,750 Posts
Quote:
What field did your sister get hired in?
Medical
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:27 AM   #122
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,166 Times in 1,550 Posts
We should isolate multicartural and diesel_test to their own thread where they can circle-jerk each other with their fantasies of living the dream.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:31 AM   #123
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

$12 seems reasonable, $15 is just absurd.
z3german is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:35 AM   #124
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,245 Times in 274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3german View Post
$12 seems reasonable, $15 is just absurd.
Exactly, but if they ask for $15 they'll most likely end up getting $12.
Godzira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 09:08 AM   #125
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,785 Times in 2,492 Posts
Quote:

wait so is it under 5'7" or 5'7" and under? I need to know if i'm a peasant that needs pity.

we should merge his accounts and keep him un-banned. his previous usernames were better so might as well clean it up.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote