REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-20-2020, 09:57 PM   #451
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHatta View Post
Agreed on the above. I am just new to the coffee game, but I like having different options of beans when I go to make a coffee for myself or others.

I am debating on buying this product and using it to clean my grinder periodically, or even between bean changes.
https://detourcoffee.com/products/ur...xoCnH8QAvD_BwE

Have you guys used this before?
I just use good ol Walmart basmati rice (drier, less prone to clumping) to season my new grinders and also to clean it when I go through a bag of darker/oiler beans.

after using the rice, I run 10-15g of beans to ensure I don't have any rice residue left.

TBH I don't see a need for Grindz for home use. Unless you're going through 5-10lb of oily beans a week, all you really need is a good quality brush and damp cloth to wipe down everything.
Advertisement
cafe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-21-2020, 08:33 AM   #452
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafe22 View Post
I find a good way to improve decaf is to up dose 1-2g more than usual if you are doing espresso since the decaffeination process reduces overall density of the bean.
So would you have to grind much much finer to jam that into the same size basket? (i.e. if you have a 20g basket, how do you jam 22g in it?)
JHatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:00 AM   #453
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
So would you have to grind much much finer to jam that into the same size basket? (i.e. if you have a 20g basket, how do you jam 22g in it?)
I personally find grinding decaf too fine will lead to clogging and creating super bitter, syrupy espresso.

With decaf, I find going 1-2g's over the basket size is okay since the 7-9 bars of pressure will compress the puck just enough to clear the shower head.

That said, that's my way, and it varies depending on the type of bean and machine you're using.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:41 AM   #454

Quote:
I personally find grinding decaf too fine will lead to clogging and creating super bitter, syrupy espresso.

With decaf, I find going 1-2g's over the basket size is okay since the 7-9 bars of pressure will compress the puck just enough to clear the shower head.

That said, that's my way, and it varies depending on the type of bean and machine you're using.
hmm i guess too fine is subjective. I'm using a BBE inner burr @ 3, outer burr @ 3 and with 18g dose in the stock double non-pressurized basket, the showerhead can sometimes leave an imprint depending on the tamp.
Old 10-21-2020, 04:21 PM   #455
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
hmm i guess too fine is subjective. I'm using a BBE inner burr @ 3, outer burr @ 3 and with 18g dose in the stock double non-pressurized basket, the showerhead can sometimes leave an imprint depending on the tamp.
I wouldn't be too worry about the imprint, it may be caused by the puck swelling up as well as the OPV sucking it upward.

I think it's all good as long as your tampered dry puck has a bit of room between the lip of the basket.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:49 PM   #456

Quote:
I wouldn't be too worry about the imprint, it may be caused by the puck swelling up as well as the OPV sucking it upward.

I think it's all good as long as your tampered dry puck has a bit of room between the lip of the basket.
Thanks for the tip, I won't adjust my grind settings if I see the imprint. I use the dosing levelling tool that Breville gives you and it does a good job at cleaning the inside of the basket just above the puck.

Lol, speaking of decaf options...right now it would be sweet to have some decaf beans because I feel like an espresso right now. I should get my artigiano decaf beans sometime this week.
Old 10-31-2020, 09:30 PM   #457
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
If someone is interested in getting a Moccamaster, Wayfair and Amazon are having a sale on them: https://www.wayfair.ca/dining/pdx/mo...-mcca1010.html

Great machine for drip/pourover, very much a buy-it-for-life item. I love mine.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 09:32 PM   #458
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
After using the Aeropress for a few months, I recently switched back to V60. Definitely better results, and it's more fun to tweak with new beans, but when I'm lazy I'd rather just use the press
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 10:13 AM   #459
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,751 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
After using the Aeropress for a few months, I recently switched back to V60. Definitely better results, and it's more fun to tweak with new beans, but when I'm lazy I'd rather just use the press
During my saving period, I find AP and V60 serves very different purposes. When I just want a good cup of joe, I go with V60. With AP, it's mostly after a meal and I want a milk beverage to go with pastries.

A bit of update on my setup. The Niche Zero is awesome. Being a single doze grinder, no more purging coffees when changing the setting, everything is pretty much on the fly. And result is super consistent. Definitely worth its price and might be comparable to European units at higher price tag.

For the Rocket, I was mixing my own water with milk jugs... with demineralized water from Costco ($3.xx for 15L, if there's a better option, let me know) as I go there every so often, and it's the one that makes most sense logistically.

But after a while, I got tired having to bring the 15L jug to fill milk jugs, so decided to "plumb in" my unit. Using a Flojet 5000, I hooked everything up, and now the machine just feeds off directly from the jug instead of having to pour every so often. And at my speed, a 15L jug usually lasts me easily 2+weeks. So the plan is to always keep 2 of them at home at all time and rotate them as I go to Costco.

Just got all that done today. There was water leaking because I missed a joint point to apply teflon tapes. Took that off, applied it and now everything works like a charm. Still need to find a better solution to hide all the pipes, but this is the raw state now:

Old 11-04-2020, 06:49 PM   #460
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Recommendations for local roasters? Been using Viva Java in Richmond -$25/pound. Looking for something new, maybe in that price range.
Farfetched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 06:54 PM   #461
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farfetched View Post
Recommendations for local roasters? Been using Viva Java in Richmond -$25/pound. Looking for something new, maybe in that price range.
A few people already asked the same question a few pages ago. So I assume you are looking for dark roast? is it for espresso or drip?

For your price range, I'd suggest Agro. They sell direct or at Donalds Market.
Old 11-04-2020, 08:01 PM   #462
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Espresso generally. Med dark. More towards chocolate/caramel notes than fruity.
Farfetched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:04 PM   #463
I am Hook'd on RS

Try out Agro nocturnal- big fan.
.supreme. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:24 AM   #464
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Agro or Pallet. $25/lb sounds really expensive - Agro is $14/340g or $28/2lb!
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2020, 09:39 AM   #465
My homepage has been set to RS

Agree with Agro - great everyday beans, I have been ordering online for $28 for 2lb all year!

Their single origin coffees are a steal at $32 for 2 pounds IMO.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:10 AM   #466
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
But after a while, I got tired having to bring the 15L jug to fill milk jugs, so decided to "plumb in" my unit. Using a Flojet 5000, I hooked everything up, and now the machine just feeds off directly from the jug instead of having to pour every so often. And at my speed, a 15L jug usually lasts me easily 2+weeks. So the plan is to always keep 2 of them at home at all time and rotate them as I go to Costco.

**Edited/shortened for convenience***
Did you use the factory/stock hoses from Rocket? I haven't touched mine, but it appears they are Italian standard/threaded and a pain in the ass, unless they were updated to British threading.

Are you manually draining from the drip tray? Or are you draining using the drain hose into a bucket or bottle of some kind? If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your Flowjet? I've been thinking of temporarily plumbing mine in throughout renovations. Thanks in advance.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 11:07 AM   #467

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Did you use the factory/stock hoses from Rocket? I haven't touched mine, but it appears they are Italian standard/threaded and a pain in the ass, unless they were updated to British threading.

Are you manually draining from the drip tray? Or are you draining using the drain hose into a bucket or bottle of some kind? If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your Flowjet? I've been thinking of temporarily plumbing mine in throughout renovations. Thanks in advance.
Yes. Rocket comes with an adapter (supposedly hit-n-miss thing). Check yours, it's a full metal adapter that goes at the end. You do need to take that adapter apart (2pcs to form that adapter) as it didn't come with teflon tape installed and when I first started, it started leaking at the joint. (not sure if it's the tape or it wasn't tight enough. But I put it on anyway and it stopped the leaking completely)

What I did need though, as the Flojet uses John Guest quickpush connectors was an adapter from 3/8" quickpush to 3/8" compression female connector.

I ordered everything from Thewaterguy.ca

It's fairly straightforward. Water jug-->Flojet pump-->1/4" to 3/8" adapter (comes with the Flojet 5000)-->3/8" clear pipe (Homedepot)-->female adapter mentioned above-->Rocket adapter-->Rocket hose to the machine.
Old 11-05-2020, 11:56 AM   #468
RS Veteran

Cool thanks. I'll consider using this as a temporary setup in the upcoming weeks.

Are you draining the excess water/overflow from the drip tray into a bucket or bottle? Or are you just manually emptying it?

Edit: Is this the kit you got? https://www.thewaterguy.ca/catalog/v...5volt-1471.htm

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 11-05-2020, 01:06 PM   #469

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Cool thanks. I'll consider using this as a temporary setup in the upcoming weeks.

Are you draining the excess water/overflow from the drip tray into a bucket or bottle? Or are you just manually emptying it?

Edit: Is this the kit you got? https://www.thewaterguy.ca/catalog/v...5volt-1471.htm
I got the 5000-010A. Can't seem to find it on the site for some reason. You can call to order that. It's a bit more expensive (225), but it's the newest model with higher flow rate. Not really a whole lot different in practical sense, but I thought why not...

As for the drain, I tried the idea of hooking up the drain into an empty water jug. But then I figured that having a dirty water jug is not ideal as god knows what can grow in there. Also, the tray would still accumulate water and coffee residue here and there and requires a daily cleaning anyway. I ended up just scraping that idea completely give my usual usage and workflow. The tray will always be cleaned daily and I can't fill it up.

Edit: the adapter for quickplug you also need if you go this route

https://www.thewaterguy.ca/catalog/v...012u9-1530.htm
Old 11-06-2020, 05:32 PM   #470
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
Agro or Pallet. $25/lb sounds really expensive - Agro is $14/340g or $28/2lb!
Viva Java is a fucking rip off.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2020, 05:44 PM   #471
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expresso View Post
Viva Java is a fucking rip off.
That place is the worst.

Old 11-14-2020, 06:35 PM   #472
RS Veteran

For those of you with semi-professional machines, my Sirai pressurestat slowly failed where it wouldn't build up enough steam pressure or heat for shots.

While the shots of espresso were "okay" it was a slow and gradual failure. The tell tale sign was the steam pressure being slow to build up, would sit just a hair under 1 bar of pressure (which took forever) and generally weak where you could barely steam milk. I had no real way of further troubleshooting after adjusting the pressurestat, cleaned the pipes etc.

After that, I threw in the towel, took it to Faema in Mississauga (Rocket distributor) and replaced it with a new Sirai pressurestat and voila - like new. Something for you folks to keep in mind. My machine was 6 or 7 years old, which falls into the general timeline of pressurestat failure. Had I known this was the issue, I would have replaced it myself.

Part - $120
Labour - $95
Time and frustration to open up the fucking machine (because Italian) - Over $999999999.

Will not attempt again.

Old 11-25-2020, 03:46 PM   #473

Did my first cosmetic mod.

Got a set of custom plates and handles for my Rocket made out of wenge.

The steam/hot water/pour ones were a piece of cake. But the handle... god damn... it took a good 10min on the heatgun to lose whatever it was in (locktite?) to lose enough to twist.

Old 11-25-2020, 05:33 PM   #474
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,324 Times in 5,641 Posts
Fuck that’s nice
Old 11-25-2020, 11:16 PM   #475
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

You need to remove that caution: hot surface label
dyan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: