REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

View Poll Results: It's Election Day!
Liberal 226 57.65%
NDP 57 14.54%
Green 7 1.79%
Conservative 66 16.84%
Other to support fringe beliefs 2 0.51%
Spoiled/Throwaway ballot 3 0.77%
Didn't Vote (BOO) 18 4.59%
Couldn't Vote for a Legit Reason 13 3.32%
Voters: 392. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2015, 01:12 PM   #776
HELP ME PLS!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 5,544
Thanked 652 Times in 346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
I don't think there was any option - social media makes it impossible to withhold information, and it's pointless to prohibit the media from releasing it when most people will find out anyway. They tried that last election, IIRC, and the news channels got left in the dust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Not really. The Atlantic Canada results just started trickling in at 630 and by 645, it was only 5-0-0 for the Liberals. By the times the polls closed at 7 here, it was maybe 10-0-0. In reality, polls were just about closed by the time results were hitting the air.
There was a ban a few elections ago to prevent the federal election results from being released until all polls were closed. It's up to the federal government whether they like to exercise this option.
Advertisement
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:13 PM   #777
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY
 
sonick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Revscene
Posts: 7,386
Thanked 4,998 Times in 1,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
I think you need to brush up on macro econ.

The global market is what determines whether or not we are in a recession, not the federal Gov.

If anything, running a deficit should help us avoid a recession, which is exactly what the cons did when they started hemorrhaging money in 2007. If they hadn't have pissed oodles of money into the economy, life would have been a lot different over the last 8 years. (Not in a good way, more like a 10%+ unemployment way and an economic depression)

Domestically there is only so much influence we have on our economy, it's the rest of the world that calls the shots.
I pretty much agree with everything you've said, and did not negate the fact there are many external factors affecting the economy. My point in the post was, in fact, that running a deficit can indeed help support the economy in rough times. And because of that, my issue is that the Cons forced spending cutbacks for selfish reason of being able to boast a surplus for the election, at the expense of Canada's economy.

Then in the campaign, turning back around criticizing the Liberals' platform of deficit spending in order help the economy, when the Cons themselves ran a way higher deficit prior to the election year.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyxx View Post
Sonick is a genius. I won't go into detail what's so great about his post. But it's damn good!
1999 Mazda Miata - Weekend Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Current
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2015, 01:37 PM   #778
...in the world.
 
Ronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Richmond
Posts: 28,460
Thanked 7,646 Times in 2,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
In addition to what you mentioned above, I would also credit the Cons and the Libs (prior to 2006) for building / ensuring we had a strong financial base prior to the global recession. However, much of this credit would fall on the late Jim Flaherty and Paul Martin. Without that strong base and a solid financial infrastructure, we wouldn't have come out of the global recession as well as we did.
True. Much like how Bush fucked up years of prosperity under Clinton in the US.
__________________
- edeats.com <-- my food blog
- edlau|photo <-- photos
- Instagram <-- moar photos
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2015, 01:53 PM   #779
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
jasonturbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Van
Posts: 2,734
Thanked 6,668 Times in 1,189 Posts
I wish Mark Carney would run for PM

He bailed on us though lol
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo
Follow me on Instagram @jasonturtle if you want to feel better about your life
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2015, 02:21 PM   #780
what manner of phaggotry is this
 
RRxtar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Kelownafornia
Posts: 17,972
Thanked 4,933 Times in 1,659 Posts
So hands up. Who actually voted liberal because they researched and feel the liberals platform was superior and who simply voted out Harper?
__________________
STRENGTHaesthetics
RRxtar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2015, 02:28 PM   #781
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.
 
Mr.HappySilp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,549
Thanked 1,665 Times in 847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
In addition to what you mentioned above, I would also credit the Cons and the Libs (prior to 2006) for building / ensuring we had a strong financial base prior to the global recession. However, much of this credit would fall on the late Jim Flaherty and Paul Martin. Without that strong base and a solid financial infrastructure, we wouldn't have come out of the global recession as well as we did.

The recession is just starting........ I love to see how Canada will be after 4 years.
Mr.HappySilp is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2015, 02:28 PM   #782
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
Soundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Abbotstan
Posts: 20,730
Thanked 12,144 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
This is not similar AT ALL.
It is in the sense that a significant portion of the vote in both cases was little more than a misinformed/uniformed "fuck you".
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
Does anyone know how many to a signature?
..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2015, 03:18 PM   #783
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 4,353
Thanked 1,794 Times in 823 Posts
No matter where you stand politically, this election was positive for the country. The Conservatives will choose a new leader who will be somewhat likeable (you can't deny that likeability is important today). The progressives will get what they want with the Liberals.

And if electoral reform actually happens, this government will leave a legacy that will last generations.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2015, 03:23 PM   #784
SFICC-03*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: richmond
Posts: 7,049
Thanked 1,525 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
So hands up. Who actually voted liberal because they researched and feel the liberals platform was superior and who simply voted out Harper?
i voted ndp to vote out the conservatives. i actually wanted an ndp government so my vote didnt change but my reason for voting did, if that makes sense. technically i should have voted liberal to vote strategically but nobody forecasted such a strong liberal turnout and conservatives got stomped in my riding by both parties.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:21 PM   #785
RS controls my life!
 
EvoFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 732
Thanked 213 Times in 98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
So hands up. Who actually voted liberal because they researched and feel the liberals platform was superior and who simply voted out Harper?
It was both for me.

I do not feel that the Conservatives' platform is terrible, but there were a lot of low points in Harper's last term. I'm sure we don't need to visit those issues anymore.
To be honest I am not sure of Trudeau's ability either, but I do feel we can do with some new blood and fresh ideas.

The Liberals landslide win is pretty much a perfect storm. If Jack Layton was still alive and running for NDP, if Conservatives had a new leader, etc. The outcome would have been very different. Mulcair, as many have said, was underwhelming.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:27 PM   #786
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here
 
hchang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: West Coast
Posts: 4,773
Thanked 2,952 Times in 682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
So hands up. Who actually voted liberal because they researched and feel the liberals platform was superior and who simply voted out Harper?
This...

I feel a lot of people just got on the Harper hate train without even knowing why they're on the train, but just cause all the other monkeys are doing it it must mean I should do it too. And hey I'm cool now cause I voted this time around #voted #myvotecounts #anythingbutconservatives #weed #yolo #swag #imcool

Do these kids really understand fully what the platform means? Or just following Trudeau cause he's charismatic and young?

I voted Conservatives but for our country's sake I hope Prime Minister Trudeau will do good. At the end of day we're still one nation with the same vision.
__________________
--------------------------

2014 Dodge RAM Sport (Current)
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-20-2015, 04:27 PM   #787
My homepage has been set to RS
 
falcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,402
Thanked 900 Times in 387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
So hands up. Who actually voted liberal because they researched and feel the liberals platform was superior and who simply voted out Harper?
I did. I am for the Liberals in about %70 of their platform. Which was very high compared to the others. I disagree with quite a few things but overall I thought they would be the best for the country going forward.

And the fact JT had a news conference today with actual open questions from the media makes me happy.
__________________
FOR SALE: 14'' MR2 MK1 wheels with 90% rubber $130, FD RX7 Transmission $200, Hitch Mount Snowboard/Ski rack w/ THULE clamps, locks $200. PM me for details!

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:37 PM   #788
In RS I Trust
 
murd0c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Mission
Posts: 19,611
Thanked 16,830 Times in 3,952 Posts
The thing I like about JT he seems to really want to listen and to give the public what we want. With the open questions to shaking hands at the Montreal subway today I really like that different approach we really haven't seen before.

Only time will tell if whats hes been saying/doing is BS but I have a strong feeling hes going to follow through with the changes he wants to make.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:49 PM   #789
Ricer Mod
 
Berzerker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Smithers
Posts: 6,665
Thanked 4,675 Times in 1,352 Posts
I voted to keep the same person locally. Being in this small town and knowing the candidates personally, I Voted for the best person. That happened to be NDP.

Berz out.
__________________
President of RS Beat Down Crew
Berzerker is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2015, 04:56 PM   #790
I have named my kids VIC and VLS
 
Hondaracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Off-Topic
Posts: 27,741
Thanked 7,286 Times in 2,578 Posts
How much was different in the liberals promises this time around compared to 2011?

Ignatief was just a brutal figure head for the party, everything down the road is going to be all about charisma and looks for the Twitter generation.

I also don't doubt that down the road huge private figures such as corporate CEO's etc will make big pushes into the prime minister/presidents seat.
__________________
Dank memes cant melt steel beams
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2015, 05:12 PM   #791
y'all better put some respeck on my name
 
Harvey Specter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 17,744
Thanked 8,027 Times in 2,087 Posts
Shit Nina Grewal got wiped out, lol.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:19 PM   #792
Not a mod
 
SoulCrusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Surrey
Posts: 1,310
Thanked 475 Times in 122 Posts
Good. She was a useless piece of shit.
SoulCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:27 PM   #793
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS
 
quasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Cloverdale
Posts: 10,231
Thanked 2,279 Times in 827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post

Edit: Funny side note, layoffs at work this morning hahaha #blameJustin
I just got an unexpected nice size raise today and I didn't even connect the dots until now.....
__________________



“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:52 PM   #794
In RS I Trust
 
murd0c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Mission
Posts: 19,611
Thanked 16,830 Times in 3,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
Shit Nina Grewal got wiped out, lol.
and it feels great to be part of that
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2015, 06:37 PM   #795
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
meme405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,625
Thanked 7,179 Times in 2,177 Posts
I voted Liberal because of his Good hair. It appears others agreed with that point as well.

__________________

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2015, 06:45 PM   #796
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
Great68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Victoria
Posts: 8,510
Thanked 2,597 Times in 849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
So hands up. Who actually voted liberal because they researched and feel the liberals platform was superior and who simply voted out Harper?


My ideologies align with Liberals the best. I've been a liberal supporter since I was first able to vote.

The only people who say the conservative's fiscal plan was "better" are the ones inherently conservative and I want their crystal ball, because realistically no one can say the Liberals' plan is any better or worse until 4 years from now.

And the last time they were running the country with majority power, the country's finances were in pretty good shape.

Of course, my vote didn't really make a difference, with the exception of Elizabeth May (Who won by a fucking landslide in her own riding) NDP took over the whole damn Island.
__________________
1968 Mustang Coupe
2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3
1997 GMC Sonoma ZR2

A vehicle for all occasions

Last edited by Great68; 10-20-2015 at 06:54 PM.
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:50 PM   #797
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
MR_BIGGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 3,530
Thanked 665 Times in 273 Posts
I think what really turned people off about the Conservatives' campaign was how negative it was, how it tried to divide people and put fear into the minds of everyone. Had Harper chosen to do a campaign that was more inclusive and positive and that didn't alienate women and minorities, he could have won. He did position himself as a veteran whose been there done that, but it backfired because it was negative.

I want to think I didn't drink the kool-aid, but change can be good. It feels as though Canada is stagnant right now. It needs fresh leadership. Maybe Trudeau isn't the man for the job, but a good leader surrounds himself with quality people. Time will tell, but just based on his pedigree, he will want to leave a positive legacy.
__________________
"A chicken crossing the street is poultry in motion"
MR_BIGGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:11 PM   #798
y'all better put some respeck on my name
 
Harvey Specter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 17,744
Thanked 8,027 Times in 2,087 Posts
Canadian values are still centre-left, the Cons moved to the far right and it backfired.

The biggest question will be whether or not the Cons continue to move to the far right or stay centre-right and crawl their way back to been an electable party come next election. This will probably depend on the new leader and where the majority of the party thinks it should go next.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2015, 07:53 PM   #799
Wanna have a threesome?
 
MindBomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Squamish
Posts: 4,886
Thanked 5,052 Times in 1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hchang View Post
This...

I feel a lot of people just got on the Harper hate train without even knowing why they're on the train, but just cause all the other monkeys are doing it it must mean I should do it too. And hey I'm cool now cause I voted this time around #voted #myvotecounts #anythingbutconservatives #weed #yolo #swag #imcool

Do these kids really understand fully what the platform means? Or just following Trudeau cause he's charismatic and young?

I voted Conservatives but for our country's sake I hope Prime Minister Trudeau will do good. At the end of day we're still one nation with the same vision.
I think you would be hard pressed to find an individual that could not cite specific issues that influenced their decision on who to support. I could list a series of reasons explaining mine, and many others here have also stated reasons explaining theirs. The Liberals did not win on the backs of millennial naivety but on their center-left platform that matches Canadian values. The Conservatives right platform reflects that they are complacent and out of touch with Canadians. The fact that they have been severely tarnished by scandal these past four years certainly didn't help them, either.

Cheer up, you Conservatives had a good run.

Last edited by MindBomber; 10-20-2015 at 07:59 PM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:56 PM   #800
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
MR_BIGGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 3,530
Thanked 665 Times in 273 Posts
Even though Jason Kenny could be a front runner for the leadership, I can see Dianne Watts trying to make a move eventually.
__________________
"A chicken crossing the street is poultry in motion"
MR_BIGGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net