REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:18 AM   #126
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
the title...

i thought sympathy and empathy were supposed to be non-discriminatory and free for everyone lol!!!

they're supposed to be handed out like those hooker ads in vegas by the mexicans.
Advertisement
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:59 PM   #127
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
That's like saying a Pinto is worth thousands of dollars because of insurance, gas, repairs, and maintenance.

The opinion that the author (and Manic) seem to think one can just kill any animal and write a cheque for its "market value" is the issue at hand. "Market value," as with cars, doesn't include associated costs of ownership.

So ... along the same lines ... Should one be able to kill the dog walker and cut a cheque to her family for her "market value," which would now be presumably lower now relative to prior to the incident given her demonstrated incompetence and lack of trustworthiness ... ?

Spoiler!
That's fucking insanity. This is a member of my family. Yes I believe that a pet is a member of the family. I'm housing, clothing it, making sure it has proper medical care and is properly fed.

You can't put a dollar fucking value on that shit.
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2015, 11:15 PM   #128
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
-------
Old 02-09-2015, 11:17 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowjinboo View Post
That's fucking insanity. This is a member of my family. Yes I believe that a pet is a member of the family. I'm housing, clothing it, making sure it has proper medical care and is properly fed.

You can't put a dollar fucking value on that shit.
Under Canadian law you can.

She was charged with destruction of property (mischief) gets you in canada

Quote:
Punishment
(3) Every one who commits mischief in relation to property that is a testamentary instrument or the value of which exceeds five thousand dollars
(a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years; or
(b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.
Idem
(4) Every one who commits mischief in relation to property, other than property described in subsection (3),
(a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years; or
(b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

I have know Idea how they came up with the value of the for dogs. I am not including the 2 she owned because you can do what ever you want with your own property and be charged with what she was charged with. But I do know people have done 10's of thousands of dollars worth of damage and have done zeo jail time. That one guy killed a 100 sled dogs in Whistler and got zero jail time.

Last edited by Manic!; 02-09-2015 at 11:23 PM.
Manic! is online now   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-10-2015, 11:42 AM   #130
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
So wait, i'm a little confused. You're arguing that she shouldn't do jail time, but quoted a law that specifies she should do jail time?
Old 02-10-2015, 12:59 PM   #131
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,763 Posts
My family had many dogs while I was growing up. I love dogs.
Each one of them had a unique personality, and I was sad each time one of them passed on.
The thing is, they were all the family PET, not a family member.

When I was about 13-14, we had a 2 year old Shepherd/Doberman cross that one day, completely out of the blue, snapped at a toddler. The dog had no aggression warning signs that would ever let us think it would do that.
My dad had it put down that week. A month later we had a new dog.
That's how you learn pets like dogs are replaceable.

But I actually don't have any sympathy for the Emma Paulson woman because
A) For someone who cared for dogs as a living, How could the common sense on this woman be so fucking out of whack to leave the dogs in a closed canopy in the sun?
B) She LIED and tried to cover up what she did
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:05 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
So wait, i'm a little confused. You're arguing that she shouldn't do jail time, but quoted a law that specifies she should do jail time?
I can understand you are confused. Those are guide lines. Others who have been charged with mischief over $5000 have gotten probation and maybe some community service.

Like this:
ASSAULT; MISCHIEF OVER $5000 - Peel Law ChambersPeel Law Chambers

What I don't understand is how they assessed the value of the 4 dogs at over $5000. If they where from the pound would she have been charged with mischief under $5000? Sounds stupid to me.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:43 PM   #133
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
So the valuation of the animals lives is the primary issue for you?
ie. If they were found to have a value of over $5,000 (however that would be assessed), then jail time is warranted.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:09 PM   #134
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Under Canadian law you can.

She was charged with destruction of property (mischief) gets you in canada

I have know Idea how they came up with the value of the for dogs. I am not including the 2 she owned because you can do what ever you want with your own property and be charged with what she was charged with. But I do know people have done 10's of thousands of dollars worth of damage and have done zeo jail time. That one guy killed a 100 sled dogs in Whistler and got zero jail time.
Like I said earlier, you need to just stop posting. Especially when you don't know the facts. She wasn't charged with anything like that, and the cash value of the dogs has zero relevance to anything. Everything you have said is wrong.

She was originally charged with two things. The first was multiple counts of animal cruelty under the BC SPCA Act. Did you notice the law is called "animal" cruelty, not "pet" cruelty. So regardless of whether it's a pet or wild animal, yours or someone else's, purchased/adopted or how much it costs, if you cause an animal to be under distress, it's punishable by up to two years in prison. That has nothing to do with destruction of property.

And she was not charged with mischief. She was charged with public mischief, which is making a false police report. That's a criminal code offense, punishable by up to five years in prison.

Even though she was charged with multiple counts, she plead guilty to only one count of each. During sentencing, there were several victim impact statements provided to the judge that demonstrated what she did caused a lot of pain to the owners of the pets. Also, the judge noted she deliberately covered up what she did, lied about it, and has still never apologized.

Still think going to jail for six months is stupid?

Last edited by Eff-1; 02-10-2015 at 05:16 PM.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote