REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:29 PM   #26
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,819 Times in 3,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Water restrictions are going to become the norm in the future. Summers are getting longer and more humid in Metro Vancouver. So much for paradise, eh?
I'll take this weather over doom and gloom 8 months out of the year, tyvm

Any time I'm sweating my balls off I refrain from complaining because this is still nothing compared to the humidity in east asia or the oven heat in Nevada/Arizona/NM/Utah
Advertisement
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:43 PM   #27
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by belka View Post
I don't understand, Vancouver is next to the ocean..

Its nothing to do with how close to the ocean.
As I remember Its got something to do with the soil holding water...etc
ime2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-20-2015, 09:46 PM   #28
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
this is the scary shit tho

i cant find it but theres a video or a gif that shows a full USA map showing how the drought is growing from where it started to now reaching up into BC and spreading to texas
What I don't get is yes we still have a ton of under ground water for now. But what about in the next 10years, 30 years, 50 years. Shouldn't we try to stop the extraction of underground right now to make sure there are actually enough water for us to use in the future. Yes I am talking about the whole Nestea thing. Sure the water they are extracting from BC is like a tiny drop now but not in the future. Since drought is getting worse and worse in the states, Canada and other parts of the world we should really protect our water for future.......
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:48 PM   #29
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
so, would you NARC on your neighbour?

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2015, 09:52 PM   #30
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by belka View Post
I don't understand, Vancouver is next to the ocean..

Because... it needs to be desalinated... and desalination requires a lot of energy...

It doesn't make sense for us to desalinate ocean water when there is "fresh" water around us.

feedback
http://www.revscene.net/forums/showt...ighlight=noizz
Noizz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-20-2015, 09:58 PM   #31

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
So...what exactly happens to someone if they get 'caught' doing something prohibited with water
Old 07-20-2015, 10:00 PM   #32
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post
So...what exactly happens to someone if they get 'caught' doing something prohibited with water
They take your water away.

Probably a bylaw fine. How much, I have no clue.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:09 PM   #33
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
each city is different.

I've heard of $200-$500 for some

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:10 PM   #34
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stRider View Post

My office takes complaints in Van, we easily get over 100/day

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:24 PM   #35
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

When our building was having the water tested last year, the environmental officer told me that the Molson Canadian Factory on Burrard used 1/3 of all Vancouvers water supply each day for production and cleaning the tanks. They paid millions in water fees.

Also, California's biggest water use comes from animal agriculture. Convincing people not to water there lawns is great, but putting a wrench in the cattle industry would have a far greater impact.
rslater is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2015, 10:29 PM   #36
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:

Totally. My lawn is straight up yellow, haven't watered it for over a month. I see my neighbours (plural) watering their lawn using a hose every day in July. I'm going to narc them tomorrow with video footage.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:30 PM   #37
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
I'll take this weather over doom and gloom 8 months out of the year, tyvm

Any time I'm sweating my balls off I refrain from complaining because this is still nothing compared to the humidity in east asia or the oven heat in Nevada/Arizona/NM/Utah
Our winters are becoming drier. We need it to rain 8-9 months of the year so we have enough water for the 2-3 months of summer we get. It's not like we have snowpacks to sustain us for an extended period.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:31 PM   #38
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

AND nestle is still paying 2.25 per MILLION Liters of water
RickyTan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-20-2015, 10:54 PM   #39
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyTan3 View Post
AND nestle is still paying 2.25 per MILLION Liters of water
misinformation.

nestle is paying an admin fee of 2.25/million litres.

in short summary since this isn't the thread for it: the difference in "paying" or "admin fees" is huge. if you change it to "paying", a few things to consider: NAFTA, sale of commodity, not having full control of restrictions, etc.
entrax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2015, 11:34 PM   #40
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Our winters are becoming drier. We need it to rain 8-9 months of the year so we have enough water for the 2-3 months of summer we get. It's not like we have snowpacks to sustain us for an extended period.
I thought the majority WAS from snowpacks?

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:07 AM   #41
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Raincouver begging for rain... that is a first..
Mining is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-21-2015, 01:24 AM   #42
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by entrax View Post
misinformation.

nestle is paying an admin fee of 2.25/million litres.

in short summary since this isn't the thread for it: the difference in "paying" or "admin fees" is huge. if you change it to "paying", a few things to consider: NAFTA, sale of commodity, not having full control of restrictions, etc.
Please educate me then sir.

From what I am reading even if it is admin fee, they are paying only $500 per year for admin fee. Thats pretty ridiculously low.

How much are they paying for water then?

edit:
http://www.news1130.com/2015/07/19/w...ational-trade/

Trying to find more information because you said I have "misinformation".

So practically the water is free and they only charge admin fee.
RickyTan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:30 AM   #43
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
They take your water away.

Probably a bylaw fine. How much, I have no clue.
Quote:
each city is different.

I've heard of $200-$500 for some
I work for the waterworks dept in a certain city.

although fines are given, first they must receive a 1st and 2nd warning. If you have a douche bag neighbor you don't like and its within 6:30am - 11pm, feel free to report him and someone will be sent out. he has to visually see them doing so. If its midnight, you can call them in, its a 24/7/365 dispatch, but they most likely wont send anyone out after 11pm (the final crew stops at 11). The fine - its a whopping 75$ for the first offense. We haven't even given a 2nd out yet so its been decent.

exemptions - people who have permits. yes, its pathetic. I believe city hall sold them for 30$. You just have to state the reason for it. pesticides - gardens - new sod. Ive seen quite a few houses plant random plants from gardenworks in the middle of their lawn just so they can keep their sprinkler on. Although permits are no longer being issued, they will be honored until Aug 1st.

You can water your garden using a spring nozzled hose. something where you have complete control over where the water is going and spend 15 minutes watering a garden then be done.

As for water meters, as good as they sound, it would take YEARS to install them. Despite how bad of a reputation city workers have for being lazy, this would be just to much of a job to do...theres only roughly 35 people who maintain the entire city's water (aside from metrovan). There's simply other jobs that are way more important than putting in a water meter, and it can't be contracted out. Contractors are NOT allowed to touch city property...I can't tell you how many times I've caught Milanis plumbing hooked up to a fire hydrant without our awareness....not a cheap fine....HUGE fine. On a daily basis there's household water lines that break. Each one takes roughly 4 hours to fix on a 3/4" copper service line. Now imagine doing that for all the houses.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-21-2015, 06:32 AM   #44
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ime2006 View Post
Its nothing to do with how close to the ocean.
As I remember Its got something to do with the soil holding water...etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noizz View Post
Because... it needs to be desalinated... and desalination requires a lot of energy...

It doesn't make sense for us to desalinate ocean water when there is "fresh" water around us.
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-21-2015, 06:58 AM   #45
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Its strange, everywhere around where I live has restrictions but there are currently none where I am.

Also, something to look into if you are someone who normally does not water there lawn and is a home owner. Read through your insurance information. I recently found out that if you let your law become excessively dry that it is easy for a fire to start and you end up having a fire due to dry grass you may not be covered. Even more issues if you have an automated sprinkler system like we have.

Having seen and lived through multiple forest fires in my life, I see the benefit of having a lawn watered.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:51 AM   #46
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
looks like we'll just have to urinate on our lawns to keep it watered.
but then you'd get narc'd on when lawns are green due to said urination

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:19 AM   #47
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyTan3 View Post
Please educate me then sir.

From what I am reading even if it is admin fee, they are paying only $500 per year for admin fee. Thats pretty ridiculously low.

How much are they paying for water then?

edit:
Would charging Nestle more for BC water impact international trade? - NEWS 1130

Trying to find more information because you said I have "misinformation".

So practically the water is free and they only charge admin fee.
Holy crap, people need to stop getting angry at Nestle for this. Only reason people are focused on them is because they're the most visible. They're simply doing the same thing that a ton of other companies (mining comes to mind) and people with ground wells are doing. Blame the government if you want to get angry at someone - they're simply doing what the government has allowed. Nothing more.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-21-2015, 08:21 AM   #48
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 View Post
Its strange, everywhere around where I live has restrictions but there are currently none where I am.

Also, something to look into if you are someone who normally does not water there lawn and is a home owner. Read through your insurance information. I recently found out that if you let your law become excessively dry that it is easy for a fire to start and you end up having a fire due to dry grass you may not be covered. Even more issues if you have an automated sprinkler system like we have.

Having seen and lived through multiple forest fires in my life, I see the benefit of having a lawn watered.
Yeah, up here the only restrictions are one day on, one day off for watering. But being in the BC Interior, I imagine it likely has something to do with helping prevent forest fires. And yeah, my home insurance becomes void if the lawn around the house dries out. One of the many fine print points that most insurers don't talk about.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:45 AM   #49
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Holy crap, people need to stop getting angry at Nestle for this. Only reason people are focused on them is because they're the most visible. They're simply doing the same thing that a ton of other companies (mining comes to mind) and people with ground wells are doing. Blame the government if you want to get angry at someone - they're simply doing what the government has allowed. Nothing more.
Blame vancity buzz, the sheep that follow that idiotic website don't know shit, and all vancity buzz does is overhype and blow stories out of proportion in order to garner more clicks.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nestle just got tired of this crap shut down their operation, fired all 100 employees, and moved elsewhere.

Same goes for a lot of industrial operations, people keep putting us down, and making us to be the enemy, whether it be related to water, or the environment or whatever. Go ahead keep putting us down, and trying to stop our operations. Cause the moment we can't get a job in mining, or oil sands, we're just going to move back into the city and take all your jobs.

-------------

On a different note it was raining pretty hard in parts of burnaby on my way into the office this morning.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-21-2015, 09:20 AM   #50
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Edit to my previous post

As of today, no warnings will be issued anymore.

I've already received dozens of call today of pissed off neighbors. We go, take a pic, and your fined...no its ands or buts.

Permits will be honored until the 9th, not the first****
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: