REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-03-2015, 01:59 AM   #26
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

That's what you get for driving a car that every c-lai in Richmond drives.

Advertisement
Old 11-03-2015, 07:13 AM   #27
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGN23 View Post
Yes, and you will pay more for the coupe over the sedan.
Yes mine is a coupe
PC69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:28 AM   #28
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Does ICBC publish or make public their list of cars and which rate category they are classified in? If not, I think it's only fair and proper that they make that public knowledge.
2008 Mercedes C300
2012 Ford F-150 XLT
2014 Ford F-150 FX4 - Current
1999 Chevy Trailblazer
2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
2015 Honda Civic Coupe EX-L
2018 Honda HR-V Touring
2019 Audi A4 Technik - Current
2012 Porsche 911 Targa 4 - Current

1995 Kawasaki ZX-6R
2005 Yamaha R6 - RIP
2006 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary Edition - Current

IG: G_SPYDER91
604STIG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-03-2015, 09:20 AM   #29
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 604STIG View Post
Does ICBC publish or make public their list of cars and which rate category they are classified in? If not, I think it's only fair and proper that they make that public knowledge.
There's no public data base per say, but if your nice most agents will provide you quotes.

PS. trollguy hates women

Last edited by Expresso; 11-09-2015 at 10:19 AM.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-03-2015, 11:49 AM   #30
2-Wheelin' Mod

ICBC is an insurance provider. They determine rates for individual products based on historical frequency and severity data. To remain efficient they must continually analyze trending data (claim frequency and claim severity) to construct rates that are appropriate to the market.

It always stings when you see an increase in rates but don't take it personally. The rates are dictated by the data that ICBC has compiled based on claim history for that particular policy.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:52 AM   #31
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru View Post
Slightly similar, but did anyone else notice that their comprehensive coverage $2m Liability went up by about 25%-30% or is it just me??
Car is 2000 corolla
I have 3M liability and it went up from $182 to $239. So it's around 30%
Old 11-03-2015, 11:54 AM   #32
I am Hook'd on RS

My rate group changed from 24 to 26. Any idea what they are?
Old 11-03-2015, 11:59 AM   #33
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,817 Times in 3,901 Posts
2600/yr doesn't sound too ridiculous in icbc standards even with your discount if you consider the type of vehicle you drive.

but man as a 30% hike that's gotta hurt...i'm wondering if it's because they've been calculating it wrong in the previous years.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:02 PM   #34
private modder

Thanked 2,646 Times in 740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfighter View Post
ICBC is an insurance provider. They determine rates for individual products based on historical frequency and severity data. To remain efficient they must continually analyze trending data (claim frequency and claim severity) to construct rates that are appropriate to the market.

It always stings when you see an increase in rates but don't take it personally. The rates are dictated by the data that ICBC has compiled based on claim history for that particular policy.
yeah okay, mr ICBC spokesperson, but 30% in one year is way more than anyone should have to take just because that's the way it is as a "insurance provider" to "remain efficient". these kind of replies do nothing but show how out of touch corporations are with how to treat customers well. if ICBC raised the premium by 5 or even 7% over a few years and sent a letter with an explanation, this thread would have a completely different meaning.

I bet if the OP files an official complaint with the ICBC ombudsman, he'd have a relatively decent shot of getting this decision reviewed and adjusted to a be a more gradual increase over time. it boggles my mind how can ICBC say they are big believers in customer service when they pull bureaucratic stunts like this.

Fairness commissioner
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-03-2015, 12:18 PM   #35
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
yeah okay, mr ICBC spokesperson, but 30% in one year is way more than anyone should have to take just because that's the way it is as a "insurance provider" to "remain efficient". these kind of replies do nothing but show how out of touch corporations are with how to treat customers well. if ICBC raised the premium by 5 or even 7% over a few years and sent a letter with an explanation, this thread would have a completely different meaning.

I bet if the OP files an official complaint with the ICBC ombudsman, he'd have a relatively decent shot of getting this decision reviewed and adjusted to a be a more gradual increase over time. it boggles my mind how can ICBC say they are big believers in customer service when they pull bureaucratic stunts like this.

Fairness commissioner
That was a bit unfair. He provided a reasonable and logical analysis of why this hike might have happened. He didn't downplay it or belittle the OP at all, and he did not try and justify it.

The regular increase for everyone this year is 6.5% if I am not mistaken, so OP really is only like 20% above that. Again as a car gets older and becomes a little cheaper the average age of buyers tends to decrease, especially with something like an E550. Thats when you start to get younger people owning them and historically the insurance groups starts to climb a bit because these younger less mature owners tend to cause more accidents in these vehicles.

That's the reality of it. We aren't justifying it, and you are right ICBC should do a better job of dealing this blow over a longer period of time, and a little communication with them, and they may even be able to do something for the OP, or maybe realize there was an error made.

Also many people in this thread have pointed out that the value of the car has decreased and because of that insurance should get cheaper. Well that's a little misguided. The value of the car accounts for a very small chunk of a settlement in the event of many serious accidents. I mean a 2012 e550 is what like 50k?

Well if someone loses a limb, or god forbid someone is killed in an accident ICBC is on the hook for MILLIONS with regards to injury claims. The value of the car is the least of their worries.

As I said before insurance is not based on magic or wizardry, its based on hard figures, probabilities, and proven mathematical and statistical analysis. Sometimes outliers and anomalies can cause errors or oversights within the rates, best thing you can do is call your broker and explain the situation and ask for them to have a second look at it or provide an explanation.

Until the OP has that conversation with either his broker or someone at ICBC, the we really have nothing else to provide to him, except to pat him on the back and say "there, there, everything is going to be okay".

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-03-2015, 12:30 PM   #36
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Although it's not impossible to change vehicle class, but have you moved by any chance?

Different area can affect your premium too.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:07 PM   #37
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Just renewed my insurance today for my 2011 335xi.

The basic insurance rate went up as expected.

My third party liability went up, as well as my collision and comprehensive as ICBC moved my rate group up by 1 for both. (Previously Collision was rate group 22 now 23, and comprehensive was rate group 25 and it is now 26.)

Close to 400 dollar increase for my yearly insurance.

I'm guessing there is a lot more vehicles that moved rate classes.
AndroidAAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 04:27 PM   #38
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,907 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urrtoast View Post
So what Icbc is saying is the majority of MB E550 drivers are bad drivers and crash alot.
I bet alot of them have L or N or C stickers as well.

lol
Or that they're a high theft risk. OP may not have moved but if theft/vandalism in his area has gone up or his model of car has started getting stolen a lot more then ICBC will increase the rates.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:11 AM   #39
2-Wheelin' Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
Hi Eff-1 ... I'm actually a little confused. I don't work for ICBC nor do I have any emotional or financial connection to that organization other than that my bike is insured through them. You indicate that my replies "do nothing but show how out of touch corporations are" (implying ICBC). You infer that I am officially speaking on their behalf but I am not an ICBC employee or spokesperson.

It sounds like the OP made an effort to understand the rate hike and actually spoke to ICBC. It's very possible that in relative terms the policy for his car was below market in relation to similar vehicles prior to this year and in combination with recent claims history on similar policies ICBC recognized the need to increase the associated rates for the renewal period. It's always very tough, of course, but not out of context with the greater insurance world (take a peak into commercial property insurance, transport insurance, strata insurance, etc.). Significant rate hikes can happen quickly and unexpectedly. Insurance companies simply react to claims data.

In 2008 I moved to the Lower Mainland and went to insure my 2004 WRX STi here. The rates increased almost 40%. Claim history on that policy-type was obviously very different here than where I was previously and the policy rates reflected that. I chose to pay the rates although alternatively I could have simply sold the vehicle, which was certainly a consideration at that time.

At no point did I take a personal dig at the OP nor emotionally defend ICBC but I'll say that communicating individual, personal policy rate changes to millions of individual policy-holders probably isn't a logistically easy thing to do - but they seem content to offer an explanation if people actually contact them.

What you suggest (layering incremental rate changes over 2 - 3 years to finally achieve the desired total increase) is termed rate smoothing. The challenge is that it can be detrimental to the policy provider because ongoing claims history during the smoothing process can compound or distort the end-rate. It also creates budgetary and accounting complexities.

Ultimately - nobody guarantees insurance rates for any type of product (home, vehicle, warehouse, health) and outside forces that we cannot personally control will often impact what we personally are required to pay. That's the risk of owning any product, property or business - it can be difficult to budget for this type of expense/cost. You can minimize this risk by scaling back your exposure to damages. IE ~ I know that my exposure to risk is less owning a 2010 Honda Civic than a 2010 Range Rover. Thus my policy rates should (in theory) be lower because a claim on the later is likely to have a much greater severity (dollar cost) than on a the former.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:42 AM   #40
My homepage has been set to RS

traded in my 2010 rx8 was paying 145 a month now went to 2016 wrx now paying 211 with replacement insurance for the first 3 years....does that seem on the high side to you guys or just standard screw job lol
Nabatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:17 AM   #41
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabatron View Post
traded in my 2010 rx8 was paying 145 a month now went to 2016 wrx now paying 211 with replacement insurance for the first 3 years....does that seem on the high side to you guys or just standard screw job lol
You went from a $15,000 car to a $30,000 and you wonder why your insurance costs 50% more?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-07-2015, 05:35 PM   #42
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
My 2006 BMW 3-series was $11xx for the year, about $200/year less than the 2002 Honda Civic I had at the start of the year. Same coverage on both (to & from work over 15 km, collision, comprehensive, $2M liability).
from your sig, you are on the island. my 2002 Civic SIR is currently under 900 with 2M/ Coll/ Comp. but i do have 43%. also in vic
oldsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:59 AM   #43
I am Hook'd on RS

Got an official email reply from ICBC and it is the standard insurance company line "insurance rate is based on blah blah blah...".

I remembered ICBC originally asked for 6.7% increase but was rejected by the government. Is ICBC trying to recover the difference by shifting the insurance cost to more expensive cars? I am just not buying there were suddenly more accidents and thefts with MB to justify a 30% increase in a year.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:40 AM   #44
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
I don't think you will ever get an explanation that will please you. Try a 3rd party insurer or drive another car.

PS. trollguy loves bootcut jeans

Last edited by Expresso; 11-09-2015 at 10:20 AM.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-09-2015, 12:23 PM   #45
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsnail View Post
from your sig, you are on the island. my 2002 Civic SIR is currently under 900 with 2M/ Coll/ Comp. but i do have 43%. also in vic
Yeah, I'm also at 43%. 16 years, no claims. Was a base model Civic coupe

Last edited by Jmac; 11-09-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 01:12 PM   #46
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
30%.. That's a huge fucking increase, and I'd say that's pretty unreasonable, especially if it's just because other people fucked up the same car.

How it is your fault that abunch of people fucked up the same car, it's not the cars fault the drivers are retarded.
Your insurance premiums pay for operational and claim costs. That's pretty much it. Claim costs are directly tied to premiums.What did you think you were paying for?

OP, that still seems high. What line of coverage had the increase?
One month later:
Quote:
Originally Posted by z-33 View Post
THE GUY IN THE RED SHIRT throwing the newspaper stand into the window IS INDY BHANGU FROM SURREY.
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 03:51 PM   #47
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_tec View Post
OP,
Is it true ICBC no longer accept credit cards starting Nov 1?
To clarify this; as of November 1 you can no longer pre-pay any amount on/towards the monthly payment plan with a credit card.

** You can still pay default or missed/NSF payments with a credit card.

(I'm an insurance agent )
jdmfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 04:05 PM   #48
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Every car I've had always falls into the same price, differ usually by 1-2 dollars a month? Most expensive rate I got was for the cheapest car I had which was strange. Full coverage always.

Its probably my fault.
rriggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:13 AM   #49
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

My 2002 civic went from $110 a month to $126 a month, almost a 15% increase. Seems like ICBC is screwing everyone. I thought they had to get it approved before a board or something before they can do a rate increase?
und3f3at3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:54 PM   #50
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabatron View Post
I remember the first 3 years of when i bought my car the insurance was really high because of the replacement insurance. Also the rx8 is technically a 4 door car so it isn't considered a coupe so the rates aren't as bad.
Adorkami is offline   Reply With Quote