REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-18-2016, 07:03 AM   #251
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
i thought blu-ray players can read standard dvd's?
Advertisement
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2016, 09:42 AM   #252
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagella View Post
Do you have kids and think the entertainment system would come in handy? I feel like we might be rarely using them and it's limitation to only play Blu-ray discs which aren't cheap. Also kids might just enjoy playing on their tablet more. $5k is pretty steep...
$5k is steep. You can go the aftermarket route and get two screens installed with wireless headphones for half the price.

the nice thing about the factory system is the integration. You can control so much through your head unit and steering wheel controls. As for the entertainment center itself, I highly recommend it. It saved me so much stress as a driver over the years.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:10 AM   #253
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
i thought blu-ray players can read standard dvd's?
The point here really isn't about what it reads. It comes down to its limitation as a screen that just plays videos versus more interactive tablets every kid seems to have these days. Would kids choose to sit there and watch and not play with their tablets?

Oroginalhypa, how did entertainment system save you from stress over the years?
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:49 AM   #254
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
For those of you who got SE, could you share why you added tech package? I like some of the features like blind spot check and automatic rear door (shame on Toyota for not including this in standard) but I feel like most of the $ is towards the Blu-ray entertaient system and nav.

Do you have kids and think the entertainment system would come in handy? I feel like we might be rarely using them and it's limitation to only play Blu-ray discs which aren't cheap. Also kids might just enjoy playing on their tablet more. $5k is pretty steep...
Had ours for little over a year now, tech package was a must for us. I loaded up an sd card with paw patrol and super why, won't hear a peap out of them on the way to whistler this weekend, same with around town, but try not to leave the screen down regularly. Nice having the big screen too for the backup cam, push button start, cross traffic alert is actually pretty helpful, first vehicle I've had with it.

Nice having nav, but actually prefer the system in my 5 year old Jeep over the Sienna's.
wickedxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:53 AM   #255
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
The point here really isn't about what it reads. It comes down to its limitation as a screen that just plays videos versus more interactive tablets every kid seems to have these days. Would kids choose to sit there and watch and not play with their tablets?
Good point, however my kids being 1&2, are very prone to dropping the tablet if I have them in the Jeep. The 2 year old has figured out loading videos, youtube, but nothing really interactive yet, however I can see in a couple years both kids using tablets over the rear dvd...
wickedxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:15 AM   #256
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,110 Times in 602 Posts
I don't let the kids use tablets in the van. Entertainment system is a must, either factory or after market. It all boils down to convenience, do you want to control it from the headunit/steering wheel or separately? Also factory units come with a pair of wireless headsets a definite sanity saver after hearing kids show after kid show on long drives.
I have two sets of twins, 8years and 2 years old....
Before getting the van we used to hang those portable dvd players between the front seats for the older twins when they were only a couple of years old
The older twins always bug me to bring the xbox1 with us because there's a hdmi and power plug integrated in the 3rd row

Last edited by mk1freak; 05-18-2016 at 11:20 AM.
mk1freak is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2016, 01:32 PM   #257

WOW. Two sets of twins. Haha I can't imagine how that's like. Well we have a second one coming soon and our first one is almost two. Looks like entertainment might really be some good use. May I ask why you don't let kids use tablet in the van? I suppose shaking won't be good for their eyes.

Also, wickedxj, you mentioned loading up SD card. I didn't know you can use that for Sienna. I just thought it plays discs.

Really appreciate everyone's input. I might consider tech package. Still have some time before they put in the order.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:39 PM   #258
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
For those of you who got SE, could you share why you added tech package? I like some of the features like blind spot check and automatic rear door (shame on Toyota for not including this in standard) but I feel like most of the $ is towards the Blu-ray entertaient system and nav.

I think I picked up our sienna se about the same time as wicked, and yes, the tech pack is definitely worth it with kids. I have a 2 yr old and 8 month old, and the TV screen distracts them from all the yelling and screaming they would have given me if I never had that tech pack lol. On a plus side, yes it reads sd cards, DVDs, and Blu rays. And HDMI slot!! Gaming for when they are older, or on roadtrips! Plus, if you factor in the cost of the tech pack, compared to the Odyssey package, you get the best of both navi and entertainment for $43k, whereas the Honda you only get one or the other for that price.
i don't think i ever played a game as a kid where you punch each other in the dick.
J-Chow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:05 PM   #259

Yes, I agree with that point about tech package offering more than Odyssey at lower price. Just wish Toyota had better rates. Honda has 0.99% now vs. Toyota's 4.49% at 60 months. Quite some differences.

Looks like I will be getting the tech package .
Old 05-20-2016, 07:51 AM   #260
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,814 Times in 2,502 Posts
or you can drive like this like the rest of us without video

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2016, 08:27 AM   #261
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I agree with that point about tech package offering more than Odyssey at lower price. Just wish Toyota had better rates. Honda has 0.99% now vs. Toyota's 4.49% at 60 months. Quite some differences.

I'd look into the reviews of both vehicles. Honda is not the same Honda that we remember. I hate to harp on it, but my Odyssey has had issues that would make my old GMC look reliable in comparison. Plus the service dep't is a joke. Everything from oil leaks, to power steering pump issues, to battery issues, my Odyssey has been a pain.

That's why I'm trading it in for a Toyota Highlander. I hate dropping $45k on a "reliable" minivan, only to have nothing but problems with it.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2016, 11:20 AM   #262
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,110 Times in 602 Posts
Quote:
WOW. Two sets of twins. Haha I can't imagine how that's like. Well we have a second one coming soon and our first one is almost two. Looks like entertainment might really be some good use. May I ask why you don't let kids use tablet in the van? I suppose shaking won't be good for their eyes.

Its probably just me, but for one they're always asking toto connect to wifI hot spot (from phone) and since I already paid for the tech package they better dam well use it
Also they're on the dam tablets or other electronics at home so I want them to see the sites and views when we drive, especially since they're getting older if they recognize landmarks and such it'll be easier for them to get home if I ever lose my mind and kick them out of the van
mk1freak is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2016, 11:57 AM   #263

And originalhypa, yes I'm getting Sienna for that reason. A friend of mine who owns a mechanic shop was adamant in recommending me to go with Sienna.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2016, 12:44 PM   #264
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,664 Times in 334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1freak View Post
Its probably just me, but for one they're always asking toto connect to wifI hot spot (from phone) and since I already paid for the tech package they better dam well use it
Also they're on the dam tablets or other electronics at home so I want them to see the sites and views when we drive, especially since they're getting older if they recognize landmarks and such it'll be easier for them to get home if I ever lose my mind and kick them out of the van
#growingupflip

noransx
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1freak
[24-01, 14:19] mk1freak lots of bdays this year
Quote:
Originally Posted by kross9
[22-05, 23:37] norans also got a pretty douchey white hipster haircut
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE_BOY
[27-10, 22:25] can't spell ice without ie
2014 Chevrolet Volt - Poo brown ft panel gaps - currently at 588mpg
2006 Honda CBR600RR "LaF'Honda" pronounced la-fawn-duh
Noran is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-21-2016, 04:07 PM   #265
My homepage has been set to RS

I have an older oddssey touring which the RES saved me from going crazy even 8n a short commute. But the new van with HDMI would be even better...chromecast and hot spot with unlimited data

You are golden!
M Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 04:07 PM   #266

I have an older oddssey touring which the RES saved me from going crazy even 8n a short commute. But the new van with HDMI would be even better...chromecast and hot spot with unlimited data

You are golden!
M Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:03 AM   #267
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:

That rate is ridiculous. Aren't there any 2015 models left?
i don't think i ever played a game as a kid where you punch each other in the dick.
J-Chow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:27 AM   #268
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,064 Times in 555 Posts
These Vans are never in stock... always ordered in advance and waiting months to come in... ^

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:32 AM   #269

Yes... all out of stock across lower mainland. 4-5 months of wait. Plain stupid.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:22 AM   #270

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
Quote:
Yes... all out of stock across lower mainland. 4-5 months of wait. Plain stupid.
good things are always worth waiting for
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-22-2016, 11:13 AM   #271
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,924 Times in 3,877 Posts
You guys should have ~9 months notice before you need a van, 4-5 month wait should be fine.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 01:44 PM   #272

haven't heard much talk of mazda5's in this thread. is it b/c lack of cargo room or they are POS. they seem like a good bang for buck van for 6.

Quote:
Greenstoner
originalhypa
Quote:

Old 05-22-2016, 03:19 PM   #273
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
Mazda5's have been discontinued after 2015.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:34 PM   #274

really? but they still show 2016 on mazda's website
http://www.mazda.ca/en/vehicles/2016-mazda5/overview/

Quote:
Greenstoner
originalhypa
Quote:

Old 06-06-2016, 10:14 PM   #275
nah

I've been looking for a used Odyssey or Sienna and Siennas are keeping their value much more so than an Odyssey.

Honda's rates are so low cause they have a new model coming out next year to entice those people waiting for 2017. As for Toyota, when you have a 4-5 month wait list, you can charge 4.99%.
nah is offline   Reply With Quote