REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-17-2023, 10:17 AM   #2376
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
cybertruck is such a dumb car.
creates a need for a truck for people who dont need a truck.
it's the escalade all over again.
Advertisement
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 10:22 AM   #2377
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,398 Times in 5,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
What's bad about it? I haven't driven the latest face lift one, but I drove a 21 and it seems fine. Coworker has one and no complaints either.
Crappy build quality, almost no range on the battery, harsh/bumpy ride, if you don't plug it in all the time and the drive battery dies, you have to take it back to the dealer to have it reset.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2023, 11:21 AM   #2378
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,721 Times in 891 Posts
I thought you aren't allowed to run the battery to 0% there's always a min to keep the battery health and it will auto charge if it gets low
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 11:27 AM   #2379

Thanked 4,560 Times in 1,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaoTurbo View Post
Plug in tech is seriously no good, IMO it felt like PHEV is a manufacturer's pilot program to test their EV technology out and shove it down customer's throats to be the test bunny. Then when everything matures and smooths out they roll out the real EV cars.
Crazy enough if was the first time driving one of these newer PHEVs.

Sounds like that Mitsubishi is garbage, but I assume other PHEVs work similarly?

I honestly believed the tech was better, I did not expect the battery to have the capacity of an iPhone

I assume the general idea with these PHEVs is that you drive around the city for no more than 10-20 KMs and go home and charge for the day?

So essentially you get a shitty battery, and at the same time a shitty little gas powered engine? I dunno, I might be pivoting on my opinion on these current PHEVs if that's the case.

You have the option to turn the battery motor off and charge it back using gas while you're driving, however I'm not sure how much driving you'd need to do in order to recharge the battery.

All in all, I wasn't impressed. I don't see a PHEV in my future at least for a while here, thinking hybrid is a better option.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 11:31 AM   #2380
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
creates a need for a truck for people who dont need a truck.
That is the majority of truck buyers today lol.
Alpine is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2023, 11:39 AM   #2381

A phev is a hybrid
Old 03-17-2023, 11:42 AM   #2382
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,100 Times in 971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Crappy build quality, almost no range on the battery, harsh/bumpy ride, if you don't plug it in all the time and the drive battery dies, you have to take it back to the dealer to have it reset.
Not to mention cheap as crap interior.
Old 03-18-2023, 01:05 PM   #2383

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
A phev is a hybrid
Not exactly. PHEVs you can plug-in, hybrids you can't, that's what I more meant.

We live in a condo so the plugin functionality is pretty pointless for us, given the complete lack of battery capacity, and lack of ability to charge on a regular basis anyways (condo).
Old 03-18-2023, 01:12 PM   #2384

To add to this, apparently some PHEVs actually perform worse in terms of fuel efficiency than hybrids, once the electric portion has been depleted. Which is my case driving that Mitsubishi was about 15-20kms..

Given the amount of road trips we do in the year whether lakes trip in summer, or ski trips in winter, hybrid seems to be the much better option as opposed to PHEV, for us at least.
Old 03-18-2023, 08:51 PM   #2385
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,502 Times in 1,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
To add to this, apparently some PHEVs actually perform worse in terms of fuel efficiency than hybrids, once the electric portion has been depleted. Which is my case driving that Mitsubishi was about 15-20kms..

Given the amount of road trips we do in the year whether lakes trip in summer, or ski trips in winter, hybrid seems to be the much better option as opposed to PHEV, for us at least.
Initial reviews from the euro spec Mazda CX-70 PHEV mentions terrible fuel economy after the battery is depleted. Like about 500km on a tank of gas.

EDIT: Totally got the cars mixed up, meant to say Euro Spec CX-60 PHEV
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.

Last edited by TypeRNammer; 03-20-2023 at 08:23 PM.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 09:05 PM   #2386
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,902 Times in 749 Posts
^ That's better than our Forester XT but we're about 80% city driving
jing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 09:19 PM   #2387
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Thanked 1,393 Times in 191 Posts

Went to try a Polestar 2 Performance today. Performance pack comes with Ohlins adjustable dampers, Brembo 4 pot aluminum brakes, forged wheels, 475ish HP and 500ish torques. All of that masked its 2,100kg weight really well. It felt tight and really well put together. More than quick enough to get around and surprise anyone who have left an open space for it to squirt into silently. I did expect more thrust when the price of a Model 3 Performance is cheaper. But then again a buyer of this car would probably appreciate more, excellent build quality over just plain power. The interior felt more cozy and it had an actual cockpit which feels more normal. But space was wasted because this chassis platform is based on an ICE model. I expect a second generation to have more usable space due to a transmission and driveshaft tunnel that doesn’t exist in EVs. Any Volvo diehard with the cash would feel comfy with this car.

I’m glad there is decent competition in the market to keep everyone pushing to create a compelling product. Once supply chains get way better than now, public charge infrastructure improves and pricing falls in line with the majority of people’s justification…more and more competition will be relevant.
Old 03-19-2023, 07:01 AM   #2388
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Really interesting car. Hope it goes into production.

Sandy Munro has invested in the company.

Old 03-19-2023, 07:34 AM   #2389

Thanked 1,182 Times in 478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverT View Post
... Once supply chains get way better than now, public charge infrastructure improves and pricing falls in line with the majority of people’s justification…more and more competition will be relevant.
Are there plans for all that by 2030?
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 09:13 AM   #2390

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post

I strongly believe if you're aiming for something, even if you don't achieve it, you'll still be somewhere further than where you started. If things are not good by that time I’m pretty confident that goals will change and be reassessed.

If Norway can start at 3% sold as BEV a decade ago and today over 80% sold is BEV with the goal of 100% in a couple years being hit early, I’m sure others can do similar but more aggressive incentives will need to be in place for that to happen. It’ll just be interesting to see what happens in the next five years, here and in many other places in the world where goals have been set which seem unrealistic but no matter what, progression will be made.
Old 03-19-2023, 11:38 AM   #2391

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
Everyone keeps telling me that, but do you trust the government? Lol
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 07:46 PM   #2392
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRNammer View Post
Initial reviews from the euro spec Mazda CX-70 PHEV mentions terrible fuel economy after the battery is depleted. Like about 500km on a tank of gas.
It's unfortunate but true. We can probably expect < 30km of range from the CX90 on battery, and then > 12L/100km afterward.
Even the mild hybrid CX90 is officially rated at ~10L/100km. Real-world driving will be significantly worse.
Alpine is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2023, 10:22 PM   #2393

Wow saw an aryia on the street tonight and it's small just barely bigger than a Kia soul, and has the same bubble profile as a third gen crv.
Old 03-22-2023, 11:24 AM   #2394
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,320 Times in 331 Posts
Quote:
Went to try a Polestar 2 Performance today. Performance pack comes with Ohlins adjustable dampers, Brembo 4 pot aluminum brakes, forged wheels, 475ish HP and 500ish torques. All of that masked its 2,100kg weight really well. It felt tight and really well put together. More than quick enough to get around and surprise anyone who have left an open space for it to squirt into silently. I did expect more thrust when the price of a Model 3 Performance is cheaper. But then again a buyer of this car would probably appreciate more, excellent build quality over just plain power. The interior felt more cozy and it had an actual cockpit which feels more normal. But space was wasted because this chassis platform is based on an ICE model. I expect a second generation to have more usable space due to a transmission and driveshaft tunnel that doesn’t exist in EVs. Any Volvo diehard with the cash would feel comfy with this car.

I’m glad there is decent competition in the market to keep everyone pushing to create a compelling product. Once supply chains get way better than now, public charge infrastructure improves and pricing falls in line with the majority of people’s justification…more and more competition will be relevant.
I don't really like the proportions of the Polestar 2, an EV S60 would look much nicer to me
RacePace is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2023, 12:13 PM   #2395

Thanked 3,100 Times in 971 Posts
Seen a brand new Toyota Crown EV at Langley Toyota a couple weeks back
Old 03-22-2023, 12:19 PM   #2396
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,292 Times in 2,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegra7 View Post
Seen a brand new Toyota Crown EV at Langley Toyota a couple weeks back
The rear end of that car is even more awkward IRL than in photos.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 01:34 PM   #2397
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:

I missed the test drive event in Richmond but saw the BST 270 in person and it looked sharp. The 1-inch drop gives the car a much better stance and Polestar should ship all their performance models like that from factory.

radeonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2023, 02:10 PM   #2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by radeonboy View Post
I missed the test drive event in Richmond but saw the BST 270 in person and it looked sharp. The 1-inch drop gives the car a much better stance and Polestar should ship all their performance models like that from factory.
After driving the Performance, I agree. It’s kind of like how BMW M has a normal version and a competition version. Something to up-sell and make more profit while creating a couple classes within the performance division.
Old 03-22-2023, 02:50 PM   #2399
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
I’ve always felt the polestar looks like a mashup between 3-4 different manufacturers base models lol
Old 03-22-2023, 04:04 PM   #2400
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
I dunno guys, I think I'm holding out for the BYD Han:

Built in Karaoke am I right?

lol
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote