REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2015, 09:34 AM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
Gululu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Shaughnessy
Posts: 564
Thanked 755 Times in 209 Posts
CBC (canadian born chinese)

I have a few questions for all you CBCs out there. I know there are quite a number of you on here.

1. Do you still face racism each day living in Vancouver? If yes, how bad would you say it is?

2. Since you will never be accepted as a proper Canadian, then how do you identify yourself? Basically, are you Chinese or Canadian? (just keep in mind you will never be recognized as a true Canadian, because you will have brown eyes, black hair, yellow skin)

3. How is your financial status currently? we recent arrivals have a saying that all CBCs are poor people because they arrived to Canada with no money. Do you currently own your home? or rent? are you financially well off?

4. Do you like to interact with us recent arrival Chinese? or do you hate us? do you feel happy living in Vancouver?

if anyone feel there is more to add, please chime in below
Advertisement
Gululu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2015, 09:37 AM   #2
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
white rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Your Moms House
Posts: 3,143
Thanked 2,916 Times in 1,120 Posts
<------white dude in for answers
__________________
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2015, 09:38 AM   #3
Proud to be called a RS Regular!
 
kuruuze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Maple Ridge
Posts: 147
Thanked 18 Times in 9 Posts
cool story
kuruuze is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2015, 09:41 AM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
EmperorIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: home
Posts: 2,695
Thanked 3,676 Times in 808 Posts
bro i buy houses with union pay.
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:45 AM   #5
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
 
nabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: vancouver
Posts: 5,526
Thanked 3,333 Times in 1,061 Posts
I'm not a CBC but I am definitely a visible "minority" in Vancouver who was born in Vancouver, and who's parents were raised here. .

1. I do not face racism each day, however I do often get classified with the people that are recent immigrants. The recent immigrants give us a bad name. I do feel like they made it worse for us people who were born here.

2. I have always been accepted as a proper Canadian. I have never Identified myself as anything other than a Canadian. Canada is truly multi cultural, there is no real identifying characteristics of a "Proper Canadian".

3. My financial status is great. Parents struggled a lot to get us good education, helped us through a lot of things. Proud to say I can stand on my own two feet now.

4. I do interact with the recent immigrants. I do not hate them, I do think there are a few bad apples that spoil the bunch. I have a lot of friends who are new to Canada.

Hope that helps. Even though I'm not CBC.
__________________
.

Looking for something to do tonight? ====> OFFICIAL MUSIC EVENTS CALENDAR

Spoiler!
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:08 AM   #6
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled
 
swfk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,738
Thanked 3,709 Times in 675 Posts
I think being "Canadian Born" doesn't mean you're split into a category. I am Canadian born but all my friends think I'm born in Hong Kong or something.

What really differentiates are the families. I speak fluent Cantonese at home and learned mandarin through working in China and taking classes in Canada. My parents didn't want me to just straight up speak English. In fact my mom would bring out feather duster if I spoke English to her when I was little.

Yet I have few friends who were born in Hong Kong and just forgot the Chinese culture. They don't speak any Chinese maybe one or two words, North American music, dont know the Chinese traditions like giving things with two hands etc.

As for your questions,
No I do not face any racism, maybe Chinese in the states do but not in Vancouver anyways.

Wtf are you saying I will never be accepted as Canadian? There's something seriously fucked up about that question. I think the only rejection about CBC being Canadian in all my life is this question.

What do Canadians look like? Canada is multicultural as fuck bro. It's a giant melting pot of cultures and being "white" doesn't make someone more Canadian.

Question back at you recent arrivals. Are you spending your parents money? Or are you talking about parents vs parents? The Chinese who can afford to move to Canada are the middle to high class families. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to afford to move anyways.

The "CBC" who are here were the decently well off Hong Kong and Taiwanese who moved here from the 1990s. Many Taiwanese seems to have moved away and lots of Hong Kong originated families have move away as well. That explains many businesses who used to be owned by HK TW families being sold to and operated by new immigrated Chinese.

I used to sell auto services and styling parts catered to the mainland Chinese. (Shop has changed direction since) My take about this is that, local tuning car enthusiasts will buy parts from the states, ship it to the border, and install themselves. Only if it gets too tough then they find a shop for install. Hard for a shop to earn money.

Mainland Chinese prefer to have someone handle all the stress from ordering the part to installing it. It's not that stressful but perhaps they see it as a hassle.

I've seen some mainland Chinese that have absorbed the local community and culture and just flew with it. But of course there are some who have nothing good to offer and instead brought the bad manners for one example like spitting on the floor indoors, not holding doors open and such. Just small things.

You gululu is another example, maybe you post on Van People or Van Sky (Idk if that still exists) but you also post on RS, by having someone that came to Canada and decided to absorb the local culture is a big step forward to actually moving to Canada. Or else you'll just be in a Chinese bubble in Richmond surrounded by the same people.
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2015, 10:21 AM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
jasonturbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Van
Posts: 2,733
Thanked 6,667 Times in 1,188 Posts
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo
Follow me on Instagram @jasonturtle if you want to feel better about your life
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2015, 10:33 AM   #8
The RS Freebie guru
 
InvisibleSoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: East Vancouver
Posts: 22,029
Thanked 2,489 Times in 859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gululu View Post
2. Since you will never be accepted as a proper Canadian, then how do you identify yourself? Basically, are you Chinese or Canadian? (just keep in mind you will never be recognized as a true Canadian, because you will have brown eyes, black hair, yellow skin)
In this context, "Chinese" is the ethnicity. "Canadian" is the nationality.

They are not mutually exclusive.

I am "Chinese" because my ancestors are from China.

I am "Canadian" because I was born and raised in Canada.

I am not one or the other. I am both.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2015, 10:36 AM   #9
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
Akinari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,827
Thanked 4,539 Times in 1,189 Posts
I love how OP simply assumes Canadian-born Asian immigrants are all poor and aren't identified as Canadians, then proceeds to seek acceptance as a clueless mainland Chinese immigrant by asking us if we like him or not.

I arrived in BC from Taiwan when I was not even 1 year of age and grew up in the whitest part of Metro Vancouver where there was quite literally not a single Asian person. I own a Canadian passport and I'm a citizen of Canada. Please explain why I cannot be identified as Canadian...?

Also since OP probably only hangs out with his kind, he is unaware of how many balling outta control CBC peeps are in Vancouver, many of whom I am acquainted with.

OP is a fucking cunt.
__________________
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-01-2015, 10:36 AM   #10
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS
 
underscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kel-pwn-a
Posts: 11,975
Thanked 4,962 Times in 2,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gululu View Post
2. Since you will never be accepted as a proper Canadian, then how do you identify yourself? Basically, are you Chinese or Canadian? (just keep in mind you will never be recognized as a true Canadian, because you will have brown eyes, black hair, yellow skin)
I'm pretty sure the mindset that you aren't a "proper" Canadian is the main thing keeping you from being one. Every single person living on this continent is here because of immigration at one point or another. So to me, if you have a passport that says "Canada" on it, you're a true Canadian.
__________________
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S // 1991 Toyota Celica GTFour RC FOR SALE // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2015, 10:38 AM   #11
Need to Seek Professional Help
 
Eastwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Victoria
Posts: 1,031
Thanked 468 Times in 101 Posts
What is with number 2? Since you will never be accepted as Canadian?

You have it all wrong...
Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:58 AM   #12
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 4,352
Thanked 1,793 Times in 823 Posts
OP is probably trolling, but since this forum was started by a crew of CBCs, here's my perspective as a 3rd-generation CBC.

1. Faced a bit of racism as a kid from random white people, but the days of open racism in Vancouver are over.

2. The notion of a quintessential Canadian is nebulous at best, so I'm not sure what the OP is getting at. Possibly, this question comes from the fact that the OP has chosen to not integrate or at least try to understand Canada beyond his ethnic enclave.

3. Definitely above-average, like most 2nd or 3rd-generation CBCs. The majority of us are university-educated and have enough social skills to play office politics and secure comfortable roles as high-level professionals or middle-managers.

4. There are times when I'm annoyed at Mainlanders' lack of manners and general aloofness to what's going on around them. It's the little things that bother me, like not saying "please" and "thank you", not holding doors for other people when they're in distress, or not moving out of the way when we need to get off elevators. I could resort to elbows in the face, but I'm not that rude.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:03 AM   #13
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,452
Thanked 2,665 Times in 960 Posts
There is no definition of a Canadian, really, the opposite would be Japan where Japanese are truly Japanese
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:22 AM   #14
RS Veteran
 
bcrdukes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: YYZ / YUL
Posts: 24,826
Thanked 6,596 Times in 2,598 Posts
I get so pissed off when I try to buy my double shot espressos at JJ Bean and they tell me they don't accept Union Pay. And they give me dirty looks when I pull away in my Lambo. Fucking jealous Canadians man!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy
Fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
no one said being a hipster was cheap.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:45 AM   #15
degenerate extraordinaire
 
Ikkaku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: missing rmd
Posts: 6,227
Thanked 489 Times in 233 Posts
Given the post history of OP, I feel like his intentions are to solely look at question 3 and 4, as well as to reiterate his often mentioned point of mainlanders being extremely rich.

I also agree with swfk that a lot (not all) of the people from HK/Taiwan whom immigrated over around the 80/90's were decently wealthy. Of course, they weren't blowing money around like the wealthy Chinese people do these days.

Another difference between then and now is that families often immigrated in hope for a nicer future. They came over and assimilated to the culture, and had to work hard to get back up. Of course there are many exceptions. However, these days, Vancouver is more like a vacation home where they come over to play, while the businesses remain in China.
__________________
Quote:
Originally posted by 97ITR
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2015, 11:50 AM   #16
I keep RS good
 
Ulic Qel-Droma's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Cosmos
Posts: 28,361
Thanked 5,348 Times in 1,408 Posts
where can i apply to be a citizen of the internet?

too asian to hang with the whites.
too white to hang with the asians.

i identify as a terran.

i don't hold myself to any culture or tradition.

a globalist.

but i hold a canadian passport. so i guess i am canadian by default. culturally i am not really canadian. nor chinese.

i am my own culture. i do whatever the fuck i want.
__________________
nipples neways...wat is with those fuck'n asians! i mean you would think they've never seen a dentist in their life. are dentists really that rare over there in ricey ricey and? looks like they're star trek ferrengi rejects! fuck'n have broken glass for teeth! goddaymn! and the smell....did a rat crawl in there and shit itself then marinate in its own shit as it decayed?ewwwwwwwwww! i swear...if one of those ferrengi asian girls gave head...when u pull the dick out it looks like it went thru a meat grinder! prolly shaved off a few slices of meat! *shudder*
Greebo i t-boned some guy and killed their baby, it was funny
silvia i have a couple asian guy friends that do very well with the ladies. but guess what, they go to the gym, they dont have long hair, they dont wear orange pants, and they dont play counterstrike. its not the ethnicity that the girls dont like, its the style and personality.
450HP Supra I am about to use your eye sockets as a shoe rack for my nuts. ...something about chinks, j-bodys, I can't quite remember as I was drunk and looking for a girl to punch in the clit. Think of it as a digital urinal, and you are the mint, except, instead of actually smelling mint, you smell like mothballs, rotten kimchee and virginity. I'm about to start drinking heavily now and you better be gone before I get back or I swear to god I will break the internet over my knee and use the pieces to beat you in the deformed skull with, cock muffler.
Iceman-19 If your gf cooks and cleans, good, tell the guy to take a fucking hike. If she doesnt, fuck, that joker can have her. Lifes too short to cook your own meals and do your own laundry, thats what women are for!
http://ho316.tumblr.com
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2015, 11:55 AM   #17
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
 
nabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: vancouver
Posts: 5,526
Thanked 3,333 Times in 1,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
In this context, "Chinese" is the ethnicity. "Canadian" is the nationality.

They are not mutually exclusive.

I am "Chinese" because my ancestors are from China.

I am "Canadian" because I was born and raised in Canada.

I am not one or the other. I am both.
something new learned by me in this thread... Invisible Soul is Chinese... I thought you were white... lol.
__________________
.

Looking for something to do tonight? ====> OFFICIAL MUSIC EVENTS CALENDAR

Spoiler!
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2015, 11:57 AM   #18
I don't get it
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: YVR
Posts: 429
Thanked 238 Times in 134 Posts
IMO Vancouver there is little to no racism but outside the lower mainland there's still racism especially if the only cultural thing in their town is the great wall chinese restaurant. Just read the comment section in the CBC whenever they post some article like "Chinese/Foreign buyer buying up Vancouver"

There's also the issue why every top Canadian company the management and board of director's are all white even though we have fully integrated 2nd/3rd generation CBC.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:02 PM   #19
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Gucci Mane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SRY
Posts: 2,628
Thanked 2,577 Times in 920 Posts
no dude, its not the fact that you are chinese. its because you're a douchetart that people treat you the way they do.


/thread
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2015, 12:07 PM   #20
RS Veteran
 
bcrdukes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: YYZ / YUL
Posts: 24,826
Thanked 6,596 Times in 2,598 Posts
Wait, someone aware me on who/what Gululu is and how he has offended the netizens of Revscene and why we should even give a flying fuck?

To answer OPs questions:

1. Do you still face racism each day living in Vancouver? If yes, how bad would you say it is? Yes - everyday and it's pretty bad. See my post above. Not accepting Union Pay is indirect racism.

2. Since you will never be accepted as a proper Canadian, then how do you identify yourself? Basically, are you Chinese or Canadian? (just keep in mind you will never be recognized as a true Canadian, because you will have brown eyes, black hair, yellow skin) I dyed my hair blonde to fit in, but it doesn't seem to work. Regardless, I identify myself as a White Anglo-Saxon. The blue contacts help a lot.

3. How is your financial status currently? we recent arrivals have a saying that all CBCs are poor people because they arrived to Canada with no money. Do you currently own your home? or rent? are you financially well off? My parents taught me to be humble, but shit, the strata fees at the Shangri-La are dipping into my daily allowance!

4. Do you like to interact with us recent arrival Chinese? or do you hate us? do you feel happy living in Vancouver? This part is a secret. Text if srs.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy
Fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
no one said being a hipster was cheap.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2015, 12:30 PM   #21
degenerate extraordinaire
 
Ikkaku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: missing rmd
Posts: 6,227
Thanked 489 Times in 233 Posts
if mere strata fees are dipping into your daily allowance, it just means your parent's don't love you.
__________________
Quote:
Originally posted by 97ITR
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2015, 12:31 PM   #22
They let me be a moderator. LOL
 
SpuGen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,129
Thanked 3,423 Times in 830 Posts
Chinese. Vancouver born and raised.
Parents own the home.
I work in steel trades, because I actually enjoy it.
I'm comfortable financially. I spend money on stupid things, but I'm not in debt.
I listen to rock, hip hop, and sometimes Asian pop.
I speak Cantonese and English fluently.
Depending on how drunk I am, I also speak Korean and Mandarin. I don't even know how.
I have manners. I know the intricacies of Chinese culture.
I dyed my hair. It washed out and now I'm blonde. Total accident.
I shoot the shit with my boss on the regular, and have secured my job. I out drink most people.
I smash fobby girls on the regular. They like me because I don't buy their affection. I've dated more white females than Asian.

If you want a comparison, my best friend is white. Born in the UK, and speaks to my mom in Mandarin.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2015, 12:33 PM   #23
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
radioman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,567
Thanked 3,032 Times in 799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Wait, someone aware me on who/what Gululu is and how he has offended the netizens of Revscene and why we should even give a flying fuck?
I think he's one of those chicks from the ultra rich Chinese girls YouTube show.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2015, 01:01 PM   #24
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
Gululu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Shaughnessy
Posts: 564
Thanked 755 Times in 209 Posts
I think we have reached a consensus from above discussions. Direct discrimination and subtle racism against people of Asian descends is still very widely practiced and well at play here in our Vancouver, BC. our common enemy is the white people. I think we should all work together and help each other in all ways necessary regardless of whether u arrived here early or late.
Gululu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:03 PM   #25
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Richmond
Posts: 4,990
Thanked 7,934 Times in 2,061 Posts
Lol gululu. We don't accept you as Canadian because all you seem to do is hang out with your rich ass super car owning 20 year old Chinese friends.
__________________
http://i.imgur.com/4PRtABe.gif
320icar is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net