REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-07-2015, 02:27 PM   #1
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
Vancouver's mayor wants to make the city a sanctuary for Syrian refugees

Vancouver's mayor wants to make the city a sanctuary for Syrian refugees - NEWS 1130

Quote:
VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) Vancouver’s mayor wants to make the city a sanctuary for Syrian refugees, starting with an information forum tomorrow night. The city says the Government of Canada isn’t meeting its international obligations to help with this crisis.

Gregor Robertson says the federal government should be looking at taking in 20,000 refugees each year by 2020 and he’s made a motion to send the request to the government in writing.

“The people of Vancouver have a proud history of welcoming refugees, and a deep commitment to ensuring that families affected by this ongoing crisis can find new hope, security, and opportunity in Canada. Vancouver must continue to expand upon the steps we are taking to be a welcoming city, but it’s clear that the Government of Canada has not been meeting our international obligations in this continuing humanitarian crisis.”

And the city has heard from citizens wanting to help who may not know how to start. Eyob Naizghi with MOSAIC, an immigrant support society, will be there. He says it’s disappointing this responsibility has fallen to municipal governments and community groups. “Usually the federal government has taken a leadership role in this kind of situation. And we have good examples we could learn from. The Vietnamese boat people is one. The Kosovo refugees is another one. I think those are good strategies, compassionate strategies that Canada has taken in the past that we need to look at.”

The forum happens at the Town Hall meeting room at Vancouver City Hall at 7pm Tuesday, September 8th.
Oh fuck off.
Advertisement
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 02:32 PM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,490 Times in 1,688 Posts
Mayor Bike Boy is giving me another reason to not vote for his party in the next civic election.

Really?
Old 09-07-2015, 02:36 PM   #3
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

aka cheap labour.
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-07-2015, 02:40 PM   #4
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
I would be all for taking refugees if they offset it by scaling back the Temporary Foreign Worker program.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-07-2015, 02:46 PM   #5
I subscribe to Revscene

At this point I cant tell if this is a humanitarian gesture across the world to easy what the ZioAmerican empire has done or they need to depopulate Syria to ramp up the war against Assad... specially with the numerous chemical attacks in Syria and Iraq.

For the unaware pop stars and our Mayor, why arent questions being raised about the Syrian doctor that was working for our Canadian spy agency and providing underage sex slaves and militants to ISIS?
*an update on this is one of the girls got married to a notorious ISIS guy called Ginger Jihadi... with his blonde hair.

The humanitarian thing to do is provide housing, even if we have to setup tents out in Mission. In reality Canada is a war criminal nation (also in Ukraine) and needs to pay reparations (compensation) in the hundreds of billions to these countries.
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-07-2015, 02:50 PM   #6
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Sure mayor moonbean can do what he wants. But he needs to make sure all the Syrian refugees stays in City of Vancouver and City of Vancouver is responsibility for their shelter, food, clothing, education cost, health care cost, transit cost. Basically they can only live in City of Vancouver, not in Burnaby, Surrey, Detla, Tri City etc etc.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-07-2015, 03:04 PM   #7
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
I'm 100% for bringing Syrian refugees to Canada but putting them in the most expensive city in Canada? thats ridiculous.
Old 09-07-2015, 03:24 PM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Of course we should take Syrian refugees!!!

Why bother making an effort to help Canadians suffering from mental illness (IE: 90% of east hastings homeless) when we could spend money saving people from the other side of the world that may or may not offer a net benefit to Canadians.

Nothing like being internationally shamed for a refugee crisis you had no part in.

Don't think I'm ignorant to what's happening in Syria, I'm just not ignorant to the reality that accepting refugees does nothing to address the cause of the issues.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-07-2015, 03:40 PM   #9
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
I'm 100% for bringing Syrian refugees to Canada but putting them in the most expensive city in Canada? thats ridiculous.
This.

You need to be making $172,000 a year to live in a Vancouver if you want to buy a house.

The poverty line for Vancouver was $20.10/hr couple years ago if you work 40hrs a week ($38,592/year) and I'm pretty sure it's probably $40,000 a year by now.

We have enough poverty problems in Canada, and how are we going to accept 20,000 people?
That's like 20,000 extra citizens instantly going on welfare.

If the Mayer of Vancouver wants this happen, hurry up and ask 20,000 mainlanders in Beijing and Shanghai to come to Canada asap, so that we can charge extra tax?

Maybe send them to up north somewhere cheap to live, they can do manual labour or whatever for living. They will still be much happier than living in a battle field where they could get murdered at any moment.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-07-2015, 03:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Sure mayor moonbean can do what he wants. But he needs to make sure all the Syrian refugees stays in City of Vancouver and City of Vancouver is responsibility for their shelter, food, clothing, education cost, health care cost, transit cost. Basically they can only live in City of Vancouver, not in Burnaby, Surrey, Detla, Tri City etc etc.
I hope refugees can get jobs right away. Otherwise they might get involved in crime and RCMP/VPD would have to spend more money putting them in jail. I don't even know if there's 20,000 instant job openings in Canada. Unemployment rate is skyrocketing in Canada.

I don't know if they can stay specifically in Vancouver? I mean.. Vancouver is already clouded. Although I don't think they can live in BC comfortably even if they go to other municipalities like Richmond, where bunch of Chinese kids driving Lamborghini, Maserati and Ferrari.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:10 PM   #11
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
Why bother making an effort to help Canadians suffering from mental illness (IE: 90% of east hastings homeless) when we could spend money saving people from the other side of the world that may or may not offer a net benefit to Canadians.
YES thank you.

I can't stand how all of the bleeding hearts come out of the woodwork whenever there's some kind of international crisis happening halfway across the world so they can bitch and moan about how Canada sucks by not helping out, but these same people can't be fucked to make a real change in their own community whether by volunteering, donating money, etc., to homeless shelters, soup kitchens, mental health organizations, and the like in order to fix the real issues impacting their lives and the lives of their neighbors.

We, as Canadians, need to fix our own country before we start helping other countries. It's like in those airline safety demonstrations... you need to make sure your oxygen mask is on before you start helping everyone around you.
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 04:18 PM   #12
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
As Canadians we used to pride ourselves for our humanitarian endevaours but it seems these days everyone is becoming more and more hateful/rude, wtf is happening?

We should totally be doing all we can to help those in need, especially in crisis situations like Syria, Gaza, Ukraine, Burma...
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 04:21 PM   #13
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
They are too far away to make it here anyways. The refugees coming to Greece etc have the clothes on their back and that's about it.

If he's actually suggesting using vancouvers/BC's resources to enable them to come here then that's just insane.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:41 PM   #14
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
he needs to make a new platform since his promise to end homelessness didn't quite pan out

Vancouver mayor says city?s ?warmer weather? to blame as he fails goal to end homelessness by 2015 | National Post
Vancouver backs away from goal of ending street homelessness by 2015 | Globalnews.ca

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 04:44 PM   #15
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Politician at his best. He knows this isn't going to happen; but he looks good while proposing the idea.

FU Robertson. Maybe you should start by offering up your house to the refugees, the homeless, the hippies, etc.
tonyzoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-07-2015, 04:53 PM   #16
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
One boy washed ashore and now there will be a whole gang of dumbfucks that will be cheering for taking all the refugees. Yes, the same type of racist fucks that are probably crying how refugees are ruining the country if it wasn't for that sad picture of the dead boy.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-07-2015, 04:58 PM   #17
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
Just like the Lion, if there hadn't been a picture of the boy, no one would have cared. How many children have drowned in the refugee crossings prior to this? Thousands?
Old 09-07-2015, 05:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyzoomzoom View Post
Politician at his best. He knows this isn't going to happen; but he looks good while proposing the idea.

FU Robertson. Maybe you should start by offering up your house to the refugees, the homeless, the hippies, etc.
OK if that's the case this is nothing but a typical publicity stunt done by politicians.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:22 PM   #19
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Why not put them in the housing projects in Guildford aka G-Town aka the Jungle in Surrey? Balkan, Iraqi, and African refugees have been calling it home for years and they all love eachother every day with most of the youth becoming good citizens.
Ball.J.Inder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:25 PM   #20
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
I hope refugees can get jobs right away. Otherwise they might get involved in crime and RCMP/VPD would have to spend more money putting them in jail. I don't even know if there's 20,000 instant job openings in Canada. Unemployment rate is skyrocketing in Canada.

I don't know if they can stay specifically in Vancouver? I mean.. Vancouver is already clouded. Although I don't think they can live in BC comfortably even if they go to other municipalities like Richmond, where bunch of Chinese kids driving Lamborghini, Maserati and Ferrari.
Why City of Vancouver? Coz Mayor Moonbean's idea. Not City of Burnaby, City of Surrey, City of Detla. So City Vancouver should house them, provide for the, and take care of them. Other cities didn't volunteer why should they get drag into it.

I am not against helping but when our own citizens needs more, maybe we should be spending on CANADIANS first? Is not just East hastings, everything have been cut back IE health care, education, retire homes, retire care, emergency respone team. What good does it good to bring more people in with 95% on them being on welfare while cutting back on funding to these services.

We need to strength our own country first, take care of our own people then start helping others. It doesn't do anyone good if these people can't find jobs and on welfare but we don't have enough. Most likely they will turn to crime in order to feed themselves and their family.

Also there could be terrorists among them which not only cost national security but our lives as well. Image they set a bomb in Metrotown during Sat even. How many people will die or when we celebrate in DT Vancouver for specials likes Fireworks, Canada Day etc etc.........
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:30 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball.J.Inder View Post
Why not put them in the housing projects in Guildford aka G-Town aka the Jungle in Surrey? Balkan, Iraqi, and African refugees have been calling it home for years and they all love eachother every day with most of the youth becoming good citizens.
Robertson is one that is proposing this idea. It has nothing to do with Surrey. His only hope would be to increase property tax in Vancouver in order for him to accept 20,000 people. I don't know how he can find 20,000 housing in Vancouver though?
Old 09-07-2015, 06:01 PM   #22
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball.J.Inder View Post
I love the sarcasm haha.
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-07-2015, 06:30 PM   #23
GS8

Thanked 7,257 Times in 1,966 Posts
Fuck this Diva Cup of a Mayor....

You know, I've been following the migrant crisis in Italy for some time. It's an ongoing issue where over 2000 have died this year while crossing the Mediterranean. Greece and Italy feeling the brunt of it with the waves of boats that would constantly come ashore.

However it was nothing more than a headline on our shores with MAYBE one 'expert' talking BS as filler.

BUT the moment there's a Syrian and a Canadian connection, BOOM, all media breaks loose and now it becomes drilled in our heads how shitty we are as a Country blah blah Harper's fault, blah blah Fin Donnelly...

Using Refugees as the SJW 'cause of the month' is so beyond the realm of stupidity, I feel the need to ram my head against a cinder block fence just to try and understand.

Airheaded fucks seem to be under the impression that Canada is a utopia. Uh, no it's not. We have our own issues. Take a walk downtown, you'll see. Go out into the suburbs, you'll see. Go up North you'll see. Go 3 provinces over, you'll see. We have our own shit to deal with.

I'm not trying to making light of the refugees plight, it really is a shitty situation to be born into but it's just not feasible to help EVERY country's citizens just because they ask for it. If every nation got along nicely, everyone would be enjoying a higher standard of life but that's not how competition works, sorry to say. It's just goes against human nature.

It's heartbreaking to know you can't help everyone but in life, you have to be logical to survive. Emotion should always take the backseat.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:41 PM   #24
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
None of these politicians, here and aboard, want to address the massive security threat of allowing thousands of refugees into this country without the proper security screening.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:01 PM   #25

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
WHAT????? mayor bike lane is still in office....................seriously the ppl of vancouver should stop smoking weed right before election time, as this is totally effecting your judgement in voting

on a serious note: doesnt vancouver already enough problems, dont think they need to open up another can of worms

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote