REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-18-2015, 11:34 PM   #26
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post
This car will never look at me and say 'Thanks' or 'I love you' or 'Why?'

The G8 is / was my dream car. Always lusted after an Aussie brute. Never found a V8 model at the time. In three years, I've driven all my friends' V8 model (including the GXP, holy shit what a monster).
True but (especially for a car enthusiast) there's no denying that after all the time, money and care one puts into their car and the enjoyment they get from experiencing the fruits of their labour, there will always an emotional attachment to it. For many it's a reflection of their personality, a display of their accomplishment and/or an ego boost. Also, aside from home and work, one probably spends most of their time in their car.

If you're genuinely concerned about the state of your finances, maybe now's the time to cash out, make sure your head stays above water and when the time is right, upgrade to something even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi-revs View Post
If u really like it that much, I say keep it. Cuz chances are, you'll likely blow the money on crap.
Based on GS8's posts, probably not.
Advertisement

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2015, 11:44 PM   #27
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
If it were a GXP, I'd say no, but it's not. Sell it.

I've parted out two of my dream cars. Now I'm on my third one and plan on keeping it until the wheels fall off.

http://www.e38registry.org/
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2015, 03:36 AM   #28
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
buy another dream car
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2015, 07:46 AM   #29
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I did it myself - waited 11 years to buy an NSX

In addition to the real NSX, I was an NSX fanatic - I owned as many NSX models/books, magazines/toys that I could get my hands on

Owned it for a year, sold it for $1000 less than what I bought it for. Life priorities changed, moved back to Vancouver from California

I sold my NSX collection for $600, all in 1 go.

Do I miss the NSX? Yes

Do I regret my decision? No, it was the right choice
EndLeSS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2015, 07:51 AM   #30
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Sell it. As rare as it is, I'm sure you'll be able to find and buy another one when your financial situation improves in the future.
zetazeta is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2015, 08:21 AM   #31
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
its just a car, in this case, there are many like it out there, and can be replaced.

if it is enough to put you in debt, not worth scraping by for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2015, 08:36 AM   #32
My homepage has been set to RS

If it was really a dream car you make it work. Maybe the phase is used a little too loosely.

In my case no I haven't but my cars not worth much and it has a dedicated garage space. The only burden a car will ever have is financial or space. Made sure those things are taken care of, I've let it sit for years at a time til I was ready to drive it again.

Cars aren't supposed to be a burden , once it does it looses it's fun and then maybe it's time to rethink your ownership.
Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2015, 08:37 AM   #33
I'll never be Diggy, no matter how hard I try

Thanked 2,111 Times in 633 Posts
hey, dont you also own an old man buick?

in debt eh
trollguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:53 AM   #34
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Debt sucks. Sell it, come back in a few years and buy the same car for pennies on the dollar. You'll miss those teenage years, but those are the years when they act up, aren't fun and really they want nothing to do with you. When the little G8 matures and realized who took it home, it will be there to stay.

Honestly though the smartest thing you can do is sell. That thing is going to depreciate very quickly like all American cars, and you shouldn't have too much of an issue finding another one. They are pretty though.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2015, 09:11 AM   #35
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
yes i had one. it was a bad time for me then because i lost my job do to health reasons. it was just sitting there because i couldn't drive, sucking away my bank account because i was still making payments, so i had to let it go at a loss... and no i still haven't gotten over it

i saw it once on the road a few years back. it still looks okay. so at least i have some small consolation in that
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2015, 09:34 AM   #36
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
How much will your life be bettered by not being in debt? Can the car be replaced in the future? Being debt free is awesome but selling something that cannot be replaced easily can be met with regret. There's really no right or wrong answer.

I sold my STI last year due to becoming a father and wanting to ditch that payment. Made enough equity from the sale that I bought a 4Runner and own it outright. I miss the car and would have kept it had I not been put in the position to sell it. However, it went to the right owner and I'm happy that it is being enjoyed by another now. Do I regret selling it? Yeah, I do. But it was the right thing to do at the time. I couldn't come close to replacing it for what I sold it for so that kinda stings but again, timing is everything. The saving grace is being car debt free and it feels great however now I'm always looking for the next car that will put me back in debt again. Ha!
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2015, 09:45 AM   #37
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,168 Times in 7,157 Posts
If this car is that important to you, sell the other car. You don't seem happy about being in debt, or happy about selling the G8. Exercise your other option.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2015, 09:46 AM   #38
I STILL don't get it

It's important to have your priorities in the right order financially. It's also important to balance work and play and enjoy life...otherwise - what's the fucking point. Say you have a wife, kids etc...and let's say from a financial perspective the toy needs to go....man up and do what needs to be done. But if you don't have obligations yet in life - fucking enjoy your life man.

I think it boils down to the question - Is "this" replaceable? Can you find another clean example in the future at the price point you are looking for? Yeah? Sell it and replace it in due time.

But lets say the vehicle had lower production numbers or is harder and harder to find in good condition - don't sell it! While a car is a liability, we spend time and money knowing full well we won't see a dime back. It's an investment in happiness else we'd never buy into the money pit that is your dream car. Factor that in and it diminishes the chance of selling even further.

I don't know...I think sometimes people throw around the phrase "Dream Car" loosely but if you really put it to the test - it's something that you've wanted for a long time and can't be replaced. Maybe physically it could but it just wouldn't be the same.

People talk about selling because "It was an offer I couldn't refuse."

Is your wife or child replaceable? If you're a happily married man, IE this is the woman you love and want to spend the rest of your life with. And one day, "Indecent Proposal" style a guy comes up and says,

"I want to buy your wife...I'll give you $XXXXXXX for her."

If you really loved your wife...no amount of money could see you part ways with her. And if you answered Yes, then you didn't love her as much as you thought. She was never your "dream woman" to begin with.

Sure a dream car is a materialistic thing if you boil it down to the nitty gritty, but to us a car isn't just a car.

Spoiler!
R. Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2015, 10:02 AM   #39
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
You're selling the car for $15k, how much could you possibly owe on it? If its under $10k, work your ass off for a while and save and just pay it off. Its not really that much to pay off..
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:35 AM   #40
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Anyone ever have to sell their dream car?

Well I didn't "have" to sell it... approaching the situation from a logical perspective and removing emotion from the equation there was really only one possible outcome.

Sell it, you can always buy another one later in life, I don't mean this in any sort of offensive way but I suspect those cars will continue to depreciate - like most.

You could always ask the seller to give you first right of refusal when they go to sell the car down the road? I did that with my M3, will actually be going to take it out for a drive on Saturday to decide if I want it or not.

As others have said, living debt free is great, you can basically adopt the "fuck you" lifestyle which is a great place to be.

Last edited by jasonturbo; 05-19-2015 at 10:40 AM.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2015, 10:42 AM   #41
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
Mellowman sold me my old hatch.. must have hurt him to see it become more beautiful than he ever had it..

hehe

that being said, after it was stolen i still miss it alot but other things also caught my eye. when the money becomes available i will be building a crx better than i ever had my hatch

the point is, it will hurt to let go, but when you are better equip to deal with this terrible expensive hobby you can do better the next time around and capitalize on those things you wish you could change now

the downside after losing my hatch is that i pulled back from the car scene as i lost alot of motivation but i know it will be back when i boost the DA or get my hands on a crx

but, dont just let go and give up.. im sure lots of us know people who once had nice cars who let them go for family/money reasons and never got back to it.. that too me is sad
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2015, 10:43 AM   #42
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
you've had it for sale since December.. It might be hard, but I think you know it's time to let it go.

*cue Frozen music*
Old 05-19-2015, 11:40 PM   #43
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I see it as actually the opposite. If you really love your car, you should keep it (so long as you're not plateauing or in the negative every month because of it). Its not a significant amount of money and in several years, you will still be the owner and you will also hopefully be debt-free.
db2 #51 - garage queen/summer daily
golf mk3 - 2016 winter beater [sold]
ae92 - 2017 spring beater
Cillu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:16 AM   #44
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 1,128 Times in 339 Posts
I've never owned a McLaren F1 before, so no I can't say that i've ever had to sell off my dream car. If that day were to come though, i'd imagine that i'd enough disposable income to overcome this issue.

Best of luck with your choices! Good advice in this thread!
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2015, 08:38 AM   #45

i think the reason most of us are suggesting he sell it for just the fact that hes thinking of it.. if it was his "dream" car i dont think the option would even come up unless it absolutely had to.. in which case there would be no question anyways

my hatch wasnt my "dream" car but i fcking loved that thing and on many occasions was offered far more money than it was worth and i never once considered it. so unless hes FARRRR in debt or recently has come under low enough income that the payments are no longer possible to me it wouldnt even be an option
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2015, 08:45 AM   #46
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
I think you'd also want to take into account the popularity of the market. Seems like the G8 is a relatively low demand car so in case shit happens you will have a tough time or need to sell it at more of a loss as a backup plan.

Have to remember in order for a sale to go through you need the seller of course but also a buyer that's into that car.

21' 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
23' VW MK8 GTI 40th Anniversary
18' Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
21' Ducati Streetfighter V4 S

--
16' Mineral Grey F80 BMW M3 6MT SOLD -11/22
22' Halo Toyota GR86 6MT SOLD -11/22
12' Phantom Black - B8 Audi S4 - SOLD 04/19
07' WDP Acura TL Type-S - A-Spec/ATLP/H&R - SOLD 12/17
18' Matte Silver Ice - Triumph 765 Street Triple RS - SOLD 4/21
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2015, 09:45 AM   #47
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
After my ex ran off with my unborn child and moved up north I also had to sell the car I had been building for 10 years. So much money time and bleeding knuckles gone. The worst part was it was finally where I kinda wanted it. Fully built motor, sick Turbo setup, and Riced to hell and I had to sell it all for dirt cheap in a hurry to fund my move north. Still pains me but it's like a break up, it gets better with time.
Now I just bought me a new girl to play with. Honda CR-V so I can start tinkering again. Time for AWD CR-Vtec Turbo! In the end it was just a car, and now this one will take its place.

Berz out.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:20 PM   #48
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
sometimes in life, we have to let go of things so better things fall into place

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-21-2015, 10:13 AM   #49
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,279 Times in 1,968 Posts
You guys are fucking amazing. I love how you guys just didn't answer the question but provided thoughtful, sound reasoning with unique perspectives behind it.

Today I officially sold the car. Loan is paid off and there's a lot of fresh cash sitting in my bank account. No tears. I actually feel pretty damn good. No loan = no commitments. I can relax between projects now.

If it was a V8 model, I would have kept it. I did all I could with this car. Time to move on to other things in life.

I will buy another car though. All cash, good price. Time to camp the Craigslist good buys thread and see what comes up.

Cheers
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:28 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post
You guys are fucking amazing. I love how you guys just didn't answer the question but provided thoughtful, sound reasoning with unique perspectives behind it.

Today I officially sold the car. Loan is paid off and there's a lot of fresh cash sitting in my bank account. No tears. I actually feel pretty damn good. No loan = no commitments. I can relax between projects now.

If it was a V8 model, I would have kept it. I did all I could with this car. Time to move on to other things in life.

I will buy another car though. All cash, good price. Time to camp the Craigslist good buys thread and see what comes up.

Cheers
this is great because now if you wanna pursue something maybe that hadnt come to mind you can actually have fun with it. ie why alot of people mod shitty little hondas, you can have great fun at the track for really cheap.. worst case you grow out of it and you arnt out a bunch of money or you can take on an older evo or something really unique that will hold its value. at this point the sky is the limit. either way we all wanna see you back into modding cars, i think you did a great job with the pontiac so im curious to see whats next
This post thanked by: