REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-04-2015, 11:22 AM   #1
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Looking to buy an Acura MDX or RDX

Hi All, I want to get an Acura MDX or RDX or Lexus RX350 very soon and was wondering if you have anyone that you can refer me to with who provided good service when you dealt with them.

My car is too small for 2 kids right now

Any help would be recommended, thanks in advance !
Advertisement
tru_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:27 AM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,502 Times in 1,160 Posts
If you're talking about 1st generation RDX, I would stay away from it.

I was initially in the market for one until I test drove one at a Honda dealership.

I found the acceleration and the suspension to be very choppy.

And don't expect fuel economy to be great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2015, 11:33 AM   #3
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
I'd say go for the RX350? The new gen is coming out and it looks very nice.

I have my salesman at Richmond Acura if you want (pm me). He's very straight forward when my company got the TLX. There was a promo from Acura and he gave us right after mentioning it to him (even made the offer better so our lease payment stay under a certain number). By contrast, Burrard Acura only offered it after going back and forth several times (they found all sort of excuse to not offer it to us).
Old 11-04-2015, 11:45 AM   #4
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRNammer View Post
If you're talking about 1st generation RDX, I would stay away from it.

I was initially in the market for one until I test drove one at a Honda dealership.

I found the acceleration and the suspension to be very choppy.

And don't expect fuel economy to be great.
Would agree with this my fiancé's mom has one and the ride is "sporty"
the seats aren't that comfortable as well I'm 5'11 it was hard for me to find a good comfortable seating position with out hitting my knee on the centre console.
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2015, 12:09 PM   #5

forgot to add: i'm looking for the 2016 or 2015 models only
Old 11-04-2015, 01:57 PM   #6
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I got my 2015 MDX last September from Lougheed Acura from Gurp. Best price and service out of all of them (went to Burrard and Richmond too). I'd say haggling was the most difficult at Burrard by far.

[Edit] I know this is the largest of the cars you're looking at but for what it's worth, I have no kids yet. However I have carried my niece around in this vehicle a ton and I think I would seriously consider a minivan when I have kids... Bring your stroller and make sure it fits in the back with the seats up.
aznkev03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:42 PM   #7

Depending on your budget. The Rdx is much cheaper than the mdx and the Lexus.
I have the 2014 Rdx. It's for the wife and baby. I don't know how old your kids are, but after we put the baby seat in the middle, it get crammed for other passengers. The mdx has much more room.
But if it just you wife and two kids, with a tight budget the Rdx is pretty decent. Good enough for the wife anyways. But if u need more room the mdx is much roomier
kkttsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 06:59 PM   #8
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
if you are sticking with two kids i would stay with the RDX. my parents have the MDX and being a 7 passenger it's on the big side. parking it in richmond can be a bitch. even though you somehow manage to fit it in a parking stall dosen't necessarily mean you can open the doors

they used to have an lexus rx. they wanted to upgrade to an rx350 but were disappointed in the vehicle overall compared to the MDX and how the options were priced and packaged. also acura before this time year end they offer heavy rebates on both the MDX and RDX... i'm not sure if it's still in effect.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:29 AM   #9

thanks for all the advises, anyone in the same boat as me and looking to get into an RDX or MDX very soon also?
Old 11-09-2015, 11:46 AM   #10
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

I prefer the Acura MDX since it looks more aggressive
Jtseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 01:46 PM   #11
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,907 Times in 754 Posts
RDX stuff:

2015 RDX TECH - now somewhat dated but huge rebates and deals are available on 2013-2015. smooth ride... V6 is good powerplant.. .for daily driving on mixed hwy/city expect 12.2 L/100km. small gas tank 60L ... seems to run fine on either regular or premium. the 2013-2015 don't even have LED tail lights or brakes..sheesh. terrible Bluetooth / Hands free operation...navigation cannot be utilized while vehicle is in motion. common issue on this model is bad struts ....typically replaced under warranty.

2016 RDX TECH ADVANCE - more futuristic, funky looking design on the exterior. cool ass LEDs front and rear...super nice and white jewel eye headlights which are superior to HIDs. improved navigation with 3D view rather than top down on the previous model. slightly more HP than the previous model. tons of safety tech: lane assist, blind spot monitoring, collision mitigation, lane departure

both models above have cylinder management...the RDX goes down to either 3 or 4 cylinders when not under load or highway cruising... you will get 500km to a full tank if driven with flow of traffic. the rdx is a pretty smooth ride but I wouldn't label it as sporty.

if you're just a couple with 1 or 2 kids, get the RDX.

MDX is gorgeous...but a 7 seater that size is huge...the gas tank is close to a 75L capacity...and needs premium only. of course its a lot more money...and I think a minor refresh is coming up.

anyways good luck.
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2015, 02:27 PM   #12
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Go all out and get a Sienna.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-09-2015, 02:36 PM   #13
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I prefer the RDX simply due to styling and the drive. Much tighter and agile than the MDX due to the size difference. The interior I feel very comfortable with overall.

On the roads you definitely don't get the presence of the MDX but I also feel like I'm actually driving within my lane in the RDX. Maybe I'm just not used to driving the MDX or such a large vehicle.
jaemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:42 PM   #14
I'm better than you.

Thanked 3,087 Times in 658 Posts
Or get a sequoia

'14 Toyota Yaris [Work Daily]
'89 Toyota Cressida MX83 [Collector's status]
'15 Honda Ruckus [Summer cruiser]
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 [Weekend Warrior]

Buy & Sell Ratings!
b0unce. [?] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:20 PM   #15
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Get a minivan.

I have 2 kids, and trust me. You'll need trunk space AND if you need to haul extra people around, the people in the 3rd row won't be cramped.
i don't think i ever played a game as a kid where you punch each other in the dick.
J-Chow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:45 PM   #16
VLS Head Mod

I haven't driven the MDX or RDX but since I work at Lexus I've driven the RX350 and loved it!
Mind you it's been the FSport, but I just love how the stock system pumps bass, and you are given a smooth luxurious ride
No I'm not in sales either and just trying to get a sale lol.
REMEMBER:-->RS is a place for car enthusiasts to come and get together because of their intrest and love for cars. Hating is not an option-take your immaturity elsewhere!

----///-\\\----Put This
---|||---|||---On Your
---|||---|||---profile If
---|||---|||---You Know
----\\\-///----Someone
-----\\///-----Who has died
------///\-----Of
-----///\\\----Cancer
----///--\\\-----Or whom maybe suffering from it
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:46 PM   #17
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Lexus now?!?!? last I heard you were at Ford

you certainly get around don't you
(sorry, I just had to say it )
StanleyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:03 AM   #18
RS controls my life!

i own a 2013 rdx w/tech package. here is my long term owners review.

usage is 90% city. i'm getting 12.3 l/100km. i did something like 8.7 on a trip to seattle and back. the ride is good. i don't feel like i'm driving a boat but i don't feel like i'm driving a sports car either. the engine produces very good power. the power come on smooth and throughout the power band unlike the turbo predecessors. passing maneuvers are cake. transmission isn't the smoothest but i don't have a lot to compare to. my other vehicle is an f150 and i find it much smother downshifting down hills and approaching intersection but that could also be related to the mass of the vehicles. the dual clutch transmissions out there are so much smoother and faster(ford escape).

i wish the rear seats folded completely flat like in the crv. it was something i didn't think would affect much and it hasn't but on the few occasions where i'm loading something long like ikea furniture flat would be better.

the BIGGEST complaint i have about the rdx and something that has driven me nuts over the last couple years is the nav system... you can not operate the navigation system while the vehicle is moving... for example if your driving to seattle along the i5 and you decide you want to stop to get food. you feel like red robins. you have to pull over, stop and then search for red robbins or enter the address. this is the case even with a passenger in the car. so fucking annoying. now i basically bring my garmin instead of using the built in nav. i have no idea if this is still the case with new models or not but it's fucking annoying.

other then that it has been very reliable. no issues so far. seats are great. the tilt rear mirrors are nice for parking. i still enjoy driving it very much and i never felt i needed the size of a larger suv (plus i have a truck)

if there are any specific question you can pm me.
jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-14-2015, 07:35 PM   #19
Witness protection

i don't know if this is a priority, but pay attention to what kind of awd system each brand uses. at the time my parents chose their mdx, acura's sh-awd system was one of the best at the time. i remember watching youtube videos
of side by side comparisons and acura's setup did better than the others in most cases. but that was a few years ago and things have changed so it may not apply in today's market?
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
Old 11-15-2015, 10:06 AM   #20
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

The rx350 actually takes regular gas, so factor that in your decision.
extracrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:07 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
i don't know if this is a priority, but pay attention to what kind of awd system each brand uses. at the time my parents chose their mdx, acura's sh-awd system was one of the best at the time. i remember watching youtube videos https://youtu.be/FJZxVefta68 of side by side comparisons and acura's setup did better than the others in most cases. but that was a few years ago and things have changed so it may not apply in today's market?
IMO, nothing beats a Subaru in 4wd. Unfortunately in those test, tires play a huge role and if they want a non biased test, they should equip all the vehicles with the same tires.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:10 AM   #22
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by extracrunchie View Post
IMO, nothing beats a Subaru in 4wd.
but sadly, the tribeca underperforms as an option in this category. i'm not even sure if it's still in production.

Last edited by thumper; 11-15-2015 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:12 AM   #23
Witness protection

Quote:
The rx350 actually takes regular gas, so factor that in your decision.
from what little i know, the current MDX says recommended, but not required to run premium. something to do with the new 3.5L having direct injection and cylinder deactivation.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:12 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
but sadly, the tribeca underperforms in this category. i'm not even sure if it's still in production.
That and the tribeca is butt ugly lol.

^^^ RX350 recommended fuel is Regular but Acura's are recommending Premium but you could put regular.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:56 PM   #25
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,179 Times in 354 Posts
Quote:
IMO, nothing beats a Subaru in 4wd. Unfortunately in those test, tires play a huge role and if they want a non biased test, they should equip all the vehicles with the same tires.
Actually, a lot of things can beat a Subaru in 4WD. Let's break it down to shifting power from front to rear, and from left to right. We'll see in a bit why the left-right shift is extremely important.

Transferring power between left and right wheels
Why is this important??
Most AWD systems have open differentials at the front and rear axles. This transmits power to through the path of least resistance - in other words, to the wheel that is already spinning.

In a worst case scenario where you're stuck, the additional axle with power won't be able to save you when there is a wheel on each axle with limited/no grip (on ice/snow/in the air).

Better systems will use the brakes to generate resistance in order to shift power to the other wheel. This reduces the torque available to actually move the car forward. In some scenarios, this means that you won't have enough torque left to get unstuck.

One thing that I've noticed is that a lot of older systems (-2000) offered locking front/rear differentials, and a lot of car based systems (2000-2010) with open differentials do not have brake based L/R transfer, as this relied on stability control.

Example: Left wheels in both front and rear axles have no grip.

Implementations
Acura: Differential based system on BOTH axles. Able to transfer 100% of power to either left/right wheels.
Audi (TRANSVERSE Haldex based systems in A4+ models): Brake based system.
Audi (Longitudinal Torsen based systems in S/RS models): Electronic locking differentials [either open or 50/50 L/R]/LSD ("Sport Differential") available.
BMW xDrive: Brake based system. No LSDs except for in M models.
Mercedes: Brake based system.
Subaru: Open differentials front and back. Brake based system
Subaru WRX/STI: LSD on rear axles.

Transferring power between front and rear axles
Subaru (manual transmission):
Viscous coupling where different front/rear axle speeds generates pressure and locks up.
Audi A3s, Volkswagens, and Volvo also use this system.

PROBLEM: Since this depends on rotational speed, tire sizes must be kept constant, making repair costs for punctures/vandalism quite high.
If the difference in pressure is too great, there would be damage. Also can't lockup.

Subaru (auto/CVT transmission):
Electronically controlled clutch engages to transfer power to the rear wheels. No center diff.
Shifts power between 60:40 and 50:50.
BMW xDrive is similar.

PROBLEM: In some systems (most notably Honda's implementation), the clutch cannot sustain prolonged or significant amounts of torque.

Acura SH-AWD
There are a couple different versions, but let's look at the simplest (1st gen RDX/2nd gen MDXs, and last gen TL). The RL adds extra overdrive capability for more of a RWD feel.
2 differentials with planetary gearsets AND clutches in both front AND rear axles - the planetary gearsets reduce load on the clutches. 2015+ MDXs only have clutches in the front/rear diffs. Can shift up to 70% power to the rear axle.

PROBLEM: Limited to 50% power to the rear in some scenarios due to diff design. More expensive maintenance.

Last edited by AstulzerRZD; 11-15-2015 at 03:19 PM.
AstulzerRZD is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: