REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   CBC (canadian born chinese) (https://www.revscene.net/forums/704157-cbc-canadian-born-chinese.html)

Gululu 07-01-2015 08:34 AM

CBC (canadian born chinese)

I have a few questions for all you CBCs out there. I know there are quite a number of you on here.

1. Do you still face racism each day living in Vancouver? If yes, how bad would you say it is?

2. Since you will never be accepted as a proper Canadian, then how do you identify yourself? Basically, are you Chinese or Canadian? (just keep in mind you will never be recognized as a true Canadian, because you will have brown eyes, black hair, yellow skin)

3. How is your financial status currently? we recent arrivals have a saying that all CBCs are poor people because they arrived to Canada with no money. Do you currently own your home? or rent? are you financially well off?

4. Do you like to interact with us recent arrival Chinese? or do you hate us? do you feel happy living in Vancouver?

if anyone feel there is more to add, please chime in below

white rocket 07-01-2015 08:37 AM

<------white dude in for answers

kuruuze 07-01-2015 08:38 AM

cool story

EmperorIS 07-01-2015 08:41 AM

bro i buy houses with union pay.

nabs 07-01-2015 08:45 AM

I'm not a CBC but I am definitely a visible "minority" in Vancouver who was born in Vancouver, and who's parents were raised here. .

1. I do not face racism each day, however I do often get classified with the people that are recent immigrants. The recent immigrants give us a bad name. I do feel like they made it worse for us people who were born here.

2. I have always been accepted as a proper Canadian. I have never Identified myself as anything other than a Canadian. Canada is truly multi cultural, there is no real identifying characteristics of a "Proper Canadian".

3. My financial status is great. Parents struggled a lot to get us good education, helped us through a lot of things. Proud to say I can stand on my own two feet now.

4. I do interact with the recent immigrants. I do not hate them, I do think there are a few bad apples that spoil the bunch. I have a lot of friends who are new to Canada.

Hope that helps. Even though I'm not CBC.

swfk 07-01-2015 09:08 AM

I think being "Canadian Born" doesn't mean you're split into a category. I am Canadian born but all my friends think I'm born in Hong Kong or something.

What really differentiates are the families. I speak fluent Cantonese at home and learned mandarin through working in China and taking classes in Canada. My parents didn't want me to just straight up speak English. In fact my mom would bring out feather duster if I spoke English to her when I was little.

Yet I have few friends who were born in Hong Kong and just forgot the Chinese culture. They don't speak any Chinese maybe one or two words, North American music, dont know the Chinese traditions like giving things with two hands etc.

As for your questions,
No I do not face any racism, maybe Chinese in the states do but not in Vancouver anyways.

Wtf are you saying I will never be accepted as Canadian? There's something seriously fucked up about that question. I think the only rejection about CBC being Canadian in all my life is this question.

What do Canadians look like? Canada is multicultural as fuck bro. It's a giant melting pot of cultures and being "white" doesn't make someone more Canadian.

Question back at you recent arrivals. Are you spending your parents money? Or are you talking about parents vs parents? The Chinese who can afford to move to Canada are the middle to high class families. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to afford to move anyways.

The "CBC" who are here were the decently well off Hong Kong and Taiwanese who moved here from the 1990s. Many Taiwanese seems to have moved away and lots of Hong Kong originated families have move away as well. That explains many businesses who used to be owned by HK TW families being sold to and operated by new immigrated Chinese.

I used to sell auto services and styling parts catered to the mainland Chinese. (Shop has changed direction since) My take about this is that, local tuning car enthusiasts will buy parts from the states, ship it to the border, and install themselves. Only if it gets too tough then they find a shop for install. Hard for a shop to earn money.

Mainland Chinese prefer to have someone handle all the stress from ordering the part to installing it. It's not that stressful but perhaps they see it as a hassle.

I've seen some mainland Chinese that have absorbed the local community and culture and just flew with it. But of course there are some who have nothing good to offer and instead brought the bad manners for one example like spitting on the floor indoors, not holding doors open and such. Just small things.

You gululu is another example, maybe you post on Van People or Van Sky (Idk if that still exists) but you also post on RS, by having someone that came to Canada and decided to absorb the local culture is a big step forward to actually moving to Canada. Or else you'll just be in a Chinese bubble in Richmond surrounded by the same people.

jasonturbo 07-01-2015 09:21 AM

http://cdn.funnyhub.com/2015/jan/fac...facepalm30.gif

InvisibleSoul 07-01-2015 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gululu (Post 8654846)
2. Since you will never be accepted as a proper Canadian, then how do you identify yourself? Basically, are you Chinese or Canadian? (just keep in mind you will never be recognized as a true Canadian, because you will have brown eyes, black hair, yellow skin)

In this context, "Chinese" is the ethnicity. "Canadian" is the nationality.

They are not mutually exclusive.

I am "Chinese" because my ancestors are from China.

I am "Canadian" because I was born and raised in Canada.

I am not one or the other. I am both.

Akinari 07-01-2015 09:36 AM

I love how OP simply assumes Canadian-born Asian immigrants are all poor and aren't identified as Canadians, then proceeds to seek acceptance as a clueless mainland Chinese immigrant by asking us if we like him or not.

I arrived in BC from Taiwan when I was not even 1 year of age and grew up in the whitest part of Metro Vancouver where there was quite literally not a single Asian person. I own a Canadian passport and I'm a citizen of Canada. Please explain why I cannot be identified as Canadian...?

Also since OP probably only hangs out with his kind, he is unaware of how many balling outta control CBC peeps are in Vancouver, many of whom I am acquainted with.

OP is a fucking cunt.

underscore 07-01-2015 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gululu (Post 8654846)

I'm pretty sure the mindset that you aren't a "proper" Canadian is the main thing keeping you from being one. Every single person living on this continent is here because of immigration at one point or another. So to me, if you have a passport that says "Canada" on it, you're a true Canadian.

Eastwood 07-01-2015 09:38 AM

What is with number 2? Since you will never be accepted as Canadian?

You have it all wrong...

Tapioca 07-01-2015 09:58 AM

OP is probably trolling, but since this forum was started by a crew of CBCs, here's my perspective as a 3rd-generation CBC.

1. Faced a bit of racism as a kid from random white people, but the days of open racism in Vancouver are over.

2. The notion of a quintessential Canadian is nebulous at best, so I'm not sure what the OP is getting at. Possibly, this question comes from the fact that the OP has chosen to not integrate or at least try to understand Canada beyond his ethnic enclave.

3. Definitely above-average, like most 2nd or 3rd-generation CBCs. The majority of us are university-educated and have enough social skills to play office politics and secure comfortable roles as high-level professionals or middle-managers.

4. There are times when I'm annoyed at Mainlanders' lack of manners and general aloofness to what's going on around them. It's the little things that bother me, like not saying "please" and "thank you", not holding doors for other people when they're in distress, or not moving out of the way when we need to get off elevators. I could resort to elbows in the face, but I'm not that rude.

multicartual 07-01-2015 10:03 AM

There is no definition of a Canadian, really, the opposite would be Japan where Japanese are truly Japanese

bcrdukes 07-01-2015 10:22 AM

I get so pissed off when I try to buy my double shot espressos at JJ Bean and they tell me they don't accept Union Pay. And they give me dirty looks when I pull away in my Lambo. Fucking jealous Canadians man! :mad:

Ikkaku 07-01-2015 10:45 AM

Given the post history of OP, I feel like his intentions are to solely look at question 3 and 4, as well as to reiterate his often mentioned point of mainlanders being extremely rich.

I also agree with swfk that a lot (not all) of the people from HK/Taiwan whom immigrated over around the 80/90's were decently wealthy. Of course, they weren't blowing money around like the wealthy Chinese people do these days.

Another difference between then and now is that families often immigrated in hope for a nicer future. They came over and assimilated to the culture, and had to work hard to get back up. Of course there are many exceptions. However, these days, Vancouver is more like a vacation home where they come over to play, while the businesses remain in China.

Ulic Qel-Droma 07-01-2015 10:50 AM

where can i apply to be a citizen of the internet?

too asian to hang with the whites.
too white to hang with the asians.

i identify as a terran.

i don't hold myself to any culture or tradition.

a globalist.

but i hold a canadian passport. so i guess i am canadian by default. culturally i am not really canadian. nor chinese.

i am my own culture. i do whatever the fuck i want.

nabs 07-01-2015 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul (Post 8654881)
In this context, "Chinese" is the ethnicity. "Canadian" is the nationality.

They are not mutually exclusive.

I am "Chinese" because my ancestors are from China.

I am "Canadian" because I was born and raised in Canada.

I am not one or the other. I am both.

something new learned by me in this thread... Invisible Soul is Chinese... I thought you were white... lol.

noclue 07-01-2015 10:57 AM

IMO Vancouver there is little to no racism but outside the lower mainland there's still racism especially if the only cultural thing in their town is the great wall chinese restaurant. Just read the comment section in the CBC whenever they post some article like "Chinese/Foreign buyer buying up Vancouver"

There's also the issue why every top Canadian company the management and board of director's are all white even though we have fully integrated 2nd/3rd generation CBC.

Gucci Mane 07-01-2015 11:02 AM

no dude, its not the fact that you are chinese. its because you're a douchetart that people treat you the way they do.

/thread

bcrdukes 07-01-2015 11:07 AM

Wait, someone aware me on who/what Gululu is and how he has offended the netizens of Revscene and why we should even give a flying fuck? :suspicious:

To answer OPs questions:

1. Do you still face racism each day living in Vancouver? If yes, how bad would you say it is? Yes - everyday and it's pretty bad. See my post above. Not accepting Union Pay is indirect racism.

2. Since you will never be accepted as a proper Canadian, then how do you identify yourself? Basically, are you Chinese or Canadian? (just keep in mind you will never be recognized as a true Canadian, because you will have brown eyes, black hair, yellow skin) I dyed my hair blonde to fit in, but it doesn't seem to work. Regardless, I identify myself as a White Anglo-Saxon. The blue contacts help a lot.

3. How is your financial status currently? we recent arrivals have a saying that all CBCs are poor people because they arrived to Canada with no money. Do you currently own your home? or rent? are you financially well off? My parents taught me to be humble, but shit, the strata fees at the Shangri-La are dipping into my daily allowance!

4. Do you like to interact with us recent arrival Chinese? or do you hate us? do you feel happy living in Vancouver? This part is a secret. Text if srs.

Ikkaku 07-01-2015 11:30 AM

if mere strata fees are dipping into your daily allowance, it just means your parent's don't love you.

SpuGen 07-01-2015 11:31 AM

Chinese. Vancouver born and raised.
Parents own the home.
I work in steel trades, because I actually enjoy it.
I'm comfortable financially. I spend money on stupid things, but I'm not in debt.
I listen to rock, hip hop, and sometimes Asian pop.
I speak Cantonese and English fluently.
Depending on how drunk I am, I also speak Korean and Mandarin. I don't even know how.
I have manners. I know the intricacies of Chinese culture.
I dyed my hair. It washed out and now I'm blonde. Total accident.
I shoot the shit with my boss on the regular, and have secured my job. I out drink most people.
I smash fobby girls on the regular. They like me because I don't buy their affection. I've dated more white females than Asian.

If you want a comparison, my best friend is white. Born in the UK, and speaks to my mom in Mandarin.

radioman 07-01-2015 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8654965)
Wait, someone aware me on who/what Gululu is and how he has offended the netizens of Revscene and why we should even give a flying fuck? :suspicious:

I think he's one of those chicks from the ultra rich Chinese girls YouTube show.

Gululu 07-01-2015 12:01 PM

I think we have reached a consensus from above discussions. Direct discrimination and subtle racism against people of Asian descends is still very widely practiced and well at play here in our Vancouver, BC. our common enemy is the white people. I think we should all work together and help each other in all ways necessary regardless of whether u arrived here early or late.

320icar 07-01-2015 12:03 PM

Lol gululu. We don't accept you as Canadian because all you seem to do is hang out with your rich ass super car owning 20 year old Chinese friends.