REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Tesla Model 3 first look coming March 31 as pressures mount (https://www.revscene.net/forums/707593-tesla-model-3-first-look-coming-march-31-pressures-mount.html)

Nlkko 08-11-2019 11:26 AM

So many Teslas in Vancouver now, it's the new Corollas.

twitchyzero 08-11-2019 11:30 AM

it's the new bmw 3-series in town

Koflach 08-11-2019 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 8956349)
it's the new bmw 3-series in town

yup. even in langley it's getting pretty common. I was at a stop light on Friday and there was me in my red one, a white one in front of me and another white one on my left.

Manic! 08-11-2019 09:44 PM

A used BMW 3 series is the new used civic. So many high school students own one.

asian_XL 08-12-2019 05:53 AM

:alone:counting down....1 more month before picking up my M3P

TouringTeg 08-12-2019 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8956414)
A used BMW 3 series is the new used civic. So many high school students own one.

Neighbour high school kid got a beater 4 door E46 3 series. For 2 years it sits in the grass rotting away because he got a reliable 98+ Prelude to drive. He should get rid of it already.

Same over here so many Tesla Model 3. You can thanks the rebates for that.

twitchyzero 08-12-2019 08:01 PM

i'd hit it

https://cdn.motor1.com/images/mgl/y8...3-roadster.jpg

GS8 08-17-2019 05:33 PM

I'm not a Tesla follower but I saw this video. I guess they've been regularly updating this feature. It's quite amusing to watch.

Although the dude is an idiot for constantly standing in front of it and, thus, confusing it, it does showcase what it might do if say a random bicyclist or shopping cart crossed its path.

RickyTan3 08-22-2019 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asian_XL (Post 8956433)
:alone:counting down....1 more month before picking up my M3P

1 month?

I placed an order it said 3 weeks but in my account says 2 weeks...

WHY SO LONG?

Badhobz 08-26-2019 09:58 AM

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/08/24...ca-top-20/amp/

Holy crap. Toyota is awesome !!!

Alpine 08-26-2019 03:13 PM

Honestly, they need to scale insurance rates based on repair costs. Almost any type of bumper swipe to a Tesla that damages a sensor is $10k.

Jmac 08-26-2019 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badhobz (Post 8958133)

The numbers in their table are ... questionable.

Just looking at the Camry LE 5-year cost of ownership:
- Who is dropping $4k USD on maintenance and repairs on a brand new Camry over the first 5 years?
- A 2015 Camry LE had an MSRP of $23,850 CAD (Toyota.ca) when it came out in October 2014. 5 years later less a handful of weeks, they’re going for between $14,900 and $17,000 on Autotrader.ca in BC. You’re telling me a Camry that currently has a WORST CASE 38% loss in value is going to balloon to a 64% loss 5 years later? While an Audi A5 is retaining almost half its value?

Hehe 08-27-2019 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmac (Post 8958173)
The numbers in their table are ... questionable.

Just looking at the Camry LE 5-year cost of ownership:
- Who is dropping $4k USD on maintenance and repairs on a brand new Camry over the first 5 years?
- A 2015 Camry LE had an MSRP of $23,850 CAD (Toyota.ca) when it came out in October 2014. 5 years later less a handful of weeks, they’re going for between $14,900 and $17,000 on Autotrader.ca in BC. You’re telling me a Camry that currently has a WORST CASE 38% loss in value is going to balloon to a 64% loss 5 years later? While an Audi A5 is retaining almost half its value?

The maintenance is not totally out of whack either if one follows the dealer supplied schedule (which, unfortunately, most people do).

I don't deal with Toyota, so I can't speak, but Honda, which should be similar to Toyota's... we have an Odyssey (well, in-laws... but we get to use often) and they have been to 4 services so far? I'd guesstimate that we have spent about 1200 in service already. Some aren't needed imo... but I'm not going to discuss with my wife's dad when it's his car. And he just does everything the dealer "recommends" him to do. And that's for 2yrs... then the big services will start to come at roughly 60k and 100k, which should be done by the time it hits 5yrs old.

Either way, there's no comparison when it comes to maintenance between ICE and EV. Tesla needs little to nothing. Maybe some lubrication here and there.... but there isn't much in there that can move or be consumed.

twitchyzero 08-27-2019 07:25 AM

Tesla needing 'nothing' is not an argument in favour against the average honda/toyota

slightly more frequent brake job and oil change broken down to annual costs is likely the difference of less than $100 in consumables

i agree it's not fair because not everyone does simple wrenching..but add in labour costs for any indie shop that can work on these commonplace appliances and it's still rather reasonable...but good luck finding a shop that knows how to work on tesla let's say sensors needing recalib or needing new body work without a ridiculous wait

unless of course you drive an Odyssey...get your wallet ready for a tranny rebuild

so be smart and buy something proven...Model 3 is not proven when it comes to longevity/durability (yet?) which might be justified if you get something stupid like 10k back in incentives....but from a maintenance perspective it's honestly not as drastic as these EV elitist blogs try to make it out as when pitted against Japanese platforms with very good track records

JDMDreams 08-27-2019 08:19 AM

What kinda discounts are you guys getting at Tesla? I checked their site and seems like there is $8000 total, 5 from Fed? And 3 from provincial? Anything else if you trade in?

Hehe 08-27-2019 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDMDreams (Post 8958223)
What kinda discounts are you guys getting at Tesla? I checked their site and seems like there is $8000 total, 5 from Fed? And 3 from provincial? Anything else if you trade in?

I believe he was referring to the old program where both provincial and federal are 5k and stackable.

It's true that Model 3 isn't yet proven. But the saving in gas and maintenance in EV is just a fact. It doesn't matter if it's Tesla, Kia or whoever out there.

EV drivetrains are far more efficient and simple (in design) comparing to their ICE counterparts. The absolute best thermal efficient ICE on road is a 1.3L Toyota at roughly 38% vs. Tesla at 85-90%. Too much energy is wasted as heat in ICE.

My Mini cooper, which is quite good on gas overall at 7.2L/100km costs 7.2*1.55 (it needs premium)= roughly $11. A Model 3 probably needs about 15kw at most? 1kw is 14cents with BC Hydro. That means $2.10 for the same 100km of driving. Even if you add the 20% loss in charging, that still make it under $3.

Yes, we'd get into the argument of how long it would take to get that saving back of a Model3 vs. a Camry on their costs. But if you compare cars in the same category (Model3 is mostly compared to BMW 3, Benz C-class due its pricing)... the medium-long term (say 100k km) saving on EV is quite significant.

And to say Tesla's reliability has yet to be proven... I'd say that if Model S is any indication, Model 3 should do just fine. I've met gen 1 Model S owners with over 150k on the odo and still drive pretty much the same as day 1. On ICE vehicle, you have the engine, transmission, clutch... etc to worry about simply because all the wear and tear that goes into them in the environment that those parts are under.

Koflach 08-27-2019 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 8958221)
Tesla needing 'nothing' is not an argument in favour against the average honda/toyota

slightly more frequent brake job and oil change broken down to annual costs is likely the difference of less than $100 in consumables

i agree it's not fair because not everyone does simple wrenching..but add in labour costs for any indie shop that can work on these commonplace appliances and it's still rather reasonable...but good luck finding a shop that knows how to work on tesla let's say sensors needing recalib or needing new body work without a ridiculous wait

unless of course you drive an Odyssey...get your wallet ready for a tranny rebuild

so be smart and buy something proven...Model 3 is not proven when it comes to longevity/durability (yet?) which might be justified if you get something stupid like 10k back in incentives....but from a maintenance perspective it's honestly not as drastic as these EV elitist blogs try to make it out as when pitted against Japanese platforms with very good track records

Today is 1 year with my Model 3 and I have spent a grand total of $0 on maintenance on it so far. Yesterday I had the best service experience ever. I had a minor issue with the car (Signal would stay on sometimes when I press halfway down on left turns) and they came to my house to fix it. 45 minutes later it was done as well as 2 safety recalls.

Keep in mind that it's not just about the cost of the maintenance but it's also your time as well.

twitchyzero 08-27-2019 12:40 PM

year 1, what's it like year 8?

what safety recall did they do in 15 min? plugged in a USB?

i guess it comes down to the individual...if you're someone who buys applecare and just bring it to the store with any issue then tesla's model can work well

i dont mind finding an afternoon to bang it out, but you're right, time is money...the comparison above shelling out thousands for a camry a year is ridiculous though

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hehe (Post 8958235)
Model S is any indication, Model 3 should do just fine. I've met gen 1 Model S owners with over 150k on the odo and still drive pretty much the same as day 1. On ICE vehicle, you have the engine, transmission, clutch... etc to worry about simply because all the wear and tear that goes into them in the environment that those parts are under.

Model S long term is not bad for their first mass produced model but still kinda average at best, and its production was not rushed unlike the X and 3

RickyTan3 09-09-2019 02:16 AM

I couldn’t wait for white on white and got silver on white.
I wish I swapped to Tesla sooner..

Most fun I’ve had in a car and so cheap!

asian_XL 09-09-2019 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickyTan3 (Post 8957575)
1 month?

I placed an order it said 3 weeks but in my account says 2 weeks...

WHY SO LONG?

Tesla Hong Kong called me saying it won't ready until end of Oct or even Nov.
FailFish.
My HRE FF01 20" is already on the way to my home, now has to wait for another month or so to put them on.

RickyTan3 09-12-2019 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asian_XL (Post 8959447)
Tesla Hong Kong called me saying it won't ready until end of Oct or even Nov.
FailFish.
My HRE FF01 20" is already on the way to my home, now has to wait for another month or so to put them on.

Oh you’re in hk. I wonder how the Tesla scene is there.
When I ordered a performance they said 2 weeks... they really need to learn how to under promise over deliver. After I took delivery of a my current one the sales person said they have few customers since July 15 waiting for white white as well..

twitchyzero 09-12-2019 08:41 PM

in their defense 7/15 is < 2 mos, which is not that long of a wait at all when ti comes to ordering a new car

RickyTan3 09-18-2019 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 8959768)
in their defense 7/15 is < 2 mos, which is not that long of a wait at all when ti comes to ordering a new car

I rather tesla say 3-4 weeks than 2 weeks flat. My friend ordered 1 and got delivery date 3 days later. Would make customers less pissed.

asian_XL 10-14-2019 10:39 PM

Tesla Hong Kong just called saying they no longer supply Base Performance Model worldwide, as I ordered White, they now offer me FREE RED colour upgrade!!!

:spamarama:

twitchyzero 11-12-2019 04:22 AM

lol beta testing at its finest
icbc will deny claims if smart summon fucks up

https://globalnews.ca/news/6131588/v...ong-side-road/