REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-28-2018, 08:12 AM   #2526
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
With what there selling for these days I’m thinking more and more of unloading my R for a CTR. Fits my lifestyle more with a family. It’s the fear of massive sellers remorse that’s stopping me. The ITR is special in a way the CTR will never be but the CTR is so much more car then the ITR will ever be. Any Type R fathers wanna chime in?

you'll regret it in a bit after unloading it and the feeling of the DC2 cannot be replaced

if you have the room to store and don't need the money i'd say keep it.
Advertisement

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:16 AM   #2527
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Quote:
Any Type R fathers wanna chime in?
It's all nostalgia for me which makes it's near impossible to want to sell. I'm still enjoying ownership, collecting OEM parts, addressing items here and there, etc. I'd only sell if I did not have secure indoor storage or if it had to be my primary vehicle. Any worthy replacement would be more expensive than even the most expensive ITR nowadays so selling to achieve a "better" car is still far off financially for me.

If your car just sits and your "over it" then no harm in capitalizing on the premium prices. I was completely over my built ITR and I have zero regrets selling it.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2018, 08:21 AM   #2528
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Quote:
With what there selling for these days I’m thinking more and more of unloading my R for a CTR. Fits my lifestyle more with a family. It’s the fear of massive sellers remorse that’s stopping me. The ITR is special in a way the CTR will never be but the CTR is so much more car then the ITR will ever be. Any Type R fathers wanna chime in?
I dont own an ITR
But i own an SiR since new.

my wife approves it because it doesnt compromise anyfunctionality.
that means, we are driving it more often now.

I havent put my SiR on sale yet because owned it since new... and it has relatively low kms. so we got rid of the family MDX to keep both civic's lol. and they can fit car seats fine
oldsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2018, 08:38 AM   #2529
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:
kids are overrated

don't do it. you'll end up like me punishing myself watching prices skyrocket and shed a tear every time i see one on the road

be like my friend. a wife, 2.5 kids and a minivan, but the itr he bought brand new in 1997 is buried deep under boxes, etc. in his garage and the rear wing is being used as a shoe rack. i've made offers in the past to relieve him of it but he swears he's going to be buried in the thing when he kicks the can.

practical = boring.
impractical = best car ever!
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 06-28-2018 at 12:36 PM.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2018, 08:55 AM   #2530
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
I dealt with Adam before. I bought two sets of Eibach springs for my FK8 off him. He was selling them on a FK8 Facebook group, he had legit photos of his own FK8 so I took the risk and EMT'd a stranger I never met. A few hours later he drops it off at my work place.

He also sells the Canadian "VTEC TURBO" sticker to Americans as well, and I've seen lots of people having good experiences and vouch for him.

Smooth transaction, quick response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
Thought about it for 5-10 minutes, there are a number of issues:

1 - It's not yellow
2 - I can't live with another b-series powered Honda, would prefer to buy something that isn't all original and low KM
3 - Rumor has it that the car is from out East and may have accident history
4 - Searching sellers phone number revealed some negative feedback from DSM forums

Surrey B.C car enthusiasts BEWARE - Club DSM Canada

HID King - The ultimate source for HID Lighting, headlights and accessories - Xenon Headlights,

Beyond all that, the sales tactic of "It's up for one week or I'll keep it" tells me the seller is looking for an emotional "panic" buyer that will disregard due-diligence in favor of ensuring the car does not slip away.
As for replacing your toy with a FK8, I currently have my AP2 which I rarely get to enjoy, as well as the FK8 and my Audi S3. S3 being my daily. I couldn't bring myself to sell the AP2 but I have been often contemplating that because I have that constant worry that someone will hit it or something. While it is absolutely useless in practicality as well.

I've said it before but if you are forced to have one car to do it all, get the damn FK8. It fits everything, goes like hell, sips fuel.

Last edited by swfk; 06-28-2018 at 09:04 AM.
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2018, 02:19 PM   #2531
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
A friend of mine recently bought an FK8 and I got to spend some time in both cars. He was on his way to buy a new Honda Accord 2.0T 6spd manual and this CW was available because the owner backed out. If you are on here Mike.. great choice! I have had some time to gather my thoughts. I also had my stock wheels back on for maximum nostalgia.

The FK8 has better brakes, shifting, power, seats, interior, full back seats, and tech. The exhaust sound is quiet so you don't disturb your neighbor's or sleeping kids. An exhaust could fix this. There is no VTEC kick.

The ITR is going on 22 years since the 96 was introduced. Performance wise it has aged very well and is still a blast to drive. Just don't try to highway run anything but a Versa. The ITR is gaining respect in the collector and enthusiast world despite being FWD. The simple yet well laid out interior, smooth shifting, the hard hit of VTEC all the way to redline. And of course the sounds! Driving the ITR is an assault on the senses. I never turn the radio on and prefer windows down. That is what makes it fun.

Like swfk says the CTR is certainly the better "do everything car" compared to the ITR. At least 2 current ITR owners are currently selling on craiglist because they have a new CTR.

For me I could not give up my ITR for a CTR. But certainly I would like to add a CTR to the garage. Along with a host of other cars lol

Iron Chef: I am a father of two (4 and 1.5 yrs) and have a baby seat in the back when not racing. I have a work vehicle and a 13 CRV family hauler so at this point ITR suits my needs as a third car. When the pick up/drop off happens more in the future that may change.

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818

Last edited by TouringTeg; 06-28-2018 at 02:29 PM.
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:25 PM   #2532
Witness protection

jeezus the civic is like a schoolbus next to the dc2r...
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2018, 02:36 PM   #2533
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
jeezus the civic is like a schoolbus next to the dc2r...
I think the hood on the CTR is at least 8" taller than the ITR both with stock suspension.

Btw I hope your 97 ITR friend has a high quality car cover protecting it! I looked at a Boxster with a friend last year. It was covered by a blue tarp in the winter and was covered in scratches.

Old 06-28-2018, 03:58 PM   #2534
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringTeg View Post
I think the hood on the CTR is at least 8" taller than the ITR both with stock suspension.

Btw I hope your 97 ITR friend has a high quality car cover protecting it! I looked at a Boxster with a friend last year. It was covered by a blue tarp in the winter and was covered in scratches.
actually, just lots of quilted blankets. probably a good thing considering how much stuff is piled on it. i joke that his family must be cold while the itr is toasty.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2018, 06:15 PM   #2535
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

The FK8 is seriously the most exciting Honda I have seen in a long time. I don't drive my ITR very much but every time I do, it makes me reconsider selling it. However the FK8 is really interesting!
freelunch is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2018, 06:58 PM   #2536
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringTeg View Post

tEXT Me and i will come to these pop up meets
oldsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2018, 07:02 PM   #2537
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
iron chef, if I remember correctly you've kept your cars for a long ass time...don't you also have a civic from you were 16 or something?

tbh if you even have the faintest worry that you'll regret it, just keep it
you never know where the prices may go, if you let it go you may not find a clean one again without paying drastically more

how many times have we read the omg i'll be buying back that s2000 one day sad face posts around here?

cheers
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-29-2018, 03:27 AM   #2538
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,104 Times in 974 Posts
Old 06-29-2018, 05:12 AM   #2539
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanks for al the reply’s.

The only reason this question ever comes up is the rising value of the ITR. For me my R is my summer vehicle. But on sunny days I prefer to commute by scooter , on my weekend I use my family car so in a week I might take it out for a cruise maybe once a week if I have the time. I got storage for it and I don’t need the money but it would be nice to simplify my life and trade 2 cars for one that will do everything. Between my civic and R I have 2 cars that don’t really fit my lifestyle anymore. The joys of adulting and choosing between what your heart wants and what your brain wants.
Iron Chef is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-29-2018, 07:35 AM   #2540
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Depends if you're all about driving it or all about owning it. I enjoy ITR ownership and I like to be on this side of the fence while prices increase. It doesn't bother me if I don't drive for weeks on end, just the availability to drive it is all I need. Since tracking a stock one and then eventually a built one, I have no desire to track the one I have now. It's for meets with friends, cruises in the summer time and to sit in the garage while I stare at it.

Know that prices will continue to increase, there's is no market fall out with these cars. Whatever you sell for today you will pay more for another in the future.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-29-2018, 08:01 AM   #2541
I bringith the lowerballerith

Between the ITR and CTR, the ITR will outlive the CTR. The amount of parts and engines to keep it going are endless. Its all mechanical, easy to work on. Its like a energizer bunny, it just keeps on going and going and going.
teggy604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-29-2018, 09:46 AM   #2542
RS Veteran

It is hard to put a price on reliability and dependability. Easy to work on and parts availability is pretty good despite 20yrs +

I am watching the end of the BAT 97 ITR original owner 58k mile auction:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ntegra-type-r/

Edit: Sold for $40,750 USD plus fees. Around $43k USD

Last edited by TouringTeg; 06-29-2018 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:04 AM   #2543

$53,000 cad for an itr, wo
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:59 PM   #2544
RS Veteran

Now a black one from Sterling 2000 fbp 33k miles

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...gra-type-r-15/

Old 06-29-2018, 08:41 PM   #2545

looks like a very anal seller which speaks volume about the ownership

This post thanked by:
Old 06-29-2018, 09:00 PM   #2546
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

yes i agree, new CTR might be the next best honda but would it be legendary as dc2r?!? in 20 years time,

or we could just buy the new type r engine maybe try to fit it in a dc2 shell hahaha about 7k eh

https://jalopnik.com/honda-has-a-306...r-i-1819975856
OEMSiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:27 PM   #2547
My homepage has been set to RS

I think I like owning it and driving it. My car is clean in that it’s 2 owner, low km and clean title, but it’s not clean enough where I feel bad for thrashing it. I love that I can romp on it at the track and it takes it and ask for more. I love that the cost of ownership is so low that I don’t feel bad for any part I break. Apart from theft there are no negative ownership experiences. I feel so strongly about how solid this vehicle is I signed up for ITR Expo 18 , so road trip to Cali then a track day.

The joy is in the drive and I feel I would drive a CTR more.
Iron Chef is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-29-2018, 09:59 PM   #2548

doesn't the FK8 have overheating issues on track?
Old 06-29-2018, 11:18 PM   #2549
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
I've heard it's quite random and there's no definitive fix for it yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:29 AM   #2550

Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
Yes there are cooling issues, just like any turbo car on a track driven hard. I can get 4-5 hot laps in the afternoon until I see my coolant temp climbing. Ease off half a lap and it goes back down.
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote