REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-24-2022, 02:47 PM   #951
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
The Rivian might be able to pull 7700lbs, but you're not going to get anywhere near 480km range with that. Everything that I have seen regarding towing and EV's is that you expect your range to decrease by 2/3rds or more when towing.
Yup. From an aerodynamic stand point, to the extra weight to get going and maintaining speed.

Look at a gas powered trucks. Fuel economy drops when you are pulling a load.
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 03:06 PM   #952
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
The Rivian might be able to pull 7700lbs, but you're not going to get anywhere near 480km range with that. Everything that I have seen regarding towing and EV's is that you expect your range to decrease by 2/3rds or more when towing.
How much does range drop on an ICE truck when towing?
Koflach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 03:26 PM   #953
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koflach View Post
How much does range drop on an ICE truck when towing?
Proportionally, not nearly as much as an EV. Gas has much greater energy density per pound than batteries, so even though ICE's are like 30% efficient, they can carry 200 times more energy with them.

I've posted this video, in this thread to this very point:

These guys pull 2000lbs with their Model X P100 (Rated for 5000lbs) and have to give up because it would have added an extra day (7+hours of charging) to their trip versus a gas truck:

2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions

Last edited by Great68; 01-24-2022 at 04:09 PM.
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2022, 03:55 PM   #954
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
Two colleagues I work with have model X’s and they say towing almost anything cuts the range in half. I think older X’s though if that makes a difference.

Been seeing some of those ioniqs around, rear end looks kinda cool, the front doesn’t look nearly as nice as the press shots etc.
Old 01-24-2022, 05:37 PM   #955
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by white rocket View Post
I guess I'd want an 8 passenger EV SUV with a 600kms range and 7000lb towing capacity. Does that exist? I'll research but quick answers are welcome.
probably tundra hybrid as stopgap
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 05:48 PM   #956
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
i was surprised the spanking new LX only gained 4 extra mpg after like 15 years of advancements...with turbos it's gonna be even worse in real world?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 07:18 PM   #957
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Thanks all. Definitely loving the Rivian. Videos of its capability are just nuts. Quietly dominating trails with ground clearance for days. Just crazy. But we're highway road tripping and not doing Moab so not sure if those off road features really matter all that much. Hummer also looks interesting and super fast. Silverado and Lightning are contenders too despite my distaste for all things Ford, GMC, FCA. I believe all of these to be in the $120k range pre-tax give or take depending on options. That's what I would expect to pay for a full size EV seating 7 or offering half ton pick up truck skills. Maybe $150K tops. I'd like to catch a sale and get a replacement sorted before this crazy hot market comes tumbling down. I'd no doubt make money selling either the LX or Tundra but not sure if there is a full-on replacement for either right now. I might be spectating for a bit.

I almost want to pick up a >$50K EV of any kind and just live in that world for a few months and see how I like it. Then decide which of our gas guzzlers to replace once we decide we like the whole EV lifestyle. But then that's a waste of capital when the idea is to save money in the end. Or maybe I make an EV the "fun car" too. I know I shit on Tesla but I've seen some pretty trick looking Model 3's. Low, kitted, etc. I kinda wanted a $50k hot hatch or an ND2 for a while but then that just fizzled out. Is there anything fun in the EV world in that price range?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
probably tundra hybrid as stopgap
But then it's just a hybrid and not a full HOV lane no gasoline bill EV. I do dig the new Tundra and would definitely consider it as a replacement but that's still a few years out. 2024 before I'd buy one probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
i was surprised the spanking new LX only gained 4 extra mpg after like 15 years of advancements...with turbos it's gonna be even worse in real world?
I love the new LX but yea, no Hybrid MAX like the Tundra giving it that mega torque and with gas prices going bananas it's all about moving to full EV for at least one vehicle anyway. Silverado/Rivian truck/Lighting and a new LX? Or an Audi E-tron/Rivian SUV and a new Tundra?

Last edited by white rocket; 01-24-2022 at 07:28 PM.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:36 PM   #958
G
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Two colleagues I work with have model X’s and they say towing almost anything cuts the range in half. I think older X’s though if that makes a difference.

Been seeing some of those ioniqs around, rear end looks kinda cool, the front doesn’t look nearly as nice as the press shots etc.
I've been eyeing the ioniq5, gonna go test drive this weekend. Definitely the best bang for its buck EV car out there rn... Anyone in this thread have one?
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 10:57 PM   #959
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
Quote:
Maybe $150K tops.
Quote:
the idea is to save money in the end.
wat
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-25-2022, 12:41 AM   #960
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,751 Times in 1,182 Posts
As a person who have switched to EV fully and advocates them heavily, I'd stick it to a commuting vehicle for now.

Especially if you are looking at towing anything or going outside of the city, you'd want a very comprehensive charging network that you can rely on. And really... outside of Tesla, the experience is not great. So, if you are not planning to get a Tesla for your first EV, I'd suggest using whatever EV you end up getting almost strictly as a commuting vehicle inside the city. You are not going to like what EV has to offer if you are planning to use it for anything else than that without being a Tesla. I've met many people who went EV without going to Tesla, and they either stick with city/short-trip only, or eventually got a Tesla just so that they can do roadtrips.
Old 01-25-2022, 06:57 AM   #961
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
I've been eyeing the ioniq5, gonna go test drive this weekend. Definitely the best bang for its buck EV car out there rn... Anyone in this thread have one?
Getting the top range Ultimate model near the end of Feb.

I was looking at the options list, basically you don't want the base model as the Essential trim doesn't have a heat pump and in Vancouver that's kinda needed. $47k for a Preferred isn't bad it gives you all the things you would want.

Thing is if you're talking about bargain, you can't forget about the ID4. That starts at $45k, it has more power than the Ioniq and has heat pump with the base model. If you want AWD that's $50k comparing to Ioniq's $55k. That said, the Ioniq AWD does have more power, range is similar at about 400km
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
G
Old 01-25-2022, 07:54 AM   #962
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
And really... outside of Tesla, the experience is not great. So, if you are not planning to get a Tesla for your first EV, I'd suggest using whatever EV you end up getting almost strictly as a commuting vehicle inside the city. You are not going to like what EV has to offer if you are planning to use it for anything else than that without being a Tesla. I've met many people who went EV without going to Tesla, and they either stick with city/short-trip only, or eventually got a Tesla just so that they can do roadtrips.
So dumb question here but how does one who own say, an eGolf or an Ioniq plan a trip to say Banff? You plan your stops/breaks at cities with paid charging stations? If so, I don't think you can make it in one day. Drive is like 10-12 hours with an ICE.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:38 AM   #963
Media Officer / MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
So dumb question here but how does one who own say, an eGolf or an Ioniq plan a trip to say Banff? You plan your stops/breaks at cities with paid charging stations? If so, I don't think you can make it in one day. Drive is like 10-12 hours with an ICE.
Charge at superchargers/ DC fast charge to reduce charging times. It's going to be longer than ICE for sure.

This is a pretty good video of what to expect on road trips
Old 01-25-2022, 08:49 AM   #964

We love doing road trips hence why I'm still leaning towards hybrids. But my question can plug in hybrids still function if one can't access a charging station? I assume it'll just stay on gas mode the whole time?
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:59 AM   #965
Media Officer / MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
We love doing road trips hence why I'm still leaning towards hybrids. But my question can plug in hybrids still function if one can't access a charging station? I assume it'll just stay on gas mode the whole time?
Correct, PHEV acts as hybrid vehicles once the charge for full EV mode runs out.

Generally speaking, if you don't ever plug it in it's also fine. It just runs as a hybrid but less efficient overall.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-25-2022, 09:01 AM   #966
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
The ICE should still charge the battery while it's running. The plug in capability just means that you can top up the battery from mains power.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:04 AM   #967
Media Officer / MOD

Quote:
The ICE should still charge the battery while it's running. The plug in capability just means that you can top up the battery from mains power.
In most cases the engine will not charge the PHEV battery to full during normal operation. Some cars have a button where you can charge that PHEV battery but it's not efficient, better off plugging it into the wall when you can.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:05 AM   #968

Quote:
As a person who have switched to EV fully and advocates them heavily, I'd stick it to a commuting vehicle for now.

Especially if you are looking at towing anything or going outside of the city, you'd want a very comprehensive charging network that you can rely on. And really... outside of Tesla, the experience is not great. So, if you are not planning to get a Tesla for your first EV, I'd suggest using whatever EV you end up getting almost strictly as a commuting vehicle inside the city. You are not going to like what EV has to offer if you are planning to use it for anything else than that without being a Tesla. I've met many people who went EV without going to Tesla, and they either stick with city/short-trip only, or eventually got a Tesla just so that they can do roadtrips.
That's some solid advice. Thank you. And sort of the conclusion I've come to, hence looking to add to the fleet to see it it makes sense first rather than swapping immediately. If EV is not for me then just sell the EV and wait for the infrastructure to improve or my intended use to change. It's really the in-town stuff that has an ICE looking terrible from a mpg standpoint but we also need the truck bed and sometimes more than 5 seats in those in-town settings. Decisions, decisions.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:11 AM   #969
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
I don't know the exact details of their trip, but my friends took their Ioniq to Calgary and back no problem.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:57 AM   #970
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,751 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
That's some solid advice. Thank you. And sort of the conclusion I've come to, hence looking to add to the fleet to see it it makes sense first rather than swapping immediately. If EV is not for me then just sell the EV and wait for the infrastructure to improve or my intended use to change. It's really the in-town stuff that has an ICE looking terrible from a mpg standpoint but we also need the truck bed and sometimes more than 5 seats in those in-town settings. Decisions, decisions.
We just don't have EV that's a do-it-all option. It's always about compromises. Yes, you have SUV/Crossovers/Sedans and whatever, but they just haven't gotten everything out yet, in your case, something to tow/do roadtrips. Maybe by the time Cybertruck actually hit the market, we'd have something decent as it's spec'd to make 500 miles (the top trim at least). And even cutting that by half when towing is included, 250miles on a charge is more than decent as the distance between one supercharger to another is usually far less than that. With EVs, you are not always charging to full at every charge stop, but just enough to make it to the next one. And you want it that way because low SOC (state of charge) means faster charging.

With that in mind though, if one's looking for a vehicle to drive in the city, there's very little reason to not go EV, even if you don't drive all that much. The low cost of operation is night and day difference when comparing vehicles in the same price range.

My friend had a BMW 320, and drives about 12000km a year. He switched to a Model 3 RWD/SR+ and couldn't be happier. As he drives relatively little. He just relies on the 110v plug he's got on the wall and it works fine for him. The only regret he had was not buying it earlier. No oil leak/burn/gas price/service to worry about and the few road trips that he did (up to Whistler/Kelowna and down to LA), the supercharger network served him fine. He calls it the ultimate city vehicle, which is hard to argue.

Many people hesitate to go EV because of fear of range anxiety, and I'd say that's the case with non-Tesla EVs. But Tesla got it quite figured out unless you are going to the middle of nowhere. Anything that's along major hwys, and inside large metros, Tesla's charging network got it covered. People in even Model 3 SR+, which is the lowest range Tesla out there, have done cross Canada/US trips without a hitch.

When I went full EV, the idea was simple. 99.5% of my trips can be covered with EV. And if it ever comes to that 0.5% of chances, I'd just rent. The difference in operating cost can allow me to rent specific vehicles that I need many times in the year. And for the 2+yrs of full EV, I've only needed to rent a truck once because I needed to haul a lot of stuff up to Revelstoke. And as I said, once the Cybertruck gets here, it'd probably cover the full 100% of my needs ever imaginable with a car.
Old 01-25-2022, 12:21 PM   #971

^^^Outstanding. Thank you again.

Agreed 100% as the ultimate city vehicle. I like the idea of having a small boot-around-town car and also having a large SUV and truck on-hand. If anything, it keeps the mileage and chance of a collision low on the ICE vehicles prepping them for eventual sale if we can swing life without one of them. We do have a large dog that only does well in a vehicle in a crate so the SUV is pretty crucial for hauling him around though.
Old 01-25-2022, 12:40 PM   #972
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post

Just picked this up two days ago. This is the mid level trim, Preferred RWD Long Range which is rated for 488km range.

There are some rumors out there that Hyundai Canada is no longer taking reservations for 2022 models and all orders here on out are going to be 2023. But you can try calling local dealerships to see if they have any unallocated units.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Ioniq5/comm...out_in_canada/
MaceWindu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 01:26 AM   #973
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
We just don't have EV that's a do-it-all option. It's always about compromises. Yes, you have SUV/Crossovers/Sedans and whatever, but they just haven't gotten everything out yet, in your case, something to tow/do roadtrips. Maybe by the time Cybertruck actually hit the market, we'd have something decent as it's spec'd to make 500 miles (the top trim at least). And even cutting that by half when towing is included, 250miles on a charge is more than decent as the distance between one supercharger to another is usually far less than that. With EVs, you are not always charging to full at every charge stop, but just enough to make it to the next one. And you want it that way because low SOC (state of charge) means faster charging.

With that in mind though, if one's looking for a vehicle to drive in the city, there's very little reason to not go EV, even if you don't drive all that much. The low cost of operation is night and day difference when comparing vehicles in the same price range.

My friend had a BMW 320, and drives about 12000km a year. He switched to a Model 3 RWD/SR+ and couldn't be happier. As he drives relatively little. He just relies on the 110v plug he's got on the wall and it works fine for him. The only regret he had was not buying it earlier. No oil leak/burn/gas price/service to worry about and the few road trips that he did (up to Whistler/Kelowna and down to LA), the supercharger network served him fine. He calls it the ultimate city vehicle, which is hard to argue.

Many people hesitate to go EV because of fear of range anxiety, and I'd say that's the case with non-Tesla EVs. But Tesla got it quite figured out unless you are going to the middle of nowhere. Anything that's along major hwys, and inside large metros, Tesla's charging network got it covered. People in even Model 3 SR+, which is the lowest range Tesla out there, have done cross Canada/US trips without a hitch.

When I went full EV, the idea was simple. 99.5% of my trips can be covered with EV. And if it ever comes to that 0.5% of chances, I'd just rent. The difference in operating cost can allow me to rent specific vehicles that I need many times in the year. And for the 2+yrs of full EV, I've only needed to rent a truck once because I needed to haul a lot of stuff up to Revelstoke. And as I said, once the Cybertruck gets here, it'd probably cover the full 100% of my needs ever imaginable with a car.
You've nailed it. That also echo along to get a less range EV that is not a Tesla. The price difference is $7K-20K comparing a 200km range EV to a 400km+ EV. It falls back to your theory of fitting 90+% of your daily need.

a Model 3 SR+ ($59.9k) vs Leaf 40kwh ($38K) vs Niro ($45K)
M Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 06:48 AM   #974
Media Officer / MOD

Quote:
Thanks all. Definitely loving the Rivian. Videos of its capability are just nuts. Quietly dominating trails with ground clearance for days. Just crazy. But we're highway road tripping and not doing Moab so not sure if those off road features really matter all that much. Hummer also looks interesting and super fast. Silverado and Lightning are contenders too despite my distaste for all things Ford, GMC, FCA. I believe all of these to be in the $120k range pre-tax give or take depending on options. That's what I would expect to pay for a full size EV seating 7 or offering half ton pick up truck skills. Maybe $150K tops. I'd like to catch a sale and get a replacement sorted before this crazy hot market comes tumbling down. I'd no doubt make money selling either the LX or Tundra but not sure if there is a full-on replacement for either right now. I might be spectating for a bit.

I almost want to pick up a >$50K EV of any kind and just live in that world for a few months and see how I like it. Then decide which of our gas guzzlers to replace once we decide we like the whole EV lifestyle. But then that's a waste of capital when the idea is to save money in the end. Or maybe I make an EV the "fun car" too. I know I shit on Tesla but I've seen some pretty trick looking Model 3's. Low, kitted, etc. I kinda wanted a $50k hot hatch or an ND2 for a while but then that just fizzled out. Is there anything fun in the EV world in that price range?

But then it's just a hybrid and not a full HOV lane no gasoline bill EV. I do dig the new Tundra and would definitely consider it as a replacement but that's still a few years out. 2024 before I'd buy one probably.

I love the new LX but yea, no Hybrid MAX like the Tundra giving it that mega torque and with gas prices going bananas it's all about moving to full EV for at least one vehicle anyway. Silverado/Rivian truck/Lighting and a new LX? Or an Audi E-tron/Rivian SUV and a new Tundra?
Maybe a solid choice would be the next Sequoia.

Standard hybrid motor, 9000lb towing, 3 rows of seats. Sure you won't get the HOV access with this but it should save you a few bucks at the pumps.

Standing Tall: All-New 2023 Sequoia Full-Size SUV is Ready to Make its Mark | Toyota Canada

This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2022, 07:08 AM   #975
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
So how much was that Ioniq Mace?

swear they look fantastic in pictures but kinda less so on the road lol