REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   CBC (canadian born chinese) (https://www.revscene.net/forums/704157-cbc-canadian-born-chinese.html)

multicartual 07-06-2015 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8656942)
I can't imagine treating people so differently just because their ancestors were born a province or two away.

Entrenched culture and history over thousands of years, something Canada lacks

rcoccultwar 07-06-2015 10:18 PM

Quote:

I can't imagine treating people so differently just because their ancestors were born a province or two away.
I don't see where you are getting at. Are you in denial or is it you literally cannot imagine?

Ronin 07-06-2015 11:36 PM

Let's hug it out, white people. :victory:

4444 07-07-2015 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8656942)
To put that into perspective, Germany is only about the size of the southern half of BC. Munich, Germany, to Istanbul, Turkey is about a 2.5 hour flight, which is the same as a flight from Vancouver to Winnipeg. France to Algeria is like Vancouver to Edmonton. I get that the population density is quite different but still, I can't imagine treating people so differently just because their ancestors were born a province or two away.

http://www.journal.forces.gc.ca/vo11...asevicius2.jpg

i'm not sure what you're saying. turkish and german culture are VERY different. Geographic separation (distance) is irrelevant in this subject, most of Europe changes so significantly every 100 miles or so (just look at the UK in the difference in accents and way of life, the south is so different to the midlands as it is to the north).

having said that, europe does not do enough to assimilate all new migrants (especially of late), but has done way better than canada has

Tapioca 07-07-2015 09:13 AM

^ That's because Canada is one of the few countries in the world that has an official policy of multiculturalism, rather than assimilation. People are allowed to retain their own cultures openly.

I'm personally ambivalent about multiculturalism as in reality, all it means is that we appreciate different types of food rather than a full embracing of other cultures. The bottom line is that you have to act "Canadian" to get ahead in this country (and no, I wouldn't call owning a house and a small business getting ahead - I'm talking corner-suite or having access to key decision-makers).

synchrocone 07-07-2015 09:38 AM

Quote:

having said that, europe does not do enough to assimilate all new migrants (especially of late), but has done way better than canada has
Multiculturalism is less of a mixed bag to me compared to others.

Previously, the entry point for 'lower end' migrants to the EU was primarily, if not all through, via Italy. Recently, it has been known that a Greek port-town now is a entry point to the EU. Never been to Greece but an author I know of, reports and claims many tourist hotspots in Greece are owned by Chinese!

This presents many situations that may have been calculated. Do some of us who will travel there be impressed that the streets are laden-full of blacks, Chinese, Indian, Arab residents? Do some of us mind, the streets of Greece smelling food overwhelmingly of different ethnic origin? Personally, I prefer Greek homogeneity.

Back on the topic of the Chinese, I would lean towards thinking the Chinese in Greece will not go as far as some Chinese in Richmond in the short to medium term horizon.

Manic! 07-07-2015 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by synchrocone (Post 8657098)

Previously, the entry point for 'lower end' migrants to the EU was primarily, if not all through, via Italy. Recently, it has been known that a Greek port-town now is a entry point to the EU. Never been to Greece but an author I know of, reports and claims many tourist hotspots in Greece are owned by Chinese!

This presents many situations that may have been calculated. Do some of us who will travel there be impressed that the streets are laden-full of blacks, Chinese, Indian, Arab residents? Do some of us mind, the streets of Greece smelling food overwhelmingly of different ethnic origin? Personally, I prefer Greek homogeneity.

Back on the topic of the Chinese, I would lean towards thinking the Chinese in Greece will not go as far as some Chinese in Richmond in the short to medium term horizon.

But I bet you are O.K. with having a MCdicks, Subway, KFC, and Starbucks in every corner of the world right?

CivicBlues 07-07-2015 01:46 PM

Quote:

What a bunch of 'yellow-peril' nonsense. I've been to Greece twice and I can tell you emphatically that most if not all businesses are run by Greeks. Your author is on crack. If he means large concerns like hotels and resorts, then how is that different from any other parts of the world?

Quote:

This is exactly what Greece is, a melting pot of cultures from all around the world; Italian, Turkish, Arabic, Slavic, British, American influences stewing over 5 millennia of history. "Greek Homogeneity"? Oxymoron.

GojiraBNR34 07-07-2015 04:35 PM

Quote:

Never been to Greece but an author I know of, reports and claims many tourist hotspots in Greece are owned by Chinese!

Also calling bullshit on this. The only thing I've heard is that a lot of business owners in Milan and Paris are Wenzhounese, especially with respect to import/export concerns.

Some off-topic musings about Wenzhou behind the spoiler:

Spoiler!

Mrblee 07-07-2015 06:35 PM

I'm mixed, English/Chinese and I feel the only thing I can identify with is being Canadian.

synchrocone 07-07-2015 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8657177)
But I bet you are O.K. with having a MCdicks, Subway, KFC, and Starbucks in every corner of the world right?

I have to talk my way out of this. I'm ok with it if I only have $10 and not much time to have a solid meal.

I can't quote MoBetta on anything except for a fail button. Can he specify anything that's factually wrong or has any problems he personally has with my above post? I don't speak Greek (actually some Greek), but I will try my best with English.

synchrocone 07-07-2015 07:50 PM

Quote:

What a bunch of 'yellow-peril' nonsense. I've been to Greece twice and I can tell you emphatically that most if not all businesses are run by Greeks. Your author is on crack. If he means large concerns like hotels and resorts, then how is that different from any other parts of the world?
I'm really glad you've been to Greece twice now. You must really have had a great time as it has been described as one of the nicest places in the world. I don't know where your getting at asking me a question. It is different because tourism is by percentage more significant to the economy than most other economies? You should be able to figure it out I would gather.

Manic! 07-07-2015 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by synchrocone (Post 8657339)
I have to talk my way out of this. I'm ok with it if I only have $10 and not much time to have a solid meal.

I can't quote MoBetta on anything except for a fail button. Can he specify anything that's factually wrong or has any problems he personally has with my above post? I don't speak Greek (actually some Greek), but I will try my best with English.

$10 will buy you enough Samosas to feed 2/3 people in Surrey. Mcdicks is considered a luxury in many countries. Also what makes you think Greeks don't like Indian food?

synchrocone 07-07-2015 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CivicBlues (Post 8657187)

This is exactly what Greece is, a melting pot of cultures from all around the world; Italian, Turkish, Arabic, Slavic, British, American influences stewing over 5 millennia of history. "Greek Homogeneity"? Oxymoron.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GojiraBNR34 (Post 8657258)
Also calling bullshit on this. The only thing I've heard is that a lot of business owners in Milan and Paris are Wenzhounese, especially with respect to import/export concerns.

Some off-topic musings about Wenzhou behind the spoiler:

Spoiler!

Nice bit of info noobie. I bet when some of those people decide to travel, they might want to think twice on hiring security if they decide to go out of the resort/hotel. You realize the all-inclusive packages don't exactly spin all the money out to the locals(?).

synchrocone 07-07-2015 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8657359)
$10 will buy you enough Samosas to feed 2/3 people in Surrey. Mcdicks is considered a luxury in many countries. Also what makes you think Greeks don't like Indian food?

I don't know. I've never been there and my best friend in elementary school, who happen(ed)s to be Greek, well, we never had Indian food.

I had Greek food once and it came with soup. Had to pack it because it made me feel weird because it had pork in it. Back to the topic of Chinese, I think it was run and owned by Chinese.

gilllgamesh 07-07-2015 10:33 PM

This thread makes me think. Makes me think long and hard, long and hard.

She is underage but the Hellenic Princess has a lot going for her.:whistle:

synchrocone 07-07-2015 10:49 PM

Boat people from Syria and Afghanistan set up migrant camp in Kos, Greece | Daily Mail Online

Before Gullulu and Skinnypup change gears in there factory setup transmission; any reason your guy's right amygdala could be involved?

Lomac 07-07-2015 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by synchrocone (Post 8657380)
I don't know. I've never been there and my best friend in elementary school, who happen(ed)s to be Greek, well, we never had Indian food.

I had Greek food once and it came with soup. Had to pack it because it made me feel weird because it had pork in it. Back to the topic of Chinese, I think it was run and owned by Chinese.

From the mouth of my Kamloops roommate, who is Greek and actually goes back there every year, Indian food is popular over there. Lots of good take out and dine in restaurants that serve authentic Indian cuisine.

Lomac 07-07-2015 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by synchrocone (Post 8657342)
I'm really glad you've been to Greece twice now. You must really have had a great time as it has been described as one of the nicest places in the world. I don't know where your getting at asking me a question. It is different because tourism is by percentage more significant to the economy than most other economies? You should be able to figure it out I would gather.

Yes, Greece's economy is largely dependant on tourism (something like 18% of their GDP), but that doesn't mean it's controlled by foreign resort owners. Yes, there are likely resorts and hotels that are owned by foreign citizens or entities, but the majority of tourism to Greece goes through homegrown shops, tours, hotels/BnB's, restaurants, etc. Most people who go to Greece do so for the same reason why they go to Italy or France: authenticity and Greece's history. You want to sleep at a converted monastery in Athens, eat at a homestyle Greek restaurant, visit the fantastic ruins, etc. The majority of all that is run by Greek natives, not foreigners.

Akinari 07-07-2015 11:05 PM

http://orig12.deviantart.net/d715/f/...re-d5f6o9n.jpg

Gululu, maybe if you stopped saying the things you're saying here in this thread in real life and stop acting like you've been victimized for being too rich or some shit and fronting your China love, people would stop being so racist to you.